Dwarden

Development Blog & Reveals

BIS seems to like giving their civillians weird fashion sense...

It's maybe an important character for the campaign. I'm sure the civies won't be the same.

Oh. My. God, that plad, is like totally so arma1.

In all seriousness I find his shoes to be the more interesting choice of attire but hey, getting better and better with the human details and the skin texture!

Needs some kind of shading around the glasses though, the cut off on the shadow looks a bit odd and will be sticking out if he is indeed a main character.

Edited by NodUnit

Nice screens, thanks!

That T90 barrel looked familiar, couldn't figure where I had seen something similar. Now I remember it was BF2142.

Edited by -=seany=-

In all seriousness I find his shoes to be the more interesting choice of attire but hey, getting better and better with the human details and the skin texture!

Needs some kind of shading around the glasses though, the cut off on the shadow looks a bit odd and will be sticking out if he is indeed a main character.

Forget shadows, the entire lighting and post processing capability of the RV engine needs to be re-done. Look how plastic and fake that screenshot looks. It's just high-res meshes and textures thrown together haphazardly.

Saddly not so much the fault of the engine as much as the nature of normal maps, they have a tendancy to leave things looking "wet" or "Plastic" when very powerful, however subsurface scattering can certainly attone to this and bring a whole new level in appearance.

http://pcmedia.ign.com/pc/image/article/699/699050/crysis-20060329002218267.jpg

You can see how the normal map causes a bit too much shading on the body and makes the lighting a tad too prominent for flesh, but add that and everything becomes softer.

Here are a few other examples

http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/5460/handsdo5.jpg

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/monfort_ringo/sub_surface_skin/SSS_compare.jpg

http://www.cs.umd.edu/gvil/rimages/venus_all.jpg

http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/rsrc/Three/ScreenSpaceSubsurfaceScattering/SSSFace.jpg

http://www.keyshot.com/images/siggraph_sub_surface.png

http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~pq1a-ogs/sk3.jpg

Oops, the placement of your post made me think you were making a joke about the photograph of the ArmA devs.

I was being completely facetious.

Edited by maturin

What is the status of realtime SSS? When I left the 3D scene some years ago, even rendering the effect was anything but time efficient.

Nice screens, thanks!

That T90 barrel looked familiar, couldn't figure where I had seen something similar. Now I remember it was BF2142.

I think I ve seen some smaller variant in stargate atlantis.

the shadow system is still probably wip, one funny thing if you look at his sunglasses.

its artwork and it was imo rendered in some simplified way.

Nikos Panagopoulos, eh?

A Greek with this kind of fashion sense and so much bling on him can't be a reputable character... he looks more like a low-class mafia-type, the kind who deals in drugs, prostitutes and weapons and could betray his own mother for money. Doesn't look like a traitor of ideology or "high class" bad guy, but a cheap opportunist.

His face still comes off more North-African than Greek, but can work.

At least the name is plausible. :)

Nikos Panagopoulos, eh?

A Greek with this kind of fashion sense and so much bling on him can't be a reputable character... he looks more like a low-class mafia-type, the kind who deals in drugs, prostitutes and weapons and could betray his own mother for money. Doesn't look like a traitor of ideology or "high class" bad guy, but a cheap opportunist.

His face still comes off more North-African than Greek, but can work.

At least the name is plausible. :)

Maybe a special agent?:rolleyes:

Maybe a special agent?:rolleyes:

Like a travel agent?

Sure. I mean, I wouldn't buy a packaged cruise in Indonesia by someone looking like him, but its not unrealistic.

I also think hes rather a small fish. Some intermediary pretending to be someone fancy gangster, nevertheless i think he will be quite powerful and you will have to help him even tough hes a complete jackass, in order to complete an objective...

Coming back from a trip from greece, i would say his skin is way to light for a greec local, but we'll see about that later.

just my small analysis ^^

Next to that i salute to the high quality of most of the body and textile texture and the diversity in the head model. I can see where this is going and i like it! A bunch of ambitious people really do a great job for us! Thanks for that!

you will have to help him even tough hes a complete jackass, in order to complete an objective...

Since he seems to be hanging out with the invaders, it would be probably a hard choice to make if you were to assist him.

Unless he's a ... DOUBLE agent!

Coming back from a trip from greece, i would say his skin is way to light for a greec local, but we'll see about that later.

Greeks have commonly light skin and only prolonged exposure to the sun would darken it. I, for example, don't tan easily. As such, it would be mostly people who stay out a lot, usually outside of large cities and are farmers, fishermen, vacationers and professionals of such services ,etc.

The idea of double agents seems very plausible to me ( we have the ability to change uniforms etc) i see a lot of very interesting ideas with that!

Greeks have commonly light skin

yeah its just like anywhere you really cant generalize people, however where i was ( Porto Heli) which is not a big city, the locals had almost everytime a very dark skin type but we still dont know if he's really greek and i know the team sets a big importance on authencity so no reason to say something is wrong

Well, Portoheli is a seaside touristic hotspot and a village, two elements that would contribute to year long sun exposure of the people, not like that of more closed urban environments.

If you want to have an idea how locals look like, you can watch the video documentary I posted once in a now long forgotten Lemnos thread.

And, he should be Greek, just because of the name. Then wouldn't complicate it further, as the name and appearance usually matches the nationality in movies and video games to keep better track of the characters.

But we're talking silly little details.

Everything is fine so far, I am personally very pleased with the whole environment even though they have only showed us a tiny little part, because probably the bulk of it is still very much in development.

The magazine article touches upon elements that I really wanted to learn about like the dynamic RPG-style created side-quests (I had the Armoury in mind myself) and a couple of the big players.

I wish the interviews were more about the bigger picture, the elements that will set Arma 3 apart in gameplay and story and where the creativity of BI reaches, instead of what XYZ weapon model will be included, which bug was corrected and every little personal pet peeve that someone had but others never even thought about.

Btw, both "Lemnos" and "Limnos" are official acceptable latin alphabet spellings of the real island's name, it has nothing to do with BI.

Guest Jannah

Dwarden informed the community on the BI forums of a Arma 3 development blog, that will be available in the future and although there is no blog yet, as a surprise they already have posted 4 new screenshots for you enjoyment!

Dwarden informed the community on the BI forums of a Arma 3 development blog, that will be available in the future and although there is no blog yet, as a surprise they already have posted 4 new screenshots for you enjoyment!

Umm.. Dwarden informed the community on the BI forums in this very thead...

They are also up to 8 new screenshots and dozens of others on gaming news websites, but yeah, repeating the point of a thread in the thread is odd. :confused:

This post actually made me to check his posts and see wether hes a spammer ^^ What are you trying to contribute to the thread with this statement of yours, Jannah?