Sign in to follow this  
Dwarden

ARMA 2 (OA) : DLC discussion thread

I love Arma 2 and OA so yeah I'd buy stuff for them. Only if it came to stores though in some kinda bundle, I hate buying invisible stuff you know.

I will like to put a special request this one man as a DLC

200KimJonIl.jpg

One great HVT dont you think?

why would they do that, we ALL know North Korear is best Korear.

North Korean "Great Leader"? I would like to see him as DLC, great mission-making possibilities.

That whole country is brainwashed.

Have you ever seen the documentary "Inside North Korea"? It is amazing some of the stuff that is going on in there. Some north Koreans have no clue that a man has been to the moon. They allow no outside sources of information (Such as BBC, CNN, NYTimes) or commodities. You should really watch it sometime if you want to learn a lot about North Korea.

Edited by Nicholas

I like the idea of hybrid-payed DLC.

The core assets get provided to everyone for free as part of a patch (the Apache from EW, for example), as well as the first mission in the associated mini-campaign.

Along with this, there is payed DLC, which contains the full mini-campaign, perhaps other things too, like training missions for the new content.

This way, the multiplayer community isn't fractured, since they all have the same content.

Unsure of how profitable this would be, though.

Ok so hold on....

Is the DLC relay Confirmed by BI or just the Community Confirming it?

Also if it is Confirmed, How will this be played? I mean like will there be some DLC for the original ARMA II and OA? Or will they be only for OA?

If some content is made compatible with one of the two games, Will there be an icon showing the game its compatible with?

Community can reply to this but can I also get a BI Official to answer these questions please.

Thank you in advance if answering.

Edited by Haystack15

Ok so hold on....

Is the DLC relay Confirmed by BI or just the Community Confirming it?

Also if it is Confirmed, How will this be played? I mean like will there be some DLC for the original ARMA II and OA? Or will they be only for OA?

If some content is made compatible with one of the two games, Will there be an icon showing the game its compatible with?

Community can reply to this but can I also get a BI Official to answer these questions please.

Thank you in advance if answering.

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki?title=Ask_Bohemia_(about_Operation_Arrowhead..._or_anything_else_you_want_to_ask)!&rcid=57637#Official_DLC_plans_and_after_release_support

BI confirmed it awhile ago. I guess only for OA. There's more official info but I can't be arsed to find it atm ;)

The moment BIS turns ArmA into Sims/WoW with stupid paid DLC - is the moment I stop buying their games.

The moment BIS turns ArmA into Sims/WoW with stupid paid DLC - is the moment I stop buying their games.

Your lost. and quit crying, the games you just listed are two games that does a good job for DLC.

DLC was cool till the suits running publishers realized that morons like WoW and MW2 players will pay out their a** for nothing or stuff they already have. Then they realized they could gut a game before release and simply include what was part of the game (which even though it's gutted still costs full price) and charge even more for it later. Then every stupid game needs a zombie DLC.

FREE DLC rocks. DLC you can only get by originally buying the game rocks. "DLC" like Arrowhead, where the product is a light year jump ahead with regards to content and performance, rocks. $5 for two new tanks and a small island would not rock. Hopefully BIS realizes this and any DLC they release will be meaty with substance and quality and not just $5-$15 here or there for small bits of content.

$5 for two new tanks and a small island would not rock.

With how time consuming and difficult it is to make an island - to be compatible with ALL of BIS's modules like Ambient animals and Ambient civilians - it would be totally worth it. There's a reason none of the 3rd party islands are compatible and it's because of the massive amount of extra data/work that goes into the maps. But of course I'd rather pay $20 for another map with the size/complexity of Chernarus/Takistan.

the games you just listed are two games that does a good job for DLC.

Except they are not games. The first one is about playing dolls with a collection of ugly low poly furniture DLCs for $10 per set even a beginner can do in one evening in 3d modelling software and the other one is a senseless grinding routine with $25 horse DLCs that are just a bunch of textureless transparent models.

Modders do much more content and of a much more higher quality for BIS games for $0.00 than the one in those "good" DLCs.

Notice the difference?

Except they are not games.

they are not games? By Dictionary words, they are classified as a game.

Modders do much more content and of a much more higher quality for BIS games for $0.00 than the one in those "good" DLCs.

Well first of all if you feel that mod makers do a lot more and are better than why are you here crying and sucking your thumb saying that BIS is stupid and you wont buy there games because of DLC. You make it sound like they are forcing you to buy DLC and telling you that you cant use mods anymore. Go use mods instead of DLC if you feel that way.

You listed World of Warcraft. Don't you have to pay to play that game like a subscription. Yet you complain about A game that does not do that but only requires you to pay for some of there DLC. Be Happy BI is not like Blizzard and make you pay to play the game monthly.

Mod Makers Content = Non-Official

BI Content = Official

Notice any Difference There?

Look at it this way

If you feel that you might or would pay for DLC of BIS - then go onto that road and enjoy your new content

If you feel that you might not of won't pay for DLC of BIS - then go on that road and don't complain because your not buying any of it and its not your problem.

Edited by Haystack15

I'd happily pay for a new island/new faction. :)

Totally worth it.

I can pay, yes, but only from steam :s

I dont know if you buy it from steam you help BI devs, I hope so

You don't help them as much as you would if you bought from Sprocket, where they get the most royalties from sales. ;)

Any word on the ETA of said DLC?

My enjoyment of FSX was definitely limited by not wanting to spend any more money on it after getting burned on a few low quality buggy purchases. And honestly, making addons is so much darn work, I really can't blame anyone if they want some money for their efforts. But I know personally, I've offered my few addons for free mainly because I know everyone else does the same. It fosters the community atmosphere and keeps people civil (for the most part). I found that when people pay for FSX mods, they feel a sense of entitlement and some get downright demanding because they paid their hard earned cash for something.

More campaign missions (compatible with COOP)...Like OFP days :(...I remember taking days to complete the whole campaign, I just beat the OA one Today :/.

---------- Post added at 03:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:55 AM ----------

As far as I'm concerned, I'm all for supporting BIS, but I would prefer a big release (sort of mini-OA)

hence the "mini-OA"...Sure, it was a good campaign but don't get me wrong, but a MINI OA?, that would take about an hour to complete...I beat the OA campaign in a few hours on veteran...How about, a good time OFP Campaign! Woo!...30+ missions with coop support (now that is what I'm talking about)

hence the "mini-OA"..

I was refering to the expansion in itself, not the campaign only :

A mini-OA could be : 1 new large quality map + 1 new blufor/opfor faction + a small campaign a la OA featuring the new content.

Edited by EricM

Except they are not games. The first one is about playing dolls
Arma is about playing with virtual toy soldiers. What else could it be? Games are, for a large part, toys. Multiplayer can change things a bit as it has a competitive angle (like sports) but for many it's still cops and robbers for "grown-ups" :)

My enjoyment of FSX was definitely limited by not wanting to spend any more money on it after getting burned on a few low quality buggy purchases.

Like the so-called "accelerator pack" that provided you with a very bad fa-18 that fell apart if you used full thrust.

The quality of community made addons is generally so high that in order to justify the price tag I would hope that BIS made DLC is going to be at least of the same standard if not higher.