Sign in to follow this  
LockDOwn

Why is this game not more popular?

When you look at it from the crew's perspective it does seem quite silly. So I drive around in the open, and some guy who was standing out in the open as well fired an RPG at me, so I hopped out of the vehicle and shot him before he even managed to pull out his rifle again. Doesn't make sense on any level. However you should blame the vehicle system on this problem, not the launcher system - Even if they let you quickly ditch the launcher it would still end up slower than the current ultra-fast disembarking...

Yepp, you should blame the vehicle system that also throws the crew out when only one track is destroyed ("mobility kill") - I bet a turrent turns faster than a soldier can switch to his suddenly totally useless rifle :p

3) Automatic switching to weapon when you go prone.

But at least the weapon is switched after you went prone. As we can't fire the launcher while prone that seems to be perfectly fine to me ;)

Regarding whether you can fire a launcher while prone in real life, with the old Panzerfaust we were taught to do so. Not sure about modern launchers...

We were taught to fire RPG-7 (with scope and bipod) and LAW (M72) from prone, though for safety reasons, in training LAW is only fired from crouch, since it has a wider backblast than the RPG-7. But both can definitely be fired from prone, but again if you don't want to backblast yourself you need to lay in a 90 degree angle to the weapon.

This game is beautiful to look at and is a very good sim as well. So why isn't more popular?

I've not had time to go through all the posts on this thread, but IMHO it's because ARMA is simply overwhelming for the average gamer to learn play. I doubt many gamers have the dedication, skill and patience to learn how to play ArmA.

I guess what I'm trying to say is where a game is designed to be played, ArmA is designed to be learnt and experienced.

The game isn't so popular because:

-Was developed in Czech Republic

-Is quite new

-People not like simulators very much, they more like games type Call Of Duty, World of Warcraft, GTA IV, RUSE and other "hits"

But I like this game, it's my best game.

ARMA 1/2 CO FOREVER!!!

And I'm just happy that the arma 2 is czech game (Finally our country developed good game!)

And the biggest reason why the people don'T play It is that the ARMA II looks bad from the first view (looks like classic shoot game), but if you know the game more, you will see that is much better and real than you think

Last reason is that the game is VERY VERY VERY VERY Complex and widespread, so therefore is difficult

Edited by danny96

The game isn't so popular because:

-Was developed in Czech Republic

What's up with Mafia and Mafia 2 then?

I think it is not popular because its down to earth. Because every 5 seconds a hind-24 doesn't miss be by 5 meters and even if one did miss me it would have anthor pass because the Ai or some person flying isn't going to isntantly get shot down. Because the game has recoil. Because oh god its slightly unfair and a Mp5 doesn't go as far as a Ak-47. Because you can't run and gun. Because its not action action omg action the entire time, that IMO is the reason its not popular. However it does have a good fan base that cares about it. Mods it and keeps it alive.

It is well know though in almost every Gamespot thread about something v Pc it is brought up because it is a symbol of something different and a new take games.

I also don't think its not popular because of the multiplayer Alot of people like Co-op. If you want non-stop shooting play AAS, also mods make multiplayer almost endless.

Mc Donalds is popular,it don't make it any good, Syphilis was quite popular in Europe at one time, being "popular" is not a badge of merit as far as I know.

if you you spend 50 or what ever million on advertising it makes the big difference.

Edited by Thomas C

I've not had time to go through all the posts on this thread, but IMHO it's because ARMA is simply overwhelming for the average gamer to learn play. I doubt many gamers have the dedication, skill and patience to learn how to play ArmA.

I guess what I'm trying to say is where a game is designed to be played, ArmA is designed to be learnt and experienced.

Well said Mate

Hi, i've spoken with many FPS gamers and they don't want a slow paced and complex game like the OFP or the ArmA series; the leak of "über-pimp" graphics COD style and all that is what make 'em drop the game aside of the game's mechanics like the imposibility of shoot accurately while walking for example (the weapon sway) that that's a point where i've to agree with 'em, also the AI way of work puts 'em back too... the so poor AI pathfinding and their sniper hability for take you down with a single shoot from 400m away; the poor LOD of the objects that allow you to be shot by an AI when you're behind a corner (outside the AI's FOV) and also the machine requirements. While you can play well to any of those silly arcade games like the COD, the BC2 or the MOH without have by force a top end machine to have a satisfying enough graphic quality and performance... you've to have a true monster for have a good enough performance and graphic quality to enjoy the ArmA series and even then... it's not guaranteed that you gonna get it. So if you sume all that... that's what my fellas told me that made 'em not buy or play to the ArmA series, overall the complexity; they're arcade shooters. Let's C ya

I think it is not popular because its down to earth. Because every 5 seconds a hind-24 doesn't miss be by 5 meters and even if one did miss me it would have anthor pass because the Ai or some person flying isn't going to isntantly get shot down. Because the game has recoil. Because oh god its slightly unfair and a Mp5 doesn't go as far as a Ak-47. Because you can't run and gun. Because its not action action omg action the entire time, that IMO is the reason its not popular. However it does have a good fan base that cares about it. Mods it and keeps it alive.

It is well know though in almost every Gamespot thread about something v Pc it is brought up because it is a symbol of something different and a new take games.

I also don't think its not popular because of the multiplayer Alot of people like Co-op. If you want non-stop shooting play AAS, also mods make multiplayer almost endless.

I've also noticed that trend on System Wars on Gamespot. Typically it goes PS3 has Killzone 3, what does PC have? Then someone responds with pics of Arma 2 and tells them when their shooter has dynamic AI, a huge open world, over a hundred weapons and vehicles, and an easy to use editor with a huge modding scene they can come back and claim superiority.

I think it is CCQ. A2 just doesn't do well with CCQ. Nor with easy of use for running combined assaults (with say multiple squads - the way RVS allowed for).

If you could create A2 as is (for outside enviros) but added the atmoshphere and gameplay/simplay of say R6//RVS for CCQ.....There is nothing that could come close.

I have only played the original xbox Operation Flashpoint Elite from BI, I played it for around 2 years and never got bored, the mission editor was great, however moved onto 360 just for Dragon Rising and was completely disappointed. So onto the PC and back to BI for the real thing, Arma2, looking forward to years of enjoyment, after I have asked 100's of questions on here, no doubt..

I have only played the original xbox Operation Flashpoint Elite from BI, I played it for around 2 years and never got bored, the mission editor was great, however moved onto 360 just for Dragon Rising and was completely disappointed. So onto the PC and back to BI for the real thing, Arma2, looking forward to years of enjoyment, after I have asked 100's of questions on here, no doubt..

Have fun! Its been an amazing 10 years for me. :)

Whatever what happens, I just wanna to be the last one support this game, because this is not a game to me, it is a part of my life.

I could think about some reasons...

* not enough simulation for real sim fans...it is more a sim about combined units and

not about weapons or vehicles.

* stiff infantry gameplay for fps fans

* AI in multiplayer is just not that reliable

* endless numbers of addons and confusing for beginners

* quicker official new release and addons split the community

* a more complicated gameplay which needs tactics...not everyone wants that.

* need for a good pc unit since the game is performance hungry

* it is a part of the niche games which are always not directed to the masses

Hi all

And yet ArmA continues to sell and be used, long after other titles are boring and forgotten.

If people want to consume cans of Special Brew that is their hangover but ArmA is one of those games that matures, like a fine wine or malt whiskey.

Kind Regards walker

This may have been brought up earlier, but it bears repeating. Obviously why ArmA isn't more popular, is because there is no instant gratification to be had for the button mashing masses. ArmA's a complex frigid wife, as opposed to a 'pay-per-puss' prostitute. Or at least that analogy would best describe how a casual gamer would see it, and they are the majority.

Ahhh casual how I loathe this word,my opinion is that Arma series isn't so popular like Cod for example because BI doesn't have that huge marketing buget.

The other big thing it's because Arma has more than three buttons for controls and you can't go Rambo style and destroy an entire army with an

M16 which for the "casual" crowd it's way too much to handle and their minds will implode.

People doesn't like realism in games most of the time.

Ahhh casual how I loathe this word,my opinion is that Arma series isn't so popular like Cod for example because BI doesn't have that huge marketing buget.

(...)

I don't think it has anything to do with marketing. It's simulation and just like any other simulation it's less popular than arcade games.

Compare it to Hawxs or Ace Combat vs DCS or LOMAC. In those arcadish games you can almost imediatly master your plane, you fire hundreds of missiles and take several hits without a problem.

It took me several days to simply take off, naviguate correctly and land in LOMAC. And it took me almost a week to completely understand how to use my radar and how to properly fire a missile.

It's hard, it requires time and as stated a bit earlier it's not instant gratification but damn once you become good at it the gratification it gives you is huge compare to arcade games.

I think that's why simmers are always called elitist, because yeah, in a way we're elitist. But it's not for the sake of being elitist, it's simply beause we had to learn, to try and fail and try again to fail even harder.

But in the end we've succeed where some will almost instantly give up.

Even if ArmA had Crysis graphics, completly bug free, thousand of units, even if it was perfect my guess is you wouldn't see much more people playing it. But the forums would be flooded with stupid topics where kiddies would bitch and whine.

Honestly I'm glad those simple minds stay away from my favorite game. We already have to deal with hackers no need to add a bunch of kids only attracted by graphics and ultra gore stuff.

The ArmA series has it flaws but in the end it's almost the only game I play. I've started with OFP almost 10 years ago and I'm still discovering/learning new things every week. Not to mention the incredible amount of addons the community is creating, always pushing the limits further.

Edited by Macadam Cow

Wrong.

The other big thing it's because Arma has more than three buttons for controls and you can't go Rambo style and destroy an entire army with an

M16 which for the "casual" crowd it's way too much to handle and their minds will implode.

Correct.

you can't go Rambo style and destroy an entire army with an

1270414367820.jpg

_ffkxA1MOCM

:j:

1270414367820.jpg

:j:

Pfft you call 14 poor bastards an army?Besides you had a M60 and an UAZ,I said M16.:p

Although pretty nice job going Rambo on those guys.