What are the most important sounds for you while using JSRS?  

179 members have voted

1. 1. What are the most important sounds for you while using JSRS?

• The weapon sounds!
    • The vehicle sounds!
    • Environmental sounds!
    • Explosions, Soniccracks, Bullethits, the sound of danger!
    • The script features like the "distance sounds"!
    • Everything combined! The whole Mod itself is important.

Are you using other mods? If you are, which ones?

No, these were the first mods I ever installed. All I really want is for the rifles no more to sound like airsoft weapons!

First of all:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?101214-ARMA-2-CO-%28how-to-combine-ARMA-2-into-ARMA-2-OA-and-use-together%29

Then I recommend a Arma 2 Launcher (like Alpinstars) to manage your stuff since I'm afraid I dont have any idea of Arma Steam version since I trust in a retail DVD instead of a online plattform that tells me when to play my or and when not due to in-chancel-able update installations :S

LJ

First of all:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?101214-ARMA-2-CO-%28how-to-combine-ARMA-2-into-ARMA-2-OA-and-use-together%29

Then I recommend a Arma 2 Launcher (like Alpinstars) to manage your stuff since I'm afraid I dont have any idea of Arma Steam version since I trust in a retail DVD instead of a online plattform that tells me when to play my or and when not due to in-chancel-able update installations :S

LJ

Doesn't work. The frustration level after endless hours of trying is enormous, arma 2 is no more on my PC. Not your fault, but man am I angry.

LJ, 5259 is one huge number of sound files, great job, thanks for counting and reporting back in :D

Doesn't work. The frustration level after endless hours of trying is enormous, arma 2 is no more on my PC. Not your fault, but man am I angry.

I saw you mentioned Steam. Steam can mess up pretty much every game, so it's not necessarily the mod. The fact that you could hear AK sounds but not m16s sounds like something isn't installed correctly in your A2Co dirs. If you still want to try, verify your installation, do a search online on similar problems and you may just fix it. People have far less problems with games that are non-steam than the steam ones. Don't take it wrong, Steam is a great platform, good for gamers, but the architecture kinda sucks.

I saw you mentioned Steam. Steam can mess up pretty much every game, so it's not necessarily the mod. The fact that you could hear AK sounds but not m16s sounds like something isn't installed correctly in your A2Co dirs. If you still want to try, verify your installation, do a search online on similar problems and you may just fix it. People have far less problems with games that are non-steam than the steam ones. Don't take it wrong, Steam is a great platform, good for gamers, but the architecture kinda sucks.

+1. Kinda sad to say that, but you are totally right. Everytime I played Skyrim for example (I'm a german dude, so the game I installed in german, but downloaded the English Voices pack) the Plattform thought Skyrim is missing a file an was redownloading 3,2GB of files. EVERY SINGLE TIME! So I need to play in Steam Offline mode to prevent this... yah, kinda my own fault, but still.

I'm not really sure, but maybe we can figure this out. When you have Arma 2 and Operation Arrowhead installed, are those installed in the x:/Steam/SteamApps/Common/ folder? Is there an Arma2 folder? Can you make an desktop link? Is your Arma OA installed INTO your Arma 2 folder?

Now, please download all three CBA versions. @CBA, @CBA_A2, @CBA_OA. Put those three folder and the @JSRS1.4 folder in your Arma 2 root folder. Now start the Arma2OA.exe. In the main menu you have the button "Extensions". Click there and select all three CBA versions and Jarheads Sounds Redeployment Systems. The games asks for a restart, do that and try if its working now.

LJ

This might help, I also have the steam version of A2:CO, and I haven't had a problem yet. I do not store my mods in the actual arma 2 folder (program files/steam/steamapps/common/arma 2 operation arrowhead), but I do store them where playwithSIX installs other mods (user/documents/arma 2), of course you do change user with your computer name.... How I've done it though, I've made a shortcut on the desktop (to the arma2 exe file), and I run the game and choose which mods I want to enable while in-game (under expansions).

Hope this helps anyone else who has the same troubles (or if you play on re-installing arma 2/oa/co)

Also, cheers LJ, great job on the old JSRS 1.4, and really liking the progress on 1.5!

you can make arma 2 steam version, to non steam, by simply combining arma 2 and arma 2 oa folder content to a single one some where outside of steam, then changing path to that folder via regedit. I have steam version, but since i've done it, im more then happy to be able to use it without steam, .bat crap etc.

Steam can cause various problems, but changing how PBOs behave once inside the game's folder is not one of them.

Never had any problem with steam version of Arma. It might be a "blind shot", but is it possible that klabautolos does not have A2:CO but only A2? Or installed the mods in Arma2 (instead of OA) folder?

Thats probably for the best, i mean if you give up on just installing ArmA 2 i can imagine how you will struggle learning to play the game itself.

Thats probably for the best, i mean if you give up on just installing ArmA 2 i can imagine how you will struggle learning to play the game itself.

Ouch.. hehe. Yes. Maybe... but still totally worth trying i think.

LJ

Doppler effect sounds completely off, but then again, I guess nobody is able to get around it. I sure hope Arma3 enhances this or somehow lets us limit how much doppler can be applied. So no, you're not to blame :)

In videos I can often see the effect of the (default) wind, which is typically in the 5m/s (10 knots) magnitude - but it didn't seem to produce any sound (grass, leaves and bushes rattling just slightly) at all. While in the vanilla sound, they are pretty much of uniform strength and always producing too much sound. Or maybe some ambient sounds are turned way down for showcasing, or that's the style you went for? Whatever, just thought I'd mention it :) Awesome stuff regardless.

In my own addon I use sound triggers that produce different rain sounds (currently only have two types though, from flightsim :D) for different rain intensities inside different kinds of vehicles, but I'm wondering if that same custom approach could be used for rain sounds while inside buildings? I use simple expression evaluation (same as sound engine does) within sqf script to do the trick to determine trigger (sound producer) position (elevation distance for volume control). How would I separate a power tower, a roofed shed with no walls, and a regular roofed house with doors (all affect simple expression parameter "HOUSES")? And would it even be worth it (performance vs audible impact)?

Just a very quick scene, fresh from our server

(Video might still be processed by YT)

More stuff to follow during the weekend

"...and we celebrate it like real freedom fighters" I guess real freedom fighters dont kill themselves with RPG back-blasts :P

LJ

link for JSRS1.5
Is that a question or a statement? 1.5 has not been released yet.

LJ

What's so hard to understand what the poor guy is asking for?! Here you go, Otarius....at least some of us know what you want:

"...and we celebrate it like real freedom fighters" I guess real freedom fighters dont kill themselves with RPG back-blasts :P

LJ

I take you don't watch many of their combat cameras :D. Granted, less common than getting your drumms blowed by AK firing 5cm from your ear, but still....

Hello Jarhead!

I just wanted to say that I really appreciate your work. I myself am working in the Air Force and spent some 1000 bullets of various guns AG3, HK416, MP5, MP7, MG3 etc and can say that the effects you are trying to recreate here are probably as close as we're ever going to get to real life firearms. The FPS script and inside building effects are top notch. I remember very well how firing the AG3 gives you the "clank" sound as the bolt hits the buffer spring in the stock. Standing next to the AG3 all you could hear was a really loud bang. I like what I'm seeing on your youtube videos, but I'm even more excited to hear the full quality sounds ingame.

If I have one constructive criticism based on JSRS 1.4.3, it is that the explosions lack a little bass. I'd like to "feel" the shockwave as something goes off nearby. Of course I am using a headset so I won't be having soundwaves against my body like in real life, but the bass "thud" could be slightly more present in my honest opinion. Will help "scare" us some more for immersion.

I don't know exactly how it will sound in JSRS 1.5 even though the youtube clips are very promising, but this is something I personally hope to hear in the future :)

Thanks for your outstanding work!

Hello Jarhead!

I just wanted to say that I really appreciate your work. I myself am working in the Air Force and spent some 1000 bullets of various guns AG3, HK416, MP5, MP7, MG3 etc and can say that the effects you are trying to recreate here are probably as close as we're ever going to get to real life firearms. The FPS script and inside building effects are top notch. I remember very well how firing the AG3 gives you the "clank" sound as the bolt hits the buffer spring in the stock. Standing next to the AG3 all you could hear was a really loud bang. I like what I'm seeing on your youtube videos, but I'm even more excited to hear the full quality sounds ingame.

If I have one constructive criticism based on JSRS 1.4.3, it is that the explosions lack a little bass. I'd like to "feel" the shockwave as something goes off nearby. Of course I am using a headset so I won't be having soundwaves against my body like in real life, but the bass "thud" could be slightly more present in my honest opinion. Will help "scare" us some more for immersion.

I don't know exactly how it will sound in JSRS 1.5 even though the youtube clips are very promising, but this is something I personally hope to hear in the future :)

Thanks for your outstanding work!

Hello,

well many thanks for your opinions here, much appreciated to hear that from someone who knows about that stuff personal. I had never the intension to create lifelike sounds or do them as "realistic" as possible sine I believe is was never possible, never will! So its just a bigger surprise for me to hear that you can identify some of the sounds. At least I try to create some authentically noises. And funny you mentioned the explosions, I was working on them the last couple of days and created some new ones, with a lot more bass to them at the first blast. I can make a video to show some new explosion sounds, I had the awesome opportunity to get real recorded explosion sounds from 40 mm grenades, Mortars, hand grenades.

LJ

meanmachine1 I didn´t forget your request.

Here is a video of me playing the second mission of Operation Cobalt.

Notice how you will be able to hear the firefight in Novy Sobor where the Americans attack enemy positions

More videos will be released today, so stay tuned.

Upcoming:

1. Cut from a MP session where a few brave freedom fighters attack a Takistani outpost

2. A Tank mission

3. A brutal ambush

LJ, I just got an updated version of my FL Studio yesterday with a purpose to create more advanced sound effects for my missions, and I found a real gem you have to check out.

DL Fruity Loops Demo, then after you tune your settings properly in browser tab find a dir that contains Amp folder and under that you will find an effect called Hardcore, or Fruity Hardcore. Or alternatively you can insert a sound file and drop it in the mixer, then on effects tab (can be opened on upper right in icon rows) for Master channel add an effect (right side of it with drop down menu/icon) that says Fruity Hardcore under plugins list.

This plugin is designed for professional musicians, preferably rock music, but I am yet to find better mixer for radio filters, echo and reverb ambientals, simply put it's so freaking powerful. The older versions I used of this plugin weren't like this.

Both FL Demo and Hardcore demo (comes with FL I guess) are free to try live, you can even export wav files but not save projects with it.

Give it a check, I'm sure you will like it.

Anyway, not to be a bugger, but I have a question and possible request. Is there mp5k (Kurz version) weapon for ArmA 2 and if someone has the mod installed can you record a vid with that weapon being used (assuming JSRS supports the gun sounds)?

@Video sobor line

the russian weapons doesn´t sounds good. No energy. I am a big fan of this soundmod, so I hope this little negative feedback is ok. The distant sounds in this video are still epic (incl. all the other sounds).

@Video sobor line

the russian weapons doesn´t sounds good. No energy. I am a big fan of this soundmod, so I hope this little negative feedback is ok. The distant sounds in this video are still epic (incl. all the other sounds).

Don´t forget that these are AK 74 not AK 47. The sound is OK

Changed AK74/s, AKM, AK47, AK74Gl anyways. They are tweaked abit more and shall have a bit more power now. Tonci just did not got the new files yet...

LJ