Sign in to follow this  
avibird 1

What if Rockstar hooked up with Bohemia to make ARMA game.

Many years ago when I started switching from PC to consoles for my gaming needs (please no console smack stay on topic) with OFP ELITE for the old xbox. After a few years I got a 360 and was disappointed with all the crap FPS hitting the market. I was telling other console players about OFP/OFP ELITE. I told people that never played OFP that it was like the old ghost recon/RB six (PC) games and the Grand theft auto liberty city/vice city games in one. That was my take and my dream on how a game should be.

Imaging an open world like GTA with real living cities and OFP/ARMA combat gameplay. That would be my wet dream for a games.

ARMA1 come out 2007 and it was a great step forward but not close to what I had in my mind. 2009 ARMA2 is released still a great game and a leep forward but still not what I had in my mind a few years ago.

A few days ago I was watching the new videos of ROCKSTARS new game RED DEAD REDEMPTION and I was thinking how great the game looks, how great rockstar makes an open world environment with somewhat dynamic AI throughout the game world and How polished rockstar game are on release.

I know GTA and ARMA games are different types of games but they have a lot of the same elements in the overall game world and gameplay then you think. BOHEMIA needs a good publisher to allow them to make a complete product and help them fix some of the deficits on release and a world wide release date for all regions/platforms.

What do you guys think if BOHEMIA could get a real partner to make a game. I know that bohemia got burned with codemasters but they do need help to make a complete product and to bring the game to the next level. I think bohemia is a great company but we all need some help to reach our full potential.

Edited by AVIBIRD 1

@OP

I don't think you are ever going to get what you are looking for vis a vis ArmA 2 unless you write it yourself tbh.

Edited by BangTail

Well, although it's an interesting idea, I suppose you have to temper what ArmA2 looks/feels like with the geographic location of BIS.

No, I'm serious :) the Czech Republic is an ex-Warsaw Pact country, and with that come a certain amunt of cultural heritage. In the west, we enjoy highly polished products, and we practically demand them. They must, above all, look good, as it is primarily how good they look that drives it's sales, and thus the capitalist system grinds on. In the eastern bloc, how something looks is secondary to how efficiently it can be made or work. There is a very definite "feel" to Soviet-style design, and I think OFP/ArmA/ArmA2 comes into this generalisation.

I don't have any official figures, but I heavily suspect that a larger-than-generally-suspected OFP/ArmA/ArmA2 gaming/interest is actually in the eastern European & Russia, even with the unbalance of simulated hardware. This forum enjoys heavy traffic because it's the official forum, but note that it's also English-only, so huge swathes of gaming activity and interest is not apparent here.

Personally, I don't believe BIS are particularly interested in polishing it up, because in their minds it's already functional. It might seem clunky sometimes, but that's a product of it's origins.

I cant tell... are you being serious?

Yes, I am. I am not talking about GTA gameplay but all the little elements within the gameplay. ie vehicle damage, close quarter combat, AI that can drive, real living cities ect. rockstar does so many things great with small game elemnets that ARMA games are lacking right now. The best thing is rockstar can sell games like no other company.

Edited by AVIBIRD 1

The idea would be absolutely awesome and that would be THE Ultimate Game, but not within the next 10-15 years i think....

You need alot of computing Power to have a very big simulated open world - at best with multiple cities- which are "living", dynamic, etc, just like they are at GTA...

This Game then with all the modding possibilites from Arma2 and so on and it would be even more the most ultimate sandbox/plattform to basically develop any Kind of gametyp from it...

Then you'd have that Aussie gameplay mode.. what was it called again "Chernarus life" or something like that.

Rockstar fails to compare to what Bohemia is.

How?

A Gta/Arma combination would be an exciting prospect...

How?

A Gta/Arma combination would be an exciting prospect...

Yeah, let's combine Medal of Honor and Halo while we're at it.

...what? They're both shooters..

everything rockstar attempted to do(and failed at) is already possible in arma2

they should stick to producing watered down console junk for the masses.

@Zach: Rockstar has won many awards for their unbelievable games. Please refrain from trashing a studio that works extremely hard; what makes PC gaming so much better than consoles? It's just gaming, so please dismount your high horse.

Yeah, let's combine Medal of Honor and Halo while we're at it.

...what? They're both shooters..

But they aint both shooters, GTA is a lot "deeper" than a shooter :P

I dont think hes talking in the sense off completely merging the 2 games... just some aspects of GTA would be suited to arma

Be an awesome soundtrack .)

---------- Post added at 04:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:33 PM ----------

everything rockstar attempted to do(and failed at) is already possible in arma2

they should stick to producing watered down console junk for the masses.

Dude, where did they fail? they probably led the way

But they aint both shooters, GTA is a lot "deeper" than a shooter :P

I dont think hes talking in the sense off completely merging the 2 games... just some aspects of GTA would be suited to arma

Arma isn't just a shooter either. And I think he was being sarcastic.

In one way, at least, Arma and GTA are complete opposites. Ridiculous over-the-top parody versus faithful verisimilitude.

One thing GTA has that ArmA doesn't: a physics engine. :D

More specifically, the Euphoria engine :)

@Zach: Rockstar has won many awards for their unbelievable games. Please refrain from trashing a studio that works extremely hard; what makes PC gaming so much better than consoles? It's just gaming, so please dismount your high horse.

Awards from who? Awards these days mean nothing, they are handed out like candy. You either like what they do or you don't but don't bring up meaningless awards.

I think BIS should stay as is.

Rockstar would be good, but they might get rid of certain things like the engine and whatnot, BIS wouldn't want that. RV engine is their life blood.

Just two things:

1) If this thread is supposed to be another "we need ArmA2 on consoles" attempt, or

2) If this thread is turning into another consoles are better / consoles are crap bashing

the thread will be locked in zero time.

Just thought I mention it. :whistle:

And no, BIS does not need Rockstar games as publisher. They are doing a great job anyway and honestly I don't need Rockstars paranoia DRM crap in any of BIS future titles. :)

Yes, I am. I am not talking about GTA gameplay but all the little elements within the gameplay. ie vehicle damage, close quarter combat, AI that can drive, real living cities ect.

That the AI can not drive I see each time when driving over bridges. I can guarantee you that at latest at the end of the bridge the AI is crashing into each other as they were either all drunk or on drugs. As far CQB... well most inhouse fighting is scripted, whenever you play a mission the AI appears at the same points and moves to a predefined position. Do I want that in ArmA? No, thanks. :)

Edited by W0lle

Yeah, Rockstar to help with ArmA series.. "Gee, Maruk, most of our players find this game too difficult, maybe we should add in the feature of auto-aim too.That's so cool. It adds to the movie experience, you know.. whatching things happen with only a little of player's influence. Nice! And if anyone complains that the MP is unbalanced... well, we "hardcode it" so nobody will be able to turn it off! That will sell us gazillions of copies!" To offtopic please...

EDIT: W0lle, LET'S LOCK! :cool:

Edited by Myshaak

WOW some of you are really blind. I know ARMA and GTA are different games but rockstar just puts the little things into a game that makes it polished.

GTA games have a lot of little elements that could make ARMA gameplay that much greater with small details. For example real physics engine in the game world, better player movemnets ie getting into vehicles,climbing over walls, going into windows ect, better colse quarter combat with a nice cover system, great indoor environments, great open world environments with active life around.

We all know BOHEMIA has a limited budget with limited man power. We all know ARMA lacks detail in some areas and was/is an incomplete game. We all know ARMA lacks player vs player modes with online players. We all know ARMA lacks new blood of players and overall numbers of online players.

BOHEMIA stated this is going to be the last of the ARMA games for a bit. We all know the other game BOHEMIA is working on following the release of ARMA -OA. Why can't some of the die hard fans see BOHEMIA can never reach it's potential on it's on. Yes OPF/ARMA games are the best of it's kind hands down but stop and think if you had a polished game with all the little details that GTA has to offer with all the great stuff BOHEMIA has in ARMA2 with the same gameplay as ARMA but a combination of both open world environments. That's what I am talking about.

For the people who say everything rockstar attempted to do(and failed at) is already possible in arma2 you are not been truthful. ROCKSTAR is a great company that makes very polished games. You may not like them and that's cool but you can't say they don't know how to make games and sell the crap out of them. There is a therad called why is this game not more popular. Here are some of the answers as well. BOHEMIA needs help to reach it's full potential as a game developer and that is the bottom line my friends. I think the world of BOHEMIA and only want good things for them.

Edited by AVIBIRD 1

Just two things:

1) If this thread is supposed to be another "we need ArmA2 on consoles" attempt, or

2) If this thread is turning into another consoles are better / consoles are crap bashing

the thread will be locked in zero time.

Just thought I mention it. :whistle:

And no, BIS does not need Rockstar games as publisher. They are doing a great job anyway and honestly I don't need Rockstars paranoia DRM crap in any of BIS future titles. :)

That the AI can not drive I see each time when driving over bridges. I can guarantee you that at latest at the end of the bridge the AI is crashing into each other as they were either all drunk or on drugs. As far CQB... well most inhouse fighting is scripted, whenever you play a mission the AI appears at the same points and moves to a predefined position. Do I want that in ArmA? No, thanks. :)

But i bet they would be open to the idea if it was offered to them:)

Its just seems most of this community isnt..

Your right, the AI cant drive... but they are slightly better than there arma cousins:p

Unscripted combat? Try randomly shooting at cops and see what happens... they duck and dive, use vehicles for cover... pretty impressive!

I dont think anyone would want gameplay or any component of arma that makes arma unique to be changed, but if it can be enhanced to be even better then... y not, worth a yarn.

Anyway onwards and upwards!