Sign in to follow this  
mr_centipede

ARMA 2: OA beta build 78927

No fps drop at all with scopes here. But is was also barely noticable before. With some hardware specs your post would have some sort of report character, without it's just a another rant. I also noticed that DLC don't need the -mod= command anymore to work properly

FPS drop through optics in the forest is virtually eliminated in my case, when in the past, it was virtually unplayable. Specs below.

NVIDIA GTX 460 GPU

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit OS

6GB RAM

Sorry I haven't been around as much, been working and other life-related things. Less time for gaming. :P

Anyway, I just tested this versus the last build (78888), and the performance when scoping toward a forest is definitely improved. One issue I am noticing (and maybe this is an old one, it was in the previous beta as well) is that there is this white speckling around the edges of foliage now. I'm thinking maybe it has something to do with this AToC that was added (again, I am sort of behind the times here), but here's a screen of what I'm talking about:

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii140/AFireEternal/arma2oaspeckles.jpg > 100kb

Is this normal? Or is something messed up in my drivers/settings? PC and settings are in sig.

Edited by Zipper5

Did anyone of you test this latest version yet who speak of faster/doubled anims speeds?

If not, please do so first to recognize the changes BI has done since 1.58 RC.

One issue I am noticing (and maybe this is an old one, it was in the previous beta as well) is that there is this white speckling around the edges of foliage now.

It's AToC, just how it is I guess.

I might be mistaken, but I think the death animation might has been sped up, which now looks realistic instead of the "Ah, you shot me... and I am going to die slowly..." animation.

Can anyone else confirm this?

Sorry I haven't been around as much, been working and other life-related things. Less time for gaming. :P

Anyway, I just tested this versus the last build (78888), and the performance when scoping toward a forest is definitely improved. One issue I am noticing (and maybe this is an old one, it was in the previous beta as well) is that there is this white speckling around the edges of foliage now. I'm thinking maybe it has something to do with this AToC that was added (again, I am sort of behind the times here), but here's a screen of what I'm talking about:

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii140/AFireEternal/arma2oaspeckles.jpg > 100kb

Is this normal? Or is something messed up in my drivers/settings? PC and settings are in sig.

Yes this is normal, due to a limitation of directx 9 when you use AA with alpha transparency.

The only way to avoid this problem is to disable anti-aliansing or Atoc.

The second way will be to upgrade the engine to support directx 10 or 11 which fully support this combination.

Edited by Zipper5

@Maverick - I checked the new one out last night and still get the white specking though mainly on grass in the middle to far distance, and has been for me for all the 78xxx series betas. I tweaked a bit last night and it is AA related at any setting - as soon as I disable AA it goes away. It is not there in the 1.57 I run day to day. I run everything at very high except the two texture settings at high, VD 2000m.

In general, all betas in the 78xxx range have the same fps as the 1.57 stable, but there is a slight increase in stutter - nothing major, but coming from a much smoother 1.57 patch I do notice it.

cjph

really, the new speeds suck. i'm normally pretty willing to give change ago, but the speed of going prone is too much. and watching ai do it it's like they've got pulleys on their guts and they're being pulled to earth not dropping into prone.

this is should not about pvp or any other agenda. right now this is immersion robbing. they are moving like they've been sped up. like robots on speed.

am rolling beta back for the first time in along time as this just doesn't feel right.

bis, please, time a person going into the positions. take a video. see how long it takes. make the anims 'match' a close as gameplay allows.

Slow down stance change animations. Especially prone-to-stand the most.

One final thing, Can I get an official statement on this? :

http://dev-heaven.net/issues/16782 :- having to raise gun after using map

If that is the way the game is supposed to be I guess I'll live with it, but I am convinced it is a bug or an oversight. If BIS intended it to be like this, I'll leave it alone and wont ask again.

Thanks

LOL! Do you hold your map with your third hand IRL?

Assuming aloud that pvp players want instantaneous weapon switching and arcadelike gameplay is strawmanific and disrespectful. It's the realism that makes people want to play pvp in Arma 2 in the first place, but the rather rigid animation system often proves to be an obstacle. I'm fairly sure that if the AI behaved like players do, more people would notice that unnecessarily slow and immobilizing yet uninterruptible animations can be a major cause of unintended death.

Oh please. PvP players are the ones that always complain and ask to make the game even more arcadey hiding behind excuses of "making it realistic"

The recent glaring example was some PvP guy crying about how he wants the map floating on his second monitor while he runs and guns while other PvP guys were proving his point by showing pics of two people holding a map which was comedy gold.

Getting up from the ground in full gear in less than a second is about as realistic as respawning out of thin air which is always there in PvP.

Respawn was the worst thing to ever come to the multiplayer of the series.

If BIS will keep listening to PvP players further in ArmA3 we will be jumping from roofs of 3 storey buildings with our chute open and survive.

Edited by metalcraze

I have weak hardware gf9600 gt 512

full patch1.57 - [20-60fps] :)

beta build 78927 [20-35fps] :mad:

ARMA tested in the editor in the desert

I have weak hardware gf9600 gt 512

full patch1.57 - [20-60fps] :)

beta build 78927 [20-35fps] :mad:

ARMA tested in the editor in the desert

You might want to turn off AToC.

After trying the new anims for 45 minutes earlier today I figured I'd get used to them but it really hasn't turned out to be the case.

>>> The stance changes still seem jarringly quick, not outright awful as they appeared in the RC but still less authentic and I really don't see that there's anything tangible gained in return.

>>> I also think running needs to be slowed down (but then I already thought that before this beta). Sprinting hardly seems any faster and really isn't at all within just a few seconds as you tire.

We need a petition to put back the old speed of animations but instead get a way to break part way through animations!

Oh please. PvP players are the ones that always complain and ask to make the game even more arcadey hiding behind excuses of "making it realistic"

Mods like ACE2 exist for those who want the most realistic experience the engine can give them. Arma 2 is realistic, but it's still a game, and the key to such a formula is a balance of "arcade" and realism. Too much "arcade" and you think you're playing Call of Duty, too much realism and it stops being fun for many. For example, I love Arma 2, and I'm not a huge fan of VBS2. Better animations is not going to make the game "arcadey".

Getting up from the ground in full gear in less than a second is about as realistic as respawning out of thin air which is always there in PvP.

It's also always there in the large coops that are exclusively played nowadays.

Respawn was the worst thing to ever come to the multiplayer of the series.

You realize it was there when OFP launched, yes?

If BIS will keep listening to PvP players further in ArmA3 we will be jumping from roofs of 3 storey buildings with our chute open and survive.

And if they keep listening to people such as yourself it'll stop being fun for many, including myself. It's not so black and white, you see. ;)

Been messing around with the changes made in the last two betas and I'm very happy with the current animations, plus I'm extremely grateful for the removal of the performance drop when zooming in. Thanks BIS! But what are the sneaky changes bxbx mentioned earlier? :eek:

Edited by Zipper5

why is everyone treating pvp playing as something special :confused:

i think most arma-players (like me) do play both ways 50/50 and i see NO reason why the "pvp players" should want to have faster animations than the pvai players!?

no matter if i play versus AI or other players - arma is about situational awareness, tactics, teamplay and intelligent movement - not about keyboard/mouse pro-gamer skills in the first place.

if you use good tactics within a intelligent team, there is no need to do all animations 2x as fast, for my taste it can influence teamplay negatively because it gets harder to stick2gether when every teammates has quake 3 movement.

the ability to abort animations is the way to go, but unfortunately not possible?

talking about controls, iam very annoyed by these issues:

http://dev-heaven.net/issues/18075

http://dev-heaven.net/issues/18118

Edited by PeterBitt

Im baffled, when did the patches topics become an arguement between "THEM" and "US". PVP vs CooP this is supposed to be about improving the game for everyone so stop the childish to and fro and concentrate on the topic.

PLEASE.

Bring back animation speed from 1.57. Now no difference in speed between run and sprint. Unit can waving a grenade launcher as a wand. Wtf?

Yep, going to roll this one back to 78818, and hope that BIS does too (at least as far as animation speeds are concerned).

These changed animation speeds seem to be a solution in search of a problem. Of all the things people complain about in this game, animation speeds have never been high up the list. As many others have stated, it's not the animation speeds that are the real problem, it's that they are not interruptable.

One of the great appeals of Arma2 to me is the fact that when playing I feel like my character actually plausibly interacts with the world. I'm not simply a gun on a stick floating around the world unaffected by the laws of physics. So for me, the stance transitions and shoulder launch transitions are just incredibly immersion breaking since they seem to leave gravity out of the equation.

I'm not weighing into the PVP vs other game modes debate. For me it just boils down to using the largely plausible core player dynamics, and building whatever realistic/unrealistic but ultimately enjoyable game experience you prefer around it. Now I and probably many of us here could certainly script a horrendously realistic and probably unenjoyable game experience involving repairing trucks/interminable briefings/repetitive training/4 hour marches/emptying latrines etc etc etc, but I'll certainly have more trouble scripting back in gravity.

Given that there are already mods that speed up animations to implausible levels for people that require them for their preferred gaming experience, why bother incorporating such behaviour into the engine itself? I just hope the same guys that write these mods come to our rescue with the inverse versions that slow things down to less than Benny Hill speeds.

bis, please, time a person going into the positions. take a video. see how long it takes. make the anims 'match' a close as gameplay allows.

sounds plausible :j:

Assuming aloud that pvp players want instantaneous weapon switching and arcadelike gameplay is strawmanific and disrespectful. It's the realism that makes people want to play pvp in Arma 2 in the first place, but the rather rigid animation system often proves to be an obstacle. I'm fairly sure that if the AI behaved like players do, more people would notice that unnecessarily slow and immobilizing yet uninterruptible animations can be a major cause of unintended death.

In support of this.

Last time I played a PvP mission we were slightly less than 20 people on each team. Finland vs Norway. 45minute playtime. no respawn. Three objectives. Two Mi8s, two T34s and a BRDM2 constituted the total amount of heavy equipment on the map. Asymmetric resource distribution. Tension? Oh yes. Arcade? Oh no.

The notion that PvP must be run and gun is ridiculous.

-k

Actually instead of timing a fresh soldier doing these animations get one that is absolutely knackered and see how long they take :)

Please roll these back. I don't see who BIS are listening to that they made these changes, as almost everyone is saying they are/were unnecessary.

OA 1.58 RC + 78927:

== Binocular use

binoc-stand (2.25M)

U28_DZjeGUo&loop=1

binoc-crouch (1.78M)

gCXSCn7KuJg&loop=1

binoc-laydown (2.44M)

gsagnhlV0pM&loop=1

== Rifle reload

reload-stand (1.31M)

S7hCxA48Ddc&loop=1

== Rifle to AT switching