Sign in to follow this  
LJF

Pазорени� island

Jungle - would you rather FPS or Thickness?  

217 members have voted

1. 1. Jungle - would you rather FPS or Thickness?

• I would rather the jungle be thick, regardless of bad performance.
    • I would rather the jungle have high[er] FPS: sacrifice the thickness.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIMxSLWv6hI&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIMxSLWv6hI&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Shows a bit of Razoreniya.

Next to do is the ruined city/town in the north (for some nice 'ol heavy CQB ;)) and the savanna.

so when will we get our hands on this island?

:)

It says clearly in his first post "PÐ°Ð·Ð¾Ñ€ÐµÐ½Ð¸Ñ - 35% Complete" and if LJF wants to tell you what that means so be it. But general code around here is to be patient and especially not keep asking for when the work is ready for release. It is done when its done. LJF is kind enough to keep the percentage info official. ;)

EDIT: And oh - awesome video, awesome island LJF!

May i make a small suggestion ?

Consider changing the name to something more African.Razoreniya sounds a bit Eastern to me.

Great video, great island.

Looking forward to the 'East African Safari Rally Challenge while evading Guerillas'-Game Mode... :)

D.

LJF: what gridsize do you use in this 5120x5120m island?

cool video :thumbsup:

just wish I could pronounce the name lol

Oh thats not that hard actually: Razoreniya

Even pretty catchy. :) Can be pronounced the american way razor-enya or with a middle eastern accent: Rasor-enia.

Good stuff.

Seems really good stuff... But the name ? Doesn't really fit the place... a slavic african country with cyrillic alphabet... quite unheard of...

You could have gone Local (insert african language like Swahili) / French / English /Arabic or even Dutch sounding (South Africa)... but Russian ?

Great video, great island.

Looking forward to the 'East African Safari Rally Challenge while evading Guerillas'-Game Mode... :)

D.

Haha, it's called "Extreme Rally Razoreniya" and instead of checkpoints you go through checkpoints :)

IceBreakr, it's 512x512 with 10m cell size. Is that what you meant?

As to the name, I wanted to try something different, say, perhaps the USSR got involved with Africa and now, in 2010 they're still trying to hold onto the land, perhaps there's really good dates there, there sure is a lot of date palms ;) The idea is it's a Russian owned island that has been destabilized by war/revolution.

I'm currently creating a ruined "soviet style" town/city (inspired by Warhammer 40k a little, and a little by the war in Bosnia, and WW2 of course), wanna see how it looks in dense jungle you see, I'm guessing pretty cool :)

Edited by LJF

Is this designed specifically for this rally race, or could one make a mission on it for actual fighting?

Terrain is looking great, rally idea... not my thing, but each to their own.

I just wonder though, Russian (and US for that matter) involvement has been kind of done to death. and there are already a number of great islands out there for their use.

Why not consider the islands prime economy being based around conflict diamonds

It's a seriously cause of conflict in areas of Africa.

The majority of conflicts these days are fought by proxy, and I suppose if you were desperate to have Russian involvement, they could have vested non-military interest, or supply the mercenary/mine owners/rebel faction etc. with their required equipment.

A small island with Guerilla, Jungle skirmishes over small diamond deposits, villages of mud huts in clearings, burnt areas of jungle, muddy truck tracks, overgrown Spanish/French colonial ruins.

A small contingent of UN aid workers and journalists camped out in their 'tent city' refugee camps or field hospitals. Idealistic Christian missionaries holed up in their church communities.

These would also propose some more interesting landscaping ideas.

Found some ref's for Diamond Mining and it's effects,

I just see so many promising island ideas dashed by lack of imagination with regards to back story/history, I had to speak up.

Don't take this as an attack, they're merely suggestions, and I probably wouldn't comment if didn't feel there was something really interesting going on in this project.

E

I just see so many promising island ideas dashed by lack of imagination with regards to back story/history, I had to speak up.

It's an island, a blank canvas, it's up to you and other mission makers to set the story.

---------- Post added at 06:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:32 AM ----------

That said, it's true, Russia is not known for its African colonialism and if there is a lot of Russian signage that'd be hard to work around without scripting its removal. Still think it's a bit strong to tar map-makers (including this one specifically) as 'lacking imagination', you can always make your own maps you know.

oh my god that video was amazing.

I wanna see how this one finishes, I like the way you promote the island

through this rally concept! Will you have sand dunes as well? DAKAR style?

Good luck with mixing eastern europe with african architecture, should give

some inovative scenery!

Yeah, it will be hard to fight AI in there. They see you, but you are unable to see them. Anyway it looks fantastic. A for only SpecOps map.

I can sense some Vietnam-inspired missions coming on..

This island and the RH M16/M4 pack will be awesome. Just need some Vietcong units!

It's an island, a blank canvas, it's up to you and other mission makers to set the story.

See, there I'm afraid I disagree, and I believe it's that concept that tends to intrinsically flaw

map creation.

It is, at the very start, completely in the hands of the map maker to lay down the rules or fictional 'canon' of the scenario.

It is only then down to the 'mission makers' to decided whether or not they will follow or break these rules within their character-centric stories.

The Ocean, I feel is the blank canvas, Geography/History/culture. These are the key factors why maps like Nogova, Tonal and Chernarus felt like living breathing countries.

They informed the player as to the stakes. Why they were there, what were they fighting for/over, and why it was so important.

Considerations were likely taken by the developers every step of the way, from the lumps of volcanic rock that formed out of the ocean, through the growth of jungle/forest, to the sprawling network of towns and fields of human colonisation.

If there is no defined background the place just feels hollow, and I wonder what the hell I'm doing there.

The same can be said about storytelling in games in general, but I'm not going to go there in this thread...:rolleyes:

Re: My comment about 'lacking imagination', well, yes that may have been a bit harsh... not really sure of the right words I was looking for...

I also fully intend to get to grips with the Visitor editor when time allows.

E

Electric, there is no Russian involvement set in stone, the only thing that hints to their presence (either current or old) is the ruined Soviet-looking architecture, as Defunkt said it's very much a blank canvas, there are no current Russian things on the island, so if you want them to never be there that's easy to do, and what's there could have been left by any other colonial nation. I do however like your idea of conflict diamonds, I'd been considering why Russia would try to hold onto the island for a while, that's the best I've got so far. Furthermore, my "Russian" Razoreniyan rally was a kind of alternate reality if you will, kind of like how there were no zombies on Chernarus, or not a thousand barrels appearing above Chernorgorsk either.

Haha, as to the rally thing, like Paragraphic said, just a way to promote/show the island. Rally was an afterthought really, though I intend to put it in there as a sample mission :)

ruinsr.jpg

Showing an early build of the ruined city, as you can see, nobody has lived there for quite a while. It would be great for PvP, AI can't handle the rubble I don't think.

Edit: I know what you mean Electric, it's why I hate stories that leave it up to the viewer to decide what happens.

Edited by LJF

See, there I'm afraid I disagree, and I believe it's that concept that tends to intrinsically flaw

map creation.

It is, at the very start, completely in the hands of the map maker to lay down the rules or fictional 'canon' of the scenario.

It is only then down to the 'mission makers' to decided whether or not they will follow or break these rules within their character-centric stories.

The Ocean, I feel is the blank canvas, Geography/History/culture. These are the key factors why maps like Nogova, Tonal and Chernarus felt like living breathing countries.

They informed the player as to the stakes. Why they were there, what were they fighting for/over, and why it was so important.

Considerations were likely taken by the developers every step of the way, from the lumps of volcanic rock that formed out of the ocean, through the growth of jungle/forest, to the sprawling network of towns and fields of human colonisation.

If there is no defined background the place just feels hollow, and I wonder what the hell I'm doing there.

The same can be said about storytelling in games in general, but I'm not going to go there in this thread...:rolleyes:

Re: My comment about 'lacking imagination', well, yes that may have been a bit harsh... not really sure of the right words I was looking for...

I also fully intend to get to grips with the Visitor editor when time allows.

E

Wow! Arma players are deep :p

And that ruined city looks awesome! looks like the type of environment id wanna fight in

Edited by Katipo66

Yeah, sorry, I'm currently trying to do a write-up for the background of a film script, so my thoughts have been whirring around story and it's construction...

The ruined city does indeed look awesome!

AI is gonna FAIL in that ruined city! xD

But regardless, the map looks awesome. Really cannot wait till its finished!! :D

Just had a pretty annoying setback: unfortunately the houseblock series of "ruins" don't AI viewblock or stop incoming projectiles, so they're going to have to be replaced. They're also the best ruins in the game, which means that the ruined city will be a whole lot flatter. Edit: Partially fixed.

Edit2 : Found some good replacements, the city is up and running!

Edited by LJF

Yeah, sorry, I'm currently trying to do a write-up for the background of a film script, so my thoughts have been whirring around story and it's construction...

The ruined city does indeed look awesome!

On the contrary, it was a good read... and i totally agree :)

So at this point when fighting against AI you have to stay away from the jungle and try to get them into the urban area's... pretty balanced like that! :D

Will try and recreate the famous alone in the forest mission from OFP in that jungle!

Heavy rain and thunder while some heavy armor and infantry close-in to your position, but all you see is some leaves!

OK, another update, now comes with a poll, I wanna see what you guys think of the jungle, I'm working on a "reduced" jungle sample and will show comparison pics at some point I hope, but what do you think about jungle thickness vs fps?

Note, currently I'm experiencing worse performance than Chernarus, by about 20%, however, the jungle looks rather nice now, I don't really know what to do at this point.

Edit: I just removed a the little bushes from the jungle and with 16 samples (about 400x400m) of jungle I got these results:

With bushes - 50 fps dropped to 33.

Without bushes - 50 fps stayed the same.

I'm now seriously considering just axing the lot of the little buggers :p

Edited by LJF