Sign in to follow this  
Undeceived

BI Developer's Blog: An interesting new entry

Meh. Pretty disappointed.

That's what you get when your getting your hopes too high for new Arma 2 content. Why was it announced on the Arma 2 Facebook page and not on the BIS page ?

I just hope that "Taking on a sharper focus" doesn't mean that the focus will move away from Arma now.

Sorry, BIS, and I know I will now get some flak for writing this, but this kind of marketing wasn't the best idea, since by posting breadcrumps ONLY on the Arma 2 page on Facebook, you made it look like it's Arma 2 related. That HAD to lead to disappointment. In fact, I would be less disappointed if it were an April's Fool joke, but as it is now, it looks like there won't be much in terms of Arma 2 content in the future. I did read the other post where BIS basically said it would still update Arma 2, but I'm pretty sure that taking on (no pun intended) another big project WILL reduce the efforts spent on Arma.

I just hope that the tenth anniversary of Operation Flashpoint won't be the start of the series funeral.

Read here mate:

Thanks, guys!

Let me make a few quick points while you pick over the carcass of the announcement. Though I'm sure my sage wisdom will soon become buried under a pile of new comments. :D

The announcement of Take On obviously doesn't mean that support for arma 2 will be dropped. With a new patch soonâ„¢ to be released, the imminent arrival of A2:Reinforcements, and some as-yet-unannounced plans in the pipeline, we'll be chained to our bug-fixing desks for some time to come.

We've got more than one team, and they're all within relative kicking distance for those show-stoppers, tweaks, and optimisations. Just think of us as a multi-core CPU, except we're submersible in beer. Anyway, we've never heard of any developer just suddenly slashing support for a product with little warning. :p

The ongoing developments and tech improvements we're able to focus on in Take On are bound to filter down to other and future projects. We've got a more in-depth interview about the whole shabam coming up soon, and I just know the community will get giddy when they read about them. DID SOMEONE SAY PiPRENDERTOTEXTURE?!?!

This project is certainly closer to the arma engine and family than other ongoing developments, which is another reason we felt it was appropriate to post on the Arma 2 FB channel (Though, I thought you guys had all boycotted such privacy-threatening nonsense! :p). Also, only 400 of you fine gentlemen and ladies 'like' the official BI channel. Fiends.

TL;DR Haters gonna hate; helicopters rule.

Best,

RiE

This just in - every piece of news BIS releases will come with a disclaimer assuring people they aren't leaving the milsim genre in order to prevent butthurt.

/sarcasm :D

Personally, I´m really pleased with this revelation. That it was teased in via the Arma 2 facebook is a small bump compared to what this might do. There are no good civilian helicopter sims around nowadays, and especially none that offer a proper campaign (and in this case probably even a solid business simulation, where you have to buy helicopters, recruit personell and do missions), good flight-modelling and beautiful worlds to fly in. Plus, this will probably be as infinitely expandeable as Arma 2 is, with all the tools BI provides.

Both thumbs up on this, BI. Is was close to getting bored with all that Arma 2 milsim stuff, but you have my attention again now! Keep it up

This is incredibly interesting. I'd rather fly around the various maps (Official and Mod made) with the helicopters in ARMA 2 than in FSX. For all the disclaimers ARMA 2 isn;t a flight sim, the handling is as good if not better than FSX.

Add to that there is waaayyyyy more detail in ARMA 2 maps than the off the shelf FSX (and other flight sims) its simply more fun to do stuff (even non-combat related) in ARMA 2.

I hope this isn't a joke and look forward to the chance to buy the game. Personally think anything that can bring more cash into Bohemian will only help continue the awesome work they do in the Mil-Sim games...:):)

As much as I doubt it'll come true, I'm still wishing for an April fools day joke. The thing that confuses me most are the other multiple projects that BI has (Pound of Ground, Carrier Command, etc.) haven't received anywhere near as much attention as this has. Personally I think it would've been a much smarter idea to just outright announce the new project to the community instead of making some riddle for them to figure out off of ArmA's page (as well as using something like Vrana Corp for the youtube channel, seeing that initially that was an ArmA based 'company'), or at least announcing that it had no relation to ArmA just so that people (like myself...) wouldn't get too overly excited. I fully intend to buy the game in support of the company and the hope that it somehow benefits ArmA down the road instead of slowly forgetting about it, letting it collect dust on the top of a bookshelf.

...(as well as using something like Vrana Corp for the youtube channel, seeing that initially that was an ArmA based 'company')...

I would imagine this game taking place in the "Armaverse" too, with all the stuff that´s been going on there. Maybe we´ll even get a PMC expansion at some later date for TakeOn, flying Kasatkas around an expanded map of Takistan? The possibillities are endless... right now at least I think this is the best new thing since sliced bread.

(The least it did was draw my attention away from Red River)

Both thumbs up on this, BI. Is was close to getting bored with all that Arma 2 milsim stuff, but you have my attention again now! Keep it up

You seriously didnt say that!!!

I can see benefits of this sort of focus creeping into arma. Think flight model controls, physics and such.

Also, if this is a fairly simmy thing, then this will probably be a small'ish project. A small Steam-mostly product, type thing, perhaps.

Just speculation of course.

Oh crybaby how can you be dissapointed if there is nothing released yet? Pretty childish isn't it?

But go on and paint it all black.... its your own apocalyptic sentiment. ;)

A sentiment that is obviously shared by many. I am not disappointed about anything that was released. I am disappointed that it was said the focus would shift away from ArmA.

And, can you argue without calling others "crybaby"? The tone here is civil, and I guess people can expect to be handled that way.

You seriously didnt say that!!!

:< Hey, I´m an offline only person. There´s only so much fun to be had running around forests and shooting guys in blue pants 24/7. But, jokes aside, I´ve been playing Arma 2 -only- ever since it´s been released, only intermittedly throwing in some Flallout:NV and Metro 2033, so I´ve been a little filled up with it. I still have things to do, though, like finishing the PMC campaign.

Yet, really, something new and potentially brilliant from my favourite games studio? Sure buy.

Read here mate:

Read my post as well

I said that I did read that statement. But if you read my post again, you would notice that I said that it will shift the focus away from Arma, NO MATTER WHAT. Yes, there will be patches, yes, it won't die, but it won't be the focus anymore. How big are the chances of getting a new expansion with the workload of a game added that's gonna be released later this year ? Don't expect any Arma 2 expansion or DLC this year still.

And to NoRailgunner: thanks for calling everyone that's disappointed a "crybaby" and childish. It's incredibly mature to call people names that have a different opinion than you.

how many developers working on a SINGLE game do you know? I know none, besides BIS at this point. So please stop with all the shifting focus crap

Bear in mind that Bohemia has merged with 2 other companies about 8-9 months ago, so the manpower is higher these days. It is not worth keeping more people than you actually need for developing.

Plus, i am sure it is a healthy change from the military genre for them as well. Why do you see only the downside of this move?

It might not be your cup of tea, i can agree with that (it's not mine either), but i wonder why you judge them.

I think many were just excited for the possibility of hearing about an upgraded engine for the next installment (hopefully) of the series.

I heard Urban Seattle -dreams of an enhanced urban combat and perhaps animation middleware went thru my head :rolleyes:

Edited by froggyluv

since i dont expect major engine updates on the game im not that sad. i hope and im pretty sure that we will see Arma 3 in the future. this game allready has so much content now(and im playing without addons for the most time), that DLC is not really necassary. it would be nice and i would buy it, but hey, maybe were gettin some new upgrades like the 3D Editor in the near future.

i love choppers and im sure BIS doing a great sim there we can looking forward to play.

BIS has been developing Carrier Command game for some time now, you all think another game will make them drop Arma?? Hell, they are involved in so much already, mocap studio, sounds, linda, sprocket, BIA, buying up other game developers... Get some perspective and relax.

its only good for bis to expand their portfolio, and making another simulation is also a good thing for them because they already have a good name in this sector.

i just hope that this wont cut down the arma 2 support :o

and i scincerely hope that this game will sell well enough to finance ArmA III!

(The least it did was draw my attention away from Red River)

Now thats worrying! :eek: :p

There are no good civilian helicopter sims around nowadays, and especially none that offer a proper campaign (and in this case probably even a solid business simulation, where you have to buy helicopters, recruit personell and do missions), good flight-modelling and beautiful worlds to fly in.

FSX + several high-quality, in-depth 3rd-party addons + www.fseconomy.com

Nothing against BIS but they'll need to overcome quite a bit to get me away from that.

Awe man, I was really hoping for something ArmA related. Props to BIS for expanding their market a bit and hopefully this turns out great for those that want it, but to me the hype was all for nothing. I guess I'll go back to beating on insurgents for a while.

EDIT: Since this isn't even ArmA related shouldn't this thread get moved to the Take On Helicopters section?

So please stop with all the shifting focus crap

IIRC, it was BIS themselves that said they are shifting the focus, or re-focusing or something of that kind.

Whatever. We'll see, but pardon me if I am not exactly optimistic.

Much as I'd love it if BIS did nothing but expand ArmA that's simply not realistic. ArmA 2 is in great shape now, still grows daily with multiple community releases and has a good long life ahead. I think this new game looks pretty cool and the idea is typically savvy, everyone likes flying choppers in RV (the same can't always be said for running and shooting) and we might see some new tech make its way into ArmA 3 (or even ArmA 2).

So those cloud particle effects are in game, somehow im really skeptical. also the ending with the coastline looks too good to be true.

Also what kind of physics simulation will be in this game? if its the same as arma 2 im going to ROFL.