Sign in to follow this  
craig.turner

Project Reality - WIP Discussion

Who cares about Project Reality. I prefer mods that actually deliver new content, like the CLSA or RACS mod, and not only a few reskins or subvariants of vehicles that are already ingame.

If Project Reality would have kept quiet until their release, and just said "look this is what we have, maybe youll like it, maybe you dont" all would have been well.

But this incredible amount of talk, about "saving ArmA" about delivering "a new level of gameplay", without having really anything to SHOW, except three screenshots of vehicles already ingame....Sorry but again: Who cares?

reskins? i havnt seen mastiffs or panthers in arma2...so are they still reksins? they arent even "subvariants".

also, where did they say they will "save arma"? ..nowhere!

rather then flaming them why dont you go and make a mod and see how it feels when we say "who cares abotu this" and "your addons/mod is crap"

what PR is doing is an amazing job, i really appreciate the work that has gone into this. if you dont, you dont. but at least have some respect for the people who take hours out of their lives so others can enjoy their work!

Initial Release will be BIS Takistani as a placeholder, we may have some extra bits for them though.

UK_Force;1835911']Initial Release will be BIS Takistani as a placeholder' date=' we may have some extra bits for them though.[/quote']

Thanks. :D

Lets draw a line here yet again, because it seems to be the same old haters jumping up and down on stuff they already know the answer too.........

PR is a standalone mod, its core will not be used by anyone else, and as such it is for MP only. WHEN you get to load up PR it recommends you do NOT USE IT for SP as it will break things. That is how it was made. There will be no pulling apart of the mod to use it customised online, or adding in content that the PR Devs did not put there themselves. I really hope this clarifies stuff.

As such protection will be there to ensure that you play it the correct way

OFP, Armed Assault and ArmA2 have never been about limiting options, but rather of enabling mission makers to create their own wide range of possible scenarios in either MP or SP. That's why it would be interesting for instance to know if PR will hide all standard BIS content in the mission editor, so only PR content is shown since PR team might reason that the BIS content is not compatible with their own for the type of gameplay that PR aims for. I have read many times that PR will not use other community standards, but there is one standard that the whole community shares simply because of the platform, and that is the standard BIS content. Hiding that content would limit the options for mission makers to make additional, more diverse scenarios for PR, whether in MP or SP. There is no "pulling apart" involved in creating additional missions for ArmA2/OA mods.

Not that I'm expecting a serious reaction to this from "fans", considering everyone that does not act like a fanboy gets called a hater when asking questions that are not similar to "When will it be released?".

Can someone please tell me where I have said we will be hiding all BIS Content ??

I don't believe I have said this at all, and why would we anyway ?

again "Speculation" and "Jungle Drums"

:D

UK_Force;1835928']Can someone please tell me where I have said we will be hiding all BIS Content ??

I don't believe I have said this at all' date=' and why would we anyway ?

again "Speculation" and "Jungle Drums"

:D[/quote']

"it would be interesting for instance to know if"

Please don't make your frustration with how some people are apparently treating PR affect your ability to distinguish question from speculation. The highlighted part is one of the most commonly used forms of asking a question in the English language ;)

Indeed JdB but there is no reason to assume it was directed soley at you.

I am not only referring to your post, it has in fact been mentioned a lot of times on here recently, so my post was to summarise the posts that have indeed "speculated" that we will be hiding BIS Assets, your post just happened to touch on that whole thought process once more.

Uk Force,

Any idea of player count at this stage?

Are you still looking at a pure PvP sitaution, or will AI be used for mundane tasks?

Looking forward to it!

thanks,

Uk Force,

Any idea of player count at this stage?

Are you still looking at a pure PvP sitaution, or will AI be used for mundane tasks?

Looking forward to it!

thanks,

We are not planning on using any AI at all for the forseeable future.

As for Player Count, hard to say at present, we still need to go into full beta testing yet, thats when we will have an idea.

So all attempts in making non-resource-heavy AI ambient civilians didn't go well? That's unfortunate, but I suppose not nearly as important as actually getting something out that actually works and works well.

In any case, what you could probably expect (yes, speculation, but a reasonable one, and correct me if it's wrong please), is that if they are going to for example change the command interface to something more suitable for commanding players, then most likely it won't really work with AI and therefore commanding AI in single player may or may not work very well. I think those are the kinds of stuff they mean by "no support for single player". As in, they will probably not bother adjusting their features that are supposed to enhance pure PvP play to also work in single player or in COOP with AI. Also I bet the AI won't be made to be able to use the bridge layer - again pointless effort for a mod that is meant for pure PVP.

As for gameplay, don't mistake my post as being doubtful, but more as a "this is what you've shown people so this is what they talk about". And talking about Arma 2 gameplay doesn't really do all that much - I've seen so much talk about various missions that never really got played anywhere or even finished making, and it's so different from actually playing said missions. Especially in games, and even moreso in games that are supposed to be played against players, talking doesn't go very far.

The micro terrain, though, is one of the things I'm looking forward to the most in PR. I've been waiting for quite a long time for someone to try make something like that and to see it in action, and if pulled off I think it can greatly improve the game on all aspects, and who knows, maybe other island makers will follow.

Edited by galzohar

If i understand correctly, "micro-terrain" refers to a map with a very small cell size (1m for example) that allows for a high degree of terrain detail, like potholes, ditches etc, that are ideal to be used as cover for example in infantry combat.

Does this increased map detail have a big impact on performance and what about the bigger maps, where such a cell size result in pretty heavy heightmaps?

I think the cell size for Proving Grounds is pretty small and that certainly kills my performance.

I think the cell size for Proving Grounds is pretty small and that certainly kills my performance.

It is very conceivable that you have the worst computer in the arma community.

Im still astounded to how you manage to play A2OA:CO without getting annoyed.

PR devs, i know you have beta testers already, but if you wanted to test how your mod works on greatly configured but no so great in hardware, Use hellfire!

PR devs, i know you have beta testers already, but if you wanted to test how your mod works on greatly configured but no so great in hardware, Use hellfire!

LOL kind offer indeed! :)

It appears to be exceptionally hard to say anything in this thread without annoying some sensitive soul who appears to be the centre of knowledge and all things wonderful.

I very much hope those who play arma and wish to play in a PvP environment with no AI will embrace this mod, and give it a fair crack. I can't wait to try it with 99 odd other humans.. with no bloody AI dicking about :bounce3:

Bring it on.

Well thats the joy of a forum, Its there to air opinions and offer advice, Whilst also revelling in the attention and ignoring said advice (Not aimed at anyone, So dont)

I know most of the Arma old boys arent so keen on PR because it will bring battlefield fanbase to the game, Which is only going to be a problem when they all register here and say.. Well BF does this, why cant arma blah blah blah.

As for PVP i do try to play it with my clan and any other clan that can muster the people, but PR is really going to revolutionise this area of the game.

So much looking forward to it.

I know most of the Arma old boys arent so keen on PR because it will bring battlefield fanbase to the game, Which is only going to be a problem when they all register here and say.. Well BF does this, why cant arma blah blah blah.

PR for BF2 is much closer to Arma than it is to the vanilla BF2. I really don't think anyone has to worry about an influx of players requesting bunny hopping.

PR for BF2 is much closer to Arma than it is to the vanilla BF2. I really don't think anyone has to worry about an influx of players requesting bunny hopping.

I guess my request for low gravity jumping from AA2.6/8 is well out of the question then :-(

All that jumping gets me to.. manteling. Should be great to have some mantling in project reality instead of the simple step over. Is their any feature ticket on devheaven on this subject in the regular arma2?

If i understand correctly, "micro-terrain" refers to a map with a very small cell size (1m for example) that allows for a high degree of terrain detail, like potholes, ditches etc, that are ideal to be used as cover for example in infantry combat.

Does this increased map detail have a big impact on performance and what about the bigger maps, where such a cell size result in pretty heavy heightmaps?

It does have an impact, because there is more terrain to render with a smaller cell size, even if the map is very small. There is more terrain closer to you, and although the object count might be much less, it has a similar effect to rendering normal sized islands at much larger view distances.

All that jumping gets me to.. manteling. Should be great to have some mantling in project reality instead of the simple step over. Is their any feature ticket on devheaven on this subject in the regular arma2?

Afaik, DevHeaven doesnt support PR, so putting a ticket up there may be useless.

Manteling would require physical interaction between the soldier and the object he is climbing onto/over. This is something the RV engine does not do well.

If any are interested in asking questions to the Developers (as and when they are on that is) I have just announced this on our site :

realitystudios Public TS3.

This has been designed to allow you the community to talk with the Developers of all of our projects, if they are around.

All Developers will wear Tags in here so you can distinguish them, should you want to chat or ask them a question. If they get too scared they may rush off into the Dev rooms though ...lol.

It is also a "central" point for the team to come together from all the Projects, should we need to anytime.

This has not been designed for people to use "ingame", and if you do - beaware you will be kicked, however it is a place where you can hang out and chat with others.

This will NOT replace Mumble at all, neither will it replace our other Comms systems we use for development work.

We even have a PR - TS3 Skin for you, if you want to vamp up your TS.

PR TS3 Skin

Capture-5.png

Details here:

ts3.alpha-networks.co.uk

Port - 10010

TS Gadget available here:

TS3 Gadget

Once you have installed that, go to settings - Page 2

Select "Use TS Viewer"

Enter Viewer ID:

Edited by Craig.Turner

Afaik, DevHeaven doesnt support PR, so putting a ticket up there may be useless.

i know pr doesn't use devheaven if you read my post you see if im asking if their is any feature request on the regular arma2 devheaven

Manteling would require physical interaction between the soldier and the object he is climbing onto/over. This is something the RV engine does not do well.

Your saying the rv engine doesnt handle it well.. so i assume their is done some research about it :rolleyes:. But doesn't stepping over require physical interaction between the soldier and the object?

Stepping over can be done in the air on an empty, open, field, kind of looks like a victory jump then. But if you want to climb oversomething you actually have to grab it. In otherwords, Stepping over doesn't require you to grab anything, manteling does...?

It is very conceivable that you have the worst computer in the arma community.

Im still astounded to how you manage to play A2OA:CO without getting annoyed.

I'd like to second that. HD3870? I think so! Manage to get her to run on Normal settings with 3K VD.

Edited by Hellfire257