Sign in to follow this  
craig.turner

Project Reality - WIP Discussion

I noticed that PR:BF2 is going to be on Desura through a post on the PR forums, what about PR:ArmA2?

I asked a while back about ArmA 2 mods (To one of the leading guys of Desura) and he said it wasn't possible yet. That was during the closed beta though.

I asked a while back about ArmA 2 mods (To one of the leading guys of Desura) and he said it wasn't possible yet. That was during the closed beta though.

Now that you mention it, I seem to remember a post about that.

Anyways...

UK_Force;1544050']Today we bring you a small update' date=' our new Warrior.

With a new member to the PR: ArmA2 DEV Team .... [R-CON']Orson, we now have an updated warrior to add to the British Army Faction.

Over the years the warrior has undergone a lot of updates for its current role, and although this is still WIP you can clearly see the upgrades that have been added ingame too.

pics2.png

pics3.png

arma2oa2011-02-0420-12-25-02.png

More Pictures can be found in our online album here:

PR: ArmA2 Online Album

Recruitment

Project Reality are looking for the following additions to our team, so that we can push towards our release a little quicker:

1. Character Modeller / Texture Artists (Needs to be proficient with this area)

2. Aircraft Modeler

3. TS3 Developer (able to work with the SDK, and create what we require in TS3)

4. FX Configs (Our current one seems to have gone long time AFK on the whole of the internet ??)

Point 1 is our Priority at the moment.

If you know of anyone, or would like to join the team yourself, please do not hesitate to pm me on here so we can discuss it further.

Thank you

UK_Force;1850397']

Recruitment

Project Reality are looking for the following additions to our team' date=' so that we can push towards our release a little quicker:

1. Character Modeller / Texture Artists (Needs to be proficient with this area)

2. Aircraft Modeler

3. TS3 Developer (able to work with the SDK, and create what we require in TS3)

4. FX Configs (Our current one seems to have gone long time AFK on the whole of the internet ??)

Point 1 is our Priority at the moment.

If you know of anyone, or would like to join the team yourself, please do not hesitate to pm me on here so we can discuss it further.

Thank you[/quote']

There comes a time when Id wish id of learned how to model stuff in my youth, Rather than getting a higher than a kite.

Looking forward to any aircraft models you create, And everything else. :-D

I still wonder why PR didn't initially release a pure gameplay+realism mod, with existing units, to actually get the (supposedly) much needed PR gameplay out, and then add the British faction later, just like other factions are planned to be added in the far future. I mean at first I thought "why are they focusing so much on promoting their British stuff where the main reason for this is bringing good PvP gameplay to Arma 2?" and now that I see PR is still in need of character modelers I tend to think even more that this was a bad idea?

Don't take this the wrong way, I'm looking forward for PR, but is it really worth it to slow it down this much in order to get the British faction in the initial release? I mean, even with all the difficulty of creating GUI and stuff for your missions, it can't be taking this long, can it? I mean, actual scripting of what you seem to be doing (GUI aside, since that does take much more work than just making the rest of the mission work) should be quite easy to do from a technical perspective.

I totally understand what you are saying, and am not taking it the wrong way of course, but we are creating this because that is our goal, and what we as a team want to do, no matter how long it takes. Its not as though we are on a timescale anyway.

Like we have always said, this will be our "core" and so this will take time.

We never wanted to just throw out some gameplay and then add to it later.

I still wonder why PR didn't initially release a pure gameplay+realism mod, with existing units, to actually get the (supposedly) much needed PR gameplay out, and then add the British faction later, just like other factions are planned to be added in the far future. I mean at first I thought "why are they focusing so much on promoting their British stuff where the main reason for this is bringing good PvP gameplay to Arma 2?" and now that I see PR is still in need of character modelers I tend to think even more that this was a bad idea?

Don't take this the wrong way, I'm looking forward for PR, but is it really worth it to slow it down this much in order to get the British faction in the initial release? I mean, even with all the difficulty of creating GUI and stuff for your missions, it can't be taking this long, can it? I mean, actual scripting of what you seem to be doing (GUI aside, since that does take much more work than just making the rest of the mission work) should be quite easy to do from a technical perspective.

Agree on the factions. They could have done just USMC vs Insurgents, US Army vs Takistani Army etc etc... But I'm in no hurry, they can take as much as time as they need :)

Uk_Force, is it possible for you to enable the "Full Size" button for everyone on the picture album?

Uk_Force, is it possible for you to enable the "Full Size" button for everyone on the picture album?

Done.

Hello

This project seems wonderful and I would like to ask when this mod is expected?

Is there any release plan soon?

Hello

When it's done! :rolleyes:

Hello

when its done :bounce3:

Hello

The mod is highly expected to fucking rock!

Hi guys, this is looking/sounding very good indeed. I'm always interested in more Brit content and different gameplay :)

One question: I know you guys are staying away from any CBA dependencies, but will there be any issues for people wanting to use CBA? I ask for purely selfish reasons, I like my Fire & Smoke :)

It depends... the event handlers might conflict. I can't see why CBA is being kept clear of. It doesn't make sense since CBA is a community project anyway.

The Brit weapons sound great, but the ak's sound "dead", horrible, just doesn't feel like it's firing outside, in a open area, jus't a sound that plays everytime you hit the button sort of thing. Check how Chammy made it in his mod, everything sounds great and feels like it's a real weapon in a real place, not like a sound that playes every time you hit a button.

but the ak's sound "dead", horrible, just doesn't feel like it's firing outside, in a open area, jus't a sound that plays everytime you hit the button sort of thing. Check how Chammy made it in his mod, everything sounds great and feels like it's a real weapon in a real place, not like a sound that playes every time you hit a button.

Thats really strange because these sounds are unique and real, and have been implemented by a professional sound artist we have on the team.

We have not gone down the route of "overloading" these sounds for the game to make them sound "uber, awesome, etc, etc".

We have spent months reconfigging a lot of our sounds from scratch to bring them back down to a realistic sound, listening to some of the ArmA2 sounds out there, with our team of Military Advisors who use these weapons, we have noticed that a lot have been "overdone", to an extent that they actually do not sound like the real thing anymore.

Although to a general gamer they may have become used to the sound addon they use/prefer, and think that is a realistic sound - which is fine if it suits them.

ps. Chammy is a PR Contributor for BF2.

We have not gone down the route of "overloading" these sounds for the game to make them sound "uber, awesome, etc, etc".
I like the sound, they sound extremely great in Bf2 PR. it's just that it doesn't echo, doesn't have that oomph to it, compared to ones in Bf2 PR.

Maybe later will sound good and looking forward to the release.

Edited by aidas2

UK_Force;1852039']Thats really strange because these sounds are unique and real' date=' and have been implemented by a professional sound artist we have on the team.

We have spent months reconfigging a lot of our sounds from scratch to bring them [i']back down [/i]to a realistic sound, listening to some of the ArmA2 sounds out there, with our team of Military Advisors who use these weapons, we have noticed that a lot have been "overdone", to an extent that they actually do not sound like the real thing anymore.

Sorry, but I wouldn't call those sounds unique. Yeah, they came from a quite decent sound library and might be "realistic" to a certain degree but they already used by some community sound guys (including me) and BIS. Listen to the Arma 2 M16 sound, its similiar to the RPK-74' in your video ;), or listen the AK74 in Arma 1, or AKM in Arma 2, similiar to your AKs in the video, just BI had their echo cut off and made some adjustments. I dont say they are bad or unrealistic, but they are not unique.