Dwarden

Development Blog & Reveals

Nice! I'll note down this part. . (Just in case I have to reinstall) Thanks!

1. Install Arma 2

2. Install Arma 2, 1.11 patch

3. Optional: if above patch does not work, install the patch to bring it to 1.05 first and go back to step 2

4. Install Operation Arrowhead

5. Install BAF DLC

6. Install PMC DLC

7. Install ARMA 2: Combined Operations / Operation Arrowhead / Reinforcements Patch 1.60 (if you install this before the 2 DLCs your install will get FUBAR even though it's supposedly also a combined operations patch)

8. Install ARMA 2: Combined Operations / Operation Arrowhead / Reinforcements Patch 1.62 (if you install this before the 2 DLCs your install will get FUBAR even though it's supposedly also a combined operations patch)

9. Install ACR DLC

FINISHED

I understand the decision of BIS but the argumentation isn't fully clear to me.

I mean Joris-Jan van 't Land did just speak about the advantages of Steam but what are the disadvantages?

For me as user it looks like the decision isn't really balanced (beside the fact its a needed structural decision).

Whatever I'm still using Steam as it offers the adressed points .

The only thing what I'm hating is the binding of the game on my steamaccount.

It's the first step in the direction of EA/Ubisoft policy, perm online, perm DRM, ... full control, no freedom.

Hopefully BIS wont forget it's "independence" aspiration.

I'm fine with Steam, if it doesn't kick you off if you loose connection to Steam when you're playing. I can stand it that it uses almost all of my bandwidth, makes me desync on servers and makes it impossible to use any software that uses the internet connection, like voice comm or browser, at the same time. But, if you get kicked off from MP when you loose connection to Steam, I can't play A3 then, despite of I'd like to. :(

Now I'm a little bit dubious about the games content and its state.

Seen too many companies suddenly turn to steam as a cash salvage deal, in the sense that, if buy a hard copy that doesn't meet the advertised state and you can go back to the shop to return it, but buy digitally from steam and your chances of refund if the product doesn't meet the advertised state is virtually 0% because you have used the key and it cant be reused like on a hard copy.

Maybe I'm just being suspicious about this but the news black out then this, I'm gonna wait I think to see what folks are saying before I buy this time round.

But more too the point, modding is ArmA's life blood.

I am more concerned about how user generated content will be managed from an anti-cheat point of view. Since the most notorious "hacks" use s***** i********, I am wondering how counter measures against this method will impact innocent tools such as the Loadout Editor (LEA). While I do hope that BattlEye or VAC (if implemented) bans will result in Steam account bans (this will reduce the number of script kiddies), I am worried that the use of innocent tools may have the same consequences. It's a fine line. :803:

Modding won't cease because of Steam, it may be different how we install them etc. people have Arma 2 on steam and mod away no problem.

But it won't stop cause of steam so stop worrying.

The only thing what I'm hating is the binding of the game on my steamaccount.

It's the first step in the direction of EA/Ubisoft policy, perm online, perm DRM, ... full control, no freedom.

+1 Raptor

Bye then, I guess. No need for me to hang around here anymore :( Saddest day of my life...

+2 Carl/Xeno

I'm fine with Steam, if it doesn't kick you off if you loose connection to Steam when you're playing. I can stand it that it uses almost all of my bandwidth, makes me desync on servers and makes it impossible to use any software that uses the internet connection, like voice comm or browser, at the same time. But, if you get kicked off from MP when you loose connection to Steam, I can't play A3 then, despite of I'd like to. :(

I feel You man, but Steam gives us too much of benefit to drop it just for couple guys with slow internet. No offence ment, this is a fact.

i know steam is the current best solution of online distribution.

but i don't like steam....

because i'm living in japan.

pc gamers in japan is been forced to very very very worst experience the inconvenience.

"this game cannot buy from your country" (sega, capcom, and more... many games can't buy)

"Publisher will delay the game release for more than one year"

"game is very very expensive" (+$30~$50 over!)

"your language version can't buy from steam directly. and not contain multilanguage. must buying useless and expensive japanese dedicated package" (games that have japanese language almost all)

these bad thing coming with ARMA3 ? It is a big disadvantage.

and non-steamworks(and No-DRM) version does not coming in future?

(As the ARMA2 current version of GOG.com. that is the story of a few years after from release of course)

Now I'm a little bit dubious about the games content and its state.

Seen too many companies suddenly turn to steam as a cash salvage deal....

I just find it hard to believe BI needs to go for a cash grab after a basically free mod launched Arma2 into a perennial top 10 seller on Steam for the past I don't even know....but a LONG time! Of course they'll need to reinvest much of that into the standalone game as now they have to cater to the needs of that enormous fanbase who will expect alot so maybe none of those profits go into Arma 3. I have no idea and of course this is just all speculation.

Reading this thread really makes me sad. 'We' always like to pretend the ArmA community is a much more mature one than the average FPS's community. Yet this very thread shows the exact opposite.

Some people here are bahaving like little children. They cry just for the sake of crying, most don't even know why they hate Steam so much. The same arguments like "but I want a hard disc", "no more mods", "no dedicated servers", "can't play offline" etc. come up a thousand times, because those children can't be bothered to actually read the thread. Being deaf to logic and reason sure comes in handy from time to time.

You keep telling us how the community doesn't need 14 year olds. Well, you know what, the community doesn't need 50 year olds who behave exactely like that either. :hmmm:

I'm no "Steam fanboy" and I prefered the non-Steam version of ArmA 2 for several reasons, one being addon handling. Yet with _good_ Steam integration and all the options it brings I'm sure it will be for the best of ArmA 3. I for one like this news and still can't wait to get my hands on the game/alpha myself. :)

Well, there goes the modding community :j:

Yeah man, possibly having Steam Workshop integration on top of everything we have now is totally going to destroy the modding community. More options is bad, right?

i know steam is the current best solution of online distribution.

but i don't like steam....

because i'm living in japan.

pc gamers in japan is been forced to very very very worst experience the inconvenience.

"this game cannot buy from your country" (sega, capcom, and more... many games can't buy)

"Publisher will delay the game release for more than one year"

"game is very very expensive" (+$30~$50 over!)

"your language version can't buy from steam directly. and not contain multilanguage. must buying useless and expensive japanese dedicated package" (games that have japanese language almost all)

these bad thing coming with ARMA3 ? It is a big disadvantage.

and non-steamworks(and No-DRM) version does not coming in future?

(As the ARMA2 current version of GOG.com. that is the story of a few years after from release of course)

there are lots online key sellers, i'm buying fresh released games there, for 20-30€ instead of 49€ i have to buy in germany, also usually are there multilanguage games, so just keep browsing, but some might be scam, so better read user reviews about first.

Well seeing as we don't have access to BI's financial balance sheets over the past years, calling it a "cash grab" is a stretch...

At least now you will see who is the "real" fan of arma as arma 3 says - you must ADAPT and SURVIVE

You're funny! :D

Actually my concern is not how steam(works) will affect ArmA. My concern is about how it will affect me. And all you Steam lovers, you guys with lots of stuff on Steam already, you do know that you actually do not own the last thing you bought on Steam. Anyone of you guys ever read their license agreement?

Anyhow, I allready see my principles going down the drain as I am too much into ArmA to let go of it that easily, dammit.

Well, there goes the modding community :j:

Please elaborate?

At least now you will see who is the "real" fan of arma as arma 3 says - you must ADAPT and SURVIVE

lol! Good one :)

They might go for the money and its ok by me, but you can make a cross over arma3 and say it goodby: its the worst move they could make!, but it seems all gamecompanys are going foreward by providing there stuff only digital no more dvd's,with is a shame because it made gaming where it is today,and only steam and other will benifit of it,not BI or us will see any benifits off it.

btw not a Steam fan like you made have read,they dont provide you with anything,only thing they intrested in are cold hard bucks to give to their bosses and shareholders but nothing for the users!

lets hope it will be a steam free DVD, or a DLC using steam(dont care)can only hope for a DVD not using Steam!!!

.. I prefered the non-Steam version of ArmA 2 for several reasons, one being addon handling. Yet with _good_ Steam integration and all the options it brings I'm sure it will be for the best of ArmA 3.

Addon handling is same as always, steam users having problems with that would equally run into problems launching mods with a non steam version :rolleyes:

Releasing ArmA3 Alpha exclusively on Steam prior to the "full steam ahead" announcement would´ve probably made it easier for some to swallow this bombshell...

The way it is now must feel like being backstabbed for the die hard steam avoidists.

if them were after money, they would make just another BF/CoD clone, i'm sure they could, but they aren't. Yes they got their "cash cow" now, called dayz, but even better, so some console/zombie fans can get what they want, along with hardcore milsim fans, isn't that any good? Now in arma 3, we will split from some script kiddies and jerks, who will not have fun in arma 3 vanilla, but instead grabbing dayz standalone or stay with dayz mod and using their stupid hack over there. I think arma 3 along with steam inclusive, will be a good filter, the stronger will stay, the weaker will be gone. Only thing i'm bothered about is that futuristic setting, thats why i can't way to try finally the alpha version, so i can see myself if it's any good or bad.

So far, i'm quite happy of BIS policy actually.

Please elaborate?

i think hes reply was to xeno from ace community which replied "+1" to one of those steam cryers "hello steam - bye arma". bad sign for ACE3

It's the first step in the direction of EA/Ubisoft policy, perm online, perm DRM, ... full control, no freedom..

Steam will have it's 10 year anniversary this September. If it was the first step towards permanently online and permanent DRM, it's taking very long, slow strides, really.

i think hes reply was to xeno from ace community which replied "+1" to one of those steam cryers "hello steam - bye arma". bad sign for ACE3

Yeah true. That's what I started to suspect a few minutes after I posted :)

I feel You man, but Steam gives us too much of benefit to drop it just for couple guys with slow internet. No offence ment, this is a fact.

On this benefit topic

So can you or anyone give me a quick rundown on what exactly those benefits are that outweigh all the issues?

Yeah I read BI article. And I'm genuinely interested in the actual, real benefits - not marketing speak. So here's how I see it

Modding? Steam Workshop is terrible. It doesn't give any proper info on the mod, it's not comfortable to dig through, it certainly won't know which folder I want to have a mod in. And modfolders was the best invention because they let me put together a mod config like a lego. Didn't need Steam for that.

Downloading mods you lack when you try joining a server? This isn't about downloading some "clan logo" "mod" but downloading gigs of islands and models. Per person. Considering that private servers often have mods signed and modified exclusively for their needs - there can never be some unified repository with one mod for all servers. Plus I don't want to have everything in one folder. And I don't want to have 100 folders either. There are islands that I load for this server only and there are those that I load for that - 2 separate folders.

Delta patches? Game devs were doing that for more than a decade. There are specialized installers available for that. Steam wasn't even around when it started. Six-Updater is already there.

"Social" gaming with join-your-friend? But that won't work in a game like ArmA where you gather on set times and play. Many servers are also passworded. Many servers will also use external communication software so you can't avoid all these with a single click.

Achievements? In ArmA? Do you really want them to ruin this game too?

So without repeating all that bla bla in the article - what are the actual benefits that make Steam so special?

Meh.

I'd much prefer if I could continue not to use Steam for ArmA, since I'm not interested in 90% of the services that Steam offers and have little use for it (I only really use it to run Valve software), but I do not see how Steam can possibly 'ruin' ArmA. I'm more concerned about these remarks in the dev blog:

we were not happy with how the project was going
The mission set by our CEO, Marek Španěl, was clear: do all we can to release Arma 3 in 2013.