Sign in to follow this  
Undeceived

CM Operation Flashpoint 3 announced | "Oops, they're doing it again..."

And is it just me, or has the view distance reverted back to the 900m of OFP?

Consoles ... boxes filled with ancient hardware ... I am sure they will consider it a feature, and call it "retro gaming" :j:

The lighting in general of the screens we've seen so far in that game remind me of 3d games of the late 90s / early 00s. If they were going for the Counter Strike 1.4 look, they succeeded. It seems like the art director is having a similar experience with this game as I did with Deus Ex when it first came out, playing with different lighting in the level editor and giggling to myself. Maybe he was fascinated by the colour of cheetos and wished he could stain a whole world in that colour...

Consoles ... boxes filled with ancient hardware ... I am sure they will consider it a feature, and call it "retro gaming" :j:

"Behold, as RR returns to it's OFP roots! Specially done to please the old fans!"

haha why would they even do that, failpoint 2 was soo bad and no-one bought it

haha why would they even do that, failpoint 2 was soo bad and no-one bought it

DR sold millions...

It just didn't live up to it, Perhaps something to do with those nice ingame videos from E3 2008 up to release? :p

DR sold millions...

It just didn't live up to it, Perhaps something to do with those nice ingame videos from E3 2008 up to release? :p

Sales != Value, at least for players.

What shows me more than anything else the value of both games, is theyr actual price on sales:

ArmA 2 in XFire Game Store: $39.99

XFire Rank: #53

Release date: 2009-6-26

OFP: DR in XFire Game Store: $19.99

XFire Rank: #366

Release date: 2009-10-6

On the long run, ArmA 2 is probably a big success while OFP: DR is just fail. And it isn't really rocket science to predict that RR will go down the ranks as fast as DR did.

Myke;1806990']And it isn't really rocket science to predict that RR will go down the ranks as fast as DR did.

The problem is the endless horde of young xbox gamers that continue to purchase arcade games like Red River. It may be a crap game but it will sell big.

Myke;1806990']Sales != Value' date=' at least for players.

What shows me more than anything else the value of both games, is theyr actual price on sales:

ArmA 2 in XFire Game Store: $39.99

XFire Rank: #53

Release date: 2009-6-26

OFP: DR in XFire Game Store: $19.99

XFire Rank: #366

Release date: 2009-10-6

On the long run, ArmA 2 is probably a big success while OFP: DR is just fail. And it isn't really rocket science to predict that RR will go down the ranks as fast as DR did.

Yeah, But he said that "no-one bought it", So I was refering to that.

And those millions of sales are the ONLY reason OFPRR exists.

DR sold millions...

Wasn't it 1.1 million sales across all platforms? At least thats what someone from codeshafters mentioned.

Thats actually not very good across 3 platforms.

My son has been telling me for the last several months ( with great amusement I might add ), that FPDR has been in the worst buys every month on some online xbox magazine thing he watches.

One of the reasons RR is being produced is so that the bean counters and investors can try and recoup on the huge development cost invested in DR.

Edited by Janxy

btw: Does anyone have some sales numbers of ArmA 2? At least approximative?

btw: Does anyone have some sales numbers of ArmA 2? At least approximative?
A BIS dev posted in the FPDR thread that units sold were higher than DR. I can't find the exact quote though atm.

Difference between Arma 2 and DR is that Arma 2 is still selling. DR might have sold a few million in it's short life span, but no one is buying it any more. Arma 2 on the other hand, with OA and the DLC, is still selling. ;)

A BIS dev posted in the FPDR thread that units sold were higher than DR. I can't find the exact quote though atm.

That's a pleasant surprise for me as I always assumed that us realistic milsim fanatics were a relatively small community compared to the xbox crowd.

I think the BIS dev said their original OFP sold more than that on PC alone. I don't think he mentionned figures for Arma 2 though. For the record, it's mentionned on Idea webpage that Arma 1 sold around 400.000 units.

I think it was Maruk who said they make millions of dollars off each game they release.

abliet arma or OFP.

Take Zippers words

Arma is still selling

Dragon crap aint and hasnt for the past 6 months.

I think the BIS dev said their original OFP sold more than that on PC alone. I don't think he mentionned figures for Arma 2 though. For the record, it's mentionned on Idea webpage that Arma 1 sold around 400.000 units.

The sales for OpF and OpF DR are comparable in number.

The big difference is the sales of the original came at a time when the market for computer games was only a fraction of what it is today.

In it's day OpF was a massive A list seller.

I think if you add all the sales from ArmA 1 and 2 you would be in about the right ball park for OpF DR sales.

They made plenty of money off that game. I expect them to make plenty more off the sequel. Just like BIS they are pumping out the expansions and sequels as fast as they can to make more.

But these are all B list titles at best these days. No platinum editions and GOTY's these days.

Which as a purely selfish gamer is probably a good thing. The last thing I want is for BIS to make so much money they can retire.

One of the many mistakes of Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising was that it was too caught up in the desensitised, intricate recreation and simulation of war. It focused on getting the bullet physics right,

Yeah... that force field was really authentic. FPDR

Guns are worn, patched things, with rubber bands and duct tape featuring heavily to make sure the red dot scope stays still while you’re lining up a headshot

Why not just tighten the screws?!

You’re still able to give detailed orders to make your advance clinical and assured, but you don’t have to break your thumbs to pull it off.

Case and point :)

Edited by Max Power

It focused on getting the bullet physics right, making sure that when a tank fired it rocked back just so. It forgot that these conflicts are fought by real people, not automatons.

Try looking at some of the documentaries of regular and SF units under fire by a real threat CM. What happens after making contact?

Take cover

Provide covering fire

Deal with threat

Nothing human about it. Merely a set of skills and drills instilled into the sub-conscience by months if not years of training the same things over and over again. Until either side folds, it's operant conditioning all the way. There is a bit of a difference between soldiers, since not even the best training is able to suppress all human traits of the individual under extreme stress, but not to the point where they turn into peaceloving potheads that conscientiously decide and refuse to kill the enemy. In combat, soldiers are automatons, they have to be to keep functioning when confronted with the things they experience. Emotions like regret and anger come much later, long after the soldier has returned home. winning hearts and minds (the human aspect) happens when not in combat, hard to win anyone over when you are in the process of blowing up somebody's house. You know, interaction with civilians, not the deserted collection of huts owned by people that had conveniently been evacuated far ahead of time for a conflict that no one saw coming, like on Skira.

Guns are worn, patched things, with rubber bands and duct tape featuring heavily to make sure the red dot scope stays still while you’re lining up a headshot.

That unit must be seriously underfunded. There are many professional items that one can buy both on the civilian and military markets that do the same thing, but much better. Using duct tape to hold your aimpoint in place? I always thought the rail and screws were meant to do that. Imagine Navy Seals or Force Recon equipped with state-of-the-art equipment, having weapons held together by duct tape. The era they used such field modifications in NATO was before the introduction of modable rifles through the application of rail systems like the M4, pre-1990s in all but the poorest NATO members. To patch something up while in the field until it can be replaced by a replacement part sure, but not as a means of improvement. Not in Codies' universe though ...

You’ve got a pair of fireteams flanking you, completing peripheral objectives while you set about your task. This provides you with some fire support, but it also brings you down to the level of the grunt on the ground, and away from the fallacy of the supersoldier.

This allows objectives to be far clearer, too, eliminating the directorial confusion of the previous game. You’ll have an overarching objective for the entire mission, a feel for what you’re trying to accomplish through the briefing, and then minute-to-minute communication with your squad leader, making sure you never get too confused and lost.

Making missions even easier, removing the need for the player to do anything at all. Confusion, not having a telepathic uplink with the rest of the units (communication is still done by radio, not by splashy HD screens that are updated in realtime), soldiers having to think for themselves, improvise. Clearly, CM is going hardcore on this one :j:

A bullet in the head is still a bullet in the head

Sion Lenton disagrees.

It breaks up the relentless brown that is so prominent in modern shooters

You know brown, it's the color of earth, sand. Quite dominant in all areas except for cities and the aquatic world. But that would be realism, so let's not go there.

This whole piece of drivel can be summed up by the following comment:

MartinJ says:

November 23, 2010 at 6:14 pm

Not so much “confused†as “paid forâ€, bro.

Edited by JdB

Thanks, but I'll rather wait for the Czech Eurogamer. IIRC they gave DR 4/10 and everybody called them biased. Then the game came out...

Don't forget why the gave it 4/10. It was because Jonáš thought it was too difficult and he couldn't get past 5th level.

Jonáš claimed it was just a problem of review version, in the second review of final version it got 8/10, IIRC.

That unit must be seriously underfunded. There are many professional items that one can buy both on the civilian and military markets that do the same thing, but much better. Using duct tape to hold your aimpoint in place? I always thought the rail and screws were meant to do that. Imagine Navy Seals or Force Recon equipped with state-of-the-art equipment, having weapons held together by duct tape. The era they used such field modifications in NATO was before the introduction of modable rifles through the application of rail systems like the M4, pre-1990s in all but the poorest NATO members. To patch something up while in the field until it can be replaced by a replacement part sure, but not as a means of improvement. Not in Codies' universe though ...

I'm much better funded than any soldier. I have rubber bands on my weapon holding on my silencer cowl (hand made by my mother).

I have duct tape holding on the remote switch to my IR illuminator. Glue holding on the remote switch to my tac light. (Which needs regluing quite commonly). I use tie wraps for keeping the wiring stowed away, although previously I have used tape.

I've damaged my Cobra red dot sight last week. Bah humbug. It's got screws but I am seriously thinking of reinforcing them with superglue.

Screws have a habit of becoming unscrewed. How wierd is that?