Undeceived

CM Operation Flashpoint 3 announced | "Oops, they're doing it again..."

The game got 2/5 on the Swedish site FragZone

Good:

* Epic scenery

* Long distances

* Well done co-op

Bad:

* Terrible resolution means invisible enemies at range (on XBOX)

* Extremely ridicilous campaign

* Inconsequent cover system

65/100 on peliplaneetta.net

Good:

Open areas

Class system with certain reservations

Bad:

AI

Mission design

Pseudorealism

"A pseudorealistic fps ruined by bad AI and mission design. Probably more fun with friends."

IGN also bashed new Medal Of Honor for "serious" campaign (the only really good thing in MoH)...

Plus IGN has been publishing exclusive RR stuff, so yeah... I guess You know where I'm heading.

Well, sometimes I don't really understand the reviews IGN publish. GTA IV got 10/10 for instance wich I've never understood. I have been playing the gta series since the release of the first, orginal gta, and I wouldn't give gta iv 10/10.

What really is intresting is that Rockstar gives exclusive reviews with pretty much tells the whole story; It's all goddamn business. They also blacklist sites such as Joystiq that gives them unfavorable reviews and/or previews.

The fact that arma 2 got a lower score than dragon rising is pretty depressing since most of the dra players are dissapointed with game and there's not many people that plays it nowdays compared to arma.

It goes to show that in the end should you listen to reviews to sway your judgement on purchasing it a game, it should be various reviews from people who have PLAYED the game and are not on any payroll pending their review, a good honest "This is good" or "This **** sucks".

Alternatively one can watched actual game footage rather than what they set release, to get an idea of how the game style is and wether or not you like it, rather than jumping on the "OMG THIS LOOKS GREAT" from day 1.

Now we just need one more 'sequel' and it can be the star wars prequels of computer and perhaps video games.

Codemasters should stick to car games......but for a little while i kinda enjoyed DR because it was a little something-something game to play while i wait for ArmAII patches :rolleyes:

The rating of games is nonsense anyway, most of the ratings make no sense. I wasn't the best student in school, and for something subpar/mediocre, I never got 7 or 8/10, if only. If it's published by EA, Activision or Ubisoft, you can bet that it will always get 8-10/10, 4-5/5 stars etc. The lower ratings (typically between 3/10 and 6/10 or 1-3/5 stars) are reserved for smaller developers/publishers, those who do not throw free trips, hotel rooms, alcohol and firing range visits their way. If 505 Games publishes the most revolutionary game in 10 years, it will get that low rating. If the exact same game is outsourced for publishing in the US to EA, it will get 10/10.

The IGN review is a good example. They keep repeating how you need to be careful when playing, since the enemy is dangerous (yeah, we saw that in the video of the rubbish player who fought like Rambo, and was hit like only 2-3 times in 10 minutes?), and when ArmA2 has AI that is actually dangerous unlike the RR muppets for which you "thankfully" have a Star Wars deflector shield, they call the difficulty level "insane", "unbeatable" etc. So it's pretty obvious who the real authors of such reviews are.

Edited by JdB

Eurogamer.cz

6/10

I care to guess that most people will be disgusted by the boring missions, the large amount of the pointless spoken bullshit and the weird combat experience. Even with those unforgivable problems you may find a few better bits but those aren't enough to save the game. You won't find anything more than a better average experience nor any kind of fundamental innovation. What you will find is something different from the stereotypical cliches with Call of Duty on point.

Well... not according to this guy,

eurogamer.net

8/10

"At its best, Red River surpasses Ubisoft's original Ghost Recons for squad-based tactical play. But it's the presentation of the story – not the broad-canvas story, but the story of four marines and their staff sergeant – that marks it out as something new. We still may be some way from the bite and nuance of Generation Kill, but in communicating the camaraderie, banter, fear and glory of modern warfare in the Middle East, nothing can touch this."

Reviews ay, full of it? i wonder if he even played it?

Edited by Katipo66

One reviewer goes on to call the dialog pointless bullshit while the other calls it the best ever. That's just priceless :lol:

You saw me hatin' bad on this game, yet, I have that bad curiosity for "it's probably gonna be shitty" stuff. And yep, I've played RR on mah friends console ("You can get any closer to milsim on modern consoles I guess") and I have to say... I'm suprised.

- On the least important thing: Gfx looks decent to me, Sfx is about the same as in Dragon Rising. Yet, I have to say: first two levels do look nice.

- Enemy AI suprised me here and there, they were aware of what's going on, but they weren't cheating (I managed to flank two of these). Friendly AI sucks a bit more, yet is still able of finding good spots to hide. Most of the time they don't get in Your way. Enemy is definetly better then the Delta Force dummies.

- The game is a bit less stiff then Dragon Rising, yet - gun handling is pretty bad. I guess it's better over time with in-game skills up and of course - with a mouse ;) Default M16 ROF in single shot is a bad joke.

- You can choose Your role, weapon, and equipment: FINALLY. And it's working pretty good. You can even pick up the AK47 or PKM lying by the dead insurgents body.

Now on to the bad things:

- The most annoying thing is the already mentioned here shipload of propaganda shit. Even chatrooms doesn't involve that amount of unecessary trashtalk and infantility. Major flaw.

- You can't issue orders while running (same as DR), unlike someone said here. It's a major flaw.

- Squad tactics sucks in my opinion. Running in the middle of the open and other controversial acts make me think Knox isn't really a "tactical expert".

- One guy I talked with said he had many problems with Red River on the PC with game freezing a lot every 2 seconds and stuff (possibly related to overclocking or more then 1 core stuff)

- Few scenes were stupid (first HMMWV killed by IED examinated few minutes), few scenes were so-CoDish (shipload of lead, tracers and spawned enemies), I saw one bug corrected by teleporting the player... and yeah. Here we are, my verdict.

I never thought I will say that, but...

It's not that bad. I can say more: Few small tweaks'n'fixes here and there and here we are: a really good game. If the SDK would be released, this would make the gap between CoD and OFP complete, I guess. It's pretty fun to play, at least for the Delta Force game series fan. The feeling is really better then in Dragon Rising.

And btw, one more thing: Remember Cpt. Rosenfield from the great Vietcong game? He's back :) CO issuing orders to Knox squad - sure as hell nice to hear that voice again.

Edited by JonPL

I'm still struggling to make it out, whether CM is a retarded group of people living in la-la-la of their own bullshit, or it's simply a cash cow; probably the latter, although it then suggests a level a cynicism on par with the creators of COD4.

But then again, they could've refined the gun animations, UI, HUD & scaling of detail for the PC port and sell millions of copies. Dum-di-dum-di-dum, doesn't compute with a profit model, unless there's 2 people working on the PC version as an afterthought.

Edited by Iroquois Pliskin

although it then suggests a level a cynicism on par with the creators of COD4.

Call of Duty 4 was a gamble that succeeded. A bit later Activision fired Infinity Ward's senior bosses and the following games followed CoD4's concept to the letter.

my roommate is... umm... aquiring it right now :p

I'll post screenshots and a lollsworthy lol when it's done. I saw a quick review on G4 when I was eating lunch and I laughed when they were interviewing Sion Lenton :D

PC GAMER - 45/100

EU EUROGAMER - 8/10

Both make fascinating reading.

...In other news, we also like launch trailers

Launch Trailer Was Here

Best,

RiE

I saw that trailer earlier today on Facebook. I think it was a really well done trailer and I liked the old school OFP music in it... the real OFP music.

Ontopic- I don't see myself buying this or encouraging anyone else to.

It's not that bad.

Exactly, it's not as bad as anyone makes it out to be...

troll.gif

It's even worse than DR and that has to be an achievement.

Had the "pleasure" to play the "PC version" a bit (no, not on my PC, I will never install another CM product on my PC again)..

Honestly, it's PC version; it says in the starting screen the following "When the spinner appears don't turn off your PC" and "Press Return"....

I was awestruck, I set the graphics settings (yes, it has some of those, more than Crysis 2) to highest possible and the game had stuttery FPS in the first mission which you begin after the butt-awful intro (you can't skip) because it has like 10 tents showing. It had like 1/84649 of the object count and 1/8736489324658734587 of the poly count of Chernarus and they manage to make it stutter FPDR

Oh, and do I need to mention that the graphics are hideous. So it's like Crysis 2 in that regard, xbox360 textures and models.. I think the first Hitman looks about the same (if not better). I think even DR looked better than this one.

I wonder how they got the stuttering achieved..

What they achieved next was that I want to strangle the hollywood actor who has loaned his face and voice to the staff sergeant/leutenant/general/god/president or what ever the hell he is (it seems to change every other minute) because he rants constantly something about some motherfuckers fucking something up his motherfucking SOB's ass for motherfucking all fucking day fuck SOB (I have no idea what he's talking about, I had to watch some TV while he was ranting because I just couldn't take it).

Every single time you're in transit, and sometimes while during a mission (I have to admit though I didn't play very far).

Which by the way is really annoying because you can't issue any orders while someone is speaking some scripted dialogue, or if anyone else is speaking into the radio, period. :rolleyes:

Radio chatter also gets cut-off constantly, dunno why, maybe some radio messages have higher priority than others or something..

Also, you all have seen the intro video posted by the guy who couldn't hit anything. Well, seriously, the in-game dialogue is the same embarrassing crap.. "Douchebags, 9 o'clock", "dropped that fucker" "Taji asshole down" type of stuff.

I don't mind swearing myself but somehow they have managed to make it so incredibly cheesy it's just .. well... embarrassing really.

By the way, can't understand why the guy couldn't hit anything. While the game seems to have bullet drop (which is mentioned by the staff godsergeantgeneral and some text between missions) it doesn't have any other ballistic properties so you don't need to take much of advance when firing at moving targets ([edit] well, it after all has these properties but not very well done [/edit]). I could just point in a vicinity of a target I saw, fire and there would be a 78 gallon blood cloud and some remark of a dead motherfucker on the radio (I'm beginning to think that Sion or someone else on the dev team has Oidipus complex).

And I had sticky aim and aim assistance turned off.

What the hell are these even, some console lameness? I guess with those enabled you only have to run and press the "fire-weapon" button and the "game" does everything else for you..

The AI is just laughable both friendly and enemy. Even worse than in DR..

I think the friendly AI is even scripted not to die, not sure..

And I think the bullet cone around the player is at least twice as big as in DR, I couldn't get killed by enemy fire even if I tried (I played on higher than normal diffculty).

The AI even bugs out which I find peculiar since it's not at all complex, not in any way. For example at one point I couldn't continue a mission because for some reason one of my AI guys wouldn't board a vehicle because he was determined to defend a building no matter what I ordered him to do. Then I healed him with the "press-enter-magic-heal-bag" and after that he slowly started to give up on the house..

I know BIS AI does similar buggin's as this but it is about 800 times more advanced AI so one shouldn't be surprised..

The missions have completely rediculous limits, like we had to fight a endless spawning enemy at some bridge and I went and walked along the bridge and suddenly the camera I'm apparently looking the game through started to pixelate and I died without any message as to why (and layed there for like a minute before the "death screen" came up). Apparently I walked along a wrong bridge, I should have crossed a smaller bridge next to the one I tried to cross....

Seriously, CWC and Resistance looked better and had larger areas and better AI than this rediculous piece of software. In the videos CM has released prior to the release of this game not one spoken word is true, except maybe the MP parts because didn't test those (not my cup of tea). I don't get how that is even legal...

Even though I'm not a "graphics whore" this game is really something, the only thing that has some detail to it is the weapon that is stuck to your eye. Everything else is straight from the games of the year 2000.

Note that this has nothing to do with them using the OFP name, it is just the fact the game is simply pure feces. Under any circumstances DO NOT BUY RR.

Never.

Not even from a discount bin.

Lenton talked about fun in many of the interviews and videos, well I'd hate to see what is not fun to him because RR certainly is boring..

Now, on to the few positives :p

- It seems you're no longer a midget so the FOV is a tad more reasonable.

- I could swear I saw this happening once: when a team mate of mine moved across my LOF he actually said something like "Moving into your line of fire" before doing that. Although better would obviously be if the guy wouldn't even move across your LOF (*hint hint* BIS ;) )

- The three last bullets in your assault rifle magazine are tracer bullets so you know you have run out of ammo. Dunno if that's realistic at all but it's kinda clever. Then again it doesnt really matter because the weapons auto-reload..

- Possibility to order the AI team to do specific things like "defend that building". They would (occationally) actually do pretty believable stuff, as in set themselves up quite nicely to good firing positions etc. (again, *hint hint* BIS)

- Even though this was clearly scripted behaviour for a specific mission setting exiting a vehicle under fire was pretty good, the AI would not just jump to wedge formation but they would actually cower behind the vehicle (in regard to the in coming fire). Again, *hint hint* BIS..

One big minus is they removed the pretty nice feature of being able to aim over a cover (of appropriate height). One thing from DR that I wish was in Arma 2/OA (*ducks and covers form the flak*)

Edited by h -

@Reinforcements Trailer: Not enough swearing -not authentic.

@RR Players: Not calling anyone out for fibbing but how is that you all have friends and roomates who went out and bought the game immediately :rolleyes: Just happen to be mates with the 9 CM forum diehards eh?

:p

Game looks boring and repetitive as well as Martian.

my roommate is... umm... aquiring it right now :p

I'll post screenshots and a lollsworthy lol when it's done. I saw a quick review on G4 when I was eating lunch and I laughed when they were interviewing Sion Lenton :D

We expect it to be on par with this:

Crw4jBk0Z2A

Check out 1:01 - :cc::computer::smiley-biggrin:

The Reinforcements Trailer is really well done, congrats to whoever made it!

I especially like the Huge "FUN" at the End. A really nice answer to CM^^

Not calling anyone out for fibbing but how is that you all have friends and roomates who went out and bought the game immediately

Well, dunno how the guy got it to be honest (never saw the actual game covers :p), all I know he told me that the game has actually a product key this time..

I can understand that he got RR because he kinda liked DR no matter how I debated with him..

Edited by h -

I wonder if it was entirely coincidence that the Reinforcements trailer was released today... ;)

Very epic trailer indeed, and it's also nice to see Red River get a score it deserves.