What are the most important sounds for you while using JSRS?  

179 members have voted

1. 1. What are the most important sounds for you while using JSRS?

• The weapon sounds!
    • The vehicle sounds!
    • Environmental sounds!
    • Explosions, Soniccracks, Bullethits, the sound of danger!
    • The script features like the "distance sounds"!
    • Everything combined! The whole Mod itself is important.

Please dont start this comparing to YouTube video.bullshit right now!!! Just compare Arma2 vanilla.sound to JSRS since this is all you will get....

LJ

Any news as to when the 1.5 public beta will be uploaded for download?

Sorry to seem naggy, lot of anxious people :)

Please dont start this comparing to YouTube video.bullshit right now!!! Just compare Arma2 vanilla.sound to JSRS since this is all you will get....

LJ

Just to be clear, I´ll immediately halt the promo campaign if someone comes up with "that doesn´t sound like on YT". It never will because of the arma engine and because YT vids rarelly sound like the real deal.

Well Neurofunker here you go

I hope it covers everything you wanted to hear.

@Everyone, please also read this

https://dev-heaven.net/news/746

Does anybody else have a request?

Name a weapon, a vehicle, a situation, a mission, I might record it.

woa, nice one man! Never been driving in a T-90, but duuude, this makes u actually believe your'e driving one for real! Gota love thus tracking sounds, just one question, aren't tracks supposed to sound different on asphalt and on the dirt? Turns on the speakers to max, hears t90 125mm gun fire, shits bricks, jaw drops :O Now that was freaking loud!

Can't wait to test it all by myself!

Edited by NeuroFunker

woa, nice one man! Never been driving in a T-90, but duuude, this makes u actually believe your'e driving one for real! Gota love thus tracking sounds, just one question, aren't tracks supposed to sound different on asphalt and on the dirt? Turns on the speakers to max, hears t90 125mm gun fire, shits bricks, jaw drops :O Now that was freaking loud!

Can't wait to test it all by myself!

They do! You just can´t hear it well on YT.

Well, In my defense I have to say that I really hate how quiet the inside sounds are. I tried to max them out even more, but its impossible as you can hear in the video, the last shot was a quick change to the third person view, so that makes the sound at its usual volume. But inside a tank those sounds are so freaky damped. Too sad.

Also I just reworking the Distance sounds, since there was a heavy issue with the volumes. The further the shooter is away the quieter these sounds need to get, but that wasn't the case obviously. So I kinda working 24/7 here and totally reworking each single sound again. Using EQ to kill the bass and replace it with new samples, tweak the resonances to make them more damped on higher distances and then adjust the volume to the basic distance. Means 1.204 sounds, each will take around.... 2 minutes... :S Got around 180 done, lol.

Keep posting Tonci, most of the sounds will be different next time :P.

LJ

Would go a lot faster if I would stop chattin' and posting everywhere :P

Well, lets say around 1 min per sample, I worked a nicer way out. Sadly my Sony does no support macros :P

LJ

Well, In my defense I have to say that I really hate how quiet the inside sounds are. I tried to max them out even more, but its impossible as you can hear in the video, the last shot was a quick change to the third person view, so that makes the sound at its usual volume. But inside a tank those sounds are so freaky damped. Too sad.

Also I just reworking the Distance sounds, since there was a heavy issue with the volumes. The further the shooter is away the quieter these sounds need to get, but that wasn't the case obviously. So I kinda working 24/7 here and totally reworking each single sound again. Using EQ to kill the bass and replace it with new samples, tweak the resonances to make them more damped on higher distances and then adjust the volume to the basic distance. Means 1.204 sounds, each will take around.... 2 minutes... :S Got around 180 done, lol.

Keep posting Tonci, most of the sounds will be different next time :P.

LJ

I know, that´s why I added a popup that everything is still WiP :p

1.5 sounds great.

The best part of your mod seems to be the effects and additional features that A2 vanilla lacks. However I gotta say that to this day no game or game mod features realistic gunshots, and almost all are lacking depth (the BOPPing) can't blame you for that though, good stuff is very hard to come by ;)

Whats up with the odd flute music on the 1st 1.5 beta vid?

I also wanted to ask, if anyone knows. What is the best sound class to use for missions, Radio, SFX, Sounds, Music or make custom one? I need one that will use most of the sound files quality. So far used Radio one, but it seems that A2, no matter how good things sound, will cut the bass and make stereo files sound weak.

1.5 sounds great.

The best part of your mod seems to be the effects and additional features that A2 vanilla lacks. However I gotta say that to this day no game or game mod features realistic gunshots, and almost all are lacking depth (the BOPPing) can't blame you for that though, good stuff is very hard to come by ;)

Whats up with the odd flute music on the 1st 1.5 beta vid?

I also wanted to ask, if anyone knows. What is the best sound class to use for missions, Radio, SFX, Sounds, Music or make custom one? I need one that will use most of the sound files quality. So far used Radio one, but it seems that A2, no matter how good things sound, will cut the bass and make stereo files sound weak.

This isnt odd flute music dude. Heuehe. It was the ending part of the track for the JSRS trailer. Damn you... strange flute... pah... :))) hehe.

Well it depends on what kinda sound you want to place. Is it a radiosound then use Radio. Radiosounds does not have that much bass :)

If its music then use music. Shoulndt cut off the bass so much. Not on my end at least. You can try other things like Say, say2D or say3D. Say plays a sound local on the players end. No cutoff bevause of distance, no lofational placing if Im right. Say2D will play the more locational but in their true power as Im sure. As I used it ones instead of my say3D entry for distance sounds all sounds twice that loud as before. So totally soundsample volume. but not that got locationing Im afraid, never tested it mich though. And well, say3D is pretty much best location option to place sounds in the world. I gotta look in one if my files for ya. I created a mission, a giant one in Alijabad. There was a huge military US base. When you started the mission you had to get your gear ready (anti IED, EOD mod, enough supplies corze the mission took around 4 hours to complete when you are fast) and so you wasted some time there. And gear collecting just sitting and looking into a crate. So I placed a Radio in that camp and let it play an AC/DC track in the background. Full in 3D locationing, with fx echo and such stuff. Was pretty nice so. Also I placed an old UH1 helios with some infantry in it which you can call in as soon as you may need help or so. So when he flies around he played a CCR track fully in 3D. Since you can attach sounds to objects like vehicles or persons and shit, so that was pretty awesome as he was flying over the battlefield with this music really loud, MG gunner shooting the hell out of the enemies on the ground amd so... hehehe

LJ

PS: damn my writting today. Used my cellphone to answer. Keyboard is far.too small for my big thumhs lol

Edited by LordJarhead

Didn't say it's bad, just odd (in a good way;)) as I never heard something like it before, I actually like:bounce3:

You like such music?

Here, some inspiration:

Icone - Sorrow (LiftUp Remix) Go to 2:22 for flute part - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q10D-IDuFmI

Trail Of Angels (Chinese classic, bamboo flute) -

Can't remember name of this one, but it's a rare gem, sad one at that -

Later on I will make a mission with the damping demo. I already know how to use say2D, say3D, etc, just don't know how to suck out most of the engine and maximize playback quality in game from my sound files.

Remember guys that you still have the chance to post your own request of what I should record next.

Ok, here's the surround sound audio demo.

This one is low quality (maximum compression) but it still packs a punch with effects used.

No advanced scripts, just some basic stuff and ArmA 2's sound playback at work combined with some ear trickery.

From Read Me file:

A very simple surround sound audio demo.

Place pbo file in SP missions folder (Chernarus maps, ArmA 2)

Run from Singleplayer>Scenarios.

This mission is for demonstrational purposes only.

It features 3 samples in 2 versions each. Surround sound is 3-Point and uses ArmA 2's vanilla sound engine parameters.

Different sound cards may read this differently, no support.

Each Advanced example uses 4 samples, so use one after another. Each Simple example uses just 1 sample.

To access samples in-game, use radio menu 0-0-1 to 0-0-6

-MAVEN

For best results, move around while demos are playing, see what sounds best. Also note, that Police demo may cause headache if listened to a lot, this is because echoing is acting "natural" and may create binaural tones. If you experience a headache stop listening to this sample. The demo is best heard with good headphones, and when Effects volume bar is at ~80%

Zero guarantee, use at your own risk. If you like it I may create a tutorial and supply some additional files. Perhaps you've added something like this already in the mod. Still, give it a check, may prove useful.

Audio Demo Download

Tonci, I would like to see a gameplay where there is a distant battle going on, camera is static, and it's dusk. If you are willing to create, much appreciated in advance ;)

Well, lets say around 1 min per sample, I worked a nicer way out. Sadly my Sony does no support macros :P

You should try out Adobe Audition, has a mass of batch conversion options & filetypes and those type of things (stereo to mono / rate changes / scaling up & down), but, cost is the factor I guess.

This one is low quality (maximum compression) but it still packs a punch with effects used.

No advanced scripts, just some basic stuff and ArmA 2's sound playback at work combined with some ear trickery.

From Read Me file:

It features 3 samples in 2 versions each. Surround sound is 3-Point and uses ArmA 2's vanilla sound engine parameters.

Each Advanced example uses 4 samples, so use one after another. Each Simple example uses just 1 sample.

-MAVEN

For best results, move around while demos are playing, see what sounds best. Also note, that Police demo may cause headache if listened to a lot, this is because echoing is acting "natural" and may create binaural tones. If you experience a headache stop listening to this sample. The demo is best heard with good headphones, and when Effects volume bar is at ~80%

Zero guarantee, use at your own risk. If you like it I may create a tutorial and supply some additional files. Perhaps you've added something like this already in the mod. Still, give it a check, may prove useful.

Audio Demo Download

Tonci, I would like to see a gameplay where there is a distant battle going on, camera is static, and it's dusk. If you are willing to create, much appreciated in advance ;)

Thanks,

I can see the effect and how you did it, causes a nice echo on the sounds. Especially the announcer SFX was pretty sexy ;)

I kinda thinking in which way or on what kind of sound I could use that. Since I dont think this is actually able to transfer to weapons. Would mean to have 3 to 4 extra sounds per shot, so it would kill the performance kinda fast. But I maybe have an idea... hmm. Im kinda afraid it'll cause to much lags for weapons. Would we have a nicer engine that can handle sound files better, this would be an awesome immersion to the whole environment of the game when we could feature weapons and explosions, vehicles with it.

Thank you for sharing btw, pretty nice idea. What brought you to that idea?

LJ

PS: The request for the distance sounds wouldn't be a good idea right now, since I kinda tweaked and changed the distances sounds and Tonci didn't got them yet. ^^

@crash

Ya T tried that a while ago, but its far too expensive for me. Kinda got used to Sony so will stay with that for now. Most sounds are done anyways ;) Thanks for the tip.

LJ

From Read Me file:

-MAVEN

Audio Demo Download

Ok I´ll do a distant battle when LJ finishes the distance sounds :)

Any more requests?

You actually don't need to use extra sound files to get the effect in fact.

Haven't you added something like this already?

If you can add scripts and code effects right in the mod, then I can tell you how to add the surround effect with just code (assuming you know how to code it) as it's very simple to do. Wouldn't impact performance a lot either. Of course, performance would drop to abyss if all sounds were made to be like in the demo, that's because the demo had to be designed to use prepared material instead of actual code that creates it on the go :P

I got by this idea when I launched A2 editor for 1st time and wanted to add sounds. I was stunned how bad stereo sounds render. So I decided to improvise for ending of my USMC Sweepers mission, and it turned out it's a really nice touch that is compatible with all A2 versions and doesn't need extra addons. So from now on I use this trick for my missions. If nothing else, I think that at least mission makers could use this to create more realistic missions, somewhat cinematic even.

Tonci. Nothing else, thanks, when preview is ready shoot ;)

Well,

I know that you actually just need one other sound sample which is damped with a little echo to it. But letting the game play this sound files two or three times the same time is the problem. Sure for what you have in mind it is definitely perfect to make some missions sound even better. I imagine a giant Takistan marked with a lot of noises, or the giant mosque with the usual singings in the morning. Imagine that, yeah, that would be really awesome indeed. Actually I'm kinda sad this wont be able for weapons as the named performance lag is too much when a lot of soldiers shooting the same time.

Yes, our script is placing and playing the sounds with the Say3D entry like yours, but totally scripted, so it would take a lot more performance than your variant does right now I'm afraid. And as said I don't see any good use of this for me right now. I'm thinking about this nice idea a few hours already....

Maybe for explosions... those are not yet touched by the script and does use the usual CFG stuff. Actually just need to freaky address explosions and give them two or three entries with Say3D "sound1" or so. Can this be triggered within a cpp files? I'm afraid not...

LJ

Great sound mod, really boost immersion a lot.

I've got several errors logged into my server's rpt though and, while it doesnt affect playbility, I just don't like to have spam there.

Cannot load sound 'jsrs_gp25\gp25_reload.wss'

Cannot load sound 'jsrs_grenade\reload.wss'

Cannot load sound 'jsrs_m107\reload.wss'

Cannot load sound 'jsrs_m136\reload.wss'

Cannot load sound 'jsrs_m203\m203_reload.wss'

Cannot load sound 'jsrs_m2hmg\reload.wss'

Cannot load sound 'jsrs_m4a1\reload.wss'

Cannot load sound 'jsrs_m4a3\reload.wss'

Cannot load sound 'jsrs_mk19\reload.wss'

Cannot load sound 'jsrs_scar_l\reload.wss'

Cannot load sound 'jsrs_smoke\reload.wss'

Am I missing some files on the server?

Well,

I know that you actually just need one other sound sample which is damped with a little echo to it. But letting the game play this sound files two or three times the same time is the problem. Sure for what you have in mind it is definitely perfect to make some missions sound even better. I imagine a giant Takistan marked with a lot of noises, or the giant mosque with the usual singings in the morning. Imagine that, yeah, that would be really awesome indeed. Actually I'm kinda sad this wont be able for weapons as the named performance lag is too much when a lot of soldiers shooting the same time.

Yes, our script is placing and playing the sounds with the Say3D entry like yours, but totally scripted, so it would take a lot more performance than your variant does right now I'm afraid. And as said I don't see any good use of this for me right now. I'm thinking about this nice idea a few hours already....

Maybe for explosions... those are not yet touched by the script and does use the usual CFG stuff. Actually just need to freaky address explosions and give them two or three entries with Say3D "sound1" or so. Can this be triggered within a cpp files? I'm afraid not...

LJ

The sound sample limit is really odd in A2. That's sad really. Isn't there a way to go past it?

Anyway, I don't know can say3D work from cpp files, but, if you do find a way to use this for explosions, you can try this (a very simplified tutorial):

Add explosion sound file to an explosion, this is original. Then, if you use some in-game effects, add Lowpass filtration to the original file (in-game, rendered live) and on top of that, maybe add some cheap delay. After you have this kind of sound file pre-rendered in-game you can use "Triangle" shape with 3 objects surrounding the explosion with the modified sound and doing say3D, those objects can be attached with attachTo command to the original explosion, in addition the 3 points of the triangle would delay their playback 0.2 seconds to sync with the original file (and not run in front of it) You can later cook a script to move the triangle object further, or closer, adding some dynamic play to it, also pitching, etc, via SFX class.

If you want to use pre-recorded files. Try this. Use original explosion sound (for in-game explosion) then in audio editor apply some quality lowpassfiltering, damping, echo, and highpass filtering, also lower the file volume to 20%, after that, export both files (original and modified) as mono, except that you can compress the modified damping file completely so that it doesn't eat up loads of ram memory. Once you got the two files, you can either create the "triangle" as described above or a "square" to simulate 4.1 surround sound live.

I thought you coded some additional dll's and custom filters for the mod and made the game use those completely. It's only now clear how so much work you put into the mod by using the super limited sound engine of A2.

Like pushing an ice cube through a straw...Kudos to you and all involved :j:

Here's a demo, actually it was a mission I made for testing, back when I was learning how AI waypoints work and how to detect dead or alive units. I just added explosion with damping to it.

It's simple, shoot the AT shell from where you spawn at the armor in front (around 1000 m far) then hold for 10 seconds, or move after the shot and alarm will trigger, then AI will appear.

It's a SP mission file. Made it as a testing playground for USMC Tag Em Dead mission I plan to make once my MVD pack is released.

Audio Test

Edited by MAVEN
Added a link

The sound sample limit is really odd in A2. That's sad really. Isn't there a way to go past it?

You could upload it to the "Editor & Scripting" thread as a seperate addon/script for players to load up along side JSRS MOD ?? Just a thought...