Sign in to follow this  
PacX

Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead - Radial Command Menu

Should ArmA 2: Operation Arrowhead feature 1 radial command menu rather than 10?  

230 members have voted

1. 1. Should ArmA 2: Operation Arrowhead feature 1 radial command menu rather than 10?

Yes radial voice commanding :p

"Open radial menu! ... Up - up - three!" :D

Jokes aside, I voted "yes". I think a radial menu with some of the more common commands could be useful. It doesn't have to replace the current number command system, just complement it. :)

i don't like for example the violet channel.totally useless and it can be replaced with the white channel for example.

"Open radial menu! ... Up - up - three!" :D

Jokes aside, I voted "yes". I think a radial menu with some of the more common commands could be useful. It doesn't have to replace the current number command system, just complement it. :)

To regroup:

Up Up Down Down Left Left Right Up Squared. :p

Regrouping!

(AI doesnt do anything)

3 tries later...

Up up... :)

The radial idea, can be like BF2 but only have the most "frequently" used commands on it.

Like Regroup, Move/Getin, Grab Cover, Formation Line, Heal, SITREP, Tango Spotted. I would very much welcome this. Aslong as its like BF2 used with the mouse and not like DR used with WASD.

Edited by Flash Thunder

(AI doesnt do anything)

Now that would be a whole other issue. ;)

A radial menu to replace the side menu would be good. To replace the main command menu, not so much.

im good. i don't want an americas army here.

A radial menu to replace the side menu would be good. To replace the main command menu, not so much.

This is what I would like, the Main one can stay, memorizing the patterns for a command isnt hard.

But the side one could be easily replaced by this UI concept.

I think it would give the UI a more polished feel aswell as making it easier.

you can always mod one radial menu yourself :)

Votes yes, but as a complement rather than a replacement. I've played since OFP and I still have a hard time using the number system. I have to read every single number in order to find what I'm looking for.

But, unlike radial systems in other games, where a single key accesses a single radial for everything (OFP DR one was just horrible), I'd like a context sensitive radial using several keys. Attack specific ones on one radial, formations on another, interactions (with vehicles, crates etc) on another. A major point is you learn motoric skills as long as the radial always remains the same (although shaded for inaccessible selections), instead of of having to read.

The current spacebar system is imho better than the number system, for getting things done quickly, but it could be vastly improved. Completely not related to a war game, but

is what I'm talking about. This particular one is a 8 degree radial with two rings. You just hold a key and drag the right mouse button and let go to select. To not select, drag back to center or a "dead spot". If radial opens another radial, you would have to left click. You won't understand how easy this becomes to use until you've tried it.

@*Dwarden*: How? What's the scripted commands for "advance" or "flank right" or "hide"?

I order my commands without even looking at the damn menu, its not that hard guys ;)

We're usually killed by the time I can get an AI to gear up from the point I want him to.

Edited by CarlGustaffa

Obviously not, you cant fit all the options decently in a radial command menu, there are just too many options.

Votes yes, but as a complement rather than a replacement. I've played since OFP and I still have a hard time using the number system. I have to read every single number in order to find what I'm looking for.

But, unlike radial systems in other games, where a single key accesses a single radial for everything (OFP DR one was just horrible), I'd like a context sensitive radial using several keys. Attack specific ones on one radial, formations on another, interactions (with vehicles, crates etc) on another. A major point is you learn motoric skills as long as the radial always remains the same (although shaded for inaccessible selections), instead of of having to read.

The current spacebar system is imho better than the number system, for getting things done quickly, but it could be vastly improved. Completely not related to a war game, but

is what I'm talking about. This particular one is a 8 degree radial with two rings. You just hold a key and drag the right mouse button and let go to select. To not select, drag back to center or a "dead spot". If radial opens another radial, you would have to left click. You won't understand how easy this becomes to use until you've tried it.

@*Dwarden*: How? What's the scripted commands for "advance" or "flank right" or "hide"?

We're usually killed by the time I can get an AI to gear up from the point I want him to.

That's kinda like the BF2 menu, but fills less. :V

I'd say leave the current menu (more flexible) but rework the ergonomy.

=> Quick menu with space bar but with no access to extended menu + Backspace to get all the menus + nums for particular actions... = no very good workflow.

The actions themselves could be reorganized and simplified (engage/engage at will?), renamed (Stay low/copy my stance?) while adding some much needed ones (Land ?)

Edited by EricM

no no no... i like the current system.

dont redo it. if people want another one. let them make an addon.

i dont want the dev's to waste time on a new menu when we already got a working one.

if you find it hard to use. maybe you havent used it enough :p

no no no... i like the current system.

dont redo it. if people want another one. let them make an addon.

i dont want the dev's to waste time on a new menu when we already got a working one.

if you find it hard to use. maybe you havent used it enough :p

I never said I find it hard to use, I find it annoying to use.

And they wouldn't be wasting their time, obviously even though my idea has not got too much support, 35% of the votes currently lay on my side.

So if they added this AND kept the old one they would not be wasting their time.

I think the current system is fine. It just needs a few improvements.

Mainly the context sensitive menu.

I want to select several soldiers point at an ammo box and choose rearm - but it's not there. Only move, stop (even when they're standing still), cease fire (even when they're not shooting), ...

That's kinda like the BF2 menu, but fills less. :V

Not sure what you mean with "fills less". But "my method" can give life to a whole new world of commands available through scripting, action macros and you name it. There would in many cases be more free slots in the compass radial for user stuff, than already taken by the system ones, given that by default you have 16 positions instead of only 9 (0 being "more").

But it just can't be done with the current system. Afaik there is no way to handle the concept of holding the regular W (move forward key) and right mouse dragging the mouse in a certain direction, popping up a radial which is shown as long as the W and right mouse button is held, moving indicator to the right position in the radial, and select it when you let go the right mouse button.

We need three things:

1) The possibility to modify radials for any key on the keyboard, user specific. Someone might use ArrowUp instead of W for regular move forward, and those keys would be natural for anything dealing with motion or offensive commands. A graphical rose with buttons to set would be more intuitive to change than simply a list of directions.

2) The ability to assign the low level commands to these compass locations.

3) The ability to call custom addon functions which sends the group, selected units, hoverposition, target (if any), and housepositions (if any) to the function. This addon would naturally be subject to signature checks. You might invoke a certain macro.sqf file containing your own specialized set of macros but limited only to a list of approved commands (to avoid cheats). This latter one would be highly useful for testing and on-the-fly changes.

#3 is probably already possible with some scriptery trickery, but without #1 and #2, it doesn't matter, because the "system" can never come true.

Examples of how this is easier. Try to get your unit to gear up at a crate or vehicle. First you need to make him go there. Then wait until he gets there. Then "6-n" to figure out what the command turns out to be - you have to read it. Not intuitive, not fast, high potential to get you killed. With the system I propose, point at the create or vehicle. Then hold G while dragging the mouse up to NN position which would be Gear at (selected position). If it wasn't supported by default, a new addon would make sure the selected unit walked to that position and activated the low level "gear" command. It's done within half a second without any reading required. It quickly becomes a motorized skill.

Another example. Without looking, what's the command to make a unit scan the west position? I have to try 1, 2, then 3 before I finally get to the correct menu, then read downwards until I find 8 - then again downward until I find 7. Needless to say, it takes a while. With my system, you could customize it so that Shift-W (for Watch commands maybe) was the stored compass location, means you hold Shift-W and rightmousedrag in the left (West) direction. An addon could make it so that these watch commands start relative to vehicle watching instead, something you currently can't do in Arma2 (only VBS2).

You could configure it so you're using the regular keys, i.e.

W - Attack or offensive orders, forward stuff. I.e. NN=Attack Target and EE = Flank Right.

S - Disengage or defensive orders, rear stuff. I.e. SS=Disengage.

A - Scanning and watching orders. I.e. NN=Watch this target and N=Watch this direction.

D - Rules of engagement orders. I.e. NN=Open Fire, SS = Hold Fire.

G - Gear or vehicle interaction orders. I.e. SS = Gear, NN = Get in anywhere.

T - Team assignments and teamswitch orders. NN = Switch to this unit.

F - Formations. I.e. NN = Wedge, N = Vee, S = Line, E = Echelon Left.

R - Reports.

You can use all 16 positions in a rose, or only 1, up to you completely.

Again, I do not want to discard the current systems (number and space commanding systems). But the interface seems to be a common problem for new players trying to command their troops efficiently, so why not try a new angle? I fail to see the harm in trying, or at least give the modders the required changes to try new concepts themselves (distinguish between a key press and a key hold, and being able to trap right mouse button drags).

Maybe it's not the best solution in all scenarios. Maybe it will fail miserably, which I think is the case for the number system (which is "hidden") and spacebar system (which doesn't give enough options). Feel free to comment on where my idea wouldn't work.

I voted yes, though would agree it should be an extra via a mod, as the more coop I play the larger number of squad control commands I use, spread throughout the menus. I was also a fan of the commo rose in BF2 and it might help some people as it can be intuitive, but only for a limited command set.

My preferred AI command structure is with voice via Pilflus, so I stay in control of the player at all times. The only problem is I don't like PTT, so when in a co op game I also end up telling other players to "follow me" or "engage tank" etc. on TS.

Although it sounds like a joke, I don't think we make much use of our feet in the game (unless the hardcore flight/racesim gamers play Arma2 with pedals), so could there be scope for some form of foot controller to activate menus, linear or radial ? Many of us drive and use pedals all the time and it would give another control input.

Voted no.

The current system is pretty good if you adapt it to a voice program, but I do think vanilla should have a easier way to select teams. When you are stressed its so easy to assign everyone to the team you are trying to select in stead of actually selecting it. Also it takes a while to select the team in vanilla style. A voice program removes all these issues however and its easier for a voice program to do the 1-0 key setup than other because those keys dont conflict with walking forward etc.

I think the "select all" key should be changed to a cycle teams key though because select all dosent seem to work as indented most of the times if any of the members have a status (Stop, Hold) or similar. Its mostly useless, I think.

Hi there

I voted no. Where is the difficulty in remembering numerical combinations of 2 figures to issue orders to your team, is beyond my understanding.

Best regards

Hi there

I voted no. Where is the difficulty in remembering numerical combinations of 2 figures to issue orders to your team, is beyond my understanding.

Best regards

Read thread.

Read thread.

I did. I had never any issues using the command system. When starting with OFP back then, it took a couple of weeks to learn the command system and after that it came naturally. I prefer the actual command system rather than a radial command menu but that's just me, but seeing the poll result it's not only me who wouldn't change the actual system.

regards

The current system is pretty good if you adapt it to a voice program, but I do think vanilla should have a easier way to select teams. When you are stressed its so easy to assign everyone to the team you are trying to select in stead of actually selecting it.

Not everyone has possibility for voice control. About team, with my proposed setup, you hold t (team assignments and teamswitch compass), RMB drag to the correct team and let go. You want "red" team to be on you left? Put them on the left place in the compass.

@nettrucker: So good for you. I've also played since OFP, and I still don't "get it", especially under pressure. Getting units to gear up at a specific point is a nightmare. And you have no idea how to assign targets via the 2 menu, or where exactly they are (where is 12 o'clock when the o'clock system completely breaks down so much?). For that you're left with the spacebar or num , command system. Which is nice and quick, but lacks most most of the commands in the number system.

My idea has room for everything, in the same keys you normally use instead of having to scan the keyboard and try every number and hit backspace everytime you miss. Being a 16 part compass, not only has it room for what is there already, but also a whole lot of other new stuff that could be plugged in via scripts.

Edited by CarlGustaffa

Also it takes a while to select the team in vanilla style.

Jojo, just in case you don't know, Shift and then the F key for any member of a team selects all members of that team.

Scott

Here is my compass menu idea in full graphics :) If the image doesn't work, try accessing it from here. Sorry for the horrible quality, but I think we all know the reason :) Btw, I do not have the preview version, just borrowed image from web to make sure I got good visibility. Also tested against black, white, sky blue, and NVG green with good results.

Please tell me that this looks more intuitive and easier to use than having to fiddle with the number menu system. Hold a qualifier key while RMB draggin to select, it couldn't be more simple. These are only my own personal ideas on where I would put formations, it should be configurable for users to suit their own game style. Old schoolers could simply choose not to use it, and use the number system instead. But I seriously think this system would help many new gamers, given the incredible amount of options we are given compared to arcade shooters.

4583676148_33bf985816_o.jpg

Without the graphics, here is also the full list of current Arma2 commands, except "attack orders from menu 2", as the quick command (space) and squad control (num ,) modes already works for these. The action orders from menu 6 would be obsolete with this system as well, as they would be covered by a "dynamic compass" in the "gear and interact compass".

All commands grouped in what I think feels a sensible fashion:

Overview over predefined (default) but customizable keys
W - Attack or battle orders.
S - Scanning and watching orders.
F - Formations.
T - Team assignment system and team switching.
E - Engagement rules and squad security.
G - Gearing, vehicle interaction, and object interaction.
R - Reports and support system.
? - Anything future stuff, addon based of whatever. Just a blank template to experiment with.

The beauty is you don't have to let go your regular control keys and look for the number.
The compass system recognizes that you are holding W, but won't interfere until you hold RMB and starts dragging.
It is "big and ugly", but it gets the job done instantly, highly intuitive, and extremely graphical.
Remember, these boxes can be color coded or be coupled with graphics (i.e. for formations).

W - Attack or battle orders.
                                   +-----------+                                     
                                   |  ATTACK   |                                     
                                   | ENEMY OR  |                                     
         +-----------+             | POSITION  |             +-----------+           
         | ASSAULT   |             |           |             | ASSAULT   |           
         |  LEFT     |             +-----------+             |  RIGHT    |           
         |           |                                       |           |           
         |           |             +-----------+             |           |           
         +-----------+             | TARGET    |             +-----------+           
                      +-----------+| ENEMY OR  |+-----------+                        
                      | BOUNDING  ||           || ADVANCE   |                        
                      | ON        || POSITION  ||           |                        
                      |           |+-----------+|           |                        
                      |(NEW STYLE)|             |           |                        
                      +-----------+             +-----------+                        
+-----------+     +-----------+     +-----------+     +-----------+     +-----------+ 
| FLANK     |     | FIND      |     |           |     | NEXT      |     | FLANK     | 
| LEFT      |     | COVER     |     |           |     |           |     | RIGHT     | 
|           |     |           |     |           |     | WAYPOINT  |     |           | 
|           |     |           |     |           |     |           |     |           | 
+-----------+     +-----------+     +-----------+     +-----------+     +-----------+ 
                      | BOUNDING  |             | SUPPRESS  |                        
                      | OFF       |+-----------+|           |                        
                      |           || STAY BACK ||           |                        
                      |(OLD STYLE)||           ||           |                        
                      +-----------+|           |+-----------+                        
         +-----------+             |           |             +-----------+           
         | STOP      |             +-----------+             | WAIT      |           
         |           |                                       | FOR ME    |           
         +-----------+             | RETURN TO |             +-----------+           
                                   | FORMATION |                                     
                                   |           |                                     
                                   |           |                                     
                                   +-----------+                                     
S - Scanning and watching orders.
                                   +-----------+                                     
                                   |  WATCH    |                                     
                                   |  NORTH    |                                     
         | WATCH     |             |           |             | WATCH     |           
         | NORTH     |             +-----------+             | NORTH     |           
         | WEST      |                                       | EAST      |           
         +-----------+             | WATCH     |             +-----------+           
                      +-----------+| AHEAD     |+-----------+                        
                      | WATCH     ||           || SCAN      |                        
                      | DIRECTION ||           || HORIZON   |                        
                      |           |+-----------+| HIGH      |                        
                      |           |             |           |                        
| WATCH     |     | WATCH     |     |           |     | WATCH     |     | WATCH     | 
| WEST      |     | LEFT      |     |           |     | RIGHT     |     | EAST      | 
|           |     |           |     |           |     |           |     |           | 
                      | WATCH     |             | SCAN      |                        
                      | OBJNULL   |+-----------+| HORIZON   |                        
                      |           || WATCH     || LOW       |                        
                      | :-)       || BACK      ||           |                        
         | WATCH     |             +-----------+             | WATCH     |           
         | SOUTH     |                                       | SOUTH     |           
         | WEST      |                                       | EAST      |           
         +-----------+             |  WATCH    |             +-----------+           
                                   |  SOUTH    |                                     
                                   |           |                                     
                                   |           |                                     
                                   +-----------+                                     
F - Formations.
                                   +-----------+                                     
                                   |  LINE     |                                     
                                   |           |                                     
         +-----------+             |   .....   |             +-----------+           
         |.   ECHELON|             |           |             |ECHELON   .|           
         | .    RIGHT|             +-----------+             |LEFT (NOT. |           
         |  .  (NOT A|                                       |A BUG   .  |           
         |   .   BUG)|             +-----------+             |       .   |           
         +-----------+             |  WEDGE    |             +-----------+           
                      +-----------+|    .      |+-----------+                        
                      | FILE      ||   . .     ||FIRETEAM   |                        
                      | (COLUMN   ||  .   .    ||BOX        |                        
                      | COMPACT): |+-----------+|      ::   |                        
                      |         : |             |           |                        
|           |     |           |     |           |     |           |     |          ^| 
| INCREASE  |     | DECREASE  |     |           |     | DECREASE ^|     | INCREASE  | 
|  SPREAD   |     |  SPREAD   |     |           |     |  SPEED?  ^|     |  SPEED?   | 
|<<--   -->>|     | -->> <<-- |     |           |     |           |     |          ^| 
                      |    .   .  |             |DELTA   .  |                        
                      | VEE . .   |+-----------+|       . . |                        
                      |      .    || STAG    . ||        .  |                        
                      |           || COLUMN .  ||       . . |                        
                      +-----------+|         . |+-----------+                        
         +-----------+             |        .  |             +-----------+           
         | HERRING-  |             +-----------+             |  COIL     |           
         |  BONE     |                                       |           |           
         |(VEHICLES) |             +-----------+             | (VEHICLES)|           
         +-----------+             |         . |             +-----------+           
                                   | COLUMN  . |                                     
                                   |         . |                                     
                                   |         . |                                     
                                   +-----------+                                     
T - Team assignment system and team switching.
                                   +-----------+                                     
                                   | ASSIGN    |                                     
                                   | RED       |                                     
         | ASSIGN    |             |           |             | ASSIGN    |           
         | BLUE      |             +-----------+             | GREEN     |           
         +-----------+             | SELECT    |             +-----------+           
                      +-----------+| RED       |+-----------+                        
                      | SELECT    ||           || SELECT    |                        
                      | BLUE      ||           || GREEN     |                        
| SWITCH    |     |  SWITCH   |     |           |     | SWITCH    |     |   TEAM    | 
| TO        |     |  TO PREV  |     |           |     | TO NEXT   |     |  SWITCH   | 
| SELECTED  |     |  UNIT     |     |           |     | UNIT      |     |  DIALOG   | 
                      | SELECT    |             | SELECT    |                        
                      | YELLOW    |+-----------+| WHITE     |                        
                      |           || SELECT    ||           |                        
                      |           || ALL       ||           |                        
         | ASSIGN    |             +-----------+             | ASSIGN    |           
         | YELLOW    |                                       | WHITE     |           
         +-----------+             | UNASSIGN  |             +-----------+           
                                   | SELECTED  |                                     
                                   |           |                                     
                                   |           |                                     
                                   +-----------+                                     
E - Engagement and squad security.
                                   +-----------+                                     
                                   | STEALTH   |                                     
                                   |           |                                     
         | GO PRONE  |             |           |             | STAY      |           
         |           |             +-----------+             | CROUCHED  |           
         +-----------+             | DANGER    |             +-----------+           
                      | OPEN      ||           || FIRE      |                        
                      | FIRE      ||           ||           |                        
|           |     |  ENGAGE   |     |           |     | DISENGAGE |     | BREAK AND | 
| ENGAGE    |     |  AT WILL  |     |           |     |           |     |  EVADE?   | 
                      | HOLD      |             | HOLD      |                        
                      | FIRE      |+-----------+| FIRE      |                        
                      |           || AWARE     || MORE      |                        
                      |           ||           || (NEVER)?  |                        
         | KEEP      |             +-----------+             | STAY UP   |           
         | LOW       |                                       |           |           
         +-----------+             | SAFE      |             +-----------+           
                                   |           |                                     
                                   |           |                                     
                                   |           |                                     
                                   +-----------+                                     
G - Gearing, vehicle interaction, and object interaction.
                                   +-----------+                                     
                                   | GET IN AS |                                     
                                   | COMMANDER |                                     
         | GET IN AS |             |           |             | GET IN AS |           
         | GUNNER    |             +-----------+             | DRIVER    |           
         +-----------+             | GET IN    |             +-----------+           
                      +-----------+| ANYWHERE  |+-----------+                        
                      | GET IN AS ||           || GET IN AS |                        
                      | LEFT GUN  ||           || RIGHT GUN |                        
|HEAL AT    |     |RELOAD OR  |     |           |     |TOGGLE ENG |     |TOGGLE LGT | 
|OR DYNAMIC1|     |DYNAMIC 2  |     |           |     |(VEHICLE OR|     |(VEHICLE OR| 
|           |     |           |     |           |     |OBJECT) OR |     |OBJECT) OR | 
|           |     |           |     |           |     |DYNAMIC 3  |     |DYNAMIC 4  | 
                      |  OPEN     |             | CLIMB     |                        
                      |  DOOR     |+-----------+| UP        |                        
                      |           || GET IN AS ||           |                        
                      |           ||  CARGO    || (LADDER)  |                        
         | CLOSE     |             +-----------+             | CLIMB     |           
         | DOOR      |                                       | DOWN      |           
         |           |             +-----------+             | (LADDER)  |           
         +-----------+             | GEAR AT   |             +-----------+           
                                   | THIS      |                                     
                                   | VEHICLE   |                                     
                                   | OR OBJECT |                                     
                                   +-----------+                                     
R - Reports and support system.
                                   +-----------+                                     
                                   | REPORT    |                                     
                                   | TARGET    |                                     
         |  INJURED  |             | (REVEAL)  |             |  UNDER    |           
         |           |             +-----------+             |  FIRE     |           
         +-----------+             | REPORT    |             +-----------+           
                      +-----------+| AUDIBLE   |+-----------+                        
                      | ONE LESS  || TARGET    || ... IS    |                        
                      |           ||           || DOWN      |                        
|           |     | AMMO LOW  |     |           |     | FUEL LOW  |     |           | 
                      |  REAMMO   |             |  REFUEL   |                        
                      |  TRUCK    |+-----------+|  TRUCK    |                        
                      |           || REPAIR    ||           |                        
                      |           || TRUCK     ||           |                        
         | MEDIC     |                                       | AMBULANCE |           
                                   | SUPPORT   |                                     
                                   |  DONE     |                                     
                                   |           |                                     
                                   +-----------+                                     
? - Anything future stuff, addon based of whatever. Just a blank template to experiment with.
                                   +-----------+                                     
                                   |           |                                     
                                   |           |                                     
         |           |             |           |             |           |           
                      |           ||           ||           |                        
                                   |           |                                     
                                   |           |                                     
                                   |           |                                     
                                   +-----------+                                     

Edited by CarlGustaffa

I really, really hope you're joking with that, CarlGustaffa... :butbut: