Dwarden

Development Blog & Reveals

Hope pre order will show up on steam soon, i just want to give bohemia money already...

Beg your pardon, but in how far does this have anything to do with Steam? The Steam version of Arma 2 is identical to the other versions except for the DRM; Mods still have to be loaded via the in-game UI or the mod line.

This is what I am talking about. People are crying Steam is a pain because it causes addons problems. IT DOESN'T!

Wonder how Steam will deal with mod installation. Tbh, AFAIR CS automatically downloaded the required mods, tho they were fairly small.

Steam has auto downloading feature if it is something missing but if it is something big then the server most of time auto-disconnects and you have to download it manually (atleast thats how it works in TF2/Source/RO2) :D

I would appreciate it a lot if someone from BI staff was nice and answered to this question:

Do you get kicked off Arma MP if you loose connection to Steam temporarily when you're playing?

Beg your pardon, but in how far does this have anything to do with Steam? The Steam version of Arma 2 is identical to the other versions except for the DRM; Mods still have to be loaded via the in-game UI or the mod line.

Well that makes them not identical does it? One with DRM and the other without? I got your point. No worries.

To add mods I had to use Arma mod launcher, and to find the map directory for the game is not as you would expect it. Harder for me to help some of my in-game players add their addons. (More if they are not that computer savvy as you would expect them to be)

Maybe I am to old school and like to have things 1-1 installed and then be able to change things the old way and have the game installed in "my folders" on the computer.

I spent many hours trying to make mods run correctly and DARE me touching settings = messed up.

Maybe because the Arma2 steam edition didn't have many users sharing how to set up profiles with mods correctly other than spending many hours Fail and try and google . .

Had Arma and Arma2 on clean installations. Arma2 arrowhead on Steam. Maybe that is the cause of my problems and the reason I feel Steam is making it harder for me. . . .

I would love the Arma 3 to be sole on DVD without any connection with Steam. And then at least one release for Steam activation / users.

I fear that now, there is many users that will skip Arma3 because of Steam. Forcing them to use steam to activate a game. . . . . . Don't like the idea.

I just think it's going to get a lot easier for the guys to patch the game fully. It's a great move since it's making all more compatible for everyone, even if there's a drawback or two. I don't see the reason to hate steam. It's working great for millions of people.

Yes installing a single patch is such a great accessibility barrier for many people. Good thing we will let those people in now.

I don't understand the "hate" about Steam. I've yet to read a legitimate complaint about it with regards to how it will effect ArmA 3. Personally I think this was a great move by BIS.

Though I would have brought popcorn to work with me if I knew this was going to be announced. ;)

Like Skyrim, I hope. The Skyrim Workshop on Steam contains all mods (well, almost all, there are still some that are distrubzted differently), you click "subscribe" and it installs the mod and keeps it up-to-date. Launcher can enable/disable mods. From a user's point of view, it can't get any simpler than that.

Well, that would be excellent - are the devs responsible for the hosting of the data, or does Steam provide the privilege as part of the deal?

This is what I am talking about. People are crying Steam is a pain because it causes addons problems. IT DOESN'T!

Yeah, I am not quite sure what the supposed issue with that would be, my overly quoted example Skyrim shows that modding a game is really easy, especially since the Creation Kit directly interfaces with the Workshop and even publishing your own mod is easy. (oops, sorry... It's "plugin" for Skyrim). From all the criticism on Steam I have read here, I only agree to a handful:

- You cannot re-sell your game (not an issue with Arma 3, I am going to keep that anyway)

- Connection issues during Steam server downtimes. It's up to BIS to find a satisfactory solution for this.

There is a number of unanswered questions, like

- Will LAN play require you to be logged in/online on Steam?

- Will there be dedicated servers without Steam.

I don't expect any negative implications, but BIS should have addressed these issues in the update. Other than that, I am not excited about the Steam exclusivity, but I can perfectly live with it, especially if the integration is good with Workshop support and all.

Now, BUS, give us that bloody alpha :)

Do you get kicked off Arma MP if you loose connection to Steam temporarily when you're playing?

Never lost my connection to Steam without losing the Net all together. :D

P.S. ArmA III Pre-Orders will get a big piece of the pie, let's hope it's going to be up soon.

Yes installing a single patch is such a great accessibility barrier for many people. Good thing we will let those people in now.

What? Yes? It is infact. Imagine how much people there are out there asking the most obvious questions.

Some of you will remember the huge amount of different distributed versions for Arma 2, and all of the problems associated with it. We needed to spend far too much time on creating and testing all the master copies. Every patch had to be tested for every conceivable combination of distribution, patch and DLC. This drained so many of our resources, that we could not support the game itself as much as we'd have liked. By targeting Steam as our primary distribution, we can take those resources and put them to much better use: making the most splendid game possible.
Edited by AlexVestin

Well it's not a big issue but it might be one, especially once things like GOTY editions come into play, or you need to re-install. Being able to just click to install and update is a definite plus, and I prefer that over having to apply six different updates. Yes, it can be done without Steam as well.

Personally, I'm a bit disappointed there won't be any other distributor - not even their own channels (excluding Steam keys) - but I get their point.

I am however a tad concern what will happen to the traditional addon/mod websites, such as ArmAholic; ArmedAssault.info; Armed-Assault.de; etc, since Steamworks will most likely be the first and foremost source for addons/mods to Steam users. Still, the Nexus network (most notably for Skyrim) seems to be doing fine, even with an exclusive Steam game with Steamworks. Perhaps addon/mod sites need to start thinking new ways in order to compete, even though I hope that won't be necessary.

Question: Will it at some point in the future be possible to consider other distributors as well?

What? Yes?

I think metalcraze was implying that letting people "in" who are not able to instal a simple patch is a bad idea.

I guess this means the sixupdater guys can stop updating now, since we "may" have this workshop thing I read about?

FYI I hate steam in its entirety. An irrational hatred but hatred nonetheless.

Will it stop me from buying and playing arma 3?

Before "steam" it was "nothing will stop me"

Now it is

"they have to tell me exactly how they are implementing steam"

For example

Do I have to update to play?

i.e xv7ZCAV.png

I cant play guns of icarus and other because I have to let it download the update. My internets can only handle afew things. I live in the middle of the US and not some 3rd world country but still have crappy internet. People like me exist.

Edited by Masharra

I would much rather be allowed to buy this game when it comes out

Not so keen on renting it from steam

Steam - Great, I love steam and actually prefer if my games are on there with steamworks.

What does worry me a little was that 4 months ago the game was not in a good shape and that without steam it may not ship this year. I hope that statement is because they want a really good AAA experience as it is now a highly successful franchise and not nieche.

Still, the Nexus network (most notably for Skyrim) seems to be doing fine, even with an exclusive Steam game with Steamworks. Perhaps addon/mod sites need to start thinking new ways in order to compete, even though I hope that won't be necessary.

Last I heard from Skyrim nexus was that he was struggling to keep the thing alive because of the traffic he has. It seems to be doing quite well indeed.

There's always going to be the need for news and information sites. Even if Armaholic wouldn't host any mods anymore, it could still maintain its format. Steam has little in terms of news for individual games, especially for user-made content. You will still check the Skyrim Nexus, a forum, or the Skyrim fan sites on a regular basis to know what is going on, what mods you might be interested etc. I don't think community/fan portal sites will go out of style any time soon.

Wow, Steam and Steamworks? Amazing news!

Can't wait I can just browse through the Workshop page, see a mod that looks interesting, click a button, and go play it!

I guess this means the sixupdater guys can stop updating now, since we "may" have this workshop thing I read about?

Slyrim alert: There is the Skyrim mod manager that does basically the same thing.

And would you also argue this point if BIS had decided to include auto-mod download in Arma 3?

I think metalcraze was implying that letting people "in" who are not able to instal a simple patch is a bad idea.

And that implication literally makes me cringe with disgust.

Barriers of entry should not be left standing (let alone built up) just to keep "certain people" out.

With steam (full name steaming pile of ****) being used to rent out copies of arma3

How will this work with dedicated server?

Will we need steam and then to buy another copy for dedicated hosting ?

I will roll out the red carpet for everyone that does not want to buy Arma 3 anymore because of Steam!

And that implication literally makes me cringe with disgust.

Barriers of entry should not be left standing (let alone built up) just to keep "certain people" out.

Agreed. I've seen plenty of rushed and clueless players turn into grade A/A- players over the time, if exposed to a good environment ( ArmA's sandbox and a welcoming gaming group)

Same thing applies to other fields as well.