British Troops DLC released & Official 1.01 Update

Are you buying the DLC?  

1112 members have voted

1. 1. Are you buying the DLC?

• Yes
    • No
    • I'm not sure
    • I'm waiting for the price to drop

It not only looks like an acog, it is one... since acog is a series of gun sights rather than the name of a specific one ;)

It's not about the price, but the general idea behind DLCs. Mainstream publishers start to release games + day 0 DLCs with content that should have been in their game from the very beginning, but was simply cut out. They sell crippled games and charge again the players who want full experience. In this case it's not that bad...yet. But it's a start in a wrong direction. What comes next, monthly fees for online gaming? Some publishers already talk about this openly, and they don't mean MMOs.

I'm confident BI won't turn into Valve and won't start charging people for every major patch they release, seeing their stance on us I can hardly imagine that, at least not with the present ranks.

If I remember correctly, British Forces were never the scope for OA, the US Army was, and next to them there were some nice bonus content too (German SF and Czech army). The real scam can be explained for example with one certain "Rainbow Six Vegas 1 and 2" where they finished the first game with a big "TO BE CONTINUED" sub, and then released a somewhat upgraded same game basically set in the same environment and sold it as a fully new game and priced accordingly.

But one can compare the prices of the BF2 booster packs which costs about twice the price of this DLC.

But you can see positive examples for DLCs other than this, see Fallout 3, you can't say they released a crippled game.

Im a scouser btw, so I will be looking out for a good Liverpool accent or maybe the improved scouse engineer being able to remove all the wheels off a jackel in less than 60 seconds :D

Calm Down Calm Down! But would be funny! ;)

I'm confident BI won't turn into Valve and won't start charging people for every major patch they release [...].

lol wut? :confused:

Im a scouser btw, so I will be looking out for a good Liverpool accent or maybe the improved scouse engineer being able to remove all the wheels off a jackel in less than 60 seconds :D

Haha fucking spot on lad. I couldnt care less how much this is. Im getting it. On topic. Where can we get this from?. I dont have the steam version of OA or A2. Is this available to download from sprocket?

I'm confident BI won't turn into Valve and won't start charging people for every major patch they release, seeing their stance on us I can hardly imagine that, at least not with the present ranks.

But one can compare the prices of the BF2 booster packs which costs about twice the price of this DLC.

Valve has never charged for a patch. They have alone on tf2 dropped hundreds of patches and dished out more content than any developer ever has on a game for free.

Also the BF2 boosters were 10 bucks a pop. That's the same price as the dlc.

Maruk already posted the DLC will be available on Steam and Sprocket, as well as other, not yet announced places.

Thanks Fred, yet again I missed that.

There's been a few posts from BIS about the new British/Scottish/Cockney accented voices that are part of this DLC, a pretty major part form the sound of it.

proper Brit radio protocol so they claim

LOL at some of the examples! Great to know this. So we get and angry Jock, a whining scally and a Mockney .... I can hear it now,

"Yuz get ya' arses in gear, nay danger!" .... "Roger dodge jock, fakin' killin' me this fakin' backpack, jesus croyst" ... "Can we keep radio comms to a minimum chaps, chin chin".... "Arrr eh Laaaar, cyamn dyown ar' kid, fookun' toffs eh".

Etc.

If BIS refuse to use "mate" "cheers" "fair enough" "at the end of the day" I wont purchase. If under the voice selection one of them isn't listed as "Chav" it will be boycotted :)

Edited by mrcash2009

Or "wheors me tabs, like?"

"Ah'm starvin', me"

"that's canny enough, that is."

LOL! .... I can see this being a Brit off!

Aaah, me c**tin' leg ya c**t!

Anyway .... *takes deep breath* ... Nice to know they are looking to do this for comms. I'm looking forward to this more & more. I just hope they include "game" Uk outlets download too (hint) and some main retailers that have online download capability as apposed to the usual suspects.

Edited by mrcash2009

Whats the scope? Looks like an ACOG that ate too much :p

It's a X6 ACOG.

---------- Post added at 02:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:23 AM ----------

Sight Unit Small Arms Trilux

Unless I'm completely wrong :)

You're completely wrong. :P

Looking forward to play this new DLC. A pity 'bout chally :((

If I remember correctly, British Forces were never the scope for OA, the US Army was, and next to them there were some nice bonus content too (German SF and Czech army). The real scam can be explained for example with one certain "Rainbow Six Vegas 1 and 2" where they finished the first game with a big "TO BE CONTINUED" sub, and then released a somewhat upgraded same game basically set in the same environment and sold it as a fully new game and priced accordingly.

But you can see positive examples for DLCs other than this, see Fallout 3, you can't say they released a crippled game.

Tell me, please, when Valve ever charged for a patch? They kept releasing TONS and TONS of free stuff for TF2 without asking for a single penny. Not a single one. If you refer to Left 4 Dead 2, well, maybe a full price for it was too much (i didnt play it, but I did hear more than a few people talkin of it, so whatever i say might be wrong, but i'm pretty confident it isn't), but was still a different game. Only wrong thing (and that's subjective) they did is with the Episodes story, but then 3 episodes would pretty much cost a single full game, so, what's the harm?

Forgive this lil OT of mine, but Valve is one of the few companies still supporting PC without all the crap EA, Activision and Ubisoft have forced us to get used, and i hate to see em bashed.

Oh and.. do brits really get that funny with radio protocols? Haha, looking forward too see that too. If not, to provoke a bit brit friends of mine XD

Yeah tons of patches for TF2 that broke dods! cheers valve!

Will the brits get any type of plane in this dlc?

This really needs a Challenger 2... I don't know how it can be called complete without one.

It also lacks any support trucks. I think that £8 is too much money for an army DLC when we don't even get a full set of units. I'd say this DLC pack is worth half of what they are asking.

We already have Lynx's, Merlin's, Jackals and Warriors, and we already have good quality British skins and Weapons thanks to the efforts of this communities great modders.

Give us trucks, give us a main battle tank, and give us a selection of light vehicles which aren't just an after thought and a quick cut corner, then we can call this quality DLC, and then maybe it will be worth the steep asking price.

You don't have to buy it if your not satisfied with it...

I'm not going to buy it if that is the full unit list.

I'm just saying that I'm disappointed is all. I was looking forward to BIS DLC; I was hoping that maybe BIS could show other companies how DLC should be, but it looks like this DLC content is going to be just as bad as most other games companies DLC. Overpriced and rushed, purely made for milking a quick profit.

I'm also a little concerned about the inclusion of new features in DLC if they aren't going to be included in patches. Including important new features in DLC instead of patches is basically like making us pay for patches. Increased functionality for engineers and artillery is stuff that should be included in patches because it should be part of the main game. DLC should be everything extra that isn't core to gameplay, like shiney new armies and and maps.

Edited by SeamanStaines

Do you know how much effort is put into making quality models? What did you expect them to charge for one pack? Just be glad they've decided to release any DLC at all. They need to keep making money some way to keep providing us with quality patches. It isn't free to make a patch, they have to pay their employees some how.

Sorry, I edited the post to include that, but it was after you'd posted. What I said though, was personally, I was hoping for a full British Army force, and a small map for £10. Not half a force, a tiny campaign and some extra core gameplay features for £8.

---------- Post added at 02:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:35 AM ----------

And besides, if they didn't release a game full of bugs, they wouldn't have to patch it. Instead of paying their employees to finish the game before release, they are paying them to finish the game after release.

---------- Post added at 02:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:36 AM ----------

Anyway, I love the game BIS has made, and they've done a good job so far.

But my opinion on the DLC is this; too much for too little, and including new functionality in DLC is wrong. I'll leave it at that.

It's like 12 bucks (AUD), have a couple less cans on the weekend and it's paid for.

Not bad for the hours of work that would have gone into it.

Edited by Sabre
Currency etc.

All engine improvements developed for A2: BAF will be released to all users in free game update/patch and BAF will use it from the updated main game executable directly (note that it does not mean all our previous official content will get proper configuration to use it...)

As I said before, this is a perfect price for such a large content pack, and it's an official pack. There are indeed addon makers out there that have already made content such as this for the game, but this is official. You seriously expected a small map, a full british force and full campaign for $10? Welcome to the real world, making quality models for a game isn't that easy.

If you think $10 is overpriced than you just shouldnt be......here. I don't know what to say. $10 is nothing, We're getting tons of new units and vehicles. A modder is bound to make a Challenger tank eventually. I don't find it too much of a loss. I dont use vehicles that much, so it's all good for me!

100% buying any DLC by BIS!!