Sign in to follow this  
Undeceived

CM Operation Flashpoint 3 announced | "Oops, they're doing it again..."

I don't understand why people think the missions in the original off-the-shelf OFP were so great, I mean it literally takes less than 10 minutes to create a custom mission in ArmA2 that is a billion times more detailed, realistic, and random than anything found in OFP.

There are a large number of features that can be attributed as the reason why Bohemia's military simulations have generated such a huge fanbase, but if I were to put my finger on the most important feature than it would surely be the mission editor.

The best OFP missions I ever played were created by the community.

I think the missions in CWC had the right elements in the right amounts. They were simplistic with clearly defined objectives, but had the illusion of complexity in the mass chaos of a scale never seen before in a game. The characters were for the most part fairly flat, but they were sympathetic and relatable.

Harvest Red had some of this and I found the banter quite enjoyable, but they were still Spec Ops super commandos that took charge of an entire war. This was quite inevitable, however, given the warfare mode.

CWC was a much longer campaign with lots of very original missions at that time...

And you had the famous quote from Barbara Bush : "War is not nice"...

Im still playing CWC missions and campaigns in arma2.

I agree with Max Power "I think the missions in CWC had the right elements in the right amounts. They were simplistic with clearly defined objectives, but had the illusion of complexity in the mass chaos of a scale never seen before in a game. The characters were for the most part fairly flat, but they were sympathetic and relatable."

The good thing is that its not hard to port over the missions/campaigns, so I dont miss OFP abit. Alot of fond memories (ALOT) but I moved on to the successor arma2, same thing but better.

I guess all the love I still have for OFP/BIS is what makes me follow threads like this, I want to see whats happening to the infidels that shit on the name of my old loved one...

Don't forget, OFP you could actually find MP servers. Even Sir Polaris had a server up in 2008/2009ish that we would routinely fill. While the game was outdated, I couldn't believe how OFP went from a great MP experience to a game everyone wants to buy, but no one plays.

Example: I have about 30 people in my unit, and we have only played Arma2/OA about about 3 hours since last Summer.

At this point I honestly don't even care anymore. Codemasters and BIS should just merge again, because obvioiusly neither one them alone can make a game that is fun. Either one makes their game so ridiculously stupid or the other makes it only playable if you have a PhD or antisocial.

Edited by Hans Ludwig

Either one makes their game so ridiculously stupid or the other makes it only playable if you have a PhD or antisocial.

I don't have a PhD, nor am I anti-social, and I can play Arma 2 quite well.

Codemasters and BIS should just merge again, because obvioiusly neither one them alone can make a game that is fun. Either one makes their game so ridiculously stupid or the other makes it only playable if you have a PhD or antisocial.
Care to elaborate?

Either one makes their game so ridiculously stupid or the other makes it only playable if you have a PhD or antisocial.

LOL how on earth could you find ArmA difficult to play. You should try playing Combat Mission Shock Force and commanding a company of tanks and a company of mechanized infantry against a dug-in enemy that is capable of striking you from 2km away, calling in air and artillery support and fighting off vicious large-scale counter attacks whilst under heavy bombardment, all in real time.

At this point I honestly don't even care anymore. Codemasters and BIS should just merge again...

Why? BIS made the campaign, CM marketted it and perhaps payed for voice actors as well as the seventh band tracks.

Edited by NodUnit

And Seventh helped create one of the best things to help BIS so far, and not Codemasters - Virtual BattleSpace. :)

Go back to playing COD or Halo, or any other cut and paste FPS that can be played by a five year old. All those games offer are shiny colors, flashing lights, a few people who say curse words so prepubescent teens think its cool, and finally: something thats so easy to play my grandma could pick up a controller: aim, shoot, reload, repeat. Sounds like a product that is exactly what you're looking for.

The Arma franchise of games actually require thinking, skill, multi-tasking, and teamwork.

Codemasters and BIS should just merge again, because obvioiusly neither one them alone can make a game that is fun.

FPDR

You do realize that Codemasters just published the game, BIS did all of the development, right? OFP was a total BIS product, Codemasters just owned the actual name.

Edited by TheRev709

So the fact the only time BIS made memorable and overall great games was the time they were paired with the codemasters team. it's just a coincidence?

Ben, Codemasters was a different company back then.

They used to actually care about their customers and, though it wasn't the greatest thing I've ever played, they did make Red Hammer.

It's just two dots you connected, I can't come up with a good example that also could work but it shouldn't be that hard.

I guess it being 2001 and the first try at something like this, years of delevopment before actually having a publisher and it using a historic event not touched up on that often in current media had more to do with it.

So the fact the only time BIS made memorable and overall great games was the time they were paired with the codemasters team. it's just a coincidence?

People generally regard OFP with rose tinted glasses. It was a great game, but the ArmA franchise is a better game.

People generally regard OFP with rose tinted glasses. It was a great game, but the ArmA franchise is a better game.

Well i'm not that sure, i'm playing both OFP and ArmA2 and like them both for different reasons. User generated content is much more creative and interesting in OFP, mainly due to 10 years of addon making records. ArmA2 is overall a better game on most of its aspects with some serious flaws here and there (some shared with OFP and some new ones).

Edited by ProfTournesol

It was the right time for OFP. It was ground breaking, and people were ready for it. Both BIS and CM were different companies back then. I think it's right for BIS to look forward and to expand on their concepts. I'm not sure BIS could recapture the zeitgeist of the gaming industry in the late 90s, early 00s for all of the money in the world.

Well i'm not that sure, i'm playing both OFP and ArmA2 and like them both for different reasons. User generated content is much more creative and interesting in OFP, mainly due to 10 years of addon making records. ArmA2 is overall a better game on most of its aspects with some serious flaws here and there (some shared with OFP and some new ones).

I think in partial this can be a fault of the community, back then quality wasn't nearly as sneered at as it is today, true there were some cases but nothing like today, even if an addon could be fun if it doesn't look right many people will ignore it simply for that fact. Personally I loved the shopping cart addon, or the armored tractor.

it's also harder to make addons. it takes longer to make them up to scratch cause you have to make them more detailed.

You don't HAVE to make an addon greatly detailed, this mindset is easily what can be harming the up and comming (or what would be) addon makers who don't have the experience with the tools to make something super detailed or the "quality" the community has come to expect.

The mindset that it must be X quality proves disheartening, many new people don't have the experience, they see others shunned..they decide, why bother.

Quality is BIS job, they get paid for it, that is what they work for, addon making is a free, volunteer kind of thing, as such we shouldn't insult others for not meeting it.

If it's such a great game, why don't more people play it?

Go back to playing COD or Halo, or any other cut and paste FPS that can be played by a five year old. All those games offer are shiny colors, flashing lights, a few people who say curse words so prepubescent teens think its cool, and finally: something thats so easy to play my grandma could pick up a controller: aim, shoot, reload, repeat. Sounds like a product that is exactly what you're looking for.

The Arma franchise of games actually require thinking, skill, multi-tasking, and teamwork.

FPDR

You do realize that Codemasters just published the game, BIS did all of the development, right? OFP was a total BIS product, Codemasters just owned the actual name.

So anyone that isn't happy with what Arma has become is automatically a console game player?

I'm currently back to playing RO/DH and WWIIONLINE. When I'm not playing those two games, I'm playing Invasion 1944 when their community sets a MP server.

And thank you for telling me the history of BIS and Codemasters. I think anyone that hasn't just recently crawled out from under a rock would know that.

Edited by Hans Ludwig

This is true.

However campaign-wise ArmA series are nowhere near OFP until this very time. Not that it's because of Codemasters, BIS had another lead designer before 2004.

Don't mix "great game" with "mainstream game". Chess is a great game too but still less popular than soccer/football/hockey.

And thank you for telling me the history of BIS and Codemasters. I think anyone that hasn't just recently crawled out from under a rock would know that.

I wouldn't bet on that, i see commercial gaming magazines/website lacking of this knowledge regulary.

So anyone that isn't happy with what Arma has become is automatically a console game player?

Chess isn't for everyone so is ArmA 2. If it is for you is up to you to decide. While <insert name of a popular shooter> is a beer, ArmA 2 is a upper class red wine. Hell, beer can be fun, no doubt, and it is cheap.

I still play it at least once a week with friends.

Myke;1814801']Hell' date=' beer can be fun, no doubt, and it is cheap.[/quote']

I wouldn't be so sure. The upper class red wine sells for $40, whereas the beer sells for $60 these days. :p

I still play it at least once a week with friends.

I wouldn't be so sure. The upper class red wine sells for $40, whereas the beer sells for $60 these days. :p

Holy sh**, what kind of beer do you drink? Do you live in pure luxury or what? :p