Sign in to follow this  
walker

Do you want Laaagdoll Physics in ArmA 3?

Do You want Ragdoll Physics in ArmA 3  

475 members have voted

1. 1. Do You want Ragdoll Physics in ArmA 3

• Yes!
    • No!
    • Yes I am not bothered if it does not work!
    • No I understand that it cannot be sychronised in MP
    • Yes I have seen lots of games with it in MP but I can not name one at the moment.
    • No understand that no game maker has ever made it work.
    • I am not bothered.

most of this discussion is pointless as You don't know about the advances in the terms of RD nor physics overall ...

so don't worry we trying our best to make it in way you like it (this includes some of the worry points)

Then educate us!! *hint tech blog*

:protest:

Don't blame us for not knowing what are you guys doing. :(

Some people here might actually know quite a bit about physics and computer science to be completely honest. Your forgetting that you have a game community in which a large population of us are college/university students or graduates.

I'm not saying I know anything about it, I'm just saying that you are probably wrong to assume this.

I believe he is talking about the state of Arma3's physical simulation in particular, not physics in general.

both, erm all 3 things ;) ... and ye I would like to show you something w/o tactical nuke destroying my bunker just before I hit enter

both, erm all 3 things ;) ... and ye I would like to show you something w/o tactical nuke destroying my bunker just before I hit enter

I know a good unlicensed surgeon that can get that monitoring chip out of your brain Dwarden. The Spanel brothers will never know...

Well at least we know your intentions! ;) But then again, so does BI :0

most of this discussion is pointless as You don't know about the advances in the terms of RD nor physics overall ...

so don't worry we trying our best to make it in way you like it (this includes some of the worry points)

Do the corpses accurately stop bullets like in the previous games?

That is one hell of a non disclosure agreement penalty.

Well, it sure beats having a NDA that wouldn't hurt anyone unless you rolled it up and poked the violator in the eye with it! (Disclosure: Jack Murphy of SOFREP originally made this analogy.)

Seriously, I'm of the "as long as it doesn't hurt consistent framerate, go ahead" crowd.

Do the corpses accurately stop bullets like in the previous games?

well I see no reason why they would cease to do so :cool:

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Bullet_penetrability

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/ArmA:_RVMAT#Surface_physical_properties

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Damage#Fire_geometry

---------- Post added at 08:58 ---------- Previous post was at 08:56 ----------

i'm sure I had no NDA, just something in strange language signed with blood ... ;)

Hi, i think that a realistic Ragdoll system would add alot of inmersion to the game, and that would be possitive because will keep the players base and possibly attract new players too; IMO. Let's C ya

Since corpses don't dissapear in ARMA, what will happen with dead bodies after a while? Solid objects?

well I see no reason why they would cease to do so :cool:

I'm an addon maker and I'm well aware of how BI's current technology works with respect to how addons are set up. Forgive me if my question wasn't clear. If you read TOP, Walker is primarily concerned about sending the states of the ragdolling skeletons over the network since physics engines are somewhat random. It would be a shame for someone to think he was being shielded by a corpse on his own machine, but he really wasn't on someone else's machine, if you get what I'm saying. That's why the topic is called 'laaaagdoll'. It's more of a concern about the accurate posing of ragdolled soldiers on all machines on a network.

Edited by Max Power

I'm an addon maker and I'm well aware of how BI's current technology works with respect to how addons are set up. Forgive me if my question wasn't clear. If you read TOP, Walker is primarily concerned about sending the states of the ragdolling skeletons over the network since physics engines are somewhat random. It would be a shame for someone to think he was being shielded by a corpse on his own machine, but he really wasn't on someone else's machine, if you get what I'm saying. That's why the topic is called 'laaaagdoll'. It's more of a concern about the accurate posing of ragdolled soldiers on all machines on a network.

I wasn't really aware of that, that would be to me a very big issue.

As was also discussed, the most obvious & efficient solution is to sync the torso positions only. How this is done in practise will only become apparent once the beta is out, but I would predict that each machine syncs torso positions at some point either after or during a fall, and arms & legs etc are positioned locally only. IMO anyone who complains that a leg is not in the same position on all machines is being too picky :)

As was also discussed, the most obvious & efficient solution is to sync the torso positions only. How this is done in practise will only become apparent once the beta is out, but I would predict that each machine syncs torso positions at some point either after or during a fall, and arms & legs etc are positioned locally only. IMO anyone who complains that a leg is not in the same position on all machines is being too picky :)

I agree completelly. BIS doesn't need to sync every finger and toe on every client / server, torso is enough. When torso is synced, legs and arms should be in mostly same positions for everyone. (little variations obviously, but not that large ones). Head should be in same place for pretty much everyone. And those who complain "ugh now I can't hide under bodies anymore", you can't in ArmA 2 either, because dying animation can be different for different players, so the body ends up little differently for everyone.

like I said, don't worry max ... :)

so stop speculating cause ^ should be enough info about the case :)

I have a question, if you don't mind. Will there be any gravity "physics" effects on particles, preferably for huge explosions? If so that's going to be a great fireworks show :D

I have a question, if you don't mind. Will there be any gravity "physics" effects on particles, preferably for huge explosions? If so that's going to be a great fireworks show :D

There already is. It's up to the designer of the effect how much gravity affects particles.

There already is. It's up to the designer of the effect how much gravity affects particles.

ArmA 2 has physics implemented, but majority doesn't see those as "physics" so in order to make it easy to understand I asked that way. What I really meant was large scale particle simulation and longer lasting effect on those.

Well the legs make up a significant proportion of the body mass. The men of ArmA 2 have 4 spine bones, each controlling less actual body mass then the thigh bones.

Hi, if the physics would affect for example the smoke, as local wind or wind from a source (plane, chopper, fat shells..) would be really really pimp and that lil' thingy would attract alot of players and possitive feedback, wich means money for BIS. Let's C ya

ArmA 2 has physics implemented, but majority doesn't see those as "physics" so in order to make it easy to understand I asked that way. What I really meant was large scale particle simulation and longer lasting effect on those.

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/ParticleArray

The particle system in arma 2 is pretty complex. They already take into account their density, initial velocity, drag, the wind speed and direction, and other things. Complex effects are certainly possible, even by the hobbyist. DMarkwick is one of those people that has used the particle effects system to much success.

...they just look bad and have an awful performance.