Sign in to follow this  
avibird 1

What if Rockstar hooked up with Bohemia to make ARMA game.

WOW some of you are really blind. I know ARMA and GTA are different games but rockstar just puts the little things into a game that makes it polished.

GTA games have a lot of little elements that could make ARMA gameplay that much greater with small details. For example real physics engine in the game world, better player movemnets ie getting into vehicles,climbing over walls, going into windows ect, better colse quarter combat with a nice cover system, great indoor environments, great open world environments with active life around.

We all know BOHEMIA has a limited budget with limited man power. We all know ARMA lacks detail in some areas and was/is an incomplete game. We all know ARMA lacks player vs player modes with online players. We all know ARMA lacks new blood of players and overall numbers of online players.

BOHEMIA stated this is going to be the last of the ARMA games for a bit. We all know the other game BOHEMIA is working on following the release of ARMA -OA. Why can't some of the die hard fans see BOHEMIA can never reach it's potential on it's on. Yes OPF/ARMA games are the best of it's kind hands down but stop and think if you had a polished game with all the little details that GTA has to offer with all the great stuff BOHEMIA has in ARMA2 with the same gameplay as ARMA but a combination of both open world environments. That's what I am talking about.

For the people who say everything rockstar attempted to do(and failed at) is already possible in arma2 you are not been truthful. ROCKSTAR is a great company that makes very polished games. You may not like them and that's cool but you can't say they don't know how to make games and sell the crap out of them. There is a therad called why is this game not more popular. Here are some of the answers as well. BOHEMIA needs help to reach it's full potential as a game developer and that is the bottom line my friends. I think the world of BOHEMIA and only want good things for them.

Well, given the obvious terror you see here at the thought that *gasp* ArmA should have some amount of content that is not already in ArmA *shudder* I think it's clear you're not onto a winner :D

That's not my own view BTW, I'm just trying to show some support ;)

It's a fact that if you mention any other game in the same sentence as ArmA, that doesn't sound like "ArmA should never be be like this other game", you will get this response. I'm sure that, given ArmA2 and future titles will always have at least all the current functionality, that all other new additions can only add to the experience. However, as you're seeing, it's an uphill struggle. People who like things don't like even the idea of new things, unless it's more of the same sort of thing. That's human nature and something you just have to accept.

To be perfectly honest ArmA would die if that happened. You'd have OFP-DR, except dumbed down a little more.

Avibird, you seem to be talking about two different things, one good, the other most certainly not.

1. That ArmA would be better with things like better vehicle damage, physics, the little stuff, yes, I agree, that would be awesome.

2. "What if Rockstar hooked up with Bohemia to make ARMA game. " No. That would not end well at all, Rockstar has more money and more people than BI and so they'd have the upper hand, which means that ArmA would be made the way they wanted it made, which means it wouldn't be ArmA. The game that this would produce already exists: OFP-DR.

OP wants ARMA on consoles and he now wants teen-console-game-creators to work with BIS? :confused:

Like someone said. Your hopes and dreams are a bit mmmm not high, but a bit twisted tbh.

*SNIP* That would be my wet dream for a games

And my wet dream involves You, a steak down your pants and a pack of starving rottweilers. ;)

but seriously, yes, dreams are often quite silly. ;)

The only thing BIS and Rockstar have in common is an open-world gaming environment in the GTA series. In terms of everything else, what they do is the polar opposite, and they're the best at it. To combine them would be counter-productive for both parties.

The best thing is rockstar can sell games like no other company.

That would be InfinityWard, actually.

It would be great if we had such possibilities, to make Close combat warfare like in GTA IV, but in 1st person, and realism. Also there would be the car damage system and stuff, and AI THAT CAN SHOOT AND DRIVE. (which obviously lacks in ArmA2.. well AI can shoot, but they cant drive)

Also, I bet people wouldnt mind some extra effects, ragdolls, physics, better detail, cover system....

I'm pretty sure ALL these things can be easily implemented in ArmA game... and I'm sure it's no problem for this game to have "some extra effects, ragdolls, physics, better detail, cover system", destructible objects, deformable terrain, better thinking and driving AI, great in-doors fights... all for hundreds or thousands of coordinated, yet independently thinking units at a time... and all possible during a multiplayer session. BIS is just lazy, that's all...

Oh wait... did I just have that crazy dream where common players had 16-core processors @8GHz each, 64GB RAM and Ati Radeon 9990 Pro again?

Edited by W0lle
Please don't type a whole paragraph in pink - my eyes!!!

Imho this is just another try from AVIBIRD 1 begging for a console version of Arma2 and/or Operation Arrowhead...He is just too impatient and can't wait till BIS will reveal some more infos about their new developments. It seems that most other console players are more relaxed about BIS releases.

Btw on the official Operation Arrowhead website you can still read

ARMA 2 - Operation Arrowhead

Standalone ARMA 2 Expansion Pack

Coming 2010 for PC-DVD

Wait till its done and don't speculate to hook BIS with someone else. BIS are old + proficient enough to make such decisions on their own. ;)

I'm pretty sure ALL these things can be easily implemented in ArmA game... and I'm sure it's no problem for this game to have "some extra effects, ragdolls, physics, better detail, cover system", destructible objects, deformable terrain, better thinking and driving AI, great in-doors fights... all for hundreds or thousands of coordinated, yet independently thinking units at a time... and all possible during a multiplayer session. BIS is just lazy, that's all...

Oh wait... did I just have that crazy dream where common players had 16-core processors @8GHz each, 64GB RAM and Ati Radeon 9990 Pro again?

:confused: dude relax... look at how far arma has come since the original ofp!

i bet if you requested half the things that arma2 packs now back then you'd get the same reaction to ragdoll etc now.

most of those things you listed are pretty much stock standard, except of course the hundreds or thousands of coordinated, yet independently thinking units at a time as in gta they are spawned, but the illusion works.

Its only time before it happens anyway!? all those who say it'll be the end of arma and all that stuff.... let go.. use the force:D

I wouldn't mind a few bits and pieces of "progress" but I'd rather ArmA got more realistic, not less.

:confused: dude relax... look at how far arma has come since the original ofp!

i bet if you requested half the things that arma2 packs now back then you'd get the same reaction to ragdoll etc now.

most of those things you listed are pretty much stock standard, except of course the hundreds or thousands of coordinated, yet independently thinking units at a time as in gta they are spawned, but the illusion works.

Its only time before it happens anyway!? all those who say it'll be the end of arma and all that stuff.... let go.. use the force:D

I am perfectly relaxed, thanks for asking. And did you stop to think what computers were common gamers running back in the 2001? I sure as hell wasn't one of the very few who could run OFP maxxed up with good FPS for a long time after its release.

And regarding spawning units - of course it works in GTA, Mafia, Just Cause, the Abomination of Godfather and similar open wolrd car-hijacking games... but that's because the cars and pedestrians are just moving props. You see it, you use it. If you don't, you don't care what will happen with it once it goes out of your sight (despawn)... that wouldn't work very well with enemies, would it. But you don't need me to explain that, just visit Codemasters DR forum and check a few threads on how people like the idea of going somewhere and enemies popping out of thin air or magically appearing where you cleaned the area before and see for yourself how that concept worked.

EDIT: And as for thinking about ragdoll in 2001... I guess you haven't heard about the (rather unsuccessful) game called Trespasser (1998)? Its engine features something you can call a spiritual predecessor of Havok physics.

Edited by Myshaak

el oh el at this thread. Why even bother to discuss something that has zero change of ever occuring.

Funny thread... Grand Theft Arma?

I have GTA IV for the PC and XBOX 360. It is one of my top 5 favorite games of all time. It is a shitload of fun both SP and MP.

Of course Arma and OFP are in the top 5 also.

Would I like to see these merged? Fuck no.

They both are 2 totally different concepts/genres and I hope they stay that way.

A few days ago I was watching the new videos of ROCKSTARS new game RED DEAD REDEMPTION and I was thinking how great the game looks, how great rockstar makes an open world environment with somewhat dynamic AI throughout the game world and How polished rockstar game are on release.

Yeah, it looks good for a console.

Maybe 1 day they can get it to work on a pc.

Otherwise, I agree with Mosh post above.

and How polished rockstar game are on release

I'm sorry I missed that part the first time I read this...

Did you buy GTA IV for the PC the day it was released? Obviously not, because it took a patch for some people to even be able to play it. I had no issues, but definitely saw the performance increase through patches, just like some other games I play.

This definitely is not a jab at Rockstar. They are fucking awesome, just like BIS, but not everything is released as polished as we'd like. It's what comes after the fact that's important... continued and dedicated support.

And do we want a Rockstar games social club membership, a games for windows membership, online activation and gawd knows what else in order to play the game then?

Me not for sure.

And again re. the driving AI: They all are lone drivers, that's what the A2 AI can do too (more or less). I haven't seen a convoy in GTA4 at all. ;)

Rockstar are fantastic, but their PC release wasn't as good as it should have been. Although through patches, it finally got to its potential.

Although, by the time the final patch came out, almost nobody was left on the forums anyway...lol.

---------- Post added at 04:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:32 PM ----------

And do we want a Rockstar games social club membership, a games for windows membership, online activation and gawd knows what else in order to play the game then?

Me not for sure.

And again re. the driving AI: They all are lone drivers, that's what the A2 AI can do too (more or less). I haven't seen a convoy in GTA4 at all. ;)

Yeah, but put 2 cars close to eachother in Arma 2, and the car behind goes insane, driving off road and reversing...

That is probably my only real issue with Arma 2. They can drive in very spaced out convoys, but not in tight ones.

:(

RockStar + BI would be very much a fantasy-come-true for me, too.

I do not believe they are mutually exclusive, either. The problem is that you have two very labor intensive branches. It would be great if they could come together, but it would take a supercomputer to achieve. So.... give it a couple years. ;)

Taking the best of both, naturally.

@anfiach: awards signify that lots of people like their games, also 300 million sales on launch day probably signify something.

Me not for sure.

And i've never seen a working one in a BIS game (nonscripted anyway).

I would take Rockstars driving AI over BIS, apart from some manic lane changing on the bridges its pretty good.

If a car stops in front of it it waits, it doesn’t try to go round, hit a tree, then reverse back onto the road facing the wrong way, blocking the next vehicle, which trys to do the same and so on…

"What if Rockstar hooked up with Bohemia to make ARMA game."

The PC version would come out half a year after the console ones.

The PC version would require you to install (and run) 50 other useless programs.

The PC version would run like a 100 year old granny.

The XBOX version would have two tons of exclusive DLC content.

The game would distribute on 6 dual-layer DVDs.

The game would have cut scenes with longer runtime than all Generation Kill episodes together.

The game would spawn more lawsuits than MW2 sold copies.

The game would cost twice as much than it does now.

Edited by Deadfast

Double the hardware requirements, double the clustrefuck of an UI, double the bugs... The mere thought makes me shudder in terror :eek:

I guess it's a nice fantasy, erhm, sort of...

GTA4's fun only lasted maybe 4 days for me, with all the joy coming from blowing off the plot and just antagonizng the police on blood rage fueled city mayhem. Got turned off after I realized I could shoot 30+ peace officers, cause millions of dollars in damage only to have the chasing officers shrug and walk away after reaching the magic objective star ;)

Do we really want magic objective stars in Arma?

I don't think the 2 engines are compatable at all -GTA seems to shine in that you can go anywhere in a large city with cool physics, all the while 30+ cops chase you, just you. Take Arma2, now you will have hundreds if not thousands of people chasing each other over a whole nation - talk about performance hits!

Sure, I'd love to see ragdoll, euphoria, and more destruction levels in Arma, especially for us introverted SP'ers, but mixing two brands means you take the good with the bad, and imho, GTA has too much bad and would mess up the sandwhich.

Personally, I'd rather have Swat4's interior combat added... (fantasy rant over)

"What if Rockstar hooked up with Bohemia to make ARMA game."

The PC version would come out half a year after the console ones.

The PC version would require you to install (and run) 50 other useless programs.

The PC version would run like a 100 year old granny.

The XBOX version would have two tons of exclusive DLC content.

The game would distribute on 6 dual-layer DVDs.

The game would have cut scenes with longer runtime than all Generation Kill episodes together.

The game would spawn more lawsuits than MW2 sold copies.

The game would cost twice as much than it does now.

hahaha

so true

Just two things:

1) If this thread is supposed to be another "we need ArmA2 on consoles" attempt, or

2) If this thread is turning into another consoles are better / consoles are crap bashing

the thread will be locked in zero time.

Just thought I mention it. :whistle:

And no, BIS does not need Rockstar games as publisher. They are doing a great job anyway and honestly I don't need Rockstars paranoia DRM crap in any of BIS future titles. :)

That the AI can not drive I see each time when driving over bridges. I can guarantee you that at latest at the end of the bridge the AI is crashing into each other as they were either all drunk or on drugs. As far CQB... well most inhouse fighting is scripted, whenever you play a mission the AI appears at the same points and moves to a predefined position. Do I want that in ArmA? No, thanks. :)

at least they actually drive on bridges :p