Sign in to follow this  
walker

Do you want Laaagdoll Physics in ArmA 3?

Do You want Ragdoll Physics in ArmA 3  

475 members have voted

1. 1. Do You want Ragdoll Physics in ArmA 3

• Yes!
    • No!
    • Yes I am not bothered if it does not work!
    • No I understand that it cannot be sychronised in MP
    • Yes I have seen lots of games with it in MP but I can not name one at the moment.
    • No understand that no game maker has ever made it work.
    • I am not bothered.

Thought I would chime in to state a few things.

First of all, ragdolls can be put at rest until a force acts on them, making them use almost no processing power. Second is that ragdolls can be very realistic, and can look extremely authentic. I recommend looking at the deaths in Red Orchestra 2 for an example of realistic ragdolls. Third is this myth that ragdolls cannot be serverside- with a few optimizations (stopping computation when at rest, only keeping track of a base limb, and placing the same restrictions on them you'd place on other serverside bodies) it is perfectly possible for a decent server to keep track of hundreds of ragdolls. Garry's Mod has shown that a well-optimized engine can have serverside physics on literally thousands of active objects with no trouble.

And Garry's Mod's maps are what? 100 meters by 100 meters tops?

Of course it will be interested to see if BIS will be able to synchronize every single ragdoll down to every small detail on every client.

You may hide behind a foot of some dead soldier and get shot in the head because for the shooter the leg will be somewhere else.

You may hide behind a foot of some dead soldier and get shot in the head because for the shooter the leg will be somewhere else.

^^ That sounds so utterly ridiculous, I'm sure you must be kidding.

And Garry's Mod's maps are what? 100 meters by 100 meters tops?

Of course it will be interested to see if BIS will be able to synchronize every single ragdoll down to every small detail on every client.

^^ That sounds so utterly ridiculous, I'm sure you must be kidding.

Indeed, I hope that's the case :)

I anticipate that ragdoll in MP will act pretty much like smoke in MP, in that the source will be synced across clients, but that if you were to screenshot from each client it will look a little different. As each particle cannot be sunchronised across clients, then each limb won't either. And complaints that a foot is out of sync will be just, well, ridiculous.

I anticipate that ragdoll in MP will act pretty much like smoke in MP, in that the source will be synced across clients, but that if you were to screenshot from each client it will look a little different.

Then let's hope that they can at least handle the positions correctly in RV4. For example, currently the position of thrown smoke grenades in RV3 can differ up to 30+ meters on each client...

Xeno

Arma 2 is like bf1942, we want JUICE physics.
Well you're getting PhysX.

JUICE physics are good because they were made with limited capability and purpose whereas PhysX is far more advanced.

The reason why most people don't like PhysX is because developers don't utilize PhysX fully, and it's not even developers fault at all, there's simply no such hardware available for mass market that can support what PhysX can offer.

Realistic smoke, particles, destruction, rag dolls, tearing, cloth, light bending and travel, water simulation, soft bodies, etc, all of it is possible with PhysX, all you need is hardware to emulate it smoothly. Perhaps it's a no surprise that some brands/agencies/companies use advanced version of PhysX for their hardware and design.

PhysX is a good choice, thumbs up for BI, but optimizing PhysX for A3 will surely cause several headaches before things get smooth enough to satisfy average ArmA fans or newcomer gamers needs and expectations.

If I had to guess I would say that the reason they chose physx is because they have people who have worked with it in BiSim and know it, and also have already put PhysX hooks into their VBS RV engine so how to integrate it is also already known somewhat.