Sign in to follow this  
walker

Do you want Laaagdoll Physics in ArmA 3?

Do You want Ragdoll Physics in ArmA 3  

475 members have voted

1. 1. Do You want Ragdoll Physics in ArmA 3

• Yes!
    • No!
    • Yes I am not bothered if it does not work!
    • No I understand that it cannot be sychronised in MP
    • Yes I have seen lots of games with it in MP but I can not name one at the moment.
    • No understand that no game maker has ever made it work.
    • I am not bothered.

And, I suspect this thread has served its purpose, in that an overwhelmng poll result has been achieved.

An interesting case study in overwhelming rhetoric and somewhat pandered slanted poll backfiring.

The people have spoken: "Laaaagdoll for the win!!"

The examples so far pointed to all either disapear the body or turn off colision detection, making the dead body a ghost rather than tactical cover which is its only possible purpose for being in the simulation.

What do you mean its only possible purpose? IMMERSION. Seeing a person fall off of a building straight as a plank is a BUZZKILL.

I don't see anything wrong with the ragdoll physics in ARMA, they seem pretty meager compared to some games. When someone gets hit with an RPG, i want to see them fly 20 feet because it looks cool, not because it's realistic that 100's of small fragments travelling faster than any bullet are hitting them at once.

-snip-

I like how you just completely ignored my post about ragdolls being sucessfully implemented in multiplayer in Battlefield 2, back in 2005.

The truth hurts, pal. We're not in the 56k era anymore.

Edited by RangerPL

BFBC2 did it really well, it'd be awesome to see that in arma (albeit just make the bodys weigh more) most is done clientside anyway... only issue is recovering gear off dead bodies (which you can just do the BF2 style of the kit is dropped separate to the ragdol where the unit was killed before ragdolling)

BFBC2 did it really well, it'd be awesome to see that in arma (albeit just make the bodys weigh more) most is done clientside anyway... only issue is recovering gear off dead bodies (which you can just do the BF2 style of the kit is dropped separate to the ragdol where the unit was killed before ragdolling)

Just walk up to the body and click G like you do in ArmA 2..?

It's not like Ragdoll is going to make dead bodies unapproachable.

So, the guy i killed will say "hey wait,wait, wait,wait!!! Before i die i will put all my stuff inside this little bag and let on the ground to you. OK done, kill me now"

Dont try to turn ArmA in BF for God Sake.

the body wont be in the same place for everyone because of lag (and other factors) so some clients (whos positions will be updated constantly) will look like they are grabbing gear off a patch of grass knowhere near the body... you'd do it this way to save insane amounts of excess overhead on the network where its really not needed as physics/ragdoll on death is just an eyecandy feature --- this is how its done in modern shooters which use it... if you get a chance watch 2 people playing BC2 side by side, watch them kill somone and tell me if the body falls EXACTLY the same on both screens. (its about saving unnecessary network load for an eyecandy feature)

Edited by Scubbo

Why every BF player want another game to became a BFgame, BF series even isnt that great, besides 1942?

He's just using it as a technical example.

~_~ I was only suggesting a way that its most likly to be implamented (probably not the BF2 way of dropping the kit btw.. was an EXAMPLE)

as already A2 struggles like HELL on a very good server when you have a lot going on --- units skipping at range no matter your packet settings, adding sync'ed physics to the already crippled system just WONT HAPPEN. so it has to be done clientside, which also means it will scale to different graphics qualities and still work in MP.

I want full-blown physics. You say it's a waste of CPU power? Well, buy a new one then.

Hi all

And still not one can point to a single MP game with more than a handfull of entities that uses Ragdoll physics.

Not one.

Did any of you wonder why?

Kind Regards walker

- Rainbow 6 Vegas (2)

- Ghost Recon Advanced Warfare (GRAW) 1+2 (both PhysX and absolutely awesome!)

Special case for cineasts:

- Brink (it's absolutely gamey, but ragdolls are awesome!)

None of above-mentioned MP FPS employing ragdoll physics have funny exagerated ragdolls, hell not even Brink which I call cineastic - it always adds and never takes.

Please cut the whining and be glad about PhysX - specially when I remember GRAW1+2 - damn, that was awesome with the physics!

EDIT: Your argument ragdolls have to be synced across MP is nil btw. - only the flying arc or approximate position where the body lies has to be the same for everyone; the rest doesn't need to be the same, e.g. the stance.

A good demo how ragdolls in Vegas 2 are used:

The player is sort of lame, but you can see nicely how the dead enemies lump around when they fall down.

As you can see ragdolls have been used for years past in MP games with good results.

Edited by Fireball

Two more examples for good ragdoll implementation:

Half Life 2

Soldier Of Fortune

Better ask if people would like to see a cineastic freak show in A3 or if they want something that looks more authentic and believable.

Better ask if people would like to see a cineastic freak show in A3 or if they want something that looks more authentic and believable.

Not sure what angle you playing here but I find shooting AI that take a few more steps before they realize they should be dead or a soldier has to Finnish scratching his ass before dieing is.... unbelievable...

Rag doll done correctly is believable.

I think the consensus is overwhelmingly obvious. Ragdoll is IN :)

If it worked that way, ragdoll would have been in Arma1 five years ago. :D

But it does seem that most people want it, and that one screenshot with the dead dude did at least hint that it might be in. I hope it's true.

If it worked that way, ragdoll would have been in Arma1 five years ago. :D

But it does seem that most people want it, and that one screenshot with the dead dude did at least hint that it might be in. I hope it's true.

Well, I meant as far as the purpose of this thread goes :)

Seeing as it apparently has no other purpose.

Well, I meant as far as the purpose of this thread goes :)

Seeing as it apparently has no other purpose.

Looking at the thread title and poll options, I believe the purpose of this thread was to subtly (or not so subtly) tell everyone who wants ragdoll in Arma3 that they are morons. :p

Looking at the thread title and poll options, I believe the purpose of this thread was to subtly (or not so subtly) tell everyone who wants ragdoll in Arma3 that they are morons. :p

Oh yeah - to be sure :)

In fact if the OP wished to properly lean opinions toward his own favour, he should have given 6 slightly different reasons why it would be cool, and one single "no" option.

However, the purpose of the thread seems to be the relentless repeating of the OP's original opinions, never to be revised or questioned.

ragdoll physics is good only when the AI is alive, but if the AI is killed they will be squishy w/o any weight. Hope this is not the same in Arma3.

Bouncing tanks and flying cars wasn't enough, now you want bouncing dead people? ;)