Sign in to follow this  
=kct=blackmamba

ARMA 2: OA Beta 72716 is up

+ Game feels smoother

- Had a crash while playing warfare, something that never really happens with just 1.52

I'm split. I agree it's not so overpowered, but I'm forced on using black hot as I'm left totally blind with white hot. Might be a gamma/monitor issue.

I think BIS have to find a compromise between the old FLIR and the new one. That would be ideal.

I think BIS have to find a compromise between the old FLIR and the new one. That would be ideal.

i use 0.9 Brightness, and 0.9 Gama, in game (i do switch them around, but always under 1.0) Flir is great.. Oh and my Display/monitor is also set for lower B and G

Don't real thermal monitors have adjustments for contrast and brightness? Can't we get on some of that with key bindings? I noticed using the m107 TWS was downright impossible with the new setup. I could barely make anything out on screen and once again I can't see where my shots land if I miss in order to get a new solution which had been remedied in a previous release. Can anyone who has actually(for reals) sniped with a thermal system confirm that you can see dust or smoke kicking up through those optics?

could someone from BI confirm that exThreads=7 is still applicable in OA, i haven't been using it thinking it was only for arma2.

I'm split. I agree it's not so overpowered, but I'm forced on using black hot as I'm left totally blind with white hot. Might be a gamma/monitor issue.

I can't use the WHOT for the same reasons. And I don't think it is a monitor issue seeing as I'm currently using an NEC MultiSync PA241W P-IPS (£900+ screen) that is great for.. everything :p

I think the big issue here is that the contrast from the environment is not good on the thermals since only objects emitting heat have a proper signature. In reality you can distinguish objects quite nicely on thermals due to their differing natural thermal properties.

For now I'm using BHOT but I would like to go back to WHOT if possible.

I was having Out of Memory and CTD problems. I was instructed by BI in another thread to install the latest beta build which was ARMA2_OA_Build_72716. This fixed the Memory and CTD problem but now I am having a problem with the game freezing for about one second every 3 or 4 seconds. It will run for about 3 or 4 seconds and then just freeze for about 1 second over and over. Any ideas?

Game installed --->ARMA II OA - CO

Using scopes and NVGs still works for the old ArmA II Weapons with OA.

Something for BIS to fix, eh?

Actually OA does next-to-nothing to improve AA2 content, mostly breaking it instead (no damage textures on some AA2 vehicles, totally broken civ dialogues, no voiced dialogues for CAS/artillery support etc)

Edited by metalcraze

Something for BIS to fix, eh?

hmmm, it doesn't make sense! how can you look down the scope when you have NV on? any army personnel can confirm this to us? is it doable?

@inFireBabtize

in another thread someone from BIS adviced us,

for multi core operation untill OA is at the same standard as arma2 patch 1.7,

we should use the -cpucount=4 and exThread=7 command.

hmmm, it doesn't make sense! how can you look down the scope when you have NV on? any army personnel can confirm this to us? is it doable?

heeeell no! scopes are a pain in the ass as it is. now add on a 3-6 inch tube over your face that has a very restrictive field of view.

it is very difficult to use NV even with illuminated reflex sites (have to do some crazy neck moves or have the rifle planted on your chin/center chest), and impossible with irons

@ =KCT=BlackMamba

Thank you, i will use it, in arma2 the exThread=7 made a good improvement despite the fact i have dual core not quad core.

@ That guy

My thoughts exactly, the weapon scope itself needs to be equipped with nv capability. Please BI leave this alone. We already have players online abusing weapons with thermal scope to hunt us down with no efforts.

I've meant that they need to make using NVG+optics impossible in AA2 as well.

Because when using all those M16s with ACOG/SMAW in CO it's almost like cheating compared to new weapons, let alone unrealistic

I thought this cpucount=? maxmem=? was not used since last official patch.

I thought that patch 1.52 was it? was meant to bring it up to ARMA2 1.07?.

If not then that's good as 1.52 runs crap compared to ARMA2 1.07.

@metalcraze: Unfortunately the only real option is to completely avoid the old weapons. Remove them from the game mode and don't look back. It's really a shame, as we no longer have "families of weapons" to choose from, but are restricted to Mk16/Mk17 family completely. So "upgrading A2 content to OA standards" involves a lot more work than simply adding TI to the T90...

@inFireBabtize

u should use the command -cpucount=2 and i believe exThreads=3 is best for dual cores.

I used 7 last night and worked perfectly, i will try 3 tonight. Thanks.

Sadly (given the responses I'd been looking forward to trying it) I must be one the few (only?) people to suffer a very obvious framerate hit with this beta, am reverting to the previous. AMD Dual-Core, XP x64, 4GB -exthreads=3.

So am I right in thinking that all the neat little performance changes that was in ARMA2 1.07 are still not in any beta yet?.

@inFireBabtize

u should use the command -cpucount=2 and i believe exThreads=3 is best for dual cores.

as per wiki, dual core can handle up to 4 threads. so exThreads=7 should be just fine. I have never had an issue running 7 on my dual core CPU.

So am I right in thinking that all the neat little performance changes that was in ARMA2 1.07 are still not in any beta yet?.

They've been in as of several builds ago.

Shame as I didn't get the performance boost I did in ARMA2 1.07 :(.

And yes yes OA has more features that tax the system more but still :P

posting

1. i got crash ...

2. i got crash + some output from rpt ...

is not helping with the fix of the crash at all :( (in 99.99% cases)

please follow instructions here how post reports on CIT

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=102991

or send the compressed crashdumps (arma2oa.mdmp,arma2oa.bidmp,arma2oa.rpt)

to my email (my nickname @bistudio.com) + [CRASH] in subject

then it will be fixed if possible to analyze

Im getting great performance from this patch + exthreads 3 on my dual core machine, but its extremely buggy, what is the latest patch with the "move there" ai command still operational?