Sign in to follow this  
MoS

Render to texture - what are the possibilities?

Always thought of crysis in that example.. I think it was more of a material thing, as you said it was either there or it wasn't . You never see it on the ground other than the carrier (this being due to the carrier acting as on object, not ground) you activate it by ticking a box in the editor, same with snow.

But here's the thing, doing that makes it rain EVERYWHERE on that object in and out, top to bottom BUT if you go into the texture files shading properties (take the trucks materials for instance, exterior and interior are seperate-ish), by setting the interior to "ice" it appeared normal and removed the rain effect. Have to say though the snow was very impressive with how it moved dynamicly to stay on tops of objects and tires rather than being all over.

Edited by NodUnit

Some MP maps had this effect on cement as well in Crysis, though yeah I do not believe I saw it occur on the dirt/grass/soft ground at all.

Kind of for the better really, the wet effect makes things like as if there is a down pour, it works very well with objects but if you use it on say the ground it would essentially be getting flooded, so they particles which did the job very well.

Always thought of crysis in that example.. I think it was more of a material thing, as you said it was either there or it wasn't . You never see it on the ground other than the carrier (this being due to the carrier acting as on object, not ground) you activate it by ticking a box in the editor, same with snow.

But here's the thing, doing that makes it rain EVERYWHERE on that object in and out, top to bottom BUT if you go into the texture files shading properties (take the trucks materials for instance, exterior and interior are seperate-ish), by setting the interior to "ice" it appeared normal and removed the rain effect. Have to say though the snow was very impressive with how it moved dynamicly to stay on tops of objects and tires rather than being all over.

Those are shaders, which can do some really neat things (hell, they pretty much *do* the neat things on your screen). UDK I think has a built in node-shader editor, which makes making shaders so much easier for the common man. I have a node-shader from Unity somewhere that I stopped halfway for one reason or another - was a diffuse/normal shader that had a running water that slowed based on angle of slope, and transitioned into splashes.

They aren't cheap, but shaders that add rain, snow, and so fourth are pretty independent of the mesh or textures of the mesh. So they're pretty damn powerful.

that's very nice test - i doubt that RTT would take too much FPS to only one small RTT in scope

It's not really the size of the viewport but what you are viewing that makes the difference.

So can you guys maybe explain what RTT is all about and what things and new possibilites this brings with it?

A lot of new possibilities for me and my TrackIR 5 :yay:

(Monitors in Choppers and maybe aiming through scopes without pressing any additional button)

EDIT: Just like the Video posted by Kristian

Guys! Guys!

_sVhCxNtFow

:)

What a horribly unusable sight... I'm pretty sure people don't use magnified scopes from a foot behind the scope itself. :p

What a horribly unusable sight... I'm pretty sure people don't use magnified scopes from a foot behind the scope itself. :p

Then hold right click to zoom in?

just wondering, could render-to-texture and DirectX 10 mean that reflex and holographic sights could be properly simulated aswell as optics?

I want to thank you for asking this question, And Thanks to the people that answered it. and showing us the possibilities.

Where did I ever get it in my head that R to T had something to do with having bomb craters or the ability to dig a hole so to speak?? I must have really mis-read something some place.

just wondering, could render-to-texture and DirectX 10 mean that reflex and holographic sights could be properly simulated aswell as optics?

Not sure, but I doubt it would. I'm sure there's some other feature that would, or at least could take care of that aspect though.

You don't even need dx9 to simulate it. Normal of surface + distance from cam + normal of camera is all you need.

ok sweet, weapon optics are probably the most useful form of render-to-texture for Arma 3, but mirrors and vehicle cameras are not far off.

ok sweet, weapon optics are probably the most useful form of render-to-texture for Arma 3, but mirrors and vehicle cameras are not far off.

I would say other way around myself, I can live with the scopes as they are just now.

It will be handy for fixing the veiw on the BTR-90 when turned in as well.

I wonder, if RTT can be implemented on a scripted basis, whether headcams will be modded in by some kind soul for display on arrays of (ingame) monitors :D

We've seen scripts that have shown us AI POV, back when we were discussing whether AI were magic in finding your position in ArmA2. This would be merely an extention of that.

rtt2.th.jpg

Made another one based on the ACOG, to show how this may possibly look with scopes that aren´t as IN YOUR FACE as the one on the XM8. Had to cheat using camera.sqs, thus low poly gun. OH WELL.

This would obviously also be extremely cool for camera feeds, the obvious things like vehicle mirrors, and cinematic interventions like you have in Half Life.

BI, if you can make this work, I´ll send you a big case of muffins.

Theres something really infectious about that scope effect that makes me really really want to play with them.

Will also donate muffins and pie!