Sign in to follow this  
gammadust

SOPA - Internet as we know it about to be gone?

Legislator;2095328']Well let's add an interesting feature to this discussion as I've read a lot about piracy here. Did you know that the german publisher Morphicon Ltd. is pursuing downloaders of ArmA II since june 2009? They use laywers and semi-legal companies (see list).

So something is not fitting here. If BIS is contra-SOPA' date=' why do they act pro-ACTA (through the hands of the publisher)? :confused:[/quote']

Being against SOPA / PIPA / ACTA doesn't mean you endorse illegal downloading of content. (well, sorry, "downloading of illegal content" may be better worded :) )

Hi all

In reply to [GLT] Legislator in the past your only method of getting to the Market was through the clutches of Not really "Producers", a marketing lie they do not actualy produce they leach so a more correct description would be the leachers.

As the internet is improved and methods of seccuring content release via the internet have improved, first with Steam and now with the Developer centric products like BIS's own Sprocket system the developers have gained new channels with which to distribute their products, but if a distribution chain pays for the right to distribute a product in a country where perhaps internet distribution is not permitted or generally accepted BIS are just like any other firm out to make a profit. If the Morphicon deal was better for them at the time or if they have an existing contract with Morphicon that does not allow them to get out of it, then needs must.

The fact is one a Producer has rights to distribution legally that is it as far as the developer is concerned. Heck there is probably a non disclosure contract paragraph that does not even permit BIS to so much as sneeze with regard to its distribution.

I think like any other form of Data based product the power is comming back to said developers, but artists who developed before the levels of broadband that now exist may well be chained to old fashioned technology by existing contracts or geospecific legal and social norms. Do most Germans now download their games or is Discs bought in the shop still the norm?

Kind regards walker

I guess that many people buy their stuff online, but the majority still prefers to have a hard copy

"Dzisiaj rano dowiedziałem się, że głosowałem za ACTA. Serio. I nie mam zamiaru się tego wypierać. Czy wiedziałem, za czym głosuję? Nie. Czy zawsze wiem, za czym głosuję? Rzadko. Czy inni posłowie i europosłowie wiedzą więcej? Nie" - napisał na swoim blogu europoseł Marek Migalski .

----------------------------

"This morning I was told I voted for ACTA. Seriously. I won't disclaim that. Did I know what I am voting for? No. Di I always know what I'm voting for? Rarely. Do other deputies and eurodeputies know more than me? No."

Polish eurodeputy Marek Migalski wrote on his blog

90% deputies knows shit about 90% votings (in Polish)

What to say more... morons claim rule upon us..

People are starting to protest on the streets here in Warsaw. Demonstration in front of the European Union mission building in Warsaw. Similar protests are to take place (or already took place) in other cities.

I fail to see anything negative about that photo.

That’s the thing, it’s not meant to be negative :wink_o: What I'm trying to say is that while we argue and protest against stupid laws the Russians are chilling out.

With all this negativity going on I thought I'd just take a moment to make you guys smile and remember how fun the internet is :smile:

Do most Germans now download their games or is Discs bought in the shop still the norm?

Kind regards walker

I don't know, I guess both. As for me I quit buying games instantly after release. Instead I'm waiting 1-2 years until its mostly bugfree. 50-60 € for a game which can't even run without a release patch surely increases illegal downloads. However if I would be in the position to decide wether to download illegal stuff or buy it for 5 bucks I'd choose the last one.

Hi all

It appears that former Senator and pro Chinese censorship methods Christopher Dodd the representative for the Hollywood leaching companies has been involved in what can only be described as conspiracy to commit bribery and corruption of US representatives.

He rather stupidly admitted it:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57365338-93/sopa-proponent-dodd-under-attack-by-wikipedias-jimmy-wales/

This could bring down all of the Hollywood leechers in the MPAA.

Kind regards walker

Hi all

It appears that former Senator and pro Chinese censorship methods Christopher Dodd the representative for the Hollywood leaching companies has been involved in what can only be described as conspiracy to commit bribery and corruption of US representatives.

He rather stupidly admitted it:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57365338-93/sopa-proponent-dodd-under-attack-by-wikipedias-jimmy-wales/

This could bring down all of the Hollywood leechers in the MPAA.

Kind regards walker

Excellent post

Christopher Dodd:

"Those who count on quote 'Hollywood' for support need to understand that this industry is watching very carefully who's going to stand up for them when their job is at stake."

"Don't ask me to write a check for you when you think your job is at risk and then don't pay any attention to me when my job is at stake," he continued.

The Democrats usually count on a large slice of campaign money from Hollywood and associated industries. This is a threat directly targeted at President Obama. Quite disgusting behaviour and just shows how rotten things are in politics.

If SOPA or PIPA pass I will never buy another Hollywood product. Boycott Hollywood not E3. It's not really difficult, most of what they produce these days is garbage anyway.

Hi all

In reply to PELHAM

President Obama made it clear he would block SOPA before the protest that was why Murdoch went on Twitter rant and rave against President Obama.

Hi all

Apparently Fox boss Murdoch is TwitteRanting, TwitteRaving and TwitteRaging that President Obama is not supporting the SOPA bill:

http://gizmodo.com/5876189/murdoch-slams-obama-for-supporting-silicon-valley-piracy-leaders

Really that senile old fool is almost as decrepit as his failing business.

ROFL

Kind Regards walker

As I keep pointing out this is protectionist legislation designed by the dinosaurs of the media industry to prevent new media distribution channels that threaten the existing market players from facing more technologically savey market entrants like Google TV, Netflix, Lovefilm, and all the rest; from entering the market with a more advanced and efficient business model. It is all about Market Share; Murdoch and his ilk wanted rid of Megaupload because its market share of future media dwarfed all the dinosaurs put together. Even if Megaupload wins its legal fights the months or years it is in court will allow the dinosaurs to copy its business model and steal its market share.

It is all about Market Share and disruptive technology and new business models.

SOPA is not about politicians it is about Murdoch and his ilk, for it was they who wrote and framed this legislation. Politicians are just puppets to such people, follow the money trail, for it is he who pays the piper that is calling the tune.

Kind regards walker

Edited by walker

SOPA is not about politicians it is about Murdoch and his ilk, for it was they who wrote and framed this legislation. Politicians are just puppets to such people, follow the money trail, for it is he who pays the piper that is calling the tune.

Kind regards walker

Not so simple. You'll find that supporting IP holders demands is bound to lead to a total control over Internet by Govt, which some in politics see as a big benefit. Support for SOPA-like bills is more than just about money.

Edited by whisper

ACTA in PL :

- protests in few cities

- mainstream media "misunderstandings about ACTA lead people on streets"

- ministers "ACTA do not change anything in our law, so what's the problem"

- another minister "it is closing us to the world, it is not agreement between EU, it is whole globe"

- another minister "let people calm down, first we will sign it, than later we can discuss about it and show it to people"

- another mainstream radio station - hour speech of minister, no discussion, no voices of people against, only minister's speech (and someone doubt Orban politics about such "free media" ;) , private big mainstream media looks like "propaganda tube" of one party )

ACTA in PL :

- protests in few cities

- mainstream media "misunderstandings about ACTA lead people on streets"

- ministers "ACTA do not change anything in our law, so what's the problem"

- another minister "it is closing us to the world, it is not agreement between EU, it is whole globe"

- another minister "let people calm down, first we will sign it, than later we can discuss about it and show it to people"

- another mainstream radio station - hour speech of minister, no discussion, no voices of people against, only minister's speech (and someone doubt Orban politics about such "free media" ;) , private big mainstream media looks like "propaganda tube" of one party )

Keep it up there! Hopefully this will go throughout Europe!

If you want to understand one of the reasons MegaUpload was taken down, you should really read about their project MegaBox (didn't find any article in english, so no links, sorry).

President Obama made it clear he would block SOPA before the protest that was why Murdoch went on Twitter rant and rave against President Obama.

Well, not exactly. The White House released a statement saying that they had concerns about the bill, but there was no clear "I will veto this if it passes" message. The White House had expressed similar concerns about NDAA while that was in congress, and Obama wound up signing that into law, so it's not possible to say for sure that he would have blocked SOPA/PIPA.

But it's a moot point now anyway. SOPA and PIPA are both essentially dead.

Operative;2095817']If you want to understand one of the reasons MegaUpload was taken down' date=' you should really read about their project MegaBox (didn't find any article in english, so no links, sorry).[/quote']

Hi all

In reply to [GR]Operative:

Yes it would appear that imminent release of the Megabox was the trigger for shutting down Megaupload. It would have given us the kind of media access device that we all want and freed the artists from the clutches of the leechers, giving musicians 90% of the income from their work rather than the 5% the leechers leave them.

...upcoming launch of a product called Megabox, which would have offered an entirely new, artist-friendly distribution model for music and video to the company's existing 50 million users:

The kicker was Megabox would cater to unsigned artists and allow anyone to sell their creations while allowing the artist to retain 90% of the earnings. Or, artists could even giveaway their songs and would be paid through a service called Megakey. “Yes that’s right, we will pay artists even for free downloads. The Megakey business model has been tested with over a million users and it works,†Kim Dotcom told TorrentFreak in December. Megabox was planning on bypassing the labels, RIAA, and the entire music establishment...

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Was-MegaUpload-Crushed-to-Stop-MegaBox-Launch-118044?nocomment=1

As always follow the link to the original article in full

It would have been a game changer but it still will, this is an idea, and its time has come.

Kind regards walker

Edited by walker

In response to Tonci87's picture post:

Of course, people blacking out their sites that they own is an abuse of power, whereas giving media moguls the ability to selectively censor the internet isn't.

Mind = Blown

It's good that Polish voice is heard in the global web.

http://bit.ly/y1We9v

http://www.euronews.net/2012/01/25/protesters-in-poland-angry-about-acta/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/24/acta-protests-poland_n_1229110.html

Polish dictator Donald Tusk and his loyal clique are on the payroll of big industry and Brussels (of course). Tusk was elected twice for the prime minister and he doesn't care about being elected again because he knows his time is passing away and right now he only cares about amassing more money and hoping for good job within the EU. Many young people protesting today will go for their first voting in next three years and they wont vote for Tusk.

Also dear Europeans, please have a look on what's our lovely Brussels cooking next - project INDECT - for security of citizens.

A five-year research programme, called Project Indect, aims to develop computer programmes which act as "agents" to monitor and process information from web sites, discussion forums, file servers, peer-to-peer networks and even individual computers.
+ wide CCTV surveillance network & tracking.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/INDECT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EtsJrA_BOU&feature=fvst

Once again... What a shame... Poland is top country when it comes to development and use. I'm starting to think why was the fall of communism so important if today we're building a more techy version of the previous regime.

Brussels shall burn.

Edited by Sudayev

It's good that Polish voice is heard in the global

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/INDECT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EtsJrA_BOU&feature=fvst

Brussels shall burn.

o my ...

1984 closer and closer

shame that some movies were vanished from Youtube

there are only few Polish speaking people

but if you will find subtitles, if you will find movie

please watch yourself : "War or worlds: next century"

1981 movie, Polish/USSR

it is looking live very poor sci-fi about Martians landing on Earth, cenzorship was so disgusted by poor fx effects that they... not destroyed movie !!!

movie is made so poor way to make it in 1981

but it has second bottom, like Matrix1

please watch it , it is in real movie about journalism and propaganda

martians are just metaphore, martians drink blood of human

martians visit earth and propaganda say to people "sign up, we need your blood for our friends", but journalist who is forced to make propaganda has enough and tries to tell people - do not obey propaganda,

when martians killed a lot of humans and flew away from earth, suddenly...

you will see all in movie

of course it made movie vanishing from YT

this movie is very very important from my point of view, opens your eyes

from English speaking movies : if you haven't seen, watch Soylent Green