Sign in to follow this  
avibird 1

What if Rockstar hooked up with Bohemia to make ARMA game.

Way to go. Can't even read the post above yours. :rolleyes:

I love GTA IV myself, even if I don't play it as much as I do ArmA II. But GTA IV is a mainstream title that, while a very good one, is still compromising to cater to the foaming-at-the-mouth masses. One thing that I have always liked about BIS' games is their refusal to dumb it down to appeal to said masses. While I think Rockstar are one of the best mainstream developers, I also think BIS is the best non-mainstream developer, and a joint venture with the two could only result in a mainstream game otherwise Rockstar will not like the profits.

Some of the replies in this thread are truly biased, myopic rubbish and clearly aimed to antagonise those of us who have the audacity to enjoy some console gaming, as far as I'm concerned that's flamebaiting, it stops or people will receive infractions.

Somebody feeling inferior because he likes consoles? :D:D:D:p

Hi all

I think Rockstar would make the best publishing partner for BIS.

They have a similar outlook on quality and replayability and the marketing clout that would be of great benefit to BIS.

Kind Regards walker

Personally I'm a huge fan of what Rockstar do, as a predominantly 360 gamer these days I think their engine is about as good an engine on that platform as is available, as someone who's also a huge fan of the western genre dating back to reading the Western pulp fiction that my Dad was reading 25 years ago I cannot wait for Red Dead Redemption, it's really looking spectacular IMO.

Don't like GTA4 much (surprise,surprise) but RDR looks good to me. The older the firearm, the more I enjoy the shooting personally. You Western fans should check out 1866 mod for Mount and Blade, pretty polished and lots of fun fighting as Cowboy or Indian (Commanche/Apache).

http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/board,150.0.html

Rockstar is into making super-high-budget mass market games that generate revenue in the hundreds of millions, not niche military sims. But it's a very nice pipe dream, to think what Arma could be if it was a triple-A title like GTA.

You want a Modern City Life Simulation, where you can murder civilians with proper ballistics of the projectiles leaving the end of your barrel?

Crime rates have gone down since the beginning of the digital Era for the reason I've mentioned above. You have GTA IV, what more could you want?

They also have an MMO coming out based on GTA..

---------- Post added at 08:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:02 PM ----------

Don't like GTA4 much (surprise,surprise) but RDR looks good to me. The older the firearm, the more I enjoy the shooting personally. You Western fans should check out 1866 mod for Mount and Blade, pretty polished and lots of fun fighting as Cowboy or Indian (Commanche/Apache).

http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/board,150.0.html

I was looking at that one today lol.

Actually is a good idea imagine an huge living city with people that go about their business,walking around,reading,listening to some music,eating some fast food,driving their cars then all of a sudden an invasion force does what it does best it "invades" the city(opfor).You have at your disposal let's say the equivalent of Arma 2 arsenal.

People screaming,explosions,cars burning,cops trying to get people to safety,emergency vehicles moving around.In general AI and the city to react a little to your actions.You manage to establish an HQ then you plan to occupy different zones in the city.

Then after you get 6 stars :p(instead of wanted level you get invasion level) the bluefor starts pouring in the city with all their hardware tanks,choppers etc. to face you.Basically after a while the city becomes a battlefield.(like in Prototype)

This is my idea of BIS meets Rockstar,Rockstar creates the city,the atmosphere and the little details then BIS creates the military part.Some sort of an evolved Freedom Fighters game where instead of a few guys you control an army.

I think we already have the technology to create something like this,instead of an entire Chernarus you make one big city(maybe the only problem is that you'll need an very powerfull cpu to handle the AI).Another problem will be that I'm 90% sure the game will be bug-ridden especially the AI.

Now trying to convince(fool) a publisher to fund something like this it's another deal,not to mention the time involved.

Rockstar fails to compare to what Bohemia is.

Lets put a bit of perspective on this.... Rockstars Grand Theft Auto 4 sold more copies in 24 hours (3.7 million), then BIS has sold of all its games combined over the last 10 years. Im sure Rockstar is very upset to hear you think they don't compare to BIS......

Now personally I spent far more time playing OFP/ArmA games then I have GTA games, and really didn't care for GTA4 that much. And of course BIS and Rockstar are two totally different studios, with totally different situations and goals. But to say Rockstar fails to compare to BIS? Thats just plain fanboy talk, ignoring the facts that Rockstar is one of the top game developers in the world... and most people have never heard of BIS.

BIS is good at what they do (tho with little competition other then the absolutly terrible OFP2... theres not much competition in their target market)... and Rockstar is good at what they do. Leave it at that...

^^^ Oh god no!

which obviously lacks in ArmA2.. well AI can shoot, but they cant drive

In that case BIS should remember how it was in OFP where AI actually could drive

In that case BIS should remember how it was in OFP where AI actually could drive

Not this again please...

OFP is really not that perfect as everyone makes it to be.

Many years ago when I started switching from PC to consoles for my gaming needs (please no console smack stay on topic) with OFP ELITE for the old xbox. After a few years I got a 360 and was disappointed with all the crap FPS hitting the market. I was telling other console players about OFP/OFP ELITE. I told people that never played OFP that it was like the old ghost recon/RB six (PC) games and the Grand theft auto liberty city/vice city games in one. That was my take and my dream on how a game should be.

Imaging an open world like GTA with real living cities and OFP/ARMA combat gameplay. That would be my wet dream for a games.

ARMA1 come out 2007 and it was a great step forward but not close to what I had in my mind. 2009 ARMA2 is released still a great game and a leep forward but still not what I had in my mind a few years ago.

A few days ago I was watching the new videos of ROCKSTARS new game RED DEAD REDEMPTION and I was thinking how great the game looks, how great rockstar makes an open world environment with somewhat dynamic AI throughout the game world and How polished rockstar game are on release.

I know GTA and ARMA games are different types of games but they have a lot of the same elements in the overall game world and gameplay then you think. BOHEMIA needs a good publisher to allow them to make a complete product and help them fix some of the deficits on release and a world wide release date for all regions/platforms.

What do you guys think if BOHEMIA could get a real partner to make a game. I know that bohemia got burned with codemasters but they do need help to make a complete product and to bring the game to the next level. I think bohemia is a great company but we all need some help to reach our full potential.

No no no. When you get a big ass publisher, they start dictating what needs to be done in the game to "sell it."

That's crap.

In this case Arma2 would become a simple shooter, easy to produce, easy to maintain, as a bad example: Codmaster.

Not this again please...

OFP is really not that perfect as everyone makes it to be.

This.

The AI in OFP were just as useless at driving as they are in ArmA2. Big case of rose tinted specs here...

Indeed. Send a column of tanks in one direction, and send a column of tanks in the opposite direction on a road, and watch what happens when they try to get around each other.

:D

OFP was/is a great game, but it was far from perfect, and it took a very long time for it to get to the state it's in now. I mean, look at the version number, it's v1.96. They were running out of version numbers...

Rockstar fails to compare to what Bohemia is.

Hahahahha xD !

I think the main thing people forget is that ArmA2 is a true sandbox, and if it were made by Rockstar, or a larger studio, the ease of modification and things like that would not be such a big focus for them.

I'd rather have ArmA with all its flaws and hiccups than a game I can't break apart and make into whatever I really want it to be. I mean look at the ArmA2 TS3 stuff... Sure its possible in other games, but the ease in which a lot of this stuff is being done is fairly remarkable.

Personally I'm still surprised (but also relieved) that BIS hasn't been taken over by the major game industry players. With the OFP franchise they have a quite unique game with a solid community, who is more dedicated then most other 'fanboys'.

Alot of developers should be jealous at BIS how they accomplished that.

I agree that the game could be more polished but U have to ask yourself at what cost. Better graphics, realistic physic modelling, and the rest probably means the engine isn't going to be that open as it is these days. Also making new mods for a to advanced engine should create some issues.

To think U can have of both worlds isn't very realistic IMHO.

Beautiful dancer Isadora Duncan suggested that she and G. B. Shaw should have a child together. "Think of it!" she said, "With your brains and my body, what a wonder it would be." Shaw thought for a moment and replied, "Yes, but what if it had my body and your brains?"

Beautiful dancer Isadora Duncan suggested that she and G. B. Shaw should have a child together. "Think of it!" she said, "With your brains and my body, what a wonder it would be." Shaw thought for a moment and replied, "Yes, but what if it had my body and your brains?"

This...

This is made of awesome. and win.

That is just...

Jesus, I can't think of a developer more awesome than BIS. :D

Rock on, Suma!

True that my friend! :D