British Troops DLC released & Official 1.01 Update

Are you buying the DLC?  

1112 members have voted

1. 1. Are you buying the DLC?

• Yes
    • No
    • I'm not sure
    • I'm waiting for the price to drop

can't believe people are still complaining about paying 10 bucks wow. but there's only like 40 people who voted no on the dlc. But still this is a shame 10 buck a ticket to the movies cost more and you can't keep that for ever. I will pick this DLC up and I'm not even a fan of the Brits army. I just sent 10 dollars at jack an a box today. These people are trying to feed there family's just like the rest of us. Some of you should be embarrassed for coming on here and even tilling people the price is to much.

almost everyone on this forum has dropped at least $500 into a new rig to play this game... i think you can afford ten bucks. Plus, look at the ration of people who are going to buy, or are unsure if they are going to buy, to the people who know they arent going to buy in the polls. Its like the republicans, a hopelessly stupid, yet impossibly vocal party.

Sorry, but do you work for BIS? Oh no, you don't!

So shut the hell up with your stupid comments. It sounds to me like you are somehow jealous?

In short, this sums up your post:

Well, Mr Smarty pants, lets not forget who designed the game in the first place. I am sure the staff at BIS will be laughing at your stupid post for many years.

Actually, many modders can, and do, do better. Bohemia does research, but they have to manage the cost of that research, and how long it would take to reproduce an exact replica of *blank* object. Also, their developers work to get paid, to make a living. There is no... "passion" in that most of the time. (No offense to anyone at BIS of course) Whereas community addon makers do it for fun, because they want to see *blank* object in the game, and they want every little detail to be correct. Some addon makers actually make a living selling models, and they create models for ArmA as a hobby/ for fun/ or because they can.

Basically, community addon makers focus on details and exact specifications because the community fusses over them. BIS, while they do support the community, and they do try and get things right, have to make these things to make money, so they can make other things. It's the circle of life, and in my opinion, the circle we have here is 100x better than others (EA for instance).

Edited by Darkhorse 1-6

richiespeed13 and Prydain

Take your difficulties to PM where you don't bother the rest of the community with it.

Edited by W0lle

i don't understand why people are going nuts over inaccuracies

operation arrowhead takes place in 2012... right?

or does it not?

and if i am not mistaken, operation arrowhead takes place in the armaverse.. right?

I think mentioning the Armaversum was one of the smartest things BIS has ever done.

Looks like a majority of people will be buying it too.

What if this British pack was included with Operation Arrowhead and it was priced for $49.99 would you have still purchased it? Get over it. This is the Armaverse, not real world, Operation Arrowhead is set in the future as someone else said.

Yes it does indeed say free updates. This content pack isn't considered an update because it doesn't update anything, just adds new units. Updates will still be free. Any engine improvements included with DLC will also be released as a patch for the vanilla Operation Arrowhead. The reason the community hasn't charged for addons and mods is because of the fact that they aren't allowed to.

BIS isn't screwing anybody over, how are they screwing you over? Your not forced to purchase this DLC, it was never promised to be in the original game.

I can't believe people are getting so pissy over $10 measly dollars. I work part time and can afford to purchase new games. (With the recent steam sale, I purchased ArmA 2 for a second time and roughly 30 other new games), I pay bills and pay subscriptions(netflix, hulu, various magazines), yet can somehow manage a measly $10. $10 is nothing these days.

Yes i would have Dice. But it's the concept of DLC. It's "cheesy and low class". BI hasn't done this until now.

So, BI loses $10 from me.

and don't tell me to "get over it"

its not weather you can afford it for me, its a matter of being able to get it (aka I don't buy online) and thus its useless but would cause issues for players such as myself who cant play with something they cant purchase (refering to missions requiring it or mods).

what's with the boo hoo crap Nod? childish.

I can surely afford this, but that is not the point.

I think your childish for complaining about something you don't have to buy.

How does it show what they think of the community? The CEO is here posting, most of the BIS team comes here and posts here with us. What does that show what BIS thinks of the community. They release free patches, if they felt like ripping off the community, they wouldn't release patches at all or would charge for them. They also care so much that the CEO came here to say that any engine updates included with the DLC (Paid or Free DLC) will be included as a patch for the vanilla version of the game for all to enjoy.

They've released tons of free content in the past for their games, they also said they'll be releasing free DLC for Operation Arrowhead. How else do you recommend they make money? Besides releasing a new game every year.

Edited by Nicholas

The price they wanted for it in the first place.

So if you thought Arrowhead didn't already have enough in it why did you buy it?

I just want to thank BIS here for the DLC pack, I'm not British, but this will probably motivate some Brits to get into the mission editor when all their military's kit is in there, which means more missions for me!

I've seen lots of DLC offers, and this has got to be the best value for my money that I've seen, ever. I've seen 7 bucks for a set of armor and a quest, five bucks for horse armor, 10 bucks for 3 multiplayer maps.

I'd buy more packs like this, too, if BIS kept releasing them. Just make it as good a value proposition as the first one, and I've got no qualms shelling out the ten bucks every couple of months.

I'm pretty sure he's not a little kid, just likes to gripe about little deviations that don't matter.

Don't purchase it if it disappoints you, don't sit here and complain about it, just get over it. It doesn't affect you in any way, other than you might not be able to play on your favorite server, but who says so? BIS might do some sort of trick to replace DLC models with vanilla models for those who don't have them.

They aren't going to take away the tools and the community. What makes you think so, just because they are trying to make some money by releasing DLC?

As I said before, if you think this is such a bad idea, then suggest a good idea that will get some cash in the bank?

Edited by Nicholas

If all the servers switch to DLC I'm pretty sure theres going to be a ton of pissed off people who bought the game then find out the have to cough up another $10 to use it online.

I can't stand ACE and Domination adding DLC which I have to purchase into the list

will severely limit my places to play the game.

Hopefully enough servers around the planet will stick to free stuff from Armaholic.

Battlefield at least had official servers available running vannila versions

when the booster packs appeared on the scene + There were tons of servers

still running vanilla so nobody was locked out.

I have nothing against DLC so long as it's quality and the ability to get it is made easy enough for everybody

and theres a backup plan in the event every single server switches to it.

When Rise of Flight came out the main reason I saw for people skipping it was the pay for the good planes thing they have.

yes you can play online without them but it didn't go over to welll with a lot of people.

Edited by jblackrupert

i've never seen any other game developer release new campaigns , planes , cars , weapons , tanks , release beta patches, or even talk on their own forums to their community. bi has been with us for what, the last 10 years, and their games last even longer. BI is your friend, our friend, my friend, and I'm willing to purchase this dlc to support them

I would gladly pay 10.00 for these units, and i would gladly pay 20.00 for BIS standard Canadian units in the game, now that would be sweet

Well, even EA/DICE is giving away what used to be paid packs

- Armored Fury, Euro force (BF2) and soon Northern Strike (BF2141)

Bohemia does have a good reputation for support so I'm pretty sure they'll

do whatever it takes to prevent it from going bad if all the servers switch

and people are screaming bloody murder because they can't join servers.

Neobq is starting to learn their lesson. They removed the online requirement

for SP and they're starting to cough up some planes.

Edited by jblackrupert

Not really...I honestly can't see what you think is bad in this, a good 90% of games nowadays have DLC, most consisting of, as someone stated, 20 minutes of gameplay. BI is going to be adding a brand new faction consisting of infantry, vehicles and a campaign which will as seen with any new Arma content add onto the years of never ending fun gameplay...For just 10 bucks...

Can we move all this pro-anti DLC crap back over to the DLC discussion thread and get back to talking about the BAF DLC please?

Yes lets. It gets distracting when people are wrong on the internet. :D

I agree, the Challenger 2 would be a welcome addition to this... Also some RAF skinned Harrier GR9s would be good... Maybe a Tornado? This is the future though so I'm quite happy to use the RKSL Eurofighter because it's amazing, even if it is prone to run out of map very quickly.

I'm really looking forward to having the Brits "officially" in the game but I would prefer them to have full capability as a standalone faction rather than the slightly limited capability that the features list suggests... That is unless it also contains a class for "MENSAS" who all have "This allowdamage false;" in their init lines by default.

Can we move all this pro-anti DLC crap back over to the DLC discussion thread and get back to talking about the BAF DLC please?

Personally, I would like to see a Challenger tank and some british support trucks included in the pack. They dont have to be included in the Campaign, which I gather is based on counter insurgency, but it would be good to have them in the editor for the creation of some other types of invasion missions.

On a side note, I wonder if we are going to go through all this again when the PMC DLC pack is anounced?:D

Probably.

Hey, that brings up another point. Will the DLC be in a separate folder so you can play other mods that don't support it or is it hard-coded?

Probably.

Hey, that brings up another point. Will the DLC be in a separate folder so you can play other mods that don't support it or is it hard-coded?

Wow... I don't think that's been covered yet :eek: .

The only things that mods need to support are the configs for the additional units. Engine changes will be present by default anyway as they are going to be released as free patches. I guess if you want to run a mod that's incompatible, don't place any of the DLC units on the map.

I expect the main game will treat the BAF DLC just like any other mod and put it in the expansion folder. Then you will either activate it or disable it depending on which server you wanted to join.

Ive been thinking. The announcement thet the Brit engineers will have enhanced abilities I.E. vehicle repair and in particular bomb disposal abilities, would tend to suggest that some sort of IED will be implemented, dont you think?

This would make a great mission. Insurgents plant an IED and set up a nearby ambush. Brit column arrives and has to secure the area and protect the bomb disposal engineer from the insurgents as they mount their ambush and engineer tries to defuse the IED.