Dwarden

Development Blog & Reveals

As always, could just spend hours admiring at the landscape..I think I felt a bit of drool down my chin when I saw these http://www.armaholic.com/datas/users/arma3new4_16471.jpg http://www.armaholic.com/datas/users/arma3new12_16471.jpg Knowing it's all dynamic is what makes it special really, seeing the clouds move and watching the sky changing colors just has far more appeal than watching a satic border, with land trapped in a pocket where time never changes.

Edited by NodUnit

Am I to assume that these pictures are all taken with the highest graphics settings on? Also, how much work is being done on the graphics of the game, they look like they could be done right now, but we are to expect certain parts of the landscape to look much nicer in the final build a year from now?

Well... we haven't seen any of the towns or villages yet up close. The buildings we've seen from afar could well be placeholders, or a couple simple models to populate the locations as to get the feel of the landscape.

My bet is that the artists are really hard at work constructing the unique buildings, interiors, town objects, signs, etc

The general landscape seems to be done, but we haven't seen any area of special character salt as the salt quarry.

We have also yet to see the Greek population for that matter.

I don't think the shadows on the submarine is a good idear...

http://www.armaholic.com/datas/users/arma3new8_16471.jpg

Not 100% sure how shadows should be. As there are caustics going on, should underwater shadows be distorted by refraction? Should shadows be less sharp and defined (vs overcast shadows which are much less intense)? Should the amount of these effects be modulated by the state of the sea (including caustics)?

Will there also be caustic reflections (vs refraction only)? Like in this image. I'm guessing it could look pretty slick on boats and amphibious vehicles.

Not 100% sure how shadows should be. As there are caustics going on, should underwater shadows be distorted by refraction? Should shadows be less sharp and defined (vs overcast shadows which are much less intense)? Should the amount of these effects be modulated by the state of the sea (including caustics)?

Will there also be caustic reflections (vs refraction only)? Like in this image. I'm guessing it could look pretty slick on boats and amphibious vehicles.

Refraction alone wouldn't affect the shadow much but the diffusion created would be amplified by depth (and the state of the sea) to make fuzzier shadows and water reflections would be totaly awsome.

At any rate if those ingame images are unadulterated, it appears BIS have been hard at work improving the overall shadow depth, it's lookingmore realistic withoiut going to the high contrast extremes of many new games. This is also totaly awsome.

and new screen is up ;) drool (erm analyse) over it ;)

:D

It looks beautiful. I mean really beautiful. It reminds me of my holiday in Nafplio 2 years ago.

Nice screen, seems the Eurogamer one had other vegetation and no rocks?

Anyway, most impressive screen till now. Good work.

_neo_

one question that bothered me

what submarine do in this war??

there will be naval war and we play it like silent hunter or just for teh good looking thing??

Extremely impressive, indeed.

The rocks and the vegetation ground layer are simply flawless.

Not to mention the astonishing draw distance, far object detail and rendering of far textures.

Edited by arigram

there will be naval war and we play it like silent hunter or just for teh good looking thing??

It will be like the LHD in Arma 2 ;)

Is that an example of tessellation the rocks? Actually Arma3 will be DX10? I guess not if that's the case. It's very nice bump mapping then, it looks too complex to be a model.

Looks very nice either way.

Edited by -=seany=-

the detail is scary.

The only thing that IS on the picture, but NOT in real-life is the radio-tower on top of the mountain.

All other stuff, like the 'lines' on the fields, and house positions. it's uncanny!

ps: the real-world location of the screenshot : http://maps.google.com/maps?q=limnos+greece&hl=nl&ll=39.893687,25.068312&spn=0.012775,0.02547&sll=51.924216,4.481776&sspn=0.328601,0.815048&t=h&z=16

Is that an example of tessellation the rocks? Actually Arma3 will be DX10? I guess not if that's the case. It's very nice bump mapping then, it looks too complex to be a model.

Looks very nice either way.

You mean DX11? Tesselation is DX11 only feature...

;1995745']You mean DX11? Tesselation is DX11 only feature...

He said it can't be tesselation if it's DX10 ;)

the detail is scary.

The only thing that IS on the picture, but NOT in real-life is the radio-tower on top of the mountain.

All other stuff, like the 'lines' on the fields, and house positions. it's uncanny!

ps: the real-world location of the screenshot : http://maps.google.com/maps?q=limnos+greece&hl=nl&ll=39.893687,25.068312&spn=0.012775,0.02547&sll=51.924216,4.481776&sspn=0.328601,0.815048&t=h&z=16

just a little north of the location you posted:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=limnos+greece&hl=nl&ll=39.904527,25.079743&spn=0.003374,0.008256&sll=51.924216,4.481776&sspn=0.328601,0.815048&t=h&z=18

Rocks rock! :cc:

Clouds IMO should be less saturated, and their bases should be more rounded, almost flat.

Dont mistake that im looking for the cam-position ;)

im 100% sure the camera location from this shot is around my spot ( center of map )

Since the camera is looking north, and in the north is the powerplant.

your location has the plant south.

Dont mistake that im looking for the cam-position ;)

im 100% sure the camera location from this shot is around my spot ( center of map )

Since the camera is looking north, and in the north is the powerplant.

your location has the plant south.

i didnt doubt that :) simply pointed out the radio towers :)

one question that bothered me

what submarine do in this war??

So we can do this:

9pFJjp8JlMA

I think those rocks are made using tesselation, the polycount would be otherwise quite insane.

When I read about TSL. for the first time I knew arma would could gain significantly by implementing it. They could probably ditch the entire LOD system while saving performance. And the new "lod switching" would be fluent.

Looking very impressive... :yay:...

Also looks very well advanced.