Sign in to follow this  
BoxiouS

Small arms firing from vehicles. Would you like to see it implemented?

Small arms firing from vehicles. Would you like to see it implemented?  

289 members have voted

1. 1. Small arms firing from vehicles. Would you like to see it implemented?

• Yes, it would be cool.
    • No, it would suck.
    • No, and it would actually promote carfulls of rambo Bf2 types.
    • Don't care either way because i would never use it.

Just wondering if anyone else would like to see this feature. As in Generation Kill, being able to stick your chosen one out of the window when you are a passenger in a vehicle. Rather than just sitting there with your hands on your lap (including the driver:rolleyes:) enabling you to defend your vehicle from threats when on the move, but more importantly being able to take out a target when one pops into view without having to select 'get out' then get your bearings, and then take out the target. (or get shot)

I think it would be cool. Do you agree? is it too BF2, do you think it would actually hurt the game? Or is it something that you'd never use, so don't care either way?

Definitely. AI drivers are docile, slow-witted creatures with no sense of self-preservation. They ignore enemy infantry and lack the driving skills to escape in time anyway. Standing in the path of a speeding Ural truck filled with men is one of the safest places in Chernarus, and it breaks immersion. If a few of the passengers could send some inaccurate fire your way, it would fix the problem.

This belongs in the Suggestion Forum, but I do think it would be a decent idea. Some vehicles, such as the Russian BMP2/3, have gunports so the passengers can shoot outside if I remember correctly in real life, and I remember a discussion about this back in the OFP days, and I can't remember why it was decided that the community didn't want it.

I think the entire suggestions forum should be closed. There is nothing to suggest other than patch improvements, after all BIS are not developing another Arma title for an unkown amount of time.

They are "taking a break".

There have been topics and discussions about this before Armed Assault was released, and there where a lot before ArmA II was released, but a good implemention doesn't seem to be possible with the current engine but I do believe we all would like to have this 'freedom' to do so even if most if not 99% of your ammo is wasted while doing so.

I voted Yes, it would be cool

but I think we urgently need female soldiers and correct animation and vehicle position for female civs

even if they don't like combat roles for females

we should have nurses, corpsman(f) and pilots

I want my choppers with female pilots god d@mm!+ ! <- j/k

:bounce3: I want this mod. It would certainly make motorised patrols more effective.

Voted yes as when it comes to it, it is simply more realistic that you be given the option to fire out of a vehicle. Doesn't VBS2 also feature this? And isn't Arma2 using a lot of VBS2 features already? Then I would imagine it would be possible.

I think the entire suggestions forum should be closed.

IMHO it's a Catch-22. BIS just needs to make a more clear distinction between forums....

99% of "suggestions" could/should be handled with mods. There are very few requests that fall into the realm of the developer (ie: bug fixes, finishing things that are already in-game, etc).

BIS provided the core game PLUS they provided us with the editor/tools to mod this game as we wish. Most of the people new to the community have not grasped that concept yet. They are used to asking the developer: "please add <insert any request here>".

BIS could move the "suggestion" forum down to "mod discussions/suggestions" and things would be a lot more on track. If somebody wants "purple humvees"...that's a mod. If somebody wants a certain weapon added, that's a mod. If somebody wants a new snow-covered island, it's a mod.

I guess my point is, there starts to be a grey area with "suggestions" when we have so much freedom with a game such as ArmA2. To the point where Richie is likely correct....the suggestion forum is pointless because it lacks direction.

Most of the suggestions that I've read could realistically be broken down into:

1) what would you like to see somebody create as a (player-created) mod?

2) what would you like to see in five years as (developer-made) ArmA3 content?

Of course, none of the above applies to the things that *I* want....

;p

This can be done easily through modding

but i'm sure we all prefer a bug free variant from BI itself ...

what ? :D

I've always wanted to see this since riding on the littlebird's skids. I know you wouldn't hit much, but you never know. Also, doesn't the BMP2/3 have portholes so the soldiers can shoot from inside? That would be sweet! Then you wouldn't feel so damn helpless if you get ambushed and it turns into a bullet magnet

This would be amazing to add. Firing out the windows of your humvee during an ambush is a real and used military tactic. It even made an appearance in the latest vbs2 version. It wouldn't be a super effective strategy for taking on a town, but in a pinch it could be very useful.

Standing in the path of a speeding Ural truck filled with men is one of the safest places in Chernarus,

LOL. That's my new sig.

Sakura_Chan and what about AI? There are vehicles with 3-4 mgs but the AI wasnt able to target and fire at enemies with more than one mg. It seems to me that people are thinking its easy to aim + hit a (moving) unit from a vehicle which is moving too. Or would you like to fire from vehicles with 360° arcady steady aim? Would you like to see more Rambos firing from all vehicles or would you like to see a proper and believable implementation?

This is definitely needed, hope it will be in AH.

I'm guessing there would have to be some serious code changes to have the game calculate the trajectory of a bullet fired from a vehicle that could be going, for example, 35 mph.

Think of how accurate your fire is when you're running laterally to your target. Never really hit anything? Yeah, me neither. Now decrease that accuracy by a factor of about 5 and you've probably got a good idea of the accuracy you're going to get.

If the devs implemented this, I think a better name for the game would be Drunken Redneck Rampage. :D

I've played some of my best games while drunk!

I'm guessing there would have to be some serious code changes to have the game calculate the trajectory of a bullet fired from a vehicle that could be going, for example, 35 mph.

Think of how accurate your fire is when you're running laterally to your target. Never really hit anything? Yeah, me neither. Now decrease that accuracy by a factor of about 5 and you've probably got a good idea of the accuracy you're going to get.

If the devs implemented this, I think a better name for the game would be Drunken Redneck Rampage. :D

That's always been in.

what about AI? There are vehicles with 3-4 mgs but the AI wasnt able to target and fire at enemies with more than one mg.
In Arma1, the units can only fire at a target that the main gunner can see, so if the gunner is facing forward the passenger seat guy will simultaneously engage targets while the tailgate gunner tries to turn around. In Arma2, using the vodnak (sp?) car as an example, the gunners facing front AND back are able to fire independently. Another difference is that in Arma1 AI would not board the seats of secondary guns (even on the stock vehicles like the uh-60) but in Arma2 this has apparently been fixed. I haven't tried it, but you could actually switch between being a normal passenger and going to gunner mode using the turn in/turn out system. heck you could even roll down the window because there is a 'hatch' animation associated with it.

If it doesn't appear in ARMA2 i'd like to see it in ACE2 to add some realism and freedom, I still remember the boats in ARMA1, all the characters were posing as if they were ready to shoot, but you were completely stationary

Firing from vehicles would be cool, and it would make me have far fewer reservations about climbing into a Humvee. However, many humvees and other military vehicles have bullet resistant glass. It would be kind of difficult to fire through. I would like to see it implimented, but only if it was implimented in a realistic way.

Hmmm...what about those Cobras firing their cannon at 150 mph?:)