Sign in to follow this  
-Total-

Sahrani Official Port To A2/OA?

As much as I like Takistan and Chernarus, I often find myself missing the diversity and versatility of Sahrani from ArmA 1.

I know that Sahrani has been user-ported to A2, but my group strives to run our server in a "no mods required" mode so people don't have to download addons in order to join it.

Just a note from several of us to BIS that, if it wouldn't take a complete redo of the entire map, Sahrani in A2 would be prime :)

While not based upon a definite geopgraphic part of the real world, it was so well thought out that it easily believable.

A Sahrani release without a million different mod folders to achieve it would be grand.

Lol, then what would be the point in selling ArmA? :rolleyes:

Instead of "just porting" Sahrani into CO it would be imho better to create new + much better and authentic Sahrani (Holiday) Islands.

but my group strives to run our server in a "no mods required" mode so people don't have to download addons

If people are not willing to download addons they should not complain about vanilla CO islands.

The problem with doing that is it creates the potential to break missions made for ArmA's Sahrani when they're inevitably ported to the new one, unless you make specific precautions to not change the island so much.

Ok forgot to add "and missions/campaigns" between -Sahrani- and -into- and make new + much better and authentic Sahrani bold :D

But I doubt that the sales for an "A1+QG-to-CO port" DLC will be profitable. People only replay missions/campaigns if those missions/campaigns are really good. Otherwise they get bored quite fast because of "boring" and predictable ("hollywoodish") mission design.

I think we can do a lot better than Sahrani. Maybe I'll tell too much, but similiar themed island is already deep in the works....

IceBreakr - you mean real good + authentic looking holiday islands, with plausible placed objects, proper + working road network and enjoyable beaches and babes? :sol:

I think we can do a lot better than Sahrani. Maybe I'll tell too much, but similiar themed island is already deep in the works....

I would normally say that is impossible, to make an island better than Sahrani, it's easily my favorite BIS island...

But when it is said by Icebreakr, I believe it. :)

another vote here for BIS to bring the old sarhani map into arma 2.

NOT a new version (and not UNITED version) that would break all old missions...just port the arma1 regular version of the island. Also would love to see an official BIS Southern Sarhani.

Would really like to see this, and feel it was a mistake to not include it in the first place when arma 2 originally released!

I vote for a A2 Sahrani release too, it's a great map with lots of diversity, maybe not strictly realistic but great for just about any kind of mission.

In fact I would buy it as an official DLC.

Yeah, while playing A1 I didn´t care that much with Sahrani, but now i miss it. It is a great map indeed.

I think using the heightmap or whatever it is would be good, but I doubt a direct port would be something BIS would consider.

I still enjoy playing Sahrani under OA, using CAA1. Never played A1, so dont know what, if any difference there is.

There have been many A1 missions ported to A2/CAA1 though...

That said, Icebreakr saying theres something better in the works makes me drool ! Ive spent many enjoyable hours on his maps (Isla Duala and Lingor mostly), and look forward to anything he says is good.

---------- Post added at 02:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:09 PM ----------

By the way, OP -- by 'no mods required', you mean you only run Chernarus and Takistan and not any of the other excellent maps available out there ?

A real shame to make an arbitrary rule like that - you are missing /alot/.

---------- Post added at 02:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:11 PM ----------

A Sahrani release without a million different mod folders to achieve it would be grand.

You get Sahrani, Rahmadi, Porto in 2 folders -- OAC_Core and CAA1.

I think yall are making too much out of this, as the A1 maps are easily runnable with no hassle.

[/color]By the way, OP -- by 'no mods required', you mean you only run Chernarus and Takistan and not any of the other excellent maps available out there ?

A real shame to make an arbitrary rule like that - you are missing /alot/.

You get Sahrani, Rahmadi, Porto in 2 folders -- OAC_Core and CAA1.

I think yall are making too much out of this, as the A1 maps are easily runnable with no hassle.

If downloading two mod folder trees with an external application is no hassle, I don't know what is. All other maps are provided in directly downloadable single packages that contain the map and possible object addons.

Edited by Celery

If I recall correctly, though, the AI can't use the roads, some buildings are sunk into the ground or missing, and ladders don't work. So there's still a little hassle involved with the current version out there, for mission makers mainly it seems.

I know of a few people who would be interested in purchasing an official Sahrani. As much flak as that island took when it first came out, I think a lot of people really enjoyed it.

If downloading two mod folder trees with an external application is no hassle, I don't know what is. All other maps are provided in directly downloadable single packages that contain the map and possible object addons.

well... its no hassle with Yoma.

I used Yoma just to re-d/l CAA1 (troubleshooting an issue) -- and while the format is strange after download, I just put all the caa1 addons in a single caa1/addons folder, and same for oac_core.

---------- Post added at 06:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:43 PM ----------

If I recall correctly, though, the AI can't use the roads, some buildings are sunk into the ground or missing, and ladders don't work. So there's still a little hassle involved with the current version out there, for mission makers mainly it seems.

Zipper: AI used to have an issue with roads and bridges. I believe that was fixed -- as I have AI driving the roads fine.

Not sure if the bridges were fixed, but Ive had no trouble running Warfare...

Not sure if the bridges were fixed, but Ive had no trouble running Warfare...

was just wondering...which version of Warfare have you been using on Sahrani?