Placebo

ArmA2: Operation Arrowhead Impressions - ALL OA Impressions/Videos/Screenies Here

OA is simply awesome. The setting is just perfect, Takistan is a beautiful map with the remote mountains and little villages. Everything feels just RIGHT. And all the extra features, new units, more fluid movement etc. It's totally worth the 30 bucks.

When I'm playing it feels like BIS is finally able to polish everything a bit more now, overall it feels more complete, more finished. The start of addon support is also very promising. All in all Operation Arrowhead is everything I expected, and much much more :yay:

OA is simply awesome. The setting is just perfect, Takistan is a beautiful map with the remote mountains and little villages. Everything feels just RIGHT. And all the extra features, new units, more fluid movement etc. It's totally worth the 30 bucks.

When I'm playing it feels like BIS is finally able to polish everything a bit more now, overall it feels more complete, more finished. The start of addon support is also very promising. All in all Operation Arrowhead is everything I expected, and much much more :yay:

+1 my feelings exactly.

I also love the enemy AI in OA in Veteran mode - the way they are cautious and use cover while flanking seems to have improved from A2. No more suicide charges! :yay:

Ooh i do hate these OA threads, it makes me feel bad about not having it!

Haha same here, then again, not having it does make me do some work :D

So far ive spent stupid amounts of time replaying "Jackal" scenario. Trying different approaches and such. Its like the spin of to that similar scenario in Arma1 which was almost impossible to try no matter what, love it.

Got into the Campaign, i needed to get some sound mods working (BIS default doesn't give me battlefield "feel" to be honest) once that was sorted Im realy enjoying it.

Whats different for me is instead of running to the editor im really taking time on the scenarios and missions much more than I did with A1/A2.

Sounds: I think this is the first BIS game where there are sounds I would not want a sound mod to change. Some of the helo sounds are amazing. The CH47 is the best helicopter sound I have heard in a game. The little bird also sounds fantastic. Some sounds sound the same as Arma2 like some tank engines etc.

I am wondering do they have a new higher fidelity recording procedure now we can have 128 channels of sound (and other engine changes) and perhaps they only rerecorded some of the sound FX? Maybe this is why some sounds are far superior to others. I would love if everything was resampled to the quality of that Chinook.

Anyone else heard any amazingly good sounds?

Also, I think the voice acting (haven't played the campaign, I just mean standard in game chat of your character) have gotten better again since Arma2 and for the first time, sounds quite natural. I would have liked native speech for Germans etc though.

Sounds: I think this is the first BIS game where there are sounds I would not want a sound mod to change. Some of the helo sounds are amazing. The CH47 is the best helicopter sound I have heard in a game. The little bird also sounds fantastic. Some sounds sound the same as Arma2 like some tank engines etc.

I am wondering do they have a new higher fidelity recording procedure now we can have 128 channels of sound (and other engine changes) and perhaps they only rerecorded some of the sound FX? Maybe this is why some sounds are far superior to others. I would love if everything was resampled to the quality of that Chinook.

Also, I think the voice acting (haven't played the campaign, I just mean standard in game chat of your character) have gotten better again since Arma2 and for the first time, sounds quite natural. I would have liked native speech for Germans etc though.

I completely agree. I really like the sounds in OA. Granted, as far as realism is concerned I have absolutly no idea if they sound like their real-life counterpart. It's just a shame they didn't redo to Arma 2 sounds (like AK and M16/M4 ect) as they don't seem to have the crisp quality to them, although I completely understand why they didn't. The voice acting and radio system seems a bit better too.

The sound accuracy seems spot on BUT they lack that Humth/punch in it. they are too soft and quiet. Also, there is no reverb and sound variation when you shoot in certain places.

The sounds are very weak, no bass no nothing - Sitting on a high-end sound set, it's such a flat experience. ACE's Soundmod has already improved everything about 200%.

The same voice actor voices Terry Graves in OA. He's in many of BIS' (and even Black Element's) games. His voice is probably the most bearable of the current voice actors. :p

It's not as much the accent as it is the way he talks - he's trying to sound like a 'Hoah' tough guy and failing miserably. There's a particularly bad example of this in Coltan Blues in OA (not sure if it's the same guy) - when you clear the mine and receive your next orders, your character questions whether he will be able to hold off the Takistani aircraft with the militia weapons. The reply from HQ is horrifying... it really sounds like whoever said it was going out of their way to take the piss.

Voice acting is, like the name would suggest, acting. Being able to talk in the right accent isn't sufficient, you have to be able to deliver the lines in a convincing way.

Some may accuse me of being anal, but I think it can be difficult to take a game seriously if you want to face palm every time some dialog comes up. That said, it's the only real gripe I've had with an otherwise exemplary game so far.

Edited by echo1

All games have okish acting only a few games have hollywood actors in them. It doesnt bother me though as at one time I didnt even have voices in games.

finally got my copy and am loving it, something that sticks out with all the new IR stuff, they should've added IR markers for BLUEFOR on their uniforms and vehicles so you can tell friend from foe for when combats gets in close

While everyone involved with OA has earned a big compliment, I'm simply overwhelmed by the map Takistan. It's such a beauty from the vegetation to the lovely buildings to the terrain with all the mountains... and it's tons of fun to play on it.

Takistan is friggin awesome!

zagrab runs crap on many pc's but takistan is not too bad

---------- Post added at 09:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:24 AM ----------

The sounds are very weak, no bass no nothing - Sitting on a high-end sound set, it's such a flat experience. ACE's Soundmod has already improved everything about 200%.

yea exactly. ACE is out now so it should be fixed now but i will wait for more updated and feedback on ace before trying it as right now it messes up your arma 2 ACE

And, honestly, how many Arma 2 servers and players are there still? :rolleyes:

I think it's safe to say most of the MP activity has moved to OA now.

It's not as much the accent as it is the way he talks - he's trying to sound like a 'Hoah' tough guy and failing miserably.

'It's gonna be a piece of cake!'

chuck-norris-birthday-cake.jpg

You have to just try to enjoy them for comedy value: Carry On Up The Khyber Pass!

I like the sounds with OA. Running them using a decent soundcard and headphones in stereo, they have real body. In 5.1 or better, it's another story, which is a real shame.

I have one pretty big issue with Arrowhead, and it turns out it's the lovely new Javelin! I love the new HUD and scope for the Javelin, BIS did a fantastic job! But omfg, the beeping noise, the word "loud" does not describe it.

If it is just an issue on my pc, I am sorry, but every time I try and target a vehicle with the Javelin, even if all other sounds are nice and low, the Javelin beep rapes my ears horribly.

Would be cool if they could make it quieter, if it's not just me that is!

Cheers!

LOL richie, I have that also. I made a video of it.

OK, I loaded up some A2 missions in OA and noticed the graphical difference. A2 appears to be much more "soft" if I can describe it that way. To my eye, it's more realistic way of rendering the world. OA has "harder" edges that look less realistic I guess is the only way I can put it. Anyone else notice this?

I've played everything starting with OFP demo and I am very impressed with Operation Arrowhead.

I was afraid it was going to just be another mod like Queens Gambit for Arma1, but it feels like a new game. Everything just feels right. It's probably BIS's most solid build to date and I'd fully recommend buying it.

That said, don't hate on ArmA1/2, the awesomeness of AO is a result of the progression of the series and user made mods.

BIS - Kudos again on the beauty, accessability, playability, stability, enjoyability, and just fun.

And the issues with custom faces are fixed in OA? (too bright, some don´t work on ATi etc)

Yes, they are still there. That's an issue only ATI can fix. It's how ATI drivers handle jpg files I believe.