Sign in to follow this  
craig.turner

Project Reality - WIP Discussion

CBA isn't just useful for Addons. I use the functions in missions on a regular basis. That is mainly why I'm curious if the two will work together.

This mod looks very promising!

Edited by Foxhound

So any chance of getting back to PR?

Will we see a host of factions being created by the PR team, in time, or are they not being planned for/kept under wraps?

So are they going to finish this project??? its been on the go for a year or something now... I've been about to pee my self for that long too lol

So any chance of getting back to PR?

Will we see a host of factions being created by the PR team, in time, or are they not being planned for/kept under wraps?

As far as I understand it, it will ONLY be British Vs Taliban..... and I hope so too.... to many mods etc focus on USA.....

;1988776']Im still trying to play BF2 PR' date=' on a vista32 pc...Wont work..[/quote']

You sure you're running XP SP3 compatibility mode and run as admin?

gameplay trailer? duh.

They were supposed to release in July (did I missed something?) :P

UK_Force;1629740']Having just finished on a Development meeting it has been decided that due to some current issues and show stopping bugs we will have to delay our release by a few weeks' date=' to that end the "July" release will now slip into August.

Normally Project Reality do not announce timeframes for releases at all, however as this is a v0.1 BETA, and has been a long time in development we feel it right to keep you informed of this.

We are very close at present, but just need to fix these current issues that affect gameplay hugely and ensuring the assets we need ingame, are indeed completed, on top of that we have also unexpectedly lost one of our Developers who was instrumental in this area.

[i']- The Project Reality Team[/i]

That is what you missed.

;1988581']As far as I understand it' date=' it will ONLY be British Vs Taliban..... and I hope so too.... to many mods etc focus on USA.....[/quote']

That is true for 0.1, further down the line i think its safe to say we can expect other factions.

;1988776']Im still trying to play BF2 PR' date=' on a vista32 pc...Wont work..[/quote']

Vista is erm...a funny beast when it comes to BF2 in general. Try AfterDune's tips, and if it still isn't working, we have a tech team on the PR forums who can offer more in-depth assistance.

Had a run round in PR:ArmA2 recently and was very impressed with the PvP element indeed :)

Thanks for the info Tommy

And hey You PR guys...

The main problems I had (any few others like me) with Project Reality were:

- scale

- players

and to explain...

Scale - maps were often too big to cover even with 60 players, also big minus of the BF2:PR was lack of civies. Will You add civilians to the missions and will PR maps support them? It'd definitely add to the atmosphere and a real ROE factor (big punishments for "collateral damage" would be welcome), it'd also limit the usage of combat vehicles. It'd be helluva better then omg-how-big, yet completely empty environment.

Players - the problem of the every modern tactical game. Insurgency mod, PR BF2 mod, Darkest Hour, all of them suffered mainly because many players simply didn't cooperate and instead made on lonewolf rides. Did You do something else then in BF2, to prevent that? (especially ArmA 2 is even more open and contains an easier terrain then BF2\original PR).

And also, what's the suppression system? Is it "getting blind" like in the original one? If so, could You maybe make it less drastic, like the "Wizz" addon that can be found on armaholic?

And how configurable (MP Mission Parameters) will the mod be? Respawn time, time of day, weather, point\win limit?

Edited by JonPL

Thanks for the info Tommy

And hey You PR guys...

The main problems I had (any few others like me) with Project Reality were:

- scale

- players

and to explain...

Scale - maps were often too big to cover even with 60 players, also big minus of the BF2:PR was lack of civies. Will You add civilians to the missions and will PR maps support them? It'd definitely add to the atmosphere and a real ROE factor (big punishments for "collateral damage" would be welcome), it'd also limit the usage of combat vehicles. It'd be helluva better then omg-how-big, yet completely empty environment.

Players - the problem of the every modern tactical game. Insurgency mod, PR BF2 mod, Darkest Hour, all of them suffered mainly because many players simply didn't cooperate and instead made on lonewolf rides. Did You do something else then in BF2, to prevent that? (especially ArmA 2 is even more open and contains an easier terrain then BF2\original PR).

And also, what's the suppression system? Is it "getting blind" like in the original one? If so, could You maybe make it less drastic, like the "Wizz" addon that can be found on armaholic??

With regards to scale, a 4x4km map like Kashan Desert can be amazing with a good commander and decent squads all using Mumble. One effective squad armed with an MG nest, a supply crate and a heavy anti-tank weapon can defend a point while others advance and secure on the other flags in the chain.

Another thing the PR team have tried (and still are trying) is 128 players on one server. Obviously it can be unstable and map settings (vehicles etc) have to be adjusted but apart from that I've had a blast playing PR 128 players. It feels much better and there's usually a lot more action.

Players are usually 'kept in check' by reliable server admins who apply for licences to run a PR server which can, I believe, be revoked at any time. Most servers I see enforce the rules of no locked squads while others even go so far as saying you must be on the servers Mumble channel.

Lone wolfing simply isn't an option in this game. Targets on the ground can only be designated from a certain source such as a squad leader, sniper or another aircraft. An A-10 flying low to find targets will probably find a MANPADS locking onto them very quickly while infantry attempting to close in on a tank will be lit up very quickly due to the tanks superior sight systems.

Tanks/IFVs/APCs all require a separate player to operate the gun system, which has improved upon the old BF2 system. Thermals, ranging and ammunition type have all been added by the PR team. A player can't just drive off and then switch seats because another player is required to be in the driver's seat.

I've been on PR training servers where the spawn times for vehicles is reduced and no kit is limited and it's impossibly hard to play even like that. You'll run out of ammo quickly and obviously you're miles from nowhere so you need to ask for help from a helicopter pilot or some form of APC (they carry supplies).

Suppression basically blurs your screen and the time and I think the effect varies depending on the weight of fire you're under. It's incredibly difficult to pick any detail out during this time and I usually go by the sound of my squad mates' weapons to find my way to cover.

I actually got it working and joined a server but i was CTD´d as i was

to enter the game..

Uppdating now and yes running in Compmode..

How do I sign up to play??? this mod likes great, its nice to try a different military other than the U.S... though I am American... is there any reference to being able to play?

How do I sign up to play??? this mod likes great, its nice to try a different military other than the U.S... though I am American... is there any reference to being able to play?

If you want to play PR for BF2 then you can do so now, all you need is to have the original BF2 installed and patched up to 1.5 and then install the PR Client packs (there are 3):

Project Reality: Downloads

As for PR: A2, well I'd love to be playing that now as well :p

I just use Desura to update PR for BF2.

I hope PR:ArmA2 comes out on Desura, just so simple...

I hope PR:ArmA2 comes out on Desura, just so simple...

Not sure if Desura does ArmA 2 mods yet (maybe it does now).

You could use Yoma or Six updater if you are having troubles with manual updates.

i can bet that there will be no PR on the central six repro..

regarding desura, all i know is BIS has been looking into it not that long ago...

...hmmm, I might take that wager with you :)

...hmmm, I might take that wager with you :)

And why would you think that? Unless PR disallows it, or releases a 10 GB mod, I don't see why not.

Edited by Sickboy

And why would you think that? Unless PR disallows it, or releases a 10 GB mod, I don't see why not.

I'm assuming this would be the reason.

If they don't release updates more often than once every 6+ months then there is no dire need for special patching methods anyway, but I don't see why additional distribution methods would hurt anyone.

...I agree, which is why I would wager against Pufu ;)

Prolly dint word it too meaningful-like.

---------- Post added at 05:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:02 PM ----------

I'm assuming this would be the reason.

They'd be foolish to overlook it. I expect it'd be driven by how often they expect to make updates.