Dwarden

Development Blog & Reveals

Lol at PROJECT SPLENDID. It's just a funny word to say...

I wonder what team mike is focusing on?

Does that also imply that there are other teams based on the phonetic alphabet leading up to M? Starting with alpha?

If so, that means there are at least 13 teams working on A3...

(I'm not reading into this too much, noooo)

If so, that means there are at least 13 teams working on A3...

(I'm not reading into this too much, noooo)

Given that you could have gone with M as a Roman numeral I think you were quite restrained.....

Which is somewhat worrying, considering what always happens to Team Bravo :cool:

Best,

RiE

I loved that mission! Played it for 3 months before I finally got the full game for Christmas. Feel free to release a remake of that level in ArmA 3. Although, I never fully understood why Bravo didn't have as much AT as alpha considering they were traveling through the more armor friendly terrain. Doesn't matter though. Amazing mission!

Bumpier as in Proving Grounds, you mean? Ditches, crates, small hills. Things like that.

Edited by colossus

I meant that terrain grid looks like its composed of much more segments. Or maybe its just handpicked screenshot with specific lighting and shadows, its hard to tell in this quality. Could be some procedural lod-ing for terrain close to the viewpoint. It would help arma very much, since its looking unrealistically flat and landscape is also boring. You won't see terrain like this anywhere, even the most boring parts have ditches, tiny hills etc

Proving Grounds is bumpy but also uses large grids.

That's because there are much more objects akin to Hazar-Kot valley. I got the impression that the terrain itself has the same ground detail. Which isn't the problem since there seem to be much more detail rendered in the distance and on Hazar Kot spotting enemies is already hard (meaning good)

What worries me however is that no screenshot or game video show a blinding sun. There is always a barely visible harmless spot even on cloudless sky (see one of E3 videos), whereas in reality it's a big deal. BIS starting to "make it more accessible for wider audience"?

You can see the harmless spot again. Here's it's covered by clouds so naturally it won't be blinding so I have no problems with what I see on this screenie.

But that isn't the problem. And there's no such thing as "too old". ArmA1 and ArmA2 had it, on any ArmA3 screenshot/video it isn't being shown at all or shown in a harmless way - and that's my problem with it.

Sun blinding effects can be disabled. Which is certainly something you would do for a screenshot or a presentation.

In any case, sun-blinding is not a huge deal, very little benefit can be had by trying to angle your approach/defence on the position of the sun. Almost everyone can squint or use shade.

From a position of the realism and atmosphere it is important, as well as tactics.

Almost everyone can squint or use shade.

Which is already enough to provide the needed annoyance (I mean it in a good way). It's such little details that make combat more interesting and not just the straightforward frag scoring.

Speaking of details - was weapon jamming ever confirmed?

Well, its not really that realistic that you can have sunglasses and still be half blind but whatever. I wouldn't worry about that, they can fix this easily anyway.

Well, its not really that realistic that you can have sunglasses and still be half blind but whatever. I wouldn't worry about that, they can fix this easily anyway.

So true. I say that they either keep the blinding sun, and make sunglasses functional (as in they actually do their job), or they just remove the blinding sun altogether.

I don't mind Sun glare, this looks fine. What I do hate is the reflected glare in Arma2(oa) from things that shouldn't glare. Like a dirt road or a patch of ground. The exposure is all over the place and makes no sense a lot of the time.

So true. I say that they either keep the blinding sun, and make sunglasses functional (as in they actually do their job), or they just remove the blinding sun altogether.

In that case they should also make the world look much darker during the day since sunglasses aren't a "free ride" against the sunglare.

they need to just turn the bloom down a bit. it's just way too exaggerated, and make it look like we're viewing the world through frosted glasses.

From a position of the realism and atmosphere it is important, as well as tactics.

Which is already enough to provide the needed annoyance (I mean it in a good way). It's such little details that make combat more interesting and not just the straightforward frag scoring.

Actually IRL you just wear a baseball cap or lower your helmet so it covers the sun.

In ArmA you can use freelook to do that if you have TrackIR and put the sun out of vision by looking slightly down when aiming.

In BF3 unfortunately your weapon is affixed to center of screen so it is MORE than a little annoyance actually.

On the other hand, we don't get the real annoyance from a low sun against wet surfaces where you can't see anything at all in real life. The sun glare, maybe a little too much, is about the only annoyance we have from real life environments - don't take it away, and don't tone it down either.

Remember that in Arma 2 the sun glare is not visible if you look at it through an external camera instead of 1st person.

Actually IRL you just wear a baseball cap or lower your helmet so it covers the sun.

That's if the sun is high above in the sky. There's little can be done when it sets or rises.

In ArmA you can use freelook to do that if you have TrackIR and put the sun out of vision by looking slightly down when aiming.

When it sets or rises however - adjustments to the whole attack direction must be made, since attacking against the sun will hurt the visibility a lot.

And it's really important in a tactical military shooter. And no sunglasses will not do anything useful at sunrise/sunset since you won't be able to see almost anything at all due to how dark it will be but the sun through them.

I wouldn't mind BIS adding sunglasses to fight sunglare though. With a price of stuff being darker when wearing them of course. That will only make the gameplay better. Better variety of tactical gear = good.

In BF3 unfortunately your weapon is affixed to center of screen so it is MORE than a little annoyance actually.

BF3 is not a realistic shooter and we weren't talking about it.

Remember that in Arma 2 the sun glare is not visible if you look at it through an external camera instead of 1st person.

Judging by your current ughh... dev sign I take it this is a confirmation it's still in?

Hopefully.

Edited by metalcraze

Judging by your current ughh... dev sign I take it this is a confirmation it's still in?

Hopefully.

Ughh, I don't know? I was just talking about how it is in Arma 2. :o