Sign in to follow this  
craig.turner

Project Reality - WIP Discussion

I totaly agree with the fact that mods are way to difficult to install.. I have no problems using six updater what so ever.. but I lost the count how many people I had to help getting them started with six updater. What people want is just a simple installer which gives them a shortcut on there desktop and when they double click they run the mod. No messing around with parameters or arma2 launcers.

But you can't just blame the mods.. arma2 isn't made user friendly aswell. The menus etc. Im glad project reality is having a look at those. I hope they also change the way joining a server is working atm. Why do we have to look at 23234 different loading bars.. First you have to wait for host.. then ur in a totaly useless lobby.. get rit of that. Just load the map and let a player choose the side and classes ingame like it is on more user friendly games..

Look, if you don't want to play with people that you believe will be "ignorant" and etc. Then don't play?

If you would show some respect, however, you could at least bother to download this mod when it gets released. Then, once you've downloaded it, test it! If the servers are full of ignorant people, fine, if they aren't and you enjoy the mod, yay!

It's really that simple, like it- play it, don't like it- don't play it.

The only complicated thing is if you like the actual mod, and don't like most of the people playing it. But you shouldn't worry about that, because in the end you'll probably find a server to your liking! (or you'll become "ignorant" your self)

The "ignorant" people will stay on the mod that they like, while you wont... And they wont destroy your good 'ol community because they're to busy creating their own, so why even bother bringing them up in this discussion?

Now there is a certain word that sort of describes you GossamerSolid, lets see if you can find out which word it is, you've used it quite often.

Lets stop this forum war, arguing on the internet is probably one of the hardest and complicated things to do...

Edited by Twonk_Strilo

Look, if you don't want to play with people that you believe will be "ignorant" and etc. Then don't play?

If you would show some respect, however, you could at least bother to download this mod when it gets released. Then, once you've downloaded it, test it! If the servers are full of ignorant people, fine, if they aren't and you enjoy the mod, yay!

It's really that simple, like it- play it, don't like it- don't play it.

Now lets stop this forum war, arguing on the internet is probably one of the hardest and complicated things to do...

Or I can play with people that have an IQ above 50, which I tend to.

I'm not saying to PR to not make an installer as I'm not going to tell them what to do as that's none of my business, it's their mod. They can do what they want.

I'm just saying people should take a whole 10 minutes to figure out how to install mods.

And I'll repeat it again as you must have missed it a whole 2 posts ago, if you want to argue with me, PM me instead as we are disrupting this topic.

Great! :)

Now lets stop this forum war, arguing on the internet is probably one of the hardest and complicated things to do... was meant to be directed to everyone, not just you!

(edited the post after you quoted, seems like we've got the same opinions in the end)

Myke;1846960']You' date=' Sir, reminded me why i do not play on public servers...to avoid meetin people like you. Would you mind to move your fanboy attitude elsewhere? So people could get back on topic.

And to the rest: don't feed the troll.[/quote']

Really? I never met people I didn't like THAT often on public servers...

I totaly agree with the fact that mods are way to difficult to install.. I have no problems using six updater what so ever.. but I lost the count how many people I had to help getting them started with six updater. What people want is just a simple installer which gives them a shortcut on there desktop and when they double click they run the mod. No messing around with parameters or arma2 launcers.

But you can't just blame the mods.. arma2 isn't made user friendly aswell. The menus etc. Im glad project reality is having a look at those. I hope they also change the way joining a server is working atm. Why do we have to look at 23234 different loading bars.. First you have to wait for host.. then ur in a totaly useless lobby.. get rit of that. Just load the map and let a player choose the side and classes ingame like it is on more user friendly games..

Mate installing mods is no different then a lot of games. rfactor for example is exactly same as this game, i.e you have to manually install the mods yourself in the appropriate directory.

seriously its VERY easy to install mods on arma 2 IMO and i like it the way it is as i can manually enable and disable individual mods myself without a helping hand.

i guess i grew up with trying to do stuff the manual way and one of reasons why i am about to build and use a linux system with a command prompt as its UI as i like to be "in control" myself on my servers.

Mate installing mods is no different then a lot of games. rfactor for example is exactly same as this game, i.e you have to manually install the mods yourself in the appropriate directory.

seriously its VERY easy to install mods on arma 2 IMO and i like it the way it is as i can manually enable and disable individual mods myself without a helping hand.

i guess i grew up with trying to do stuff the manual way and one of reasons why i am about to build and use a linux system with a command prompt as its UI as i like to be "in control" myself on my servers.

For you and me installing a mod into arma2, rfactor or any other game may be easy but for the majority it isn't. Besides I can't really call rfactor a common game. Rfactor probably has the most shity mod management of all. No decent distribution you have to download your cars and tracks from Megaupload or any other free upload website. Their are like 500 version of the same track and every server has a different track. if your really unlucky the server is using a custom track and custom cars when that occurs your really screwed.

The point is this generation doesn't want to read a manual in how to install a game. They want to discover their self and if they can't seem to get it work they go play another game. Asks a regular youngster if he ever read the manual of his cellphone or any other electronic device.

@Linux I'm very happy for you that your going to use Linux but that doesn't really impress me I have to work with Linux for my profession. And if you ask me it should stay there. Windows sometimes sucks but you are at least able to play games on it decently without having to run windows emulators and crappy drivers. At the end every one switches back to windows for gaming and why? BECAUSE IT'S EASY!

I gave up on trying to play rFactor with mods because there was no 'total package' or an auto-installer for them all. I know how to install mods manually for rFactor and ArmA2, but I'm not about to install hundreds of them by hand/install or uninstall new and old ones by hand every day if I want to play with other people.

YAS/Six updater is better, but still pointlessly user unfriendly.

The point is this generation doesn't want to read a manual in how to install a game. They want to discover their self and if they can't seem to get it work they go play another game. Asks a regular youngster if he ever read the manual of his cellphone or any other electronic device.

Mate I fully undersand what you're saying here :) and the onus on transparent useage is on the developer. Anyone ever read an iPhone manual? Nope because you don't need one, you somehow already know how it works and that's the genius of good design.

When operating most electronic devices, you're struggling against the engineer who designed the UI, but when the UI is designed by a designer, you get transparent useage.

It'd be nice to have such a transparent mod ability in ArmA2, but I don't know what form that would take, it needs a seriously good UI designer to do that, and they're few & far between. Oh, everyone has an opinion on what would work, but good design is something above that :)

@Linux I'm very happy for you that your going to use Linux but that doesn't really impress me I have to work with Linux for my profession. And if you ask me it should stay there. Windows sometimes sucks but you are at least able to play games on it decently without having to run windows emulators and crappy drivers. At the end every one switches back to windows for gaming and why? BECAUSE IT'S EASY!

No. Installing apps on Linux is usually more easier than in Windows, if this apps are compiled for Linux. But most apps/games are no Linux apps, so that's why you cannot use Linux for serious gaming.

And I haven't switched back to Windows yet, but I use it as a gaming machine.

I gave up on trying to play rFactor with mods because there was no 'total package' or an auto-installer for them all. I know how to install mods manually for rFactor and ArmA2, but I'm not about to install hundreds of them by hand/install or uninstall new and old ones by hand every day if I want to play with other people.

This depends on the server where you want to drive. On www.bockbierbude.de you can find an "autoupdater" which downloads and updates mods for you.

This depends on the server where you want to drive. On www.bockbierbude.de you can find an "autoupdater" which downloads and updates mods for you.

It's great that community members make autoupdaters and try to make the mod installation proces more easier. As it is now in arma2. But if no one told you there is an autoupdater for the mod you wouldn't knew.

And thats where the regular game should kick in. They could for example with probably not to much effort at least create better a better message when a player tries to connect without a mod. I believe in arma2 now it's something like "You can not play/edit this mission without downloadable content?". Which in my opinion doesn't really help a newcomer to arma2. And I'm sure everyone knows this message because it pops up every 10 min in the more popular servers. I'm question how many of these players who get this message actually know what it means? You often see the same names trying to reconnect which is in my eyes the evidence they don't know what to do and just think: "Thats wierd can't join this server, probably a bug let's reconnect and see if I can get in now."

Why are their no server information parameters like you have on other games? Unreal, COD etc.. where you have a button called server info and are able to see what settings and parameters the server is running. With out have to connect to the server. Straight out of the server browser.

If there are server info paramters. You could easly create a decent description where a newcomer can find information in how he can get his arma2 or what ever game in proper condition to connect to the server.

For example( You can not play on this server because you are missing "parameter server_mod";. For more information visit "parameter mod_website"; )

Guys, this is not a thread about the difficulty/easiness of installing addons for Arma 2. Could we please try to stay on-topic?

http://dev-heaven.net/issues/16257

Will also help PR if something like this was implemented...

voted ;)

Guys, this is not a thread about the difficulty/easiness of installing addons for Arma 2. Could we please try to stay on-topic?

and your totaly right lets get back to project reality.. but give us something to talk about then :p... aka some new screens or gameplay video :bounce3:

I usually see the manual as "the last way out"... :) Before I google/try to find a manual for something I usually just try to figure it out by my self, using logic! But yeah... that's me, and everyone aint the same.

@Coopr I remember when I was new to ArmA 2... Took me some time to realize that a green circle means that you can join the server, a red circle means that you´re missing addons & a orange circle means that you need a password.

Some time = 1 day or 3.. :p

anyhow, to stay on topic, an easy set up file wont hurt Project Reality, because it's a new ArmA2 community? And I'm pretty sure the majority are going to like it in the end!

EDIT:

@Coopr (again) New vids/photos and/or walls of text are probably beeing made at the moment... For PR:Bf2 they have this chart on the forum...

PRAlerts-1.jpg

I think the same should be done for Pr:ArmA2... Feels like we're at OMG judging by the posts on this thread hehe

Edited by Twonk_Strilo

Or I can play with people that have an IQ above 50, which I tend to.

I'm not saying to PR to not make an installer as I'm not going to tell them what to do as that's none of my business, it's their mod. They can do what they want.

I'm just saying people should take a whole 10 minutes to figure out how to install mods.

And I'll repeat it again as you must have missed it a whole 2 posts ago, if you want to argue with me, PM me instead as we are disrupting this topic.

Really? Instead of just a single mouse press, instead of single wait time, instead of being able to play the game faster, you want to do the opposite? Sorry Gossmer, but your the only guy who would do that. And besides, having ACE way like install or 1 click installer only makes a difference in 1 way. That is, creating more help topics on how to install. There will be people with "below 50 IQ"(as you put it) either way.

Sorry Gossmer, but your the only guy who would do that.

I know dozens, myself included.

OT: Are there any plans for british fixed wing attack aircraft?

OT: Are there any plans for british fixed wing attack aircraft?

There are but not for the first release.

Seems this thread has been busy again ....lol.

To clarify now things have calmed down:

I posted this in August last year as part of a Newsreel ;)

Newsreel Posted 19.08.2010

UK_Force;1419099']Welcome To Part 3 of the PR:ArmA2 Highlights Special week!

- PR: ArmA2 - Install' date=' set up etc[/b']

As we have stated before, we intend to release PR as a complete installer package. One which you can simply install via its own single installer, run with the shortcut provided and instantly join in a Project Reality server, much like the current PR:BF2 system. In this way we can control both client and server files to ensure they match, leaving players with minimal worries about which version they may need. Each release or patch will again be much like PR: BF2 to keep the continuity between the server/client files. We will however provide an additional install package in the form of a compressed file, to manually install, for the users who prefer this method.

A PR:ArmA2 PDF user manual will be provided with every install too, so players can get a better understanding of the dynamic gameplay. This way we can cater for all manner of players, whether you're an ArmA2 veteren or new to the game.

-The Project Reality Team

Source

With that said UK Force, will you have an install option in the package for Steam users?

With that said UK Force, will you have an install option in the package for Steam users?

We hope to yes.

excellent work on the mod so far lads. this has gotta be released by this month or next? cmon lads!!!! :)

If they make a full installer, making it work for steam as well should be a piece of cake. Steam simply requires a slightly different command line to start up the game.

The real difficulty of making an installer that will do everything for you, is that it only allows you to easily create a shortcut that will run the said mod you installed and no other mods. Of course since PR won't use nor be compatible with any other mods, nor will the official servers allow you to log in with any other mods, this shouldn't be a problem for PR, and thus a complete 1-click installer should really be easy to do. This is both an advantage and a disadvantage, though.

UK_Force;1848816']We hope to yes.

I noticed that PR:BF2 is going to be on Desura through a post on the PR forums, what about PR:ArmA2?