British Troops DLC released & Official 1.01 Update

Are you buying the DLC?  

1112 members have voted

1. 1. Are you buying the DLC?

• Yes
    • No
    • I'm not sure
    • I'm waiting for the price to drop

it would be nice if some of You start point out what's exactly "poor quality" etc.

unconstructive vague critic is plain waste of forum space and readers time ...

Takes place 2 years in future.. How can people claim it to be unrealistic? :j:

No one has made that claim, we are talking about the errors in current spec equipment.

I think Dwarden has opened the door for some constructive feedback, cant see why those spotting issues dont post them specifically, why not, its much like pointing out bugs for patches :)

We are getting UK addon, so those in the know UK based should surely post the specifics, which means a better bang for buck later.

I cleaned that thread up and removed all the pointless rants, whining and "they destroy the game with paid DLC" crap. I removed also all personal attacks and stuff like "they should rather fix the game" or remarks like "and next they stop modding".

This thread is solely for the soon to be released British Forces DLC and not about if paid DLC "splitting" the community more than free addons/Mods are doing.

This goes especially for Rolexman: By now we know you won't buy the DLC, that's fine. And now stop spreading pointless rumors like "next they stop modding" in an attempt to drag people on "your side".

I really think this forum is over moderated. We can't discuss anything slightly off topic that is still related to the DLC. Any thread created outside of this thread related to the DLC is locked, so where can we discuss the DLC while expressing our views and anything and everything pertaining to the BAF DLC and DLC's on the whole?

This is the only forum I visit out of MANY that has at Least one locked thread per day.

Keeping everything related to a certain topic in single sticky thread is an awful idea. No one wants to search through hundreds of pages to find information they want. That's the whole point of creating a new thread.

Trigger happy mod's imo

Edited by RogueBlade

I really think this forum is over moderated. We can't discuss anything slightly off topic that is still related to the DLC. Any thread created outside of this thread related to the DLC is locked, so where can we discuss the DLC while expressing our views and anything and everything pertaining to the BAF DLC and DLC's on the whole?

This is the only forum I visit out of MANY that has at Least one locked thread per day.

Trigger happy mod's imo

your the sort of person who gives threads like this a bad name.

This might seem like an obvious question, and the answer is probably "It just runs like any other mod".... But does it?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/33960/

Requires the base game ARMA II: Operation Arrowhead on Steam in order to play.

I have the Steam version of Operation Arrowhead. Does it mean I have to use the DLC from steam, or will the Sprocket version still work with my steam version of OA.

Keeping everything related to a certain topic in single sticky thread is an awful idea. No one wants to search through hundreds of pages to find information they want. That's the whole point of creating a new thread.

Trigger happy mod's imo

+1 infraction for public discussion on how the forums are moderated.

But don't blame me for that, blame yourself for ignoring the forum rules you accepted upon the registration process.

Every general DLC discussion goes here, the thread can be found in seconds by searching this forum for the term 'DLC'. It's not our problem if people are too lazy to search.

Edited by W0lle

Trigger happy mod's imo

Than you never visited the forum of the game which can't be mentioned here.

Second the forum will get heavily cluttered with similar threads which would be even worse. People are rarely reading forum rules that's why we have double and tripple threads which could have been easily avoided.

The Mods are doing a good job here, you gonna get bashed only if you're not following the rules.:D

kind regards

lol @ rogueblade

Anyway, any chance of getting an actual unit list for the DLC? It's unlikely to affect sales either way as those who aren't buying it have made that very clear already and those that are will get it regardless. I know there are things that BIS want to keep as a surprise but you can blank those out of said list with the word "surprise".

Please don't post a list of 20 entries all saying "surprise".

Yeah^^ a full list would be very nice... just replace surprise with Challenger 2 :D

Probably yes.

And that's exactly the problem.

DLC has to be more generic to make it interesting for all players and not only for players from country x.

In case of the UK DLC, british players will most likely buy it, while the rest may simply skip it.

Xeno

I don't mind it being another Army. In fact I think it would be fresh. The main problem for me is that anything non US are so damned incomplete. The only faction that comes close is the Russians, but given the language barrier they'll always be used as the enemy. I can't make any use of the UN for a combined forces thing as they basically lack everything. The russians still doesn't even have an engineer class - I'm a bit curious how that is not a content fix.

I don't mix and match for player characters. I might have SF and regular Army, but I won't mix in UN, German, or CZ units. And I tend to think twice before using their vehicles too. I did use the CZ Landrover for one of my teams, since no unarmed HMMWVs can hold the 5 guys that make up the team, but under skepticism. I did use the Takistani Local UH-1H, because it had similar paint job.

I may or may not get it for personal amusement, I'm undecided until I hear what it contains, but it is highly unlikely that I will "support it" and make stuff for it. Is it worth the money? The variations in voice alone would be I guess, maybe even campaign - who knows at this point. Only thing we know is that it is longer than EW, so, three missions long? :p

So, I understand the need to "try this". But I will be sitting on the fence observing what happens for BAF, future DLCs, and neglect to add (i.e. russian engineer) / fix (UH-1H gunnery view) / enhance (USMC updated to OA standards) current content. If it's "tragic enough" I'll probably just leave the game. I'm highly worried about this "old content won't get updated configs to support new features" stuff. So yeah, as one who wants to only do "non addon required stuff", I'm starting to feel left out.

Although I don't object to new BAF, especially if it is "complete enough", getting the USMC, Russians, and even CDF and insurgents "up to par with OA standards with new rucks and updated models (with removed model rucks) etc" would be much more valuable to me. As a basis for making missions with I mean.

*looks at poll above*

I'm waiting for the price to drop

27 votes

6.37% of votes

You have to be one cheap son of a bitch to not be able to fork over 10 bucks. I get barely any hours from work and I can still toss 10 in the pot for this.

No, it's not obvious.

They obviously did research, or they wouldn't even be able to develop the product, duh. I don't even know how you come out with such babble, haha.

All you do is bash their work, so your opinion is obsolete anyway. When you start working for them, I will start listening to your stupid comments. :rolleyes:

Fucking children. Even when presented with a dev's own statements you can't do anything but dismiss anything that doesn't rosily-cuddle BIS with a blanket of puppies.

I (and probably the moderators) would prefer it if you used this thread to logically refute my arguments and PM me the hate.

Why no Official Challenger ? It's not very hard to model : bulky box on threads + no interiors...

Yes, there's already one made by the community, but the whole concept of a faction package is to make it complete enough to have a standard MP game while assuming everybody has the same units... otherwise, why not download everthing from the community already ? (apart from supporting BIS development, obviously).

Edit : Still time to go... there's still hope.

I would assume that since OA was loosely based on the Invasion of Iraq/Afghanistan. This DLC will be loosely based around the subsequent insurgencies in both those countries.

It says somewhere in the OP that the British troops are there for Counter-Insurgency ops and assymetric warfare, the key factor in winning COIN ops is Hearts and Minds, winning the support of the local populace.

Cutting about in dirty great Challenger 2 MBT's doesn't really say to the Takistani people "Hey, were here to help!".

The unit list so far seems to fit in well with what they are wanting to do, the Challenger's don't really.

EDIT: I'd just like to add i think this looks great and i'm glady looking forward to buying! Official BIS British troops in ARMA2 have been long overdue in my opinion.

Edited by karskin
More info

@Karskin, you forget that most won't bother with the campaign and those that do will have it completed within a hour or two... then we turn to the editor where we make our own missions. The Challenger 2 would come in great use here. :)

Although I don't object to new BAF, especially if it is "complete enough", getting the USMC, Russians, and even CDF and insurgents "up to par with OA standards with new rucks and updated models (with removed model rucks) etc" would be much more valuable to me. As a basis for making missions with I mean.

That was part reason why i decided not to reinstall A2 when i installed OA, i dont like double standards.

I cant help to see OA as a new start and i welcome new content BIS makes for it, wouldnt even mind a OA USMC upgrade DLC with new USMC character models, ugraded weapons, new helicopters and mrap's :) .

@Karskin, you forget that most won't bother with the campaign and those that do will have it completed within a hour or two... then we turn to the editor where we make our own missions. The Challenger 2 would come in great use here. :)

But the DLC is still designed around a particular theme, in this case being COIN ops. This is the developers vision.

The theme of the original ARMA2 was the USMC going into Chernerus to act as a peacekeeping forcem, push back the Chedaki and capture Lopatev and thus they designed the game with this vision around a MEU.

You could say that it would have been usefull to put CH-46's in ARMA2 as they would have come in great use in the editor but it wasn't in the developers vision.

Just accept it for what it is and everyone stop moaning, if you want totally realistic military simulators with all the units included, get VBS2 or JCOVE.

Prydain, richiespeed13

I'm pretty sure that before I told both of you to stop the personal crap here.

A couple of hours later you're at it again. :mad:

Both of you, consider yourself warned.

Those are really my two main issues with how the game is going.

1. The original content of ArmA 2 is not being updated to the standards set by OA and now this DLC. BIS, PLEASE, in a future patch, or free DLC, update all of ArmA 2's content so we no longer have this obvious double standard, that is quite gamebreaking for people like me.

2. Don't make the British half-baked just to fit Counter Insurgency ops. Please make them a full conventional army, as all the others. I hate seeing something get half done just to meet it's current needs. I want to be able to use the British in the same way I use the US, or the Russians.

But the DLC is still designed around a particular theme, in this case being COIN ops. This is the developers vision.

The theme of the original ARMA2 was the USMC going into Chernerus to act as a peacekeeping forcem, push back the Chedaki and capture Lopatev and thus they designed the game with this vision around a MEU.

You could say that it would have been usefull to put CH-46's in ARMA2 as they would have come in great use in the editor but it wasn't in the developers vision.

Just accept it for what it is and everyone stop moaning, if you want totally realistic military simulators with all the units included, get VBS2 or JCOVE.

I always understood the devs' "vision" of Arma2 to be that of an open sandbox milsim with a few example missions to show off the capabilities. Introducing a faction with limited capability out of the box is pretty bad imo.

In any case, the British Generals in real life have requested Challenger 2 to be deployed in Afghanistan so why can't we have it in Takistan?

Or, alternatively, why can't we have it in Chernarus? Those of us with CO are going to want (probably) to use the Brits in woodland camo in good old Cherno, that's MBT country right there.

I would rather the L115 (sniper) and L129A1 (new sharpshooter rifle) than the Challenger II. They are giving us the new MTP camo and helmets and Osprey armour, why not the newer weapons?? I would rather a complete unit rather than some bits of all the British military.

Was there any mention of the Gimpy?

_

I think we need to start getting heavy handed and dishing out infractions left and right and suspending accounts because some of you obviously cannot read and cannot follow simple guidelines.

This thread is for discussing the BAF DLC only. Discussions pertaining to the concept of DLC as a whole belong in this thread.

2. Don't make the British half-baked just to fit Counter Insurgency ops. Please make them a full conventional army, as all the others.

Uh, the Czech, German in OA were only a small group and not the entire armed forces of their country. Sometimes you can't have it all. If you want a full conventional british army start a bigger demand for it then, and hopefully it won't cost too much, and then people will still bitch that making all those units will kill the mod community who are making similar addons. Personally I think this BAF DLC is a nice addition of flavor to the game.

Sometimes you people are like that damn snake in Rikki Tikki Tavi: "If you move I strike, and if you do not move I strike"

Was there any mention of the Gimpy?

_

No, but it might feature as something available to MG carrying soldiers? I'd be quite interested to see the full contents of the weapons boxes for this content.

But then again, what do I know... I can't tell the difference between susat and X6 acog :o