Sign in to follow this  
Dibuk

They better have female soldiers...

Would you like to see women in ArmA 3?  

270 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see women in ArmA 3?

• I would like to see female combat units for each/certain military faction(s)
    • I would prefer only civilian female characters, but with full combat animations/capability
    • I wouldn't mind seeing civilian female characters, but don't care/prefer if they are combat capable
    • I would prefer to see no female characters in ArmA 3 (downgrade from ArmA 2)

I didn't read all of the 112 pages, but I wanted to add this to the discussion:

The soldiers need to all have identical bodies so that the clothing system will work properly. Females have boobs wich will stick out of the clothes. That mean the devs would have to redesign all of the clothes + vest just so that we can fight as a female soldier. I see that as completly unecessary given the ressources it would take to actualy do that.

All BIS games have female models, how hard is it modify female model from Arma2, with a proper animation?

@VIPER[CWW]

this is a game not RL you can model a woman as you want. Look in comparison at the arma2 woman in comparison with some man models next to it.

http://www.abload.de/img/arma2oa202012-05-27203pbke.png (1688 kB)

There is hardly any difference in height or with. And in Arma3 it is likely to be the same.

And the old saying ..well its not like the woman is a gnome. And in PvP of Arma, when you show your full body to the enemy you have already lost. In all other cases the enemy will make itself far smaler than its body by hiding the rest of its body. As longer the distances become little variation in the the hit area do make less impact on the angle conection the outlines. If at all size matters its on close/mid ranges and fully exposed, but than it shouldnt be a problem to hit, if your not playing spray and pray ;)

Edited by Kumeda

I see an awful lot of people arguing as to why there may not, or should not be female player models in the game.

I've not yet seen a good argument as to why there should be, though.

What would a female model accomplish besides some minor aesthetic difference?

In addition, Kumeda, you should know that there are no female models in Arma II. To say in your poll that not having female models in Arma III would be a downgrade is wrong. There were females in mods only.

If it's a military sim..why not female troops? :confused:

i guess people missed my post since it was the last one on the page, but anyway:

"U_BasicBody","U_FemBasicBody"

these are the two file names for the undergarment male and female soldier model.

Edited by johncage

As long as it doesn't change balance issues then there is no reason to not have them. This is a game after all, we don't have nearly as many restrictions as RL.

One thing I'm not looking forward is the players who play female in all games. So I'd end up with a majority of my force being women, which would ruin immersion for me.

If we wanted full realism. Well. Mods guys.... mods...

what would different ethnicity accomplish? or variations in gear that serve the same purpose? oh that's right, aesthetics do add to the immersion. you must have forgotten.

Changes in gear are necessary in that they allow you to differentiate classes, factions, and functionality.

Changes in ethnicity do not require the creation of a new model with a new hitbox and new voice overs.

As for adding to immersion, it doesn't really make sense. This does not add to immersion, and not having females does not take away from immersion.

I'll repeat what I said originally:

There are a ton of arguments people have made as to why females shouldn't be in the game. However valid or invalid they may be, nobody has presented a good reason as to why females should be in the game.

In addition, Kumeda, you should know that there are no female models in Arma II. To say in your poll that not having female models in Arma III would be a downgrade is wrong. There were females in mods only.

You must be kidding...first named character (Valentina) you interact in ArmAII Campaign is a female, not to say tons of unnamed female civilians on the map.

I seriously doubt you even own the game.

Edited by Lugiahua

You must be kidding...first named character (Valentina) you interact in ArmAII Campaign is a female, not to say tons of unnamed female civilians on the map.

You're ignoring the context in which I said this, that in itself being quite a feat since the entire thread is about this topic - obviously we're talking about multiplayer and soldier models here. Single-player is a completely different aspect.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Usually, when people talk about adding female characters to a multiplayer game, they're doing it for stupid reasons. Some people just can't accept playing as a man because they feel entitled - they want to be special in comparison to others. They want their gender to be on display on the internet for attention-getting purposes. Your gender is not a status symbol.

Similarly, people will make the argument that this is about gender neutrality, but there really is no basis in that. There are so many different interpretations you could take about this game that it's ridiculous. One side could say it's "sexist" (laughably) that this game only has men in it. Another side could say it's sexist (laughably) against men because men are portrayed as violent soldiers who just kill each other over and over.

Last, people sometimes justify it with "we need to bring more girls into video games" or "we need to give girls female characters to play as."

If anything, that's the only thing that actually qualifies as sexist. It's essentially saying, "gee, those girls, they can't enjoy video games unless video games are tailored towards them. Girls are so petty that they need female models to even touch games."

__

Now, is that what's going on here? I don't know. But I know at least a few people are thinking similarly to this, which is why I had to say it. Actual female gamers (the type that have a real passion for games) do not care about this garbage. I'd know.

Edited by Lain

There are female models in arma 2, but no female soldiers at all.

I still thing that having female soldiers in arma 3 imply recreating all the clothing to make them fit to females though.

There are female models in arma 2, but no female soldiers at all.

I still thing that having female soldiers in arma 3 imply recreating all the clothing to make them fit to females though.

im not arguing about that. Its true. But this is like as is with any request done. It does need additional work. We may argue about wether or not BI should put in that effort or not.

Bottomline for me is that for the sake of modding, (and at least for me some kind of realism), fully integrated female moddels could be very usefule. And if they do work, they should be selectable as character in the profile, as this will make the woman of our community happy.

On a personal level i believe it would also show other female pc gamers, that serious shooting games are something woman are playing. And if it helps to make FPS more "accessable" to them, either because they are new to it or either they want to play ther favourit game finally not as man, i think its a good thing.

So in my conclusion they should put int that effort.

At the end of the day, BI has to decide if that is reason enough or not or if it does consume to much ressoures. Im not a developer, as simple gamer i cant decide that for them and neither can anyone who isnt.

Edited by Kumeda

ok, here is a little history

in the original OFP and Resistance, there were fully function female models capable of combat or operating vehicles

but in Arma2, we got half functional female character that can't even ride a bike or dive cive trucks.

My question would be, why are we going backward when OFP already demonstrate the capability to have functional character?

from modding perspective, having fully functional female character could only be a good thing, in case someone was making a IDF or Finnish mod.

How about Life mod? I am sure female models would be useful there.

Interesting... I made a reply to this, but it was deleted. Whatever.

The context of this issue is female soldiers, esp. playable ones and esp. in multiplayer. Obviously, yes, there are female models in Arma II.

There are two reasons as to why I do not support this happening.

1: Many people look at this from a gender-politics point of view. In reality, you shouldn't care about the gender you are - you should just play the game. However, many people do more than that, and they decide to play gender games on the internet. Your gender is worth nothing. Female or male, it really doesn't matter. The game play is not changed because you are playing one sex or another.

It makes us all look bad when these ideas are suggested.

2: People think it would lead to a more enjoyable experience for female players, or attract more female players. This is a sexist idea. Basically, people assume that women won't touch games, or will have less fun with games, if they can't be women in the game. That's ridiculous - it's the same thing as saying that a white person can't enjoy playing as a black person. We're all human, it's just fine. I can play as a man, it won't detract from my game.

I don't know if those two things are going on with this specific thread, but at least some people who have suggested the idea were thinking along these lines, and I find that needs to be corrected.

Interesting... I made a reply to this, but it was deleted. Whatever.

Nope, it wasn't. Maybe actually reading the forum rules you were asked to agree to would have helped understand this:

Note:

1. New member's posts are auto-moderated, please don't re-post the same message over&over again.

2. New members are required to fill captcha before posting new answers/threads.

3. New members are limited in editing/accessing variety of profile & forum features.

These limitations are removed for regular forum users.

@ Lain

Id like to see this add for a few of our girls at CITYLIFE RPG community its sad to see how many of you guys think there are no girls that play this game I interview a large number of them for our community weekly. some of them stopped playing for the reason no girl models then came back when dayZ added them for us to use.

if that is true it tells me exactly the opposite about your statement int 2. So lets just presume there are woman who would like/wish to play a female char. Are you going to tell them it would be sexistic to let them, because they can enjoy it anyway?

And i think your mixing up some stuff in 1). You are absolutly right that in what concerns gender-politics. The best way to become equal is not to care about gender to begin with. But! This - maby for political reasons-- only applies where gender dictates something on you. Let it be workplace related.. what so ever gender shouldnt matter in these situations.

However it can be very well the other way round. Woman and men go both on toilets but also "gender doesnt matter" for reasons of privacy we still have bathrooms for males and females. At some point gender does matter.

If you play a game your choice what you like or dislike is related to yourself and decissions on that might as well be based on your gender. So yes, freedome of choice can have impact, even if it just about your avatar.

Edited by Kumeda

Lets face it I don't think it's going to happen guys. It's not in now I doubt it will be in. They (the devs) would either have to double up on all the unit models, or employ some sort of model modification technology to change their shape subtly. In which case we might as well have height & weight differences too, which would be great.

But, I'd guess that if we're not seeing it yet, we're not going to.

I call for a no. Too much resources will be used to satisfy a very small percentage of people.

Most being men that just wants to look at women, from what i see.

Woman should not be soldiers, not in real life, not in Arma, not now, not in the future, it's just stupid.

That ticket is amazing.

Some dude goes like "There's a reason why there are so few female soldiers and most are in the support roles away from frontlines - like being less fit compared to men due to lower muscle mass which is human physio-"

"ZOMG u sexist misogynist bastard why you hate women we need equality, we need feminism!" - most of that is posted by males no less. Why is this happening? DayZ + the ability to undress your avatar attracting people from skyrim nexus? Why is this not happening to even stuff like CoD or BF?

If anything this ticket seems to be a perfect response to all those people "zomg we need to bring more people into ArmA, make it accessible". Well here you go. Be happy now.

I voted for 3rd option in this poll (e.g. don't care) but now I'm strongly against.

For me, the reason why the ticket is amazing is the absurd amount of embarrassingly childish remarks from immature boys who are resisting the idea for no good reason. Just look at the tags.

This is pathetic. Why are emotions running so high on this one? It really needn't be so complicated.

What we don't know

If BIS is going to to include combat capable females.

Enough to speculate on how difficult it would be to include them (IMO looking at sample model its probably not excessive to want fully functioning civies)

Enough to know whether they could be incorporated in a simy realistic fashion ie utilise the encumberance system to reflect real life physical attributes.

Whether BIS has the resources (that is people spare to create models and configs who dont take away form others needed to program and script)

What we do know

Females serve in the military across the globe and will probably continue to do so.

Females will (based on released footage) be ingame at least as NPC's.

Inclusion would reinstate females to OFP functionality.

Inclusion would broaden mission, story and modding possibilities. Particlarly as having more than just functioning soldier avatars has been convenient for the franchises life span.

That the next poster will possibly have not read any of this thread and simply spouted something that has already been repeated too many times.

What some fear

That functioning female models will ruin the game just like they did in the OFP days.

Not seeing females in Alpha means OH NOSE they got no girls. (see stupid feedback issue)

Being Alpha means thay still have time to pass on girl germs.

The shear amount of rubbish and repetition in this thread makes it worthy of closing but I would settle with; Anyone who feels the need to go on further should be made to read it in its entirety and ask them selves if they are contributing something new before posting.

Anyway I'm now also guilty of repetition. So heres to letting the thread die.

Lets face it I don't think it's going to happen guys. It's not in now I doubt it will be in. They (the devs) would either have to double up on all the unit models, or employ some sort of model modification technology to change their shape subtly. In which case we might as well have height & weight differences too, which would be great.

But, I'd guess that if we're not seeing it yet, we're not going to.

There are already female civil models, those models could be used to create female soldiers. Though I rather only see men soldiers for multiple reasons, one would be not having to see thousands of pics on Steam with female soldiers in awkward positions posted by youngsters.

---------- Post added at 02:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:14 PM ----------

If anything this ticket seems to be a perfect response to all those people "zomg we need to bring more people into ArmA, make it accessible". Well here you go. Be happy now.

Spot on.

There are already female civil models, those models could be used to create female soldiers.

They're not fundamentally "female" models - they're just models. As are all models. Making a female soldier unit would be easier done by altering the male soldier unit, as the geometry for the uniform is the thing.

Though I rather only see men soldiers for multiple reasons, one would be not having to see thousands of pics on Steam with female soldiers in awkward positions posted by youngsters.

Yes :) sad but true.

I think Female soldiers are a good idea, specially for Role-playing scenenaries :)

I personally would like to see Females be at least able to use a weapon. In Arma 2 it was frustrating that the Female civilians couldn't do hardly anything, For example I wanted to make a scenario where a female aid to a general was shot down and had to try and survive behind hostile lines.

I don't mind if they don't have female soldiers, but it would be nice if the females civilians can at least drive and shoot.

This are just guys using female names. I have not met any real girl, women, wife or girlfriend that likes such games or likes partners playing games so far and I never will fore sure. The only SIM I know of girls play sometiemes is THE SIMS

Then you sir are ignorant lol

Girls are playing DayZ

Girls are playing PlanetSide 2

Girls are Playing COD

Girls are playing BF3

Jesus what are you lot - 60 years old? Girls don't play video games, seriously? I think you you all need to get with the times and realise the reason more girls don't play video games is because of misogynistic mentalities like this -