Dwarden

Development Blog & Reveals

I didn't expect so much flames, must be the gasoline. On the other hand, last time I heard those lines, the video ended with the poor guy's mortar blowing up. Also, I noticed that the explosion caused some pretty massive trembling.

Diesel deosn't go up like that, it is hard enough to light it with direct flame. Probably the ammo and shells stored inside the turret.

Right, Ammo storage blowing up is just desastrous....

I think the initial flames came from shells that were hit by the AT Weapon, they ignited the rest of the stuff and everything wen´t off....

Diesel deosn't go up like that, it is hard enough to light it with direct flame. Probably the ammo and shells stored inside the turret.

HE ammunition going off 100% - nothing else would've caused these firecrackers to occur. Incidentally, you could have the whole tank get set on fire and explode in ArmA II fashion, though without triggering any ammo in the process.

I remember the fireworks of exploding BMP-3s back in ACE 2: explosions, secondary explosions, explosions, SECONDARY EXPLOSIONS - those were the days. :)

Which brings us to the topic: Proper ammo/fuel/crew compartment simulation for armoured vehicles in ArmA III nao!

HE ammunition going off 100% - nothing else would've caused these firecrackers to occur. Incidentally, you could have the whole tank get set on fire and explode in ArmA II fashion, though without triggering any ammo in the process.

I remember the fireworks of exploding BMP-3s back in ACE 2: explosions, secondary explosions, explosions, SECONDARY EXPLOSIONS - those were the days. :)

Which brings us to the topic: Proper ammo/fuel/crew compartment simulation for armoured vehicles in ArmA III nao!

Yes, a much desired feature!

I really look forward to what BI will do with Explosion effects, even Blastcore looks kind of lame after watching this

God dayum!!! Thats out right scary - I want it.

I didn't expect so much flames, must be the gasoline. I also noticed that the explosion caused some pretty massive trembling.

It's actually quite a common sight when tanks get taken out:

It's actually quite a common sight when tanks get taken out:

I gotta admit -as macabre and nasty is the implication -I would love that sort of explosion in Arma. The multiple stages of flare ups into what seemed like a small volcano is quite spectacular (again, in that macabre sorta way).

I gotta admit -as macabre and nasty is the implication -I would love that sort of explosion in Arma. The multiple stages of flare ups into what seemed like a small volcano is quite spectacular (again, in that macabre sorta way).

Ammo in ArmA III needs to be a separate compartment/damage component on the vehicles. The only way to deal with a tank as infantry at this moment in vanilla is to put 2 7VR RPGs in its side/front/back - almost doesn't matter and it explodes in a fiery gasoline ball of flame.

I'd love to puncture a tandem AT projectile into some uber-ERA equipped tank and kill the crew, thus disabling the tank outright, without it exploding, but at the same time ceasing to be a threat to me.

Variety breeds longevity.

P.S. Soul_Assassin that looks to be a BTR-90 (Just checked, BTR-80 has 14.5 KPVT, AP probably), they have lots of 30 mm HE rounds stored.

A BTR-90 in Syria wouldn't be a surprise, seeing as they have a vital stake in the MED port there.

Edited by Iroquois Pliskin

Oh yeah I hope they do introduce tactical and dry reload but I´m aware that this would need some serious work. It is a typical nice to have feature.

I really look forward to what BI will do with Explosion effects, even Blastcore looks kind of lame after watching this

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=d13_1339072406

What vehicle is that? Doesnt look right to be a BMP and looking closely it didnt seem to have tracks, but larger roadwheels, maybe BTR?

The effect of exploding ammo is the same, no matter where the ammo is located. In the merkava or abrams, it has blowout hatches in the back, so the effect would be pretty dramatic, but not lethal to either the tank or the crew.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1_Tank_Platoon_II <- this game actually had it down, back in 1998. It had ammo cookoffs, explosions, fire. It looked pretty shitty, but the effects were there. Today, though, it´s much more complicated to implement these effects. Back then all you had to do was an animated bitmap. Now, you have to do particle effects, shrapnel and parts flying off, damage model simulation, etc, etc.

Would be a nice to have, but I´d be happy with blastcore style explosions too.

A little remark about new animations, if you allow. As from my point of view, all looks fine right now, but one "little" thing is disturbing me - the whole amount of animations looks immense, being compared to what we have in ArmA II now (3 type of stances). So, what about simplicity of operation in fastly changing combat situation ? How many keypads will be used to manage an avatar and to get into the way, made it effective and useful for yourself, but not an insuperable obstacle ? :confused:

Please don't uderstand me wrong, i'm not from "railshooter lover's camp", (with original OFP from the beginning) but i'm just in a little disarray.

Sorry for my ugly english. :(

Edited by Shadow_Vit

shadow_vit, try out @smk for arma 2. i guess there will be addition key to make all sort of this additional stances

A little remark about new animations, if you allow. As from my point of view, all looks fine right now, but one "little" thing is disturbing me - the whole amount of animations looks immense, being compared to what we have in ArmA II now (3 type of stances). So, what about simplicity of operation in fastly changing combat situation ? How many keypads will be used to manage an avatar and to get into the way, made it effective and useful for youself, but not an insuperable obstacle ? :confused:

Please don't uderstand me wrong, i'm not from "railshooter lover's camp", (with original OFP from the beginning) but i'm just in a little disarray.

Sorry for my ugly english. :(

Jay Crowe mentioned in one of the E3 videos that they are actually trying to maximize keystroke economy, and reduce and consolidate the layout so you can do as many things as possible while moving your hands as little as possible. Don´t know if they´ll succeed, but they are at least trying, and it seems that so far, they´re trying really hard.

At least on the animations/graphics/cold hard feature front, they seem to be succeeding rather fantastically.

Variety breeds longevity.

Couldn't agree with this statement more and thats actually the reason I've wanted ragdoll so badly -new dynamic deaths and a variety of corpse poses (man Im feelin a lil sick today) as the dead tell a visual story of "what happened here".

@Shadow_Vit:

How do the new animations affect close quarters combat? (@craig_vg)

You heard it here: Arma 3 is balanced for double lean. The new stance animations operate as modifiers. Like Arma 2, you still hit Q or E to lean, X to crouch, and Z to go prone. But you can take an additional step left or right by hold Ctrl and hitting Q or E again. These adjustments are specific to each stance, so if you’re crouched and hit Ctrl + W, you’ll poke your head and upper body up a bit. If you’re prone, you can twist to the right by hitting Ctrl + E.

Source: http://www.pcgamer.com/previews/arma-3-e3-hands-on-preview-8-questions-answered/

Just saw the 15 minute video and I got to say, that new lighting is damned fine! Not over the top either, and no ugly movie filters, that is what more games should look like, making our HD monitors actually worth a damn.

The animations looked great and far more fluid, almost seemed like a different game at times, and I hope to see the encumbering system in better detail in future, hopefully in alpha.. The team did a brilliant job with the sky, the ground and certainly under water, though it did seem a bit strange that divers had the same speed under water as above ground, as if there was no drag and resistance from being in the water.

Only two things bothered me, not seeing RTT from a gunner perspective, it's not a bad thing, I understand that a full screen is much easier to see but is RTT a viable option in that it can contain all of the data necessary for gunner at all?

The other was the shadowing of landscape, I know that the terrain itself doesn't cast shadows but with such high hills players will be able to see achothers shadows from around, and many will be complaining about it during bug testing. What about a work around, possibly having an untextured object planted under the ground so it "appears" to be casting a shadow in some spots?

There was one instance in one of the videos where you could see the active mfd screen for the fennek (sp?) turret with the FLIR image of the soldiers he just killed still present when he changed views to see the interior of the vehicle. Not sure how useful it was a this point but it at least shows that it's possible in game in some way.

There was one instance in one of the videos where you could see the active mfd screen for the fennek (sp?) turret with the FLIR image of the soldiers he just killed still present when he changed views to see the interior of the vehicle. Not sure how useful it was a this point but it at least shows that it's possible in game in some way.

Yeah you can choose whether to use PiP or Fullscreen like what they did.

J

Only two things bothered me, not seeing RTT from a gunner perspective, it's not a bad thing, I understand that a full screen is much easier to see but is RTT a viable option in that it can contain all of the data necessary for gunner at all?

As far as I can see it actually is. It's just in FLIR which is might appear off.

That I can agree with, I think that it's probably for performance reasons. It's still in alpha so I guess we'll just have to see.

Yeah you can choose whether to use PiP or Fullscreen like what they did.
As far as I can see it actually is. It's just in FLIR which is might appear off.

Ah you guys are quite right, double checked and it appears that the stretch of road in the screen is the same as that in the optics, just with thermal. Hmmm..I wonder if standard mouse motion will control the camera or if there will be another method of control, either way quite happy to see this feature make it in.