Sign in to follow this  
PacX

Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead - Radial Command Menu

Should ArmA 2: Operation Arrowhead feature 1 radial command menu rather than 10?  

230 members have voted

1. 1. Should ArmA 2: Operation Arrowhead feature 1 radial command menu rather than 10?

I've always missed a radial command menu similar to what BF2 has.

It just seems so much easier to access and use for purposes when you are in combat.

Either BF2 style (Preferred), OFP2 style or a mix of both (Different tabs, but mouse controlled).

Would look way more proffesional than all these strange menu's we currently have.

P.S. Please post why you voted what you voted! :)

Mentioning "that other game" on this forum won't get you a lot of love. :p

To be honest I find both games' radials to be lacking in one way or another. BF2's is limited to where you're pointing, as is "that other games". Arma 2 also has many more commands than either game, and much more complex ones. I think if they were to go for the radial aesthetic with Arma 2, it'd simply be a complicated radial menu. ;)

Unless that said radial menu is to either have 100 buttons or 50 submenus I can't see it working.

How come? Let's face it. There are not THAT many commands in ArmA 2.

And 30-40% of them are rarely used.

How come? Let's face it. There are not THAT many commands in ArmA 2.

And 30-40% of them are rarely used.

lol wut :eek:

lol wut :eek:

50 submenus or 100 buttons?

I doubt it heavily. Show me 100 commands in ArmA 2 and I'll disagree with my own suggestion.

I order my commands without even looking at the damn menu, its not that hard guys ;)

This would mostly be used to control AI anyway, due to serious coop sessions almost always use Teamspeak.

There's also a bunch of the commands which the AI barely understands, so it wouldn't matter if 3 or 4 went down since we already have these "100" commands. >_>

P.S. Please post why you voted what you voted! :)

I voted no because:

1.) I can't see how to make a radial command menu with all the commands ArmA 2 has and still make it more functional then the current command system is.

2.) I like the current command system, with a bit of practice it's simple enough to use.

I voted no because:

1.) I can't see how to make a radial command menu with all the commands ArmA 2 has and still make it more functional then the current command system is.

2.) I like the current command system, with a bit of practice it's simple enough to use.

You wouldn't need "a bit of practice" with this system.

OFDR has radial menu and its pretty weird to use. Not practical at all. One thing is that you cant go back from sub menu. Sure they could make better version of it but no. Im used to OFP style menu and would not like to get used to anything else. Radial menu requires sub menus as well and then its the same. Lol, how is that you would not need practice for that as well? Its the same basically just different skin.

Numbers are the best way. Voted NO.

OFDR has radial menu and its pretty weird to use. Not practical at all. One thing is that you cant go back from sub menu. Sure they could make better version of it but no. Im used to OFP style menu and would not like to get used to anything else. Radial menu requires sub menus as well and then its the same. Lol, how is that you would not need practice for that as well? Its the same basically just different skin.

In a radial menu, you just press a button and move your mouse. When you've gotten the command you want to use you press mouse1.

Currently, there are 10 command menus (If not more) where you can quite often press the wrong one.

When I started on this game I didn't even know about that you first press space to select everyone then choose another menu. It took me a 1-2 weeks before someone gave me the tip, that might just be me, but it sure was annoying to find out that I hadn't been using the game to full potential with the AI for 2 weeks. I've had the game for 4 months now and I still quite often press the wrong key, or have to look through the menu's to find out which command is where several times.

When I got OFP2DR (Yes, I was heavily disappointed about the game it self) it took me a matter of 60 minutes to figure out where each and every command is.

Simple put, because it all made sense.

You go in the formations tab, what do you expect to see? Formations.

Even better was it with BF2. I've had that game for years now and I still play it once in a while (Project Reality though). Took me 5mins to learn it inside out (Yes I am aware it has something like 15commands in Q and 6+ in T menu).

No way!

It would break the whole atmosphere in this game.

Would you like to have any HUD/console symbols pop-up directly into your virtual face or on your virtual nose?

Would you like to get a full stop in the (dynamic) mission your are playing?

If you can spend time learning other games interfaces/commands - you can learn those from Arma2 too. ;)

How would it break the atmosphere to see a nicely designed semi-transparent radial menu that fills less in total on the screen than that green monster hop down on the screen when you want it and no other time?

How would it break the atmosphere to see a nicely designed semi-transparent radial menu that fills less in total on the screen than that green monster hop down on the screen when you want it and no other time?

You mean the little green semi-transparent menu on the side...

You mean the little green semi-transparent menu on the side...

You consider a radial menu big, I'm just like you :V

Unless that said radial menu is to either have 100 buttons or 50 submenus I can't see it working.
:yeahthat:

Come on guys, it's really not that hard to learn the commands. and about not using them so much; I actually use all of them regularly, the more you command ur AI the less they do wrong.

Edited by SASrecon

In a radial menu, you just press a button and move your mouse. When you've gotten the command you want to use you press mouse1.

Currently, there are 10 command menus (If not more) where you can quite often press the wrong one.

When I started on this game I didn't even know about that you first press space to select everyone then choose another menu. It took me a 1-2 weeks before someone gave me the tip, that might just be me, but it sure was annoying to find out that I hadn't been using the game to full potential with the AI for 2 weeks. I've had the game for 4 months now and I still quite often press the wrong key, or have to look through the menu's to find out which command is where several times.

When I got OFP2DR (Yes, I was heavily disappointed about the game it self) it took me a matter of 60 minutes to figure out where each and every command is.

Simple put, because it all made sense.

You go in the formations tab, what do you expect to see? Formations.

Even better was it with BF2. I've had that game for years now and I still play it once in a while (Project Reality though). Took me 5mins to learn it inside out (Yes I am aware it has something like 15commands in Q and 6+ in T menu).

First, so what if you press wrong one? Go back and press the right one. You dont have to press numbers either you know. You can scroll down and select what you want. You dont need some kind of fast reaction menu in arma. But there is one too. You have some basics like get in/out, move, formation switch and you can operate fast with it and it is not complicated at all.

Second, OFDR has more then twice as less commands then ArmA2. Thats why that radial menu actually is semi functional and you needed 60 minutes to learn it.

However, there could be more (and more in detail) tuturials about commanding troops so new players dont have so much trouble. There was tutorials in previous games (OFP, ArmA1).

Aside from the most basic commands I'd say that the current system is the fastest one. Quick and fairly easy-to-learn number-sequences means that lots of commands can be given quickly. The only area currently needing improvement is to enter specific positions in vehicles or loot ammo/weapons from bodies, since it's kind'a hard to find the 'right one' in the list.

C´mon guys, the radial menu is very good, very intuitive and also is the same that the OFP has and ArmA1 has ... so the radial menu is practically natural for the old OFP gamers (like me)...who is the 90% of the actual ArmA2 gamers, so i think if you change it then you will need a lot of more time to learn a new system.

I sincerely prefer that BIS use the time in change/fix other things with bugs or imperfections (IA, weapons systems, sounds, optimization, etc) that they use the time to change something that works perfect.

Regards

Radial commands however risk become very slow, even if it is a more intuitive system and easy to use for newcomers. Not to mention that it risks 'blocking' other controls (like the ability to fire) and your field of view.

A radial command system can be awesome, but due to complexity of the commands existing in the game a lot of them can't be easily translated into a raidial menu without making it 10x more complicated to use than the current way.

And what radial menu did good ol' OFP have? I can only recall the usual 1-0 number menu (unless you mean that horrid abomination made by Codemasters?).

Usually people dont like to be distracted by anything during the mission - regardless how "nicely" designed the menu is. It should work very well and not function as an stylish eyecandy. ;)

These green consolish signs are in since Armed Assault. Rumours say that these strange things are implemented to make the game more accessible to casual/mainstream players....

Voice commands FOR THE WIN

/thread

Yes radial voice commanding :p