Sign in to follow this  
Dwarden

ARMA 2: OA beta build 77777

using no AI scripts I have found the new AI to be really good - even had a pair of AI taking cover in a house.

on the flip side, i sometimes end up sending my AI into a house by mistake even though the little 'l' shape is pointing outside the house. Making the cursor a little bigger would make it easier to see.

must say it really is awesome sending AI to specific cover while moving up. its added a new enjoyment to the game. taking this great system and refining it to make it more user friendly (bigger, able to choose move to or take cover at, able to work for more than 1 AI at a time, etc)

one small bug is the enemy AI taking cover behind wells, but they think it is a wall so they stand behind it. i can see em clear as day but they think they're hidden.

also would like to see more reactions to being fired on (or an AI being killed close nearby)

I do agree with making the "L" cursor 1 pixel wider. It's too small currently and will easily confused for grass. with this beta the AI stay less in prone position and would rather go on crouching behind a cover.

I do wish the next beta patch will address the response time for AI when enemy are within 100 meters or so. As currently you can walk around for at least 5-10 seconds before the enemy will realize you are there. If the response time is around 2-3 sec. That will be wonderful...

For those who got problems with AToC, whether its dots or weird trees, please state the settings.

If I go for trees+grass, let's say AToC=7; it sucks out all of the graphics memory. Least it's visually similar to the notorious 'out of memory'. However, with AToC=4; it's all fine and I don't notice much of a FPS decrease. The dots are there, at some degree, but unless I'm actually looking for it it's not noticable.

Edited by colossus
Sorry, I ment AToC=4 (Old trees)

I do agree with making the "L" cursor 1 pixel wider. It's too small currently and will easily confused for grass. with this beta the AI stay less in prone position and would rather go on crouching behind a cover.

I do wish the next beta patch will address the response time for AI when enemy are within 100 meters or so. As currently you can walk around for at least 5-10 seconds before the enemy will realize you are there. If the response time is around 2-3 sec. That will be wonderful...

Agreed.

Noticed AI enemies being caught up fighting someone else didnt pay attention to me although i came up behind them with a vehicle with mounted 50cal. They get a bit too caught up with the target they are fighting. My engine was running as i stood aiming at them from about 15m behind them. Took them out after about 10-15sec and they never turned around. Not even when i started spraying them one by one.

The "L" cursor a bit thicker and its perfect. I have several times so far sent units to the wrong side of cover, walls and buildings and got them killed as the "L" looked good to me but was in fact not very good. :D

AI.... thats all that I hear.... maybe BI should spend more time on stuff OTHER THAN COOP RELATED ie. AI crap.

Maybe there would be a much larger, healthier community if this game was as focused on PvP as it is coop.

Maybe there would be a much larger, healthier community if this game was as focused on PvP as it is coop.

Doubt it. Strict PvP (with no AI) would be underutilizing ArmA 2's capabilities. Besides, AI can enhance PvP too.

For those who got problems with AToC, whether its dots or weird trees, please state the settings.

AToC=5 for me, it reduced dottage a bit and still good FPS.. will heed your advice and see how =3 runs

Doubt it. Strict PvP (with no AI) would be underutilizing ArmA 2's capabilities. Besides, AI can enhance PvP too.

I 2nd that. PvP warfare matches with AI are some of my favorite FPS/Simulation games i've ever had. Despite all the warping and bugs it can have.

Dom/coop is ok but warfare is why ARMA kills competition for me! Anything done for warfare/pvp multiplayer is greatly appreciated in my books :cool:

AI.... thats all that I hear.... maybe BI should spend more time on stuff OTHER THAN COOP RELATED ie. AI crap.

I agree you that they should also fix more real bugs and not look like they spend 90% of bugfixing time with tweaking AI, since there are always people who disagree how AI should behave, but who can disagree fixing a crash, visual anomalties, warfare functions, world bugs, weapon model glitches or double animation for grenade throwing and so on.

I also disagree you on something. I think you misused the term COOP here. I consider real COOP anything where 2 or more humans oppose enemy AI without friendly AI support. So in fact them tweaking AI is more of considered SP (single player) tweaking. When we (me and others belonging to same cooperative gaming society) play real COOP we always disable AI otherwise you will respawn as one when you are dead.

I've been computer gaming since 1984 and you know what...I'm tired of PvP and all the cheating and emotions in there. There is already enough fighting and competition in the world between humans. To me cooperative gaming is much more relaxing. It is not who has the best latency, best reflexes, widest resolution or about worrying if your opponent is cheating or glitching. There seemst to be elderly players like me who have had their share of PvP and got tired of never ending story in that. "Healthier community"...? For what I have seen PvP is one of the main reasons why there are so much tension between players.

I and bunch of my friends bought this game for COOP only and nothing else. What I would like to see more than AI tweaks or PvP tweaks, I would like to get more fixes to game stability, gameplay, world bugs and features related original COOP missions and for campaigns played cooperatively in multiplayer. There are still a bunch of irritating bugs in campaign that only show up when you play original campaigns like Harvest Red cooperatively with someone else.

What comes to be beeing bigger, there has been discussion about this so many times and I think this game will never be mainstream. Mainstream game would need really big worldwide advertising, simple controls and better optimization for less powerful hardware (since not all the people have high end hardware). If you aske me there are too many games that offer more for PvP lovers, such as better stability, features like ingame player statistics or highly polished warping free multiplayer protocol. I this point of view can't see this game beeing one of the top PvP games ever, but ofcourse it is also very versatile and most of the people who like war simulator games like Arma2 series too.

Sorry for the rant, but can't pass without giving another opinion.

Edited by Hanzu

+1 for AI, and in generally all the gameplay related issues. I definitely prefer AI and stability over eyecandy and FPS

IMO BI is addressing enough different areas for everyone to be happy.

AFAIK graphical stuff has been left alone for quite some time.

Just can't expect them to always address exactly what you are after, or directly when you would want it.

Keep voting tickets at dev-heaven you like, as Suma uses that generally to find out what the community would like to see most (but even that is just for reference!).

Read the changelogs and you will see that BIS are fixing alot, not only AI. Earlier they focused on getting this game more stable and increasing FPS. At the same time they did some AI tweaks. Right now they focus on AI and thats why you see so much discussion about it as they need user input. They are still fixing other stuff.

I guess "obvious bugs" that goes to models and textures will make the beta's big and give no real feedback to them, so I guess our hope for fixes like that will come in the official patch?

:O Wow you lot are great.

You really should be proud of your selfs this kind o customer relation has NEVER been seen in the games industry EVER.

+1 :):yay::eek:

using no AI scripts I have found the new AI to be really good - even had a pair of AI taking cover in a house.

on the flip side, i sometimes end up sending my AI into a house by mistake even though the little 'l' shape is pointing outside the house. Making the cursor a little bigger would make it easier to see.

must say it really is awesome sending AI to specific cover while moving up. its added a new enjoyment to the game. taking this great system and refining it to make it more user friendly (bigger, able to choose move to or take cover at, able to work for more than 1 AI at a time, etc)

one small bug is the enemy AI taking cover behind wells, but they think it is a wall so they stand behind it. i can see em clear as day but they think they're hidden.

also would like to see more reactions to being fired on (or an AI being killed close nearby)

Yes AI takes cover into houses, albeit much rarely.

I noticed too the "well" cover bug, also units still consider wire fences as "solid" cover, hence being shot in the back.

I agree AI should better react to environmental events ( close bullets flying by, nearby killed or wounded units), AI wise that's probably the #1 feature that needs to be improved now (imho).

Game crashes sometimes when I put AI soldiers in to static defenses. My friend also had this.

Game crashes sometimes when I put AI soldiers in to static defenses. My friend also had this.

More info on this please. I want to try it out.

I agree AI should better react to environmental events ( close bullets flying by, nearby killed or wounded units), AI wise that's probably the #1 feature that needs to be improved now (imho).

+1.

Personally I would vote "react to imminent threat" as top priority. That being, an enemy with 5-30ft that is within the AI's cone of vision (not hearing) should prompt immediate action.

Something i also notice very often is the unawareness of my gunners in vehicles. Especially in hmmwv'es and similar land vehicles. When there is incoming fire i hear bullet cracks and the actual weapon behind me but my gunner doesnt turn around. He keeps looking forward. unaware of whats going on. There can be a lot of cracks, whizzes, impacts around the car and gun fire heard but the gunner doesnt hear that for some reason.

Since ARMA AI has hearing im guessing there's something with the vehicle that blocks it (although they are in fact "outside"), but if they exited the vehicle and bullets passed them they would react instantly. Maybe its hard to program this bit to fit with the rest of the behavour and not break something else.

Two pics of AtOC on my pc. Tested all AA from low to vhigh and it looks the same:

Image1

Image2

Bit too "dotty" for my taste. It's ok when you don't look at it. In fact it looks "fuller" with it. But very often you do look at the vegetation when enemies is around. Also when a bush etc is further away it is completelly "dotty".

I also have that heavy "dotty" effect with HD6870, in case if it depends on graphics card. But still I play AA off, because the fps drop is just too massive. Just reporting.

I, too, am getting CTD with both this beta and the previous one (77750). Admittedly it's with addons, but the same mission ran with out issues before these two betas. Just offering as a FYI. Here's the .rpt:

I know there's a new patch out (haven't read the thread yet), but just another data point...

I rolled back to 77159 last night and all was well again. No CTDs.

More info on this please. I want to try it out.

Select an AI, then just aim at a static defense and when you see the get in order the game crashes.

Select an AI, then just aim at a static defense and when you see the get in order the game crashes.

Does this happen in the newer beta as well? If yes, I will try this tomorrow.

Does this happen in the newer beta as well? If yes, I will try this tomorrow.

nah, it doesn't happen in the newest one.