Sign in to follow this  
LockDOwn

Why is this game not more popular?

This game is beautiful to look at and is a very good sim as well. So why isn't more popular?

My two cents:- there are so many versions, addons, mods and updates etc that compatibility between online players is a Big Issue.

I'm fed up trying to log into online sessions only to be told by a message that I'm not compatible for whatever reason and can't get in because I'm lacking a gun or vehicle or whatever.

(I'm Comb Ops (AA2 1.08/OA 1.57) straight out of the box with no addon extras of any kind)

My two cents:- there are so many versions, addons, mods and updates etc that compatibility between online players is a Big Issue.

I'm fed up trying to log into online sessions only to be told by a message that I'm not compatible for whatever reason and can't get in because I'm lacking a gun or vehicle or whatever.

(I'm Comb Ops (AA2 1.08/OA 1.57) straight out of the box with no addon extras of any kind)

Find a community to play with. They usually have set addons and update as a group, making it easier to play.

I call shens on that rambo video, we all know that UAZ would have exploded on contact with that table it hit.

Shens!! :P

At least the servers that actually want you to join will send you to the right place to get the required addons. You can only continue to play vanilla for so long before you want to add some variety, not to mention to add some realism fixes and new features from something like ACE.

..At least the servers that actually want you to join will send you to the right place to get the required addons..

But what if different servers use different sets of mods/addons?

For examp, suppose one day I play with a group of guys on one server and mod myself up to match theirs, then a few days later play with a different group on a different server who use different mods, do I have to somehow disable the mods that they don't use, and add mods that they do use?

Is that easy to do?

For examp, suppose one day I play with a group of guys on one server and mod myself up to match theirs, then a few days later play with a different group on a different server who use different mods, do I have to somehow disable the mods that they don't use, and add mods that they do use?

Is that easy to do?

very easy to do mate, search for mod folders on Armaholic or on here. Another option is to use an addon launcher...

very easy to do mate, search for mod folders on Armaholic or on here. Another option is to use an addon launcher...

Thanks, but to be going on with, which are the most popular mods/addons etc that the majority of Comb Ops players consider 'must haves'?

If i install them at least I'll be a good way towards singing from the same song sheet as the majority..:)

Later I can add more mods to suit individual server group preferences.

PS follow up question- what difficulty setting do the majority play on?

I use 'Regular', but if I joined a server, does the server automatically set every player to the same level or what?

Edited by PoorOldSpike

Thanks, but to be going on with, which are the most popular mods/addons etc that the majority of Comb Ops players consider 'must haves'?

If i install them at least I'll be a good way towards singing from the same song sheet as the majority..:)

Later I can add more mods to suit individual server group preferences.

PS follow up question- what difficulty setting do the majority play on?

I use 'Regular', but if I joined a server, does the server automatically set every player to the same level or what?

As I have said previously use vanilla arma for the time being then look around the various sites and experiment with the mods that are available, there are literally hundreds.

Regarding joining a server for multiplayer I would definately stick with vanilla for now. If you see a public server with addons it will most probably be the ACE mod.

And yes the server sets the difficulty.

Difficulty settings are dictated by server settings, your settings have no effect. Grass and view distance settings are also dictated by the server, but can be changed by mission scripts (either way, though, your settings have no effect there).

As for mods, if you get kicked for vanilla, try ACE (stable or latest beta if server doesn't state which one), and if that doesn't work look for the server's website to see which addons they're using. Often you'll find out you just needed ACE, though, but not always.

Is that easy to do?

Just create different shortcuts for different servers you can name the shortcuts whatever you like.

Right click the properties and in the target line should be something like this

"E:\Bohemia Interactive\arma2oa.exe" -nosplash -world=empty -cpuCount=4 –noFilePatching -showScriptErrors -mod=@CBA;@ACE;@ACEX;@ACEX_RU;@ACEX_USNavy;@ACEX_SM;@JayArmA2Lib;@ACRE

or maybe

"E:\Bohemia Interactive\arma2oa.exe" -nosplash -world=empty -cpuCount=4 –noFilePatching -showScriptErrors -mod=@lolCBA;@isla_duala;@panthera;@sap_everon;@RKSL;@gdt

etc etc...

ACE is the most popular multiplayer mod, which also has a lot of content included right away that you would have to get through 10s of mods otherwise if you'd played with vanilla.

Having ACE is a must and keeping up to date with it is extremely easy now - simply download the new Six-Updater and only a single mouse-click will update and install your ACE. Even if you stick to more vanilla servers having ACE is a good idea in case you will have to have it. It takes just 1 gigabyte.

You can also download other popular mods through Six-Updater.

If you have troubles creating your own shortcuts with mod lines - I strongly recommend using 'alpinestars launcher'. It lets you have multiple mod profiles and setting up mods there is very easy.

Additionally, but not neccessary, you can download the following popular maps that are used often today:

Thirsk

Duala

Lingor

Edited by metalcraze

ACE is the most popular multiplayer mod

Honestly when i watch the server list, ACE servers are the least populated ones. I was happy to find a good populated Zeus AI warfare server, most public populated servers dont use any mods at all.

Note that I didn't say most servers used it. I said it is the most popular out of all mods used.

Not to repost infor from befor but in my opinion heres why this game isnt more popular.

1: as mentioned by many, advertising.

2: its a PC only game wich we must unfortunatly face the music and realise that consoule gameing is slowly taking alot of our players out.

3: its realistic. too many babies out there cant handle having to be tactical

4: too many people cant handle the fact that there not a badass indiestructable run'n gun killing machine.

Edited by Rindier

Console gaming doesn't take away anyone. Console games just provide more primitive gameplay and games of a poorer quality which barely involve anything but player pushing 2 or 3 of the exactly same buttons all the time through neverending cutscenes - the majority of people are not gamers - so console "games" are for them because they are more like interactive movies that you can watch while casually sitting on the sofa in front of your tv. A lot more people dig movies.

4: too many people cant handle the fact that there not a badass indiestructable run'n gun killing machine.

pfft just gimmie the AA-12 with explosive ammo

In all games most servers will most likely run vanilla, no matter how good the mods are, simply because it's the easiest thing to do for both players and admins. It doesn't mean it's a good idea to skip out on the modded servers, though, especially not the ACE ones ;)

Why is it not more popular? Well, it's been touched on several times, but to me, I think it comes down to this:

1) It's not a tightly choreographed 'movie' that ensures every second of battle is like a Hollywood film... It's dynamic and real... so you get your moments of 'nothing' (although that IS really a part of a true war sim), and things happening 'when they happen', rather than carefully choreographed to flow from one 'set piece' to another. Arma is a realistic sim, not an 'interactive movie'

2) Being real, it 'conflicts' with what the general public consider real (based on their Hollywood references). So, guns will sound 'lame' or fake... Soldiers won't run fast enough... Things are 'difficult'... and the Rambo method will result in 'the game being stupidly difficult or confusing'.

3) You can't bunny hop.

4) You don't get acheivements.

5) It doesn't play contemporary crap music while you play.

6) It doesn't guide you. It's a true open world, which doesn't 'funnel' you to your path. Overall, too, your objectives and 'proper course of action' is not spelled out for you.

7) Documentation has always been a weak point... with features not documented or properly explained... or, documentation being scattered all over forums or other websites... sometimes buried.

8) The interface is a bit frustrating. Hard to say what the solution is there... It could be improved/changed, but then those who are used to it will get tripped up.

9) The AI and/or commands can be frustration... So many times, I command my guys to go somewhere, and they end up boarding a car that isn't visible on the map... or I waste a lot of time trying to get my guys in the right positions within a vehical. Definitely a frequent amount of 'mis-commands' happening... partially due to the interface, partially due to the AI, partially due to human error...

10) A fun as it is, the vibe you get initially is that it's a serious, hard-core sim that will completely humiliate you. Given a bit of time, you quickly get a handle on it, and find you are surviving quite long, and really have a handle on it. It's a choice between a 'sim' (which shows itself to be capable of incredible 'Hollywood-like moments' and tons of fun if you give it a chance) or a completely 'engineered to be a fun rollercoster/Hollywood movie' GAME.... it's like chooseing between a living documentary of war vs a slick action film about war. Many of the general public choose the action film.

So, do you adjust things to gain the praise of that other demographic? I certainly hope not... because then you lose this unique, intelligent, deep sim that rises above the disposable war games that just come, and then are replaced by yet another disposable war game... and so on. It is like a high level flight sim in a world of 'jet games'.

One of the reasons I think Arma is not more popular. ADVERTISING, I had never heard of it before, until I was fed up with the arcadey FPS shooters and did a yahoo search one day.

So I did a search of Real-Simulation type shooters and OF Dragon Rising came up. I looked at OF Dragon Rising on Steam to get the demo and under it were they recommended other games I might like based on what I was looking at and one of the games shown was Arma. So I started to also look at Arma.

I downloaded both demo's OF and Arma2, well that was a no-brainer after playing both demo's so I purchased Arma2 and let's just say it was one of my greatest discoveries (Christopher Columbus Like). This is the game I have been waiting for my whole life (A FPS based on Realism) and I never even knew it existed. So I thank OP Dragon Rising for bringing me to Arma2, funny how things workout sometimes.

3) You can't bunny hop.

4) You don't get acheivements.

5) It doesn't play contemporary crap music while you play.

Seriously now, did you add those strawmen to bash on a conceived general mass that you as a unique snowflake want to differentiate from, or do you really think that there is a notable number of people who make their purchase decisions depending even slightly on those three things? In the CS/BF/CoD/MoH scenes bunny hopping (i.e. gaining speed advantage from repeated jumping) and other forms of movement mechanics abuse have been frowned upon since forever and achievements matter only on the Xbox side where you get gamerscore for them.

I was being half-serious... but still feel they are based on realities. Yes, there ARE people out there who care about that stuff.

I'm not a unique snowflake... (Tyler Durden told me this...) I don't consider myself (or anyone on the 'arma side') superior to those who are not... just looking for a different thing.

Similarily, I like racing games that are racing sims... where you actually have to keep control of the vehical, apply brakes, consider inertia, etc... whereas some people prefer (what I consider) 'pinball racing', where you just point the car in the direction of the road, bouncing off of everything, and never using the brakes.

For some people, acheivements are everything... which is truly scary, to me at least. It is the first question that comes out of their mouth, and the lack of it can mean immediate dismissal of the game by them.

I HAVE heard people complaining about guys going too slow in Arma, or that you can't jump (...to which some Arma users will rightfully point out that in real life, you can't jump with a full military pack on you).

I frequently hear people (including reviewers) focusing on the music that plays in games, as opposed to more important things (in my mind, at least). That's one I really don't get, as they can just play whatever music they want on their mp3 players as it is.

Some people want a 'game' (where they can take on an army themselves, and be supermen), others want to sim, filled with dangers and limitations. Some people play Minecraft to explore and create... others to destroy (grief)... while others think the whole game is completely stupid and pointless... and yet others who think it is brilliant (...I'm one of those).

Again, different target audiences... and when I see what is currently 'big' as far as videogames, I DO see a trend towards chaotic, button mashing, achievments, and 'virtual unstopablity'. Not bashing, really... though I'm sure they bash me and others like me as people who are into 'boring things' or 'weapon data geeks'... (both of which I'm not).

So, do I think those are factors? Yes, in some cases, yes... Not all, but then again, defining a list that is the reason for ALL people not choosing Arma is an impossibility, as everyone has their own motivations, preferences, etc. I'm just putting in my views on what may be the factors... not that it's fact... I cannot know. I can only guess.

For me, a big part of it was that it's dynamic and random, whereas many of the other games are scripted.

BTW, I love Battlefield1 and 2...

Edited by ladlon

Hi all

I think ArmA continues to grow. I am sure we have all noticed the continuous stream of new players asking many of the same questions, as well as their shock when they see how much there really is to ArmA.

Like BIS's OFP ArmA grows better and gets more players over time. Not only that but the core engine continues to improve.

Kind Regards walker