Sign in to follow this  
avibird 1

What if Rockstar hooked up with Bohemia to make ARMA game.

Isn't it strange how, whenever any other game is mentioned alongside ArmA2, most people will always concentrate on the things they don't like the most, instead of acknowledging where things could possibly be better. No-one mentioned that scripted combat be brought into ArmA2 until someone moaned that it'd be a bad idea. No-one mentioned objective stars until someone moaned that it'd be a bad idea. No-one mentioned social club membership, a games for windows membership, online activation until someone moaned that it'd be a bad idea.

You get the idea :)

However, seeing as ambiance is rated as *quite* important in ArmA2, I'd suggest that a Rockstar style "bubble" of civilian ambiance would be a good idea. I don't think it requires simulation of every single civilian that could possibly live on a map, just the immediate area surrounding active units.

If you ever just go into your local town and just watch people at random, there's absolutely no difference between knowing that each person has a purpose, destination, contacts, home etc, and a random movement of anonymous civilians.

To be clear - I believe that all military units should always be processed just like they are now. But for the civilian ambiance, that's not needed.

Oh, and who DOESN'T want ragdoll and Euphoria-style AI effects? Those are radically good technologies if applied appropriately. I understand the MP limitations of such things, but really only torsos and their final resting places need to be synced. No-one's going to moan about arms & legs being in different positions on each body.

I am perfectly relaxed, thanks for asking. And did you stop to think what computers were common gamers running back in the 2001? I sure as hell wasn't one of the very few who could run OFP maxxed up with good FPS for a long time after its release.

And regarding spawning units - of course it works in GTA, Mafia, Just Cause, the Abomination of Godfather and similar open wolrd car-hijacking games... but that's because the cars and pedestrians are just moving props. You see it, you use it. If you don't, you don't care what will happen with it once it goes out of your sight (despawn)... that wouldn't work very well with enemies, would it. But you don't need me to explain that, just visit Codemasters DR forum and check a few threads on how people like the idea of going somewhere and enemies popping out of thin air or magically appearing where you cleaned the area before and see for yourself how that concept worked.

EDIT: And as for thinking about ragdoll in 2001... I guess you haven't heard about the (rather unsuccessful) game called Trespasser (1998)? Its engine features something you can call a spiritual predecessor of Havok physics.

Yep ive played all GTA titles, i know how the game works, even with AI spawning its still one kick arse game, just wish they ported to pc better, and yea without the stupid DRM.

Anyway, it would be nice to see some features from GTA in arma, just some features...

Arma 2 with auto aim?

Not interested.

I think it would be great to add a bit of R* polish to Arma 2, but that developer wants games accessible to the masses and this one will never be like that.

Isn't it strange how, whenever any other game is mentioned alongside ArmA2, most people will always concentrate on the things they don't like the most, instead of acknowledging where things could possibly be better. No-one mentioned that scripted combat be brought into ArmA2 until someone moaned that it'd be a bad idea. No-one mentioned objective stars until someone moaned that it'd be a bad idea. No-one mentioned social club membership, a games for windows membership, online activation until someone moaned that it'd be a bad idea.

The reason is simple, it's all too easy to say, "Hey, I like such and such features from Rambo-shooterX, mix the 2 games and you'd have a winner...". The people who say such things are in a sense wearing the same blinders that you accuse the "moaners' of -that being, in reality when projects are merged, you're going to lose something on both ends. IMO, the loss is too great to justify the speculative gains.

Like you said, if this was another "I want Euphoria or ragdoll thread", you would not hear the skeptical worries of merging two totally different games.

I love games with good AI pathfinding but please do not merge Arma2 with Ms. Pacman:p

Arma 2 with auto aim?

Not interested.

I think it would be great to add a bit of R* polish to Arma 2, but that developer wants games accessible to the masses and this one will never be like that.

I'm afraid to tell you that it's actually included...

5bn00bsonlyjn00bsonly.jpg

:D

at least they actually drive on bridges :p

That is true. :)

I'm not saying that GTA4 is crap, I'm still playing it and if its just to cause havoc on the streets. Just merging the two or even having Rockstar as Publisher is something we don't really want.

Arma 2 with auto aim?

Not interested.

This is what I'm talking about :D

---------- Post added at 07:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:15 PM ----------

The reason is simple, it's all too easy to say, "Hey, I like such and such features from Rambo-shooterX, mix the 2 games and you'd have a winner...". The people who say such things are in a sense wearing the same blinders that you accuse the "moaners' of -that being, in reality when projects are merged, you're going to lose something on both ends. IMO, the loss is too great to justify the speculative gains.

Like you said, if this was another "I want Euphoria or ragdoll thread", you would not hear the skeptical worries of merging two totally different games.

I love games with good AI pathfinding but please do not merge Arma2 with Ms. Pacman:p

I don't see why the assumption is that things are lost on both ends. If ArmA retains all it's current functionality, but then gains more, that sounds like more to me. Sure there's a technological limit, but that's not the topic, the topic is ArmA gaining more functionality. Not losing it, not inheriting bad gameplay, but gaining some good parts. As hardware gets better & better and bandwidth gets more and more capable, inevitably better things get incorporated. My old Spectrum would not be able to simulate so much as a single ArmA2 butterfly, yet ArmA2 has them as visual fluff. Eventually, all things are possible.

5bn00bsonlyj

:D

I didn't realize. Of course I'm sure it's nothing like the GTA super-sticky targeting that I just can't stand.

Edited by W0lle
quoted image

I don't see why the assumption is that things are lost on both ends. If ArmA retains all it's current functionality, but then gains more, that sounds like more to me. Sure there's a technological limit, but that's not the topic, the topic is ArmA gaining more functionality. Not losing it, not inheriting bad gameplay, but gaining some good parts. As hardware gets better & better and bandwidth gets more and more capable, inevitably better things get incorporated. My old Spectrum would not be able to simulate so much as a single ArmA2 butterfly, yet ArmA2 has them as visual fluff. Eventually, all things are possible.

Well this thread is about "What if Rockstar hooked up with BI", not "These feature from GTA4 would be cool if implemented in Arma". I'm pretty sure if the 2 companies "hooked up", they would have a deformed baby. Chances would be that Rockstar, having bigger budgets etc..., would have more than 50% of the say of what stays and what goes to please their market which is far different from BI's.

So magic stars etc... would be a reality if Rockstar said so and to that I say "Nein!"

Ha, I didn't know that either! :eek:

Well this thread is about "What if Rockstar hooked up with BI", not "These feature from GTA4 would be cool if implemented in Arma". I'm pretty sure if the 2 companies "hooked up", they would have a deformed baby. Chances would be that Rockstar, having bigger budgets etc..., would have more than 50% of the say of what stays and what goes to please their market which is far different from BI's.

So magic stars etc... would be a reality if Rockstar said so and to that I say "Nein!"

Well in the topic's OP, there is this qualifier:

Imaging an open world like GTA with real living cities and OFP/ARMA combat gameplay.

Which seems to be the point that nearly everyone wishes to ignore, and instead wishes to introduce bad ideas they can easily swat away :)

I cant tell... are you being serious?

He must be on crack, surely... :rolleyes:

Well in the topic's OP, there is this qualifier:

Imaging an open world like GTA with real living cities and OFP/ARMA combat gameplay. Which seems to be the point that nearly everyone wishes to ignore, and instead wishes to introduce bad ideas they can easily swat away :)

No offence to ya mate, but thats hardly much of a qualifier for a good reason for the two teams to embark on a joint effort. Yes, there are some cool features and city/life ambience in GTA4, but there is also some cool features military ambience in Arma2. If Rockstar was even remotely developing games in the mil-sim arena, i'd probably give it deeper thought but as it stands -it's just more "I wish..." daydreaming.

It's not the individual ideas being swatted away, it's the general premise of the thread :)

Rock Star's community doesn't come close to Arma 2. Think about all the free addons and support you get. You think Rock Star is going to allow that? If you have hopes like the OP for BI to make a better game, it will have to come from BI developing into a bigger company. Is it possible? Hell yes!! Don't forget about vbs2.

Which is actually the premise of the thread :)

True. I guess dissent kinda ruins the daydreaming experience huh :p

So be it, Dream on!!!

Edit- You want to see real displeasure with this idea, post it in the Rockstar forum and watch the pre-pubescent fireworks!

Edited by froggyluv

So be it, Dream on!!!

Great. Now, where do I sign up for the great auto-aim feature? Hey, can I have better auto-aim if I get enough objective stars? Maybe I could purchase objective stars from the Games For Windows forums. :)

I would say that since both are sandbox-esque developers, they would complement eachother nicely. Both rockstar and bis are talented and what one lacks the other does not. I wouldnt want to see a rockstar/bis arma game, but maybe something else. A shooter that is less sim oriented than arma but still have a semi realistic feel to it with a high amount of polish.

I would say that since both are sandbox-esque developers, they would complement eachother nicely. Both rockstar and bis are talented and what one lacks the other does not. I wouldnt want to see a rockstar/bis arma game, but maybe something else. A shooter that is less sim oriented than arma but still have a semi realistic feel to it with a high amount of polish.

Like... like... like that... no I can't say it. :D

Like... like... like that... no I can't say it. :D

Wolle, that *thing* you have in mind does not have polish ;)

On topic: If I was to pick one thing that Rockstar's GTAs have and ARMA 2 doesn't, it would be the vehicle behavior.

A joint project....uhmm no

before u start Grand Theft ARMA u would have to log into windows live and create account to save ur games.

Edited by vasmkd

We all know BOHEMIA has a limited budget with limited man power.

No way in hell do I want BI to become bigger and fark shit up like codeapprentices... er masters.

'Bigger' in no way denotes 'better'...... kids and their 'must have' bells and whistles, bigger is better, quantity over quality etc etc...

More (these days) is too often less.

'OFP: Drag-on Raping' anyone...

So be it, Dream on!!!

Edit- You want to see real displeasure with this idea, post it in the Rockstar forum and watch the pre-pubescent fireworks!

Yep, ive put the question up on the rockstar forum... I think maybe people on that forum are just as passionate about that game as people on this forum are about arma... but maybe not as... :rolleyes: enthusiastic Link to thread

Edited by Katipo66

Personally I'm a huge fan of what Rockstar do, as a predominantly 360 gamer these days I think their engine is about as good an engine on that platform as is available, as someone who's also a huge fan of the western genre dating back to reading the Western pulp fiction that my Dad was reading 25 years ago I cannot wait for Red Dead Redemption, it's really looking spectacular IMO.

Some of the replies in this thread are truly biased, myopic rubbish and clearly aimed to antagonise those of us who have the audacity to enjoy some console gaming, as far as I'm concerned that's flamebaiting, it stops or people will receive infractions.

Now whether or not this theme merits a thread, particularly in ArmA2:General I'm not sure, but we'll find out soon enough, at the very least I expect that whilst there is such a thread here people act like grownups in it, please.