Sign in to follow this  
Dibuk

They better have female soldiers...

Would you like to see women in ArmA 3?  

270 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see women in ArmA 3?

• I would like to see female combat units for each/certain military faction(s)
    • I would prefer only civilian female characters, but with full combat animations/capability
    • I wouldn't mind seeing civilian female characters, but don't care/prefer if they are combat capable
    • I would prefer to see no female characters in ArmA 3 (downgrade from ArmA 2)

The media is normally stirring things up anyway, what should be more concerningis the attitude of the players and you need look no further than this very thread to get an idea of what that attitude is.

So then, What you said will cancel out your previous saying about the media

End story really is that BIS won't do it regardless be it due to bad press or something else, this is more or less an unwinnable battle and it has nothing to do with the community's beliefs.

I honestly think that all developers should just say Screw the Press and do there thing. The Media has no experience in anything but talking about a bunch of nonsense and BS

And Everything about Women not fighting in the Real World is More BS. What does the real world have to with ARMA III? Which may I remind you people is set in a made up future.

Btw, Women in ARMA III is BIS choice...... So I'll save my energy for Mr.Pillow :)

Please Excuse me.

Edited by Haystack15

another perfect example of what your "advice" is worth. how about you stick to what you DO know before you start guessing, thinking, assuming etc..

you said something about 'unsolicited advice': taking a look at the amount of posts you've written tells me you can't keep your so called advice to yourself. maybe you should think more about not running such a big mouth.

That's enough of that. If you have a problem with me personally, try pming.

Edited by Max Power

So then, What you said will cancel out your previous saying about the media

I honestly think that all developers should just say Screw the Press and do there thing. The Media has no experience in anything but talking about a bunch of nonsense and BS

And Everything about Women not fighting in the Real World is More BS. What does the real world have to with ARMA III? Which may I remind you people is set in a made up future.

Btw, Women in ARMA III is BIS choice...... So I'll save my energy for Mr.Pillow :)

Please Excuse me.

I really need to stop posting late..I forgot to include that first part being just a personal opinion, I agree with you that devs should saw screw the media..technicly they have no power and all the majority does is stir things up...and yet so much seems to depend on them because people like to believe so much of what the media says, screw em.

I mean hell if Rockstar can get away with the things they have then why should anyone else have to fear.

Edited by NodUnit

I really need to stop posting late..I forgot to include that first part being just a personal opinion, I agree with you that devs should saw screw the media..technicly they have no power and all the majority does is stir things up...and yet so much seems to depend on them because people like to believe so much of what the media says, screw em.

I mean hell if Rockstar can get away with the things they have then why should anyone else have to fear.

It has nothing to do with the media, women in combat gears is nothing new in video games (check rainbow six vegas 2, again), it's just that BIS, for some obscure reason isn't bothering to do it.

Apparently they feel there are many other more important priorities that affect more players. If there is this huge outcry for female soldiers, we'd see many mods for ArmA2.

;1990923']Apparently they feel there are many other more important priorities that affect more players. If there is this huge outcry for female soldiers' date=' we'd see many mods for ArmA2.[/quote']

With regards to there not being mods for ARMA2, as far as I have found out, any model would have to be applied to the skeleton used by the male models which more often than not isn't too suitable for women (when it comes to shape and size of body). You can sort of shoe-horn the a female shape/model to fit it so it works in game but it isn't perfect.

Although I'm all for females (fully functional) in ARMA3, I'd love to see a skeleton that can change scale or whatever the function is that would allow different body sizes (I think VBS2 has something to this affect).

With regards to there not being mods for ARMA2, as far as I have found out, any model would have to be applied to the skeleton used by the male models which more often than not isn't too suitable for women (when it comes to shape and size of body). You can sort of shoe-horn the a female shape/model to fit it so it works in game but it isn't perfect.

Although I'm all for females (fully functional) in ARMA3, I'd love to see a skeleton that can change scale or whatever the function is that would allow different body sizes (I think VBS2 has something to this affect).

It's a minor problem really, nearly every games out there use the same skeleton for male and female playermodel and the same animations (check half life 2 and it's numerous custom player models, most of them recycle the default animations and are skinned to the default skeleton)

This makes me think of the US Army in totally differnt outlook now >< BIS choose a Differnt Army for ArmA 3

http://www.raceandhistory.com/cgi-bin/forum/webbbs_config.pl/noframes/read/1099

Bad things can happen to anyone, anywhere, and no country is perfect.

Please stop trying to paint our military as a bunch of rapists based on one incident, or even several of them.

On topic:

I have known women in the military....

I have known women who have seen combat....

I have known women who can effectively shoot a rifle or otherwise.....

I have known female gamers.....

I have known women who play the ArmA series and I am sure that they would appreciate female soldiers, pilots, cooks, recruiters, or anything, as long as their presence and effectiveness is taken into consideration for once.

'nuff said?

-AD

It's a minor problem really, nearly every games out there use the same skeleton for male and female playermodel and the same animations (check half life 2 and it's numerous custom player models, most of them recycle the default animations and are skinned to the default skeleton)

Well it may work out ok for half life but certainly from the attempts I have made it causes a number of issues with proportions (although I guess this is subjective). Obviously it forces women to be the same height as men, which often isn't the case. The shoulders are forced to be too wide/broad because of the skeleton and the only way to make the shoulders look more in proportion is to make the rest of the body wider too.

The arms seem to have to be too long as well which makes things look a bit strange. My point is though that is you could implement what VBS2 has (i think) where the height and width of units can be changed then you could get around this problem.

So you are telling me it's perfectly understandable that an arbitrary male character (civilian or soldier) can pick up and fire a weapon but an arbitrary female character cannot? I never said anything about female soldiers and TBH I don't care how realistic it is for women to be involved in modern combat (btw, ArmA 3 is not modern and BIS has made it perfectly clear they are willing to take creative freedom with army compositions, so such arguments don't even apply).

You know I'm not an expert but I'm pretty sure it's unrealistic for most armed forces to allow a simple infantryman to fly helicopters too; but nobody is arguing about being able to do so in ArmA. So why should women (the women already present in the game) not have full combat animations if it's quite possible IRL for a woman to use a weapon?

It is disappointing, but I know there are reasons behind things and I can only hope BI's reason is not because they simply don't want to (because I really hope they try to in ArmA 3).

Never said the women units shouldn't have full combat animations under any conditions. I said if BIS doesn't plan on adding women combat units, and I'll expand that to include any intention of allowing players to utilize them, then they shouldn't make that a priority. I personally think BIS SHOULD go ahead and add that in as well as some female units. But IF BIS decides not to do that, then they aren't WRONG or out of place for not adding them. That's all. Female combat animations to support or facilitate female combat units is NOT a game breaker. Maybe for some, but for those people I'd question why they are investing in a milsim (just to have female combat units or females that can carry guns?) But, just so that you understand what I would want, I WOULD prefer that BIS include a full range of female animations (including combat animations) for female player models. If they don't, then that's there choice. It's not a right or wrong decision, and the community should not look at it that way and the community should not judge the quality of the game based on whether there is support for female characters using weapons.

Oh, and this has been discussed to death... and the arguing is getting nowhere.

Never said the women units shouldn't have full combat animations under any conditions. I said if BIS doesn't plan on adding women combat units, and I'll expand that to include any intention of allowing players to utilize them, then they shouldn't make that a priority. I personally think BIS SHOULD go ahead and add that in as well as some female units. But IF BIS decides not to do that, then they aren't WRONG or out of place for not adding them. That's all. Female combat animations to support or facilitate female combat units is NOT a game breaker. Maybe for some, but for those people I'd question why they are investing in a milsim (just to have female combat units or females that can carry guns?) But, just so that you understand what I would want, I WOULD prefer that BIS include a full range of female animations (including combat animations) for female player models. If they don't, then that's there choice. It's not a right or wrong decision, and the community should not look at it that way and the community should not judge the quality of the game based on whether there is support for female characters using weapons.

Oh, and this has been discussed to death... and the arguing is getting nowhere.

My point is fairly simple, the game currently allow players to pick a face and a voice in their profile that will be the one they are seen as in multiplayer. Arma 1 used to have a female voice available in the profile and there are some female voices in the game i believe that cannot be assigned to a player either (why? it's anybody's guess).

If Arma3 continue the tradition of allowing players to select a face, use a custom face/hands texture, and select the voice they want to use, there should at least be one female face or more, one of these faces should support custom face/hands texture and also one, or more female voices.

Of course mods can add it and already have in the past (i'm not sure about the voices tho) but this should come standard in the game, you shouldn't need a mod to get a simple feature like this, when i choose the custom male face in the game i am reasonably confident that it will work on every arma servers out there.

My point is fairly simple, the game currently allow players to pick a face and a voice in their profile that will be the one they are seen as in multiplayer. Arma 1 used to have a female voice available in the profile and there are some female voices in the game i believe that cannot be assigned to a player either (why? it's anybody's guess).

If Arma3 continue the tradition of allowing players to select a face, use a custom face/hands texture, and select the voice they want to use, there should at least be one female face or more, one of these faces should support custom face/hands texture and also one, or more female voices.

Of course mods can add it and already have in the past (i'm not sure about the voices tho) but this should come standard in the game, you shouldn't need a mod to get a simple feature like this, when i choose the custom male face in the game i am reasonably confident that it will work on every arma servers out there.

I agree. If it's as simple as that, with or without animations, then it wouldn't be a hassle to add it in.

It's time for female soldiers to get some mud under their perfectly manicured fingernails and maybe snap the odd heel off their pretty pink stiletto shoes while attacking an enemy bunker.

Yes, I want sexy ladies clad in black leather prancing around the battlefield nagging orders at me... please.

this still in discusion? seriously? make a female characters for... I dont know 2-3 womens that actually play this game? and for those 300 guys who wants to use it? oh yeah! this is so fun... NOT!

Men might want to play as women..... :p *Not me, just saying*

And it's about women being able to use the animations men can as well.

id play as one, why the hell not?

although ive seen every excuse in the book against them

THEYRE SHORTER AND SKINNIER SO THAT MEANS THE HIT BOXES ARE SMALLER AND THATS NOT FAIR.

this still in discusion? seriously? make a female characters for... I dont know 2-3 womens that actually play this game? and for those 300 guys who wants to use it? oh yeah! this is so fun... NOT!

You assume far too much.

No, it really has nothing to do with that... it's for realism's sake as well as mission making and the simple fact that women can't pick up a gun is a bit sexist.

No, it really has nothing to do with that... it's for realism's sake as well as mission making and the simple fact that women can't pick up a gun is a bit sexist.

I agree with that. I also think why woman are not included because most people dont like to see woman die. Me neither.... I dont even like to see man die. But this is a game for god sake.. And yeah.. woman can fire guns + they are in some military's/Guerilla's around this world actively fighting. And ARMA 3 if i'm right ends up in a global conflict. So it seems logical that even woman will be fighting. Just like russia had woman sniper sand such in WW2. I actually have some lady friends that are in the Dutch Army and Israeli army.

And yeah it would be great for mission making.

screw the IDF example, what about the russian example?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_in_the_Russian_and_Soviet_military

The russian example shows that it makes a difference for women that war is at the doorstep or far, far, far, away.

"After the war, most women left the armed forces. Those that stayed to make a career in the post-war armed forces saw old attitudes return and promotion and opportunities more difficult"