Sign in to follow this  
David Schofield

What's the overall best rifle for the AI in Arma II?

Well, I'm playing one of the user-made missions (without the addons and stuff) and I'm really stuck behind what guns I should arm my soldiers with. I mean, there's plenty of choices, like, every one of the 'Western' guns in the game, (Even the G36c and XM8's and stuff) but I need to decide which guns are superior to the rest. Overall, how would the top 5 guns play out?

The purpose isn't really anything specific except to be described as a low-casualty and long-term mission at all ranges, mostly mid to long range.

I'd like to figure out which guns in AI hands would be able to do the most damage. Things like "Does the DMR beat the m107?" and "Which is Better? G36a or M8 Carbine?"

I'm always using the G36, love the look of the C version and the K version doubles as a sniper rifle

„running-gunâ€, but I prefer AK-107 GL Kobra

Generally sniper rifles and machine guns for everyone! AI tend to have longer engagement ranges with those weapons, and longer engagement ranges = win! Realistic? Hell no, but that's the responsibility of the mission designer to make sure there aren't randomly 10 units of every possible gun available for every mission. But if there IS, then I don't see why I shouldn't take advantage of it.

For the player, an ACOG or a PSO scope should do it - depending on. Sometimes a sniper rifle is the best option. Depends on the ranges involved, whether it's night or day etc. AI can't use the grenade launchers, so it's a waste giving that to them.

Regards,

Wolfrug

Any of the 7.62 Nato ones, like the Mk-17 or FN Fal. One shot kills every time, unlike the 5.56 ones where you might need 3-5 shots to drop someone.

Edited by Johan S

haha, no no, you all are wrong, the best rifles are Ak-74 family :P

Nah, but thats only my opinion :P

CQB: Bison, M4A1

Range/Patrol: FN F2000S (Lingor Units) or AK-107 Cobra

Honestly, I find the Mk17 to be the best weapon if you can control the recoil and deal with the small magazines. The stopping power and accuracy, even over long distances, are excellent, especially when combined with a decent ROF. Plus, the ability to have both CQB and long-ranged sights for it in OA make it a killer in both scenarios.

Good question what the AI manages the best. They tend to fire so fast I don't think too heavy weapons (like the Mk17) suits them well. AK-74 PSO, M16A4 ACOG, and G36 are probably the best kind of rifles you can toss the AI.

i like mk17 allso. for night ops SAW with TWS is a must. What makes the TWS m249 a killer is the scopes ability to zoom in and out.

I like the one in my hands that is loaded and works :)

This too. :cool:

Clearly some people hav'nt read the OP

Whoops. Guilty. :o

Thread title's a little misleading, then. I'll add that it's for AI. :)

Whoops. Guilty. :o

Thread title's a little misleading, then. I'll add that it's for AI. :)

Lol i must be on the blob, im getting angry at everything!:mad:

Haha

Lately I found the M14 to be my favorite. Again the 7.62 argument, the FAL and Mk17 have the same advantage..on the AK side it would be the AKM for the same reason.

Edit: I practically never use burst or full auto, I prefer to aim...

Lately I found the M14 to be my favorite. Again the 7.62 argument, the FAL and Mk17 have the same advantage..on the AK side it would be the AKM for the same reason.

Edit: I practically never use burst or full auto, I prefer to aim...

/\ Another one :rolleyes:

Well AI with Snipers have superior spotting range, but are terrible in cqb

PKP ive found extreamly deadly at mid to long range

It seems that normal assault rifles rarely differ in performance, but i would say the Ak107 due to its high fire rate, or the AKM for its increased clip size.

But whatever you choose always have a sinper/marksman in a squad to increase spotting range

I would definitely go with a Mk17 variant for the usual single hit kills, VSS (a lot of folk don't like it for some reason) or Silenced Mk17 sniper are great in warfare as you can pretty much wipe out a whole town single handed and not get caught. The Sa-58s are decent guns too, as well as a lot of the AK variants.

The AK-107 Variants do a pretty good job. Small recoil, very lethal. Perfect for every environment