Sign in to follow this  
rocket

DayZ Zombie RPG (Unofficial Mod) Alpha

Said to hell with my schoolwork and downloaded the mod, after some frustrating attempts to get into a server, finally did and all I can say is WOW. This is the best zombie mod ever made, hands down.

Great stuff.

Fantastic stuff! Might I suggest in addition to permanently disabling the crosshair (which is the case on most of the servers by now) to also disable death messages? Should make things a lot more interesting in long-range or town fire fights. And it might add up nicely to the "Study bodies for their cause of death and name" option you just introduced!

Thank you so much for this amazing mod!

Rocket, are you on top of the glitch where direct chat isn't working?

It forces everyone to use side chat for every little thing, so anyone without TS3 spams the entire server with "Is that barn clear? Oh god, zombies! Want to trade?"

Worse, it makes communicating with survivors you encounter very difficult. It makes everyone paranoid and they shoot each other out of self defense. There's already enough reasons for banditry without making artificial ones.

Also, everyone starts with pistols, and if you climb a ladder with a pistol, you fall and break your legs. Anything you can do about that?

As for the ingame VON / direct communications, why not implement ACRE in the long run? I know this has been brought up more than often and it may be not too great for the alpha, of course, as it further reduces user compatibility but the radio enhancements would fit into the whole scenario oh so very nicely.

Make it ACRE compatible, and allow it on servers? Yes please, I'd love to use actual radios rather than side chat.

Require it? I won't protest because I know it would never happen anyways. I would like to see some optional restrictions of global/side chat, though. Not very atmospheric when your screen is always a blue wall of text.

As for the ingame VON / direct communications, why not implement ACRE in the long run? I know this has been brought up more than often and it may be not too great for the alpha, of course, as it further reduces user compatibility but the radio enhancements would fit into the whole scenario oh so very nicely.

No sorry. Keep it as open as possible.... THAT is why is it so popular.

Yeah, it occurs to me that without all the side chat spam, playing solo would be so realistically alienating and depressing as to make the game actually not fun.

make side chat an option to turn on and off. and maybe let the player decide if others can see his death message.

some guys want to play sneaky some not..

Yeah. Be good to hide non-direct chat entirely. I don't want to watch hundreds of players joining the server, getting their mods rejected, having their battleye crash, etc.

Seriously, a good quarter of my monitor was taken up with idiots getting kicked for having non-signed mods.

I don't really know if anyone 'tweaked' the Zombie's sensitivity for Ears/Eyes.

In 1.5.1 version they seem to discover you very easily from distance in comparison with older version. (btw i played day..)

Six times in a row trying to start with a new character, and I just end up with a floating that does nothing.

You guys realize that this is just a mod, not a renovation of the Arma engine, right? Asking to disable a specific chat channel is way out there. Same goes for stuff that the AI just is or isn't able to do at the end of the day.

Edited by Celery

I sat at the "Requesting character data from server" screen for 15 minutes earlier. Then I got into the game and spawned out in the wasteland outside the map along with a bunch of other player models. Not sure what the deal is.

I'm assuming it's a problem with the database server being tremendously overloaded because literally everyone is trying to play this right now? LoL

I have noticed that you can't refill your water bottle in ponds and small lakes in-land, so if you don't find soda cans, you are screwed when you are way up north... Btw, would be nice if you could fish eventually. :)

Edited by Necramonium

You're supposed to fill water bottles at wells. I don't imagine that there's any real way to distinguish salt water from fresh.

can't refill your water bottle in ponds and small lakes in-land

I was told you can, you just have to go in a little deeper into the water.

Fishing ..... now theres an idea. Shotgun might be useful after all !

Yes you can indeed fill water bottles at inland lakes/ponds. You just have to find somewhere deep enough to swim, then the option appears. Hopefully this will be changed so you can fill from the bank.

You guys realize that this is just a mod, not a renovation of the Arma engine, right? Asking to disable a specific chat channel is way out there. Same goes for stuff that the AI just is or isn't able to do at the end of the day.

You should at least be able to make it invisible, or barely visible;

class RscChatListDefault{
   colorBackground[] = {0.6275,0.6275,0.6275,0.33};
   colorGlobalChannel[] = {"0.606*1.4","0.606*1.4","0.606*1.4",1};
   colorSideChannel[] = {"0.196*1.4","0.592*1.4","0.706*1.4",1};
   colorCommandChannel[] = {"0.8275*1.4","0.8196*1.4","0.1961*1.4",1};
   colorGroupChannel[] = {0.4,0.6745,0.2784,1};
   colorVehicleChannel[] = {"0.863*1.4","0.584*1.4","0*1.4.0",1};
   colorDirectChannel[] = {0.95,0.95,0.95,1};
   colorPlayerChannel[] = {0.8,0.7,1,1};
   colorPlayerBackground[] = {0.1725,0.2196,0.1451,0.5};

There's also a section

class RadioChannels{

but on first sight that doesn't seem to be helpful.

Did they remove the military camp in stary sobor? I can't see it anymore :s

Sickboy to the rescue!

Impressive work.

You're on the path to taking over the multiplayer community completely.

dayz_popularity.png

A few pages earlier there was a brief discussion about something more to do, some bigger plan/mission. What if you survive x amount of hours, or maybe manage to repair/build a helicopter and fly away you can later join other servers that were previously locked for you? Maybe they could have another side mission so you can unlock another server and so on, atleast the "advanced server" should have some interesting tweak to the gameplay.

That would keep this "wild" gameplay but for the few that manage to survive and achieve some hard side mission can then join a server where the gameplay is a little bit more structured. If your character dies you have to start all over and you loose your "advanced server" privileges.

Just a thought.

There's also a section but on first sight that doesn't seem to be helpful.

The bigger issue is that the chat channels are a part of the game, and removing them only makes it harder to get a message across.

The bigger issue is that the chat channels are a part of the game, and removing them only makes it harder to get a message across.

Sure, but then there's still amount, size, position, color (/transparancy) etc left :)

---------- Post added at 14:09 ---------- Previous post was at 14:08 ----------

Impressive work.

You're on the path to taking over the multiplayer community completely.

http://arma2.swec.se/dayz_popularity.png

Indeed impressive work and numbers, even reaching highest concurrent player marks http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?115832-MP-player-and-server-stats&p=2142461&viewfull=1#post2142461