Sign in to follow this  
enad

ArmA 3 on Steamworks?

Will you buy Arma 3 (Steam exclusive)  

433 members have voted

1. 1. Will you buy Arma 3 (Steam exclusive)

• Yes
    • No

Is it possible Bohemia to include steam client in the disc so people don't need to download Steam from the internet?

That'd be neat. Does any other game do this?

Still needs to be updated as it would be outdated quick? The Steam download is fast if i remember correctly.

Is it possible Bohemia to include steam client in the disc so people don't need to download Steam from the internet?

Typically it is done this way. Both the game files and Steam is included (with Steam being installed first), otherwise the folder structure wouldn't exist to install the game files.

Ohh one question btw, can you still run a client side "server" yourself play missions with friends that can instantly join?

Yeah, that's what I was asking a few pages back. Excuse me for asking this again, but it's very important to me. Will I be able to run a LAN game in hosted multiplayer mode? Just me and a few budies like I do now. Does STEAM impacts that scenario? All I've read so far is either SP, or multiplayer over the Internet.

The "steam only shitstorm" kind of hided that puzzling sentence "As a team we were facing two quite serious situations: we were not happy with how the project was going".

Still needs to be updated as it would be outdated quick? The Steam download is fast if i remember correctly.

Not if you have a crappy 125kbs connection like me. You'll be sitting at the desk waiting for like 10 minutes (which is forever in computer nerd-ism time)

Yeah, that's what I was asking a few pages back. Excuse me for asking this again, but it's very important to me. Will I be able to run a LAN game in hosted multiplayer mode? Just me and a few budies like I do now. Does STEAM impacts that scenario? All I've read so far is either SP, or multiplayer over the Internet.

Steam shouldn't have any effect on that. It would be up to BIS how LAN servers are handled.

Was and am really surprised that the Steam announcement was released without a little more uplifting blog/announcement to better buffer the starving masses on the points they don't like. Kind of like "Heres (to some) the bad news but check out this great news ________"

Yeah I am surprised too. 3 pics aint gonna do it unfortunately. A video at the very least might have softened the blow a bit. announcement of when the alpha would be released would probably had people forgetting about steam much quicker. But I guess its much easier to see what could have been done in hindsight. And maybe this isn't it. Maybe this is just the vegetables we have to eat before dessert is served. RIE did say:

I think someone may be overcooking the stew a little bit here (I've never used that expression before, probably won't again).

We do have news planned for this week but, on a scale of 1-to-'blow-your-tits-off', mine only get a distinct but brief jiggle.

After that, though.. well...:cool:

The "steam only shitstorm" kind of hided that puzzling sentence "As a team we were facing two quite serious situations: we were not happy with how the project was going".

Could be. But I am still trying to figure out whether the steam announcement was to cover up the bad progress or bad progress was simply their justification for using steam. Sometimes it seems like BIS is afraid of releasing any details on the ups and the downs of development, leading to silence. How bad are things really going?

guess we'll find out more with the next devblog.

Oh and "intel redacted" is still up on the website. I can't wait for whatever update is being done to be complete.

Ok, i slept a night over it, and here are my thoughts.

I didnt expect steam exclusivity.

I dont like the fact that a game is dependent on a third party app.

I dont hate steam that much that i would skip arma3

In fact, i always wanted a dedicated work, and a dedicated game rig.

This 'steam debacle' finally ends my wish for a dedicated game machine.

So..... i'm not worried about steam at all. i guess its a matter of 'getting used to'

i only hope that stupid steam tray info screen wont popup ingame.

Not if you have a crappy 125kbs connection like me. You'll be sitting at the desk waiting for like 10 minutes (which is forever in computer nerd-ism time)

This is a problem for me too somehow Steam is really slow in updating or it just crashes because my net is too slow, but perhaps Bohemia or perhaps Six Updater will have a third party software that will be able to update the game without Steam. I would love to be able to use steam and working correctly at least but most of the time I wait hours for nothing and I have to download all over again. Perhaps it's possible to cache what you've already downloaded, would be a big win for people with bad connections since I don't use steam simply because of this reason.

for these who aren't happy with my previous answers, We assess the feedback and will address the concerns in detailed way later !

i just love that 10 pages of Steam bitching follows after some finally needed update, only to be followed by another 20 pages of bickering back and forth after a MOD had already told everyone to take the discussion to the Steam discussion thread... FAIL

stop flooding this thread with shit that should not be here. especially when there is a thread dedicated to it else where.

this thread should be locked and only have BIS/MOD post up the devblog updates. if people want to discuss something that was part of an update, do it in it's own thread. there is absolutely no reason for this thread to have 461 pages.. i am getting real sick of having to wade through all this garbage that doesn't belong in here.

Train_Derailed_Wide.jpg

Edited by [FHA]Dynamo

tremanarch, I apologize, but when you say something like "There might be people which have problems but I dont see how a possible minority should dictate how things go for the majority?" i have the right to feel kinda bit oppressed as the member of forementioned minority, don't you think. I totally understand your point of view and kinda agree with it, but it doesn't make my experience less frustrating.

@MadDogX

I'm not an "anti-Steam guy", I just don't like it and pretty worried if I will be able to play Arma3 :)

Apology accepted and I too apologize for my bad sentences and grammar (english is not my main language).

I tried to make clear in previous posts that I cant really speak for all gamers and only for me and close friends, and that we had never such serious problems that many people fear might happen. I also see that some people do actually have problems, and thats not nice for them!

I just wanted to make one point clear: steam not working is not the normal state but the rare state. Of course this aint help for someone who has the bad luck of a non working steam! In the end I had no solution for problems of a minority. I say minority because I guess that the majority of steam players can use it quite efficiently as though me and my freinds which is the only reference I have.

But I have really nothing more to add to the topic as that steam is in most environments working good, and using low ressources. Of course this is not true for 100% of all people! And i tried to put these arguments that say stuff like: "what if steam goes bancrupt etc, what if someone hacks my account" into perspective as these are things that might happen, but they are far from common. ANd in the case of being hacked users can do stuff on their own to prevent it and they can contact steam support which might give them their accounts back if they can prove they bought only one game of the accounts collection.

I hope on the day steam releases a3 you will be among the guys who successfully install it, and we will see us on the battlefields as friends or foes :)

Good luck man!

Edited by tremanarch

Hi all,

Please try to maintain the level of maturity that we have come to expect from the ArmA community. It is no use labeling those who dislike steam as enemies of progress, backward steam-haters or otherwise uninformed. I personally have had technical issues with steam before, but that is NOT the problem. I just have issues with the way steam and steamworks conducts its business. That is why I have a right to voice my objection about the decision to go steam only. Restricting customer choice regardless of the reasons, in not a good thing.

That is not to say that I don't respect BIS decision or understand it. I do, and I support them if that is the path they want to take. I just hope that they would at least consider the possibility of an alternative even at a later release date.

for these who aren't happy with my previous answers, We assess the feedback and will address the concerns in detailed way later !

Thank you, I look forward to it.

Am i the only one that is concerned about thjis line; "The bottom-line: we feel that without going Steam-exclusive, we would not be able to release Arma 3 in 2013."

Can someone explain this?

I dont dislike Steam, but i'm wondering if this means that i'm not able to install the game on a SSD instead of my harddrive?

Steam shouldn't have any effect on that. It would be up to BIS how LAN servers are handled.

Thank you buddy. I only hope to be among the mayority that will get the benefits of the STEAM-only realease, and not among the minority that will have issues :p.

Thank you buddy. I only hope to be among the mayority that will get the benefits of the STEAM-only realease, and not among the minority that will have issues :p.
Tell that to this poll: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?119472-Steamworks-add-it-in-or-not And don't whine about this forum not being an accurate cross-section of ArmA's players as a whole. How do you know that better than anyone else?

Thank you, I look forward to it.
I interpret that to mean ; "Once you all clam down, we can give you some more bad news". This is a planed slow info trick.:butbut:

Am i the only one that is concerned about thjis line; "The bottom-line: we feel that without going Steam-exclusive, we would not be able to release Arma 3 in 2013."

I dont dislike Steam, but i'm wondering if this means that i'm not able to install the game on a SSD instead of my harddrive?

You can chose the installation drive now, so yes you can install it on your SSD.

As for the bold line:

A. Steam functionality covering server browsing, mod support and anti cheat frees up dev. time that would oterwise push the dev. time into 2014

B. Using a digital distribution platform with a massive reach cuts costs and the headache of dealing with regional publishers.

Can I also disable logging how long I played Arma3 and when? Somehow I doubt it.

This is the first real good negative point vs steam I kind of feel too. Privacy.

What if I dont want my friends (which are just contacts in steam, that might be also working colleges or even the boss) to see what game I play when and how and how often and how long?

Yes. Privacy is a very precious good for me too.

The thing I learned in the internets is that I have to have two accounts on everyhting. 1 official with my real name and a very boring attitude (never being online, always being nice and a good man) and the second account being my off work mind, the gaming king, the forum flamer the bad guy and the guy with the bad taste in humor :)

THis is for me a general problem I have with Internets, personality, friends and 'friends'.. applies to steam also. Why they dont add a privacy option is beyond me though. I would never add colleagues or people from my work to steam though!

Edited by tremanarch

clipboard02et.jpg

Thank you guys