Sign in to follow this  
Undeceived

CM Operation Flashpoint 3 announced | "Oops, they're doing it again..."

Would you be happier if they released totally bugged game and had to patch it two years to make it playable?

I don't really get why everyone here thinks that patching is actually something good and releasing a flawless game that doesn't need more than 2 patches is bad...:rolleyes:

Due to the open nature of BIS games it will never be flawless. I believe that releasing a buggy game has hurt BIS definitely in bad promotion and sales.

I have not found any other wargame that can compete with the freedom of how to play the ArmA series. In any case I know already what I am up to when I purchase a BIS game. I know that I won't find all the polish from the beginning. But I know also that I will get support as long as the company exists. :)

I can't say the same of CM.

kind regards

I played the real Operation Flashpoint recently, 10 years old and still delivering!

I dont think i would get 10 days from RR, probably not even 10 hours...

I would try the game if developers thought it was cool to release demos again. :rolleyes:

Until such time I will have to form my opinion on the game from credible & reliable sources, friends of mine who've played it, and my own view of the game. So far, all arrows point to P.O.S.

i'm playing it right now and i'm looking past the flaws and looking at game-play alone and its kinda fun

---------- Post added at 10:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:25 AM ----------

Negative, he's not. Your shooting skills/accuracy is better when you pass the shooting range.

Not a bad idea in general, but of course screwed up as pretty much everything they did since DR.

theres no shooting range in that game

Would you be happier if they released totally bugged game and had to patch it two years to make it playable?
I guess You're not talking about ArmA 2? Because that doesn't sound like ArmA 2 case at all.

Even [imo] crappy ArmA 1 wasn't that bad.

And btw, my friend who got it on PC have RR unplayable until he manually re-sets the CPU-usage stuff. Plus game have its own bugs and flaws. It's nowhere flawless. So don't post BS, kthx ;]

and yes, Myke have a valid point.

theres no shooting range in that game
First chapter of the game.

I guess You're not talking about ArmA 2? Because that doesn't sound like ArmA 2 case at all...Plus game have its own bugs and flaws. It's nowhere flawless. So don't post BS, kthx ;].

I wasn't talking directly about RR or ArmA. I was talking generaly about approach of this community to necessity of support and patches. I don't think that patches are always something good, I prefer games that don't have patches because they don't need them. That was my point.

btw: I don't have ArmA 2, just ArmA, and I had to use endmission cheats even few years after release and with gigabytes of patches. On the other hand, I play Dragon Rising in 1.0 version without any problem and that famous lack of support doesn't really bother me at all.

Support meaning offering of mod tools and possibly explanation of how to use them as well as promotion of modifying the game to what the user wants and seeing what they can create. DR took the opposite path and locked down their files a few patches in.

btw: I don't have ArmA 2, just ArmA, and I had to use endmission cheats even few years after release and with gigabytes of patches. On the other hand, I play Dragon Rising in 1.0 version without any problem and that famous lack of support doesn't really bother me at all.

Yah well unambitious corridor shooters shouldn't need more than a couple of patches (at most).

Got the "pleasure" to play RR a bit more today (just to see if there was anything that would redeem it) and I have to amend a couple of things from my original (and maybe stupid) rant:

- Aim over cover is still there, just didn't notice it earlier

- The are some "ballistics" to the projectiles but somehow it feels to be quite off of what it should be. The weapons are way too inaccurate IMO.

But there really is nothing awesomelly good in the game, although it appears to be a tad better than DR just because it doesn't even try to be a real OFP, it's just CM's shooter using the DR mold. Lenton's "more focused" is quite correct in that regard.

But the game is dumb, dull and boring. I guess the only positive thing is that it doesn't have aliens in it :rolleyes:

Still wouldn't buy it, or recommend anyone to buy it either.

Although what does that matter, CM is probably already "coding" the next one...

Edited by h -

Isn't that trolling?

Kid, it's not our problem your parents won't buy you a decent $800 PC to run anything of worth. I was playing Armed Assault years ago, maxed out on P4 @ 3.2, 512 MB of RAM & GF 6800 GT. ;)

There's no doubt that Arma in buggy as hell. But here's the diffrence; BIS actually release patches and try to resolve the problems their fans encounter.

Codemasters and this ultra idiot Sion Lenton do quite the opposite. Like when they stated that they were 'done' with the dragon rising project dispite all it's flaws and problem. This dipshit asscrap shit, Sion Lenton, even stated when asked about future support in forms of patches that: ''*sigh*Yeah, let's hope so. That's the way it should be, really. And you know, in an ideal world that's what you wanna do basicly, but you know, we do what we can.''

This douce should be banned permanently from working in the gaming industry. He can't be trusted. And sadly enough, there are no consequenses for his behaviour.

What he's saying in that quote sounds like 'I don't have the authority to make any promises on that issue'.

I wasn't talking directly about RR or ArmA. I was talking generaly about approach of this community to necessity of support and patches. I don't think that patches are always something good, I prefer games that don't have patches because they don't need them. That was my point.

I could see your point if CM's games were actually bringing something RE:Quality/innovation -to the table, but they didn't. To insinuate that a low quality product trumps a genre defining product due to it's lack of a need for patches is flawed logic.

That's like me saying the little wood cabin I built in the woods is superior to the 16th Chapel as it requires less maintenence. You have to be on even or at least similar footing to even start making those comparisons.

I would also argue that DR seriously required many patches to get it remotely close to the vision they had been selling us. To simply leave it as is and move on proclaiming "perfect! No need for patching" is boggling.

Can't you all let this thread die? OFP: Red River did not exceed the expectations. It was not a great game. Nothing to cry for 422 pages.

Just wait for Metacritic to open it doors to users reviews, My guess this game is headed for a user review score of around the 40's :)

Can't you all let this thread die? OFP: Red River did not exceed the expectations. It was not a great game. Nothing to cry for 422 pages.

More than likely, it will never end until closed.

...is superior to the 16th Chapel ....

Gotta love that predictive text. :cancan: Or do they call it that around your parts (since it would be the direct translation from Italian)?

Edited by Richey79

Totally man. Technically we are playing Operation flashpoint 3 :D

The new series is just a game with a familiar name. Who cares what CM's claims were or are. Its not Operation Flashpoint!

Those who were there know, the rest who weren't and don't understand should not question anyone's dislike of the game. As its not about game play really.

Remember bad press is still press...

But the game is dumb, dull and boring. I guess the only positive thing is that it doesn't have aliens in it :rolleyes:

If they add aliens to the shooter with patch #3 i'll buy it just because :D

Odd i found Bohemian writen on this in-game article below

unled2jd.jpg

Wonder what the rest of the article says.

Bohemian means a lot of things. Bohemia Interactive is the first time I've ever heard the word reference the actual region of Bohemia in English usage.

This thread looks quite the clusterfuck. My impressions having just completed Red River (for some background, I love original OFP, I think Arma series is fairly lacking and over-rated, I thought Dragon Rising was soulless and empty, I didn't kid myself that this would be any different or have the slightest chance of being like OFP1):

My copy arrived today. Done about 4 missions. My spidey-sense is anticipating a very short campaign that cuts off mid-story.

It's better than I expected. Going by the trailers I thought it'd be worse than the previous one but it's a marked improvement. I didn't hold any hopes for any relation to the BIS original and neither should you. It's very close to the new Medal of Honour SP campaign, except it's wider open terrain (don't mistake that for free-roaming) and long-distance engagements. No boring special forces teams on their own, instead you're with large scale marine engagements like in the original OFP.

The AI's never lived long enough to show any behaviour but I get the feeling that if you "played" with it it'd would be exceedingly stupid. This is the intentionally "dumber" militia, have yet to meet the Chinese.

Graphics suck. Really bad LOD, vehicles are a handful of polygons onces they're 10m away.

I hope the campaign contains enough XP points for you to unlock most of the class perks instead of banking on you doing some MP missions inbetween.

Characterisation is... weird. It flips between cynical Three Kings style portrayl of war & army to propaganda-esque all the time. I can't tell if it's all meant to be ironic but it's coming across as serious or if it's all meant to be serious but is so OTT it's coming across as ironic. Three times the RoE are mentioned, and every time your CO manages to say "Don't you dare shoot a civilan" and "Mission RoE are to shoot even if they're unarmed and are just unlucky enough to approach you" in the same breath. Lots of slang that is more at home in forums. "Oh, snap", "Go America, it's ya birthday", "This is not Pandora, and you are not some weird blue cat-like fucker". First game I know of to use "faggot" unironically. Even in games like GTA they used it to show how everyone in its universe were low-down hoodlums.

And I have to say I fucking hate Knox. He's a rip-off of Jamie Foxx from Jarhead and he's the voice in your ear telling you where to go. And he never fucking shuts up about his 10 rules. These rules are tutorial stuff listed in the manual (Rule 1: reload often, rule 2: stick with your team, rule 3: account for bullet drop, etc). Multiple times in missions he will yell about them to your whole team. "Remember rules 2 and 7!", "You DID. NOT. FOLLOW. MY. FUCKING. RULES!" He's only 1 rank above you and he acts like he founded the Marine Corps. I hope he catches a bullet.

But despite all that, currently gameplay is on par with MoH, if you liked that sort of thing (I didn't).

Finished it. Fairly anticlimactic. It gets good in the middle and then goes bad again.

AI is non-existent. They make it up by chucking a lot of enemies at you. About triple what you saw even in the most hectic missions in Dragon Rising. Friendly AI insists on walking in your line of fire even when you're on a turret.

Weapon selection is very disappointing. M4s and M16s throughout. It feels slightly cheating to use the sniper rifles because they're so insta-death. You know that sniper movie they show in Inglorious Basterds? It's like that.

Most out of the blue reference goes to Knox saying "It's like Jack O'Neill and the Replicators" when descrbing your mission to you.

Knox also gives this lol-worthy speech at the end about the horrors of war. I found a way to shut him up - voice volume set to zero and subtitles turned off equals blissful silence.

5.9/10

This thread looks quite the clusterfuck. My impressions having just completed Red River (for some background, I love original OFP, I think Arma series is fairly lacking and over-rated, I thought Dragon Rising was soulless and empty, I didn't kid myself that this would be any different or have the slightest chance of being like OFP1):

Jack O'Neil and Replicators

5.9/10

How dare they mention a great show like Stargate in their crappy game!

Bohemian means a lot of things. Bohemia Interactive is the first time I've ever heard the word reference the actual region of Bohemia in English usage.

Yeah, "Bohemian" refers to any kind of unusual lifestyle, usually practiced by artists, etc. Such as living with your peers and spending your whole days painting stuff, that sort of thing.

I bought it, its a decent game.

No where near ArmA2, but only a retard would have thought it would be. With DR i think they really did start out thinking they could match BIS, but yeah...in the end they failed hard and they know it. At least this time they didnt attempt to lie about what the game was going to be, it ended up being pretty much what i was expecting.

The only thing im having trouble swallowing is the constant bashing the game gets on this forum (with even the mods joining in). It seems very immature and counter productive, this is the only 'AAA' FPS in the last few years ive seen try to take a step back towards the kind of play we were used to with OGR etc, its a step in the right direction (albeit a tentative step) and it puzzles me that its met with such hostility.

The only thing im having trouble swallowing is the constant bashing the game gets on this forum (with even the mods joining in). It seems very immature and counter productive, this is the only 'AAA' FPS in the last few years ive seen try to take a step back towards the kind of play we were used to with OGR etc, its a step in the right direction (albeit a tentative step) and it puzzles me that its met with such hostility.

If it was called anything but Operation Flashpoint 3, people would be congratulating it for keep the tactical shooter alive on consoles, possibly increasing interest in realistic games and perhaps Arma 2.