Sign in to follow this  
celery

Which recoil model do you prefer?

Which recoil model do you like best?  

280 members have voted

1. 1. Which recoil model do you like best?

• The new one
    • The new one, but tone it down a bit
    • The old one

Would a slow down of "return to original aimpoint" work.What I mean is instead of the jump we have now with no simulation of the shooter forcing the weapon back down....instead BIS could slow down the return to center speed slightly to simulate the re-acquiering that the shooter has to do?So firing on semi would feel like default while a burst and you have to wait a bit longer to recenter and full auto a bit longer till aimpoint is back on target.

I think there should be less upwards recoil , that's it.

Well, in order not to scare people away from this game, I find a compromise between the current ace recoil and the vanilla AO system most suitable for all players.

SWAT 4 has an excellent recoil model. It was really hard to shoot in full auto while moving. I really enjoyed that.

edit: and from what I can see in video I think that it's great that you have to manually put it down after each burst. Very realistic and will add more thirlling into firefights. No need for having ARMA to be an easy game.

Edited by Bouben

Cant we just have it adjustable the now recoil being extreme end of the slider and the vanilla being the left end. Makes most sense to me. we'll only end up with 101 mods for everyones playing style.

I think the Original OA recoil system is way sufficient, just add kickback of the rifle to delay the other shots.

We just have people playing on our public server with the beta pacht and they don´t like the new recoil system, especially the ones who already have problems to hit anything in vanilla OA :). It´s really a hard piece of work to draging your mouse around properly.

---------- Post added at 11:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:00 PM ----------

I think the Original OA recoil system is way sufficient, just add kickback of the rifle to delay the other shots.

Yeah, it´s cool, since in contrast to A2, its a much harder to keep track of your target with the OA recoil. I would also favour a small dispersion penalty for bullets when you rapidly fire single shots after each other at a target.

I think that a slow down of speed might be better here.Take a rifle and shoot one shot.Right now it takes maybe 1/2 a second to recenter on target since you have to do it manually.Before it recentered automatically and was almost instant.Would it not work if the speed to recenter was slowed down to simulate shooter having to recenter?

tested the recoil on defualt us soldier in single fire (the default firing mode for nearly all soldiers except untrained guerilla/terrorists.) it feels very good. moves only a little up and settles a little. very good. very easy to keep on target but now it needs just a little more concentration adn effort. then tried it on full auto. becomes only slightly more tricky. still managable.

so i thought that maybe there's a lot of LMG/MG heroes complainign about the recoil. so i tried the lmg and the recoil while standing; firing in bursts isn't bad at all.

to me it is spot on.

edit - the fal has quite a bit more recoil than the scar but then thats spot on. shooting while standing with it is a little challenging. couching is much more managable and prone its piss easy again. stance counts when firing a weapon. that's the a good simulation of the different gun types in my book.

Edited by twisted

Don't let this idea go unnoticed here.A reduction in speed of return to center would be perfect.Reason is that it will allow people to put aim on enemy and just fire....wait fire.Or if you want to be faster than you can adjust the speed with mouse by quickening the return to center.I think this would make for the most real feel.

I really like it the way it is in the beta.

I would be open to the suggestion of it being toned down 20% if I'm in the minority; the barrel settling in a more randomized position is an attractive proposition.

My views based on watching video only, so keep that in mind:

1) Kickback is hard to notice, but if others say it's there I'll accept that. Kick back should not be extreme no matter the power of the gun - the shake takes care of that in a good enough fashion.

2) Barrel rise seems excessive, at least for the weapon. Also it appears very predictable, so should be more random.

3) What drives the barrel rise, have anyone tested? Is it based on caliber, muzzle velocity, weapon dexterity, or (I hope not) same for everything? An M107 I would expect to have great climb standing up. A 7.62 based assault rifle I would expect to have greater climb than a 5.56 based one, even less on a 9mm SMG. I would expect more "control" (less climb) if you had a handgrip (or short barreled assault weapons designed for CQC, which would most likely be reflected in the dexterity value).

But, I do like where this is going. Hell no, I'm loving it :D

Carl,do you think that a slowing down of return speed would be better then the weapon fires up and stops in beta?If you look at videos of OA with NV and lasers you will really notice how fast the recoil effect goes away with stock recoil.Its snap up and down.If they were to just increase this speed slightly then you would have best of both worlds.The simplicity we have now of placing aim on target with ability to enhance your aim with mouse.

Carl,do you think that a slowing down of return speed would be better then the weapon fires up and stops in beta?If you look at videos of OA with NV and lasers you will really notice how fast the recoil effect goes away with stock recoil.Its snap up and down.If they were to just increase this speed slightly then you would have best of both worlds.The simplicity we have now of placing aim on target with ability to enhance your aim with mouse.

wtf. how many times do you have to repeat yourself?

New one of course, just not sooo hard, as everybody said - calibers should get their own recoils. An AK smashes way more than a high-end rifle I guess.

New one is amazing, it's a bit strong, currently it is directly derived from the weapon recoil - aka, if you have a weapon that has alot of recoil, viewkicking is alot more than if you have a weapon that doesn't have alot of recoil.

Maybe it should be a toggle just like the "camera shake" recoil. I don't enjoy the camera shaking recoil, so I disable it, which makes recoil like it was in ArmA 2 - and ArmA 2 recoil with this new viewkicking is awesome. Just, as has been said, tone it down a bit. Reducing by 25-50% should be enough.

The recoil right now moves the aim to highest point the weapon reaches from recoil.Some people are asking for reduced amount....but reduced from what?Its got no return being modeled if you catch my drift.

Hi all

Keep it as it is.

Kind Regards - Infamous

Cant we just have it adjustable the now recoil being extreme end of the slider and the vanilla being the left end. Makes most sense to me. we'll only end up with 101 mods for everyone's playing style.

I totally agree with you here mate, sound's like something that would keep most parties for/against the new recoil happy.

On a side note I also would like to mention that there should be different values on different weapons, for example an MP5 shouldn't have the same recoil/muzzle rise as an AK. maybe just giving different calibers different values would suffice for me personally to save on time/trouble in doing every weapon separate

I agree with the majority of posts. I like having to aim after each shot, combined with the screen shake it feels really cool. However, it shouldn't be just muzzle climb, there needs to be variation to the kickback. Also, there needs to be some adjustment for different weapons having different amounts of recoil. Right now it feels overdone on most weapons and is basically an exercise in frustration but I'm eager to see where this goes.

Realism-wise the new recoil makes no sense because nobody makes it an effort to bring the sights down after firing a weapon. The beta patch simulates a strange kind of muscle stiffness where a soldier keeps aiming where the gun raised its barrel, and that just doesn't happen.

I don't have OA yet but I hate the beta recoil just by looking at it.

Don't knock it till you've tried it.

OA features a plethora of 7.62 weapons -- from a purely game balance point it makes a lot of sense to actually limit their overwhelming advantage over the 5.56/5.45 type calibers. Remember one of the major shortfalls of Arma2 is that it the penalty for carrying heavier/longer/more cumbersome weapons is non-existent. Which lead to the total domination of the DMR and PKP in vanilla arma2.

If you thought the DMR was bad in Arma2 -- imagine the Mk17 as a reiteration issued to all special forces soldiers. Often with a GL and thermal sight from the getgo.

End of the line is this: If you can't handle the new recoil of the Mk17 -- use a 5.56 weapon.

-k

In all my years of shooting, both competitively and not, I have never seen a weapon recoil like what is in the beta video (and that includes a wide range from the Ultra Light Arms .300 Win Mag. Hunting rifle to the SAW). There should be a random deviation from the main point of the first shot (side, below, up, at an angle, etc.), not a constant pitch up. In addition, the rifle staying "pointed up" after the shot is, to quote Monty Python, "silly".

Sometimes I think people believe that if something is relatively easy, it must not be realistic.

*EDIT* Just to reiterate, I am not referring to full auto firing, but rather the recoil effects in the beta video after each shot has been fired.

Edited by Arklight

I voted the first option because shooting was always way to easy in BIS games. It is ridiculous how one is able to hit targets even with a AK-47 at 800 Range by just correcting your aim as it always returns to the same point.

I'm a sportsmarksman and I can tell you that lots of people dont hit the card with a .22 sporting rifle at 50m, because its not that easy to hold a steady aim while standing...so why should it be possible with a 7.62x51 rifle?

I own a scoped 6.5x55mm Rifle and I'm not able to shoot it at 100m standing without needing to recenter my aim...takes me 2-3 seconds to do that.

There are people (soldiers) that even wont hit the target card at all with 5 shots from a .357 Revolver at 25m...why should it be so easy in OA?

There is a reason why not every soldiers wears marksmanbatches in reality...its simply because not everyone is good at long range shooting.

There are other roles in OA you can play...its not only sniper.