Sign in to follow this  
LJF

Pазорени� island

Jungle - would you rather FPS or Thickness?  

217 members have voted

1. 1. Jungle - would you rather FPS or Thickness?

• I would rather the jungle be thick, regardless of bad performance.
    • I would rather the jungle have high[er] FPS: sacrifice the thickness.

noooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We need good jungles!

Take the axe and get those buggers and fps droppers to the sawmill.

No need to have places where you can't do anything except to gaze at it.

Arrrrgh.... I'm torn between cm.'s and NoRailgunner's opinions...

I'd love dense jungle, but my poor computer can't even handle Chernogorsk.

Save the rain forest! I would love to see a realistic jungle in ArmA2, I have never seen anything like the screenshots and movie you posted up in ArmA or ofp, I was just blown away, I would hate not to be able use it.

Why don't you handle it the way it was done with schmalfelden? Release both ^^

LJF: Is it not possible to release 2 versions like Nicholas Bell did with Schmalfelden for ArmA1? One with more vegetation (the extra bushes) and one without. This way most people can enjoy your island and not only big rigs.

I dont know much about island making for ARMA though so if this is a massive undertaking im not holding it against you to go with one version of your choice. :)

Ok, in a group of 800 trees, there was another 400+ bushes, I've left the trees/jungle alone and just axed the bushes, fps is great now and the jungle looks better in some places. Of course, some bits look more sparse than before, but the FPS increase makes it worthwhile. But hey, a picture speaks a thousand words so here's 3,000 ;)

arma22010030520032790.th.jpg

arma22010030520020768.th.jpg

arma22010030520015297.th.jpg

As you can see, it runs quite well now :)

The city is looking good too now, it's finished, just got to stick in the "real" jungle - nearly 4sq km of pure un-touched jungle.

arma22010030517534380.th.jpg

arma22010030517514129.th.jpg

Over 50% of the island is covered now, and what's done is the complicated and hard parts, shouldn't be too much work to get it to release now.

I cant belive my EYES!

Best Jungle ever made for ARMA2!!

Keep up your great work!

Suggestion for a Misson: Colombian drug raid. Raid a Kokalab in the jungel and destroy it.

:)

I think the poll should include "Release a Max vegetation and also medium vegetation version?"

Because that's what I would want to select, and yet Schmalfelden did this justice by releasing actually 3 versions .. light, medium. heavy.

Its pretty clear from the outset you will have issues on rigs .. so to cater to both would get your map in the must have list I think :)

I can imagine using GL4 and Patrol scripts on this with African soldiers and being spec ops and hunting them down on patrols. Whats the path finding like in the dense areas for patrols and AI BTW (On foot)?

I think the poll should include "Release a Max vegetation and also medium vegetation version?"

Because that's what I would want to select, and yet Schmalfelden did this justice by releasing actually 3 versions .. light, medium. heavy.

I also have the same opinion, my rig would be fine im sure lucky enough for me but just unfair on other users which have poor performence. Looking great btw :D

My first thought was the same as the ones above... release multiple versions.

But as that would create a MP hassle you'd be better of finding the right balance.

As most hosts would want to use the High version I reccon and you as user have to check what your favourite servers use and either play with that or find a server with the one you can run.

I second that actually thinking about it, no doubt this map will be a huge MP success, so thats another thing to take into account! food for thought :)

dude this shit is tight!! Looks absolutely AMAZING.

EDIT:

btw, if possible I would release a high-end and a more low-end version of the map if you still have FPS issues. Don't know if it's too much hassle.

You should do a preformance test with gameplay in the Jungel.

Load up massive battle in the jungel and se how it run.

Wow! Shockingly good looking jungle and ruins. :)

I just discovered and read through the whole thread. One thing that caught my attention:

Showing an early build of the ruined city, as you can see, nobody has lived there for quite a while. It would be great for PvP, AI can't handle the rubble I don't think.

I really hope you can get at least semi-decent AI pathfinding in the ruined city and towns. It's so very important for small-number-of-player coops, not to mention all the rpg mission ideas I've got brewing up there in my head.

In any event, very eager for release here. Thanks for this! :D

Ok, I've had to cull the jungle a little bit, but I've made it work much better and I think it actually looks better now.

[uPDATED] - Now shows a mockup-jungle.

arma22010030622530301.th.jpg

arma22010030622525106.th.jpg

arma22010030622480570.th.jpg

That's the new undergrowth, I've still got to give it a bit more thickness, but it's coming along nicely, I'll probably go with this now since it runs much better. It has just over half as many objects as the previous version including the larger trees/canopy. What do you think?

Edit: Testing in-game now, also, MadRussian, the AI "can" handle the city, they can climb the rubble and even use it's parts as cover, however they do sometimes stand at the top and turn around repeatedly for some reason.

Edited by LJF

I like this look, although the bigger trees have sort of low quality textures which I noticed pretty quick in this picture, but probably won't while walking there.

You don't notice them all that much, and this jungle actually works a whole lot better for combat, you get lanes of sparse and then thick bits instead of just all thick, which is much more realistic and means you get interesting (and still really long) firefights. There also might be less LOD popping I think, which is a good thing for sure as it was a real problem before.

What's also quite interesting is that in many places you have to actually backtrack or go around because the vegetation is too thick, which is pretty cool.

Just did a test with about 60 units and I got 35-40 FPS with high settings, not sure if it'll improve later on when I get rid of the old jungles because I still have to add some, so hopefully it'll stay the same. The firefight I got though lasted about 10 minutes and was quite intense, the AI really unloads into that foliage I can tell you :D

"РазорениÑ" - it no so good songs at russian, i guess.

Maybe "Разоренный" will be better? It more correct phonetic.

Ð Ð°Ð·Ð¾Ñ€ÐµÐ½Ð¸Ñ - it mean - whats going right now.

Разоренный - it mean - whats happened some time ago with object.

Короче, еÑли понимаешь по руÑÑки - может лучше назвать "Разоренный" - Ñ‚.е. по правильному употреблению падежей. Потому что "РазорениÑ" - по руÑÑки ну ÑовÑем никак не звучит...

Тем более еÑли в качеÑтве иÑходника Ð´Ð»Ñ Ð½Ð°Ð·Ð²Ð°Ð½Ð¸Ñ Ð²Ñ‹Ð±Ð¸Ñ€Ð°Ð»Ð¾ÑÑŒ Ñлово Ruins.

These pictures are absolutely stunning! They look better, than in real life :)

Already thought about some tasty waterfalls? ^^

well is that possible?

Dont you need that as a Static FX?