What are the most important sounds for you while using JSRS?  

179 members have voted

1. 1. What are the most important sounds for you while using JSRS?

• The weapon sounds!
    • The vehicle sounds!
    • Environmental sounds!
    • Explosions, Soniccracks, Bullethits, the sound of danger!
    • The script features like the "distance sounds"!
    • Everything combined! The whole Mod itself is important.

Can't really say they sound the same, listen carefully and you will see difference.

NERD_Mode=1

"...listen carefully and you will see..."

NERD_Mode=0

Nah, just kidding :P I guess he meant they have a close characteristic feeling, because of the same caliber.

LJ

Holy moly!

Only 2 bugs left !!!

:D

7 left :P

@JH

happy new year and....take the time you need :-)

sorry but what about relase, i saw it must release in 1 january .it redy

87 %

277139_174628385939442_1096265_n.jpg

it no ready...

Be patient..rome wasn't built in a day

without JSRS arma 2 not playable :)

I don't agree ;)

ArmA 2 vanilla sounds are well designed (refurbished from tapes and recordings) and BI probably made them softer and not too realistic on purpose, that's because ArmA 2 is a simulator but a public game still.

JSRS adds a lot more realism to the game, makes it immerse, dramatic, that combined with other mods like WarFX, COWarmod, ACE2 makes the game all of a sudden too real. I personally like it this way, but some people still want to have fun and not simulate war (which by itself is a very stressful thing, some can cope with it others can't) that's where A2 vanilla sounds shine. Compare A2 sounds to COD or BF ones and you will easily see that even vanilla ones, although poor, are still more realistic.

not agree, flat, low fidelity audio, doesn't necessary means, realism. Same as with graphics, old blocky textures, doesnt look realistic at all :p

not agree, flat, low fidelity audio, doesn't necessary means, realism. Same as with graphics, old blocky textures, doesnt look realistic at all :p

Then why so many kids play COD? LOL

i hope that answers your questions :P

Who does play DayZ then? LOL

Anyway, JSRS is awesome, 1.5 will rock the boat :)

LJ, any plans to port this to VBS2/3?

LJ, any plans to port this to VBS2/3?

I guess I have enough to do with one sim mate :P Besides, why shall I make so much work for a game/sim I not going to play anyways?

LJ

EDIT: https://dev-heaven.net/projects/jsrs/roadmap

Will take some minutes^^

Edited by LordJarhead

Hey Lordjarhead! :)

I asked a question on a forum called United Operations (a server i play Arma 2 on) -

ME - "Hey Guys, i was just wondering if the UO server is going to use J.S.R.S 1.5 when it is released later this week? would improved the experience sooo much i think :)!"

USER - "Compatibility issues have meant it hasn't been used on the server, so I doubt it."

ME - "Argh i see, too bad.. But wasn't that with like the 1.4.3 or something like that?"

OTHER USER - "It is unlikely to ever be used on the server, the very way it works causes performance issues with high player counts."

Is this a problem you know about or anything like that? :) Can't wait for the release btw.! :)) Cheers

I asked a question on a forum called United Operations (a server i play Arma 2 on) -

ME - "Hey Guys, i was just wondering if the UO server is going to use J.S.R.S 1.5 when it is released later this week? would improved the experience sooo much i think :)!"

USER - "Compatibility issues have meant it hasn't been used on the server, so I doubt it."

ME - "Argh i see, too bad.. But wasn't that with like the 1.4.3 or something like that?"

OTHER USER - "It is unlikely to ever be used on the server, the very way it works causes performance issues with high player counts."

Is this a problem you know about or anything like that? :) Can't wait for the release btw.! :)) Cheers

Lol, all my testers say something else (at least with 1.5). What ever, I dont see a problem in this, its their loss, not mine.

LJ

Hey man. Just wanted to say thank you for your hard work! I love 1.4.3 and am excited to get my hands on 1.5!

Also saw the roadmap is almost complete!

Just to be sure with the performance, I made a little test.

I had a mission where US soldiers had to attack a village in chernaruss. The whole mission had around 90 AI units, two BMP2, one UAZ, one T72, one Ural and some scripts of UPSMON running in background. I made the test WITH CBA and JSRS and then WITHOUT JSRS but still with CBA to be sure what JSRS alone causes for trouble. Well, I was pretty surprised about the result ...

With JSRS 1.5 and CBA:

Frames: 27095, Time (ms): 663457, Min: 20, Max: 61, Avg: 40.839 -> That's barely noticeable.

With CBA only:

Frames: 20806, Time (ms): 486489, Min: 28, Max: 59, Avg: 42.768 -> For my excuse I gotta say, the second run without JSRS was a bit shorter (I died earlier^^) and there was a smoke grenade less or so :p

Well, all the kudos are going to Norman (Psycho) and Robalo here, who where always able to speed the whole script up, increasing the performance step by step. Thanks for your efforts guys! You did this awesome job!

So, I also have to say, to that United Operations thing, that JSRS 1.5 will be totally client side only. Thats why it wont be needed to run JSRS on the server or anything, the mod must only be allowed. CBA is running anyways if they play with ACE! So there is no reason not allowing JSRS, maybe beside the auditory beneficial. But JSRS is running local. Everything you hear happens and will be calculated on YOUR machine, not on the server or the other players machine.

Besides:

Problems and Issues:

Yes, there are issues with JSRS 1.5. And we wont be able to fix them, not as far as I know. So let me explain some of

them, so you dont wonder what could cause them!

AI Rate of Fire:

Within the first 100 meters the AI will have a usual RoF based on weapon type. But as soon as they get further away

from the player, the AI units will change the RoF and slow it down pretty much. So you will be able to hear only every

third shot. This will ONLY happen with MG's. I have no idea why Bohemia did this, but I guess they did it because of

performance issues. This is not JSRS or the scipts, this is Arma! It will sound strange though. No way to fix it.

Sound Displacements:

When you shoot your gun, the Script will check a few conditions. It'll check if the player is inside a building or not,

inside a car or not, in first-person or not. Every time you shoot, the script needs to do this. Basicly there is NO way to

notice this, since is working incredible fast. But as soon as your FPS rate drops hard, maybe even under 20 FPS, you

can hear a displacement of the sounds. The game and script just don't have enough resources to run that fast anymore.

So you will have a small displacement of maybe 0.1 to 0.5 seconds. Sounds not much? Trust me, having an MG inside

a building and shooting like hell, you'll notice pretty much. The only way to fix it, is to keep the game running

smooth. Yes, seriously. But after my test, I can say, that it shouldn't be a problem anymore. If your game still

lags hard or your FPS rates are slow, you can try using another or no soundmod at all and compare the rates please.

Inroom-sounds outside a building:

The inroom sounds working on a really simple command called LineIntersectsWith. This will (not really) draw a line

from the players/shooters head into the sky every time you shoot the gun. When this line intersects with an object

within 20 meters, and when this object is some kind of house or building, the script gets the signal to play the inroom

sounds. But, you maybe have a building with a shelter, porch, understand? When you are outside that building but

under a veranda, you will still hear that inroom sound. On buildings like in Zargabad it's not that much of a problem.

They are pretty open and you can still say it's reflecting the sound from the inside.

The issue lays in the script command here, but this command is damn fast. It works pretty smooth and thats why I

don't see much of a reason to let Norman create a giant, non-smooth, maybe even worst working script. Also those inroom sound

is working just within 30 meters of range. Its not that much of a problem in my opinion. It happened a few times now,

but I'm still able to locate the shooter.

LJ

Edited by LordJarhead

Nonsense, JSRS is running clientside, so it shouldn´t cause performance issues in MP. Brig 2010 never had perf issues with high playercounts

Can't wait for the release, your really close! awesome work.

AI Rate of Fire:

Within the first 100 meters the AI will have a usual RoF based on weapon type. But as soon as they get further away

from the player, the AI units will change the RoF and slow it down pretty much. So you will be able to hear only every

third shot. This will ONLY happen with MG's. I have no idea why Bohemia did this, but I guess they did it because of

performance issues. This is not JSRS or the scipts, this is Arma! It will sound strange though. No way to fix it.

Often used in open world games to save on resources (sample rates, processing power and memory) some even emulate this, but ArmA 2 simulates distant fights in real time. Not a big deal though, if there's a fight in the distance it will probably be between several units, so all of those who shoot will eventually make up a nice background fight environment, having too many sounds can both be annoying and even cause game issues ;)

Sound Displacements:

When you shoot your gun, the Script will check a few conditions. It'll check if the player is inside a building or not,

inside a car or not, in first-person or not. Every time you shoot, the script needs to do this. Basicly there is NO way to

notice this, since is working incredible fast. But as soon as your FPS rate drops hard, maybe even under 20 FPS, you

can hear a displacement of the sounds. The game and script just don't have enough resources to run that fast anymore.

So you will have a small displacement of maybe 0.1 to 0.5 seconds. Sounds not much? Trust me, having an MG inside

a building and shooting like hell, you'll notice pretty much. The only way to fix it, is to keep the game running

smooth. Yes, seriously. But after my test, I can say, that it shouldn't be a problem anymore. If your game still

lags hard or your FPS rates are slow, you can try using another or no soundmod at all and compare the rates please.

Light travels faster than sound, so this is technically correct, though if delays do impact indoor play it will be weird. Not that many play indoor in ArmA 2 anyway. Perhaps it will be very useful for my MVD Mission Pack :)

though if delays do impact indoor play it will be weird...

Well, as much as I played lately, I barely noticed it anyways. I know it can happen, so I say this already... dont want you to be too exciting about 1.5 and then get disappointed LOL

LJ

Well, as much as I played lately, I barely noticed it anyways. I know it can happen, so I say this already... dont want you to be too exciting about 1.5 and then get disappointed LOL

LJ

It's a free mod, and great one at that, disappointment and whining have no place here :p