Sign in to follow this  
LockDOwn

Why is this game not more popular?

Yup, you will only get people playing your missions if you happen to be part of a rather cooperative clan these days. :p

Too buggy and the multiplayer is not optimised or evidentally tested by the developers. Unless you enjoy lag?

It's not more popular because I palce 4 squads on the map and FPS takes a dolphin dive...not to mention the sweet 25 FPS i aheve to endure in Domi (for 5 min).

Too buggy and the multiplayer is not optimised or evidentally tested by the developers. Unless you enjoy lag?

Or perhaps you play on servers too far away from you. ;)

High system settings. Look at World of Warcraft and you see a perfect model for allowing as many different computer set-ups from old to new that can play the game well without needing to know how to optimise your own system.

High system settings. Look at World of Warcraft and you see a perfect model for allowing as many different computer set-ups from old to new that can play the game well without needing to know how to optimise your own system.

And yet WoW looks unbelievably fugly. :butbut:

maybe some people can't afford a computer to play this game.

What happens is that they had a kick ass computer at some point, then started playing OFP or ARMA 1. Then the game got its claws into them and as the spent more time playing they lost their jobs, homes family etc.

Now they no longer have means to support the ARMA habit, which grows more ravenous with each new incarnation of ARMA.

It is an unbreakable vicious circle which both yourself and myself will suffer from eventually too.

I can feel the habit kicking in already since my purchases of A2, OA and BAF.

I feel a trip to the job centre is only a matter of time for me now.

In short, love OA and BAF. Thanks BIS team.

My PC was far from expensive and though I have occasional slow moments, it functions quite well despite my pushing the limits because I happen to love 10k views and JTD fires.

No, but most of the time it is, because the modern gaming industry has groomed its consumers to be lazy.

As has all industry.... mindless consumers... fashion victims.

Each generation gets stupider and easier to dupe... they're called sheeple.

reqire high-spec

stupid ai

sim looks arcade fps (arma2 original is arcade)

very sux MOD install & multiplayer

no deep affect

game is drying

its not miltray sim , campaing is just arcade like MOH,COD

sing play missions should be provide miltary life, not just shoot kill

Edited by leehy

And yet WoW looks unbelievably fugly. :butbut:

My computer runs OA but whenever I played a warcraft 25 man dungeon I got a slideshow..how is that for irony.

It would be nice if there were options for things such as normal and specular maps and such, Battlefield 2 had an excellent system, you had the resolution of ground and 'asset' textures seperate.

You could adjust shading to either have or not have normal and specular maps, you could remove shadows and ambient lighting and shadows (meaning certain objects would not cast shadows) and the LOD system wasn't based on performance but literal distance to vehicle, you could also turn it to even lower so even beside it you would be looking at say the 2nd or 3rd LOD.

If BIS made options even more diverse like this then it would probably be more lenient for even more people.

On a random note, I just spent half an hour outside walking my dogs around, came back in and have a better appreciation for A2 and OA's graphics more, it looks more natural than the CG superduperhighdshaded mainstream.

Edited by NodUnit

The control scheme/keyboard layout is daunting at first. I just started playing and I found it pretty hard to get into. It may seem simple to people who have played previous games in the series, but having to search for answers on how to do fairly simple things can be frustrating. I've quit and given up quite a few times. Once you get a better handle on things it becomes a lot of fun. Unfortunately most probably try the demo, say wtf, and move on to a different game.

reqire high-spec

stupid ai

no deep affect

game is drying

maybe you would like a true sequel to Operation Flashpoint called Red River made by conmasters

it boats a 10 mission campaign all for only $60

TALK ABOUT VALUE :eek::eek::j::j:

reqire high-spec

stupid ai

no deep affect

game is drying

try and spray and prey in arma 2.

Tell me another game that has dynamic AI that aint scrypted in a huge open world.

MODS are piss easy to install. grab addon Sync.

MP is brilliant. join my clan or a similar one. Just like in a real world, soldiers to camp a lot

I suppose it's for the same reasons that Planetside wasn't massively popular.

Perhaps some people here have played Planetside, but it is very similar to ARMA/OFP. Obviously it's not nearly as realistic due to it's sci-fi setting but the whole idea of teamwork and planning being better than an individuals skill at running and gunning was the main idea behind the game and it's similar with ARMA.

Basically Planetside was a step ahead of many games at the time, it had an accuracy system so being crouched and firing controlled bursts actually mattered, there were bullet ballistics albeit basic ones and there were hundreds of support roles just as valuable as combat roles. It had a brilliant netcode and graphics and remains the only game in which 500+ people could have a fight on a huge continent, and then fly off to another continent and fight there without switching servers or anything. It was a persistant massively multiplayer shooter.

However at the time (2003) it had surprisingly few subscribers, PC Gamer UK, one of the few Gaming reviewers I trust gave it massive amounts of support, providing trials to the game and disks with the game on it. They made it game of the year and featured it in every top 100 games of the year from 2003-2010. Generally in the 20-1 band. SOE did nothing to advertise it, they practically hid it. I think at its peak it had about 5000 players on the EU server, far more on the US ones, perhaps 30,000-40,000 all in all. For a game of it's calibre and brilliance that was a tiny amount, this game was a revolution at the time and I still haven't played a game as good as it was at it's peak, however Sony Online Entertainment gave all it's advertising money to Everquest 2 and let Planetside die a death so that generic WoW clone alpha could rake in the cash. ARMA 2, like Planetside, has a tiny following despite its massive depth, technical brilliance, high fidelity and massive modability. People on the consoles pay 15 quid to get 3 maps for Call of Duty, in ARMA you can just look to the community and download high quality mods for free and change the game any number of ways. You can get a zombie mod for fun, or ACE if you want an even deeper experience, I imagine if BIS was a developer the size of EA, ARMA 2 would be this years Call of Duty and would have millions of players but reviewers like IGN and Gamespot don't recieve money in the back pocket to overhype the sheeple about it so it doesn't get the popularity it deserves.

PC Gamer have also put massive support for ARMA 2, they commonly write stories about their experiences and give it a massive thumbs up, just as they did with Planetside. However since the vast majority of gamers judge how good a game is on what Official Xbox Magazine gives it or IGN says we end up with relatively generic games being the top ones.

---------- Post added at 03:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:24 AM ----------

As has all industry.... mindless consumers... fashion victims.

Each generation gets stupider and easier to dupe... they're called sheeple.

Nah, each generation is just as easy as each other to dupe. You just have to dupe them in a different way.

Just as people convinced others they had magical powers in prehistory, or kings convinced their people they were sent from god or were divine. Corporations today stick a designer label on the sweat-shop made clothes that other shops sell for £5 and charge £1000 for it. They sell drinks to 'improve regularity' and say they have bacteria like 'Activus Digestvium' or 'Bifidus Regularis' which are just renamed common bacteria that are already present in your digestive system. They just play on the laypersons total lack of basic biological/scientific knowledge. From the most basics of knowledge you can determine that all their claims are pure-BS since even if you were 'low' on bacteria they reproduce so quickly that there is no need to consume them and they reach their maximum sustainable population in hours, at most a day. The only reason they wouldn't be there is because something is killing them off, in which case drinking more bacteria won't help because they'll just die as well. Not to mention the fact that they'll be destroyed by the bodies many defenses which are there for the very purpose of killing ingested microorganisms.

Just as food companies make laughable claims with Yoghurts or snack bars game companies like EA just buy up the unique developers (Westwood, DICE etc) and just force them to re-release terrible versions of their original product. Generally massively stripped down from their original state and with all their originality and flair destroyed. They then pay the games reviewers to advertise their game and hype it up as the 'Next big release' so that when it comes out everyone buys it.

Just look at Bad Company/Bad Company 2. EA completely missed the idea of Battlefield 2/ Battlefield 1942. They totally changed the product, removed dedi servers removed all the community. Spoiled the game, totally stripped down the mechanics and destroyed what little balance the games had in the first place. Now we have an EXTREMELY casual shooter riddled with balance problems and crippled due to their console port nature. Even further look at Call Of Duty, the only unique game of the series was Call of Duty 1. The rest were either rehashes or just plain bad games. The netcode of Modern Warfare 2 is terrible, they basically urinated in the faces of all PC gamers worldwide and the game is unbalanced to a point that it's funny, that's actually an incredible achievement given that inbalance is generally nothing but rage-inducing. However because they have infinity-bajillion dollars they can just pay for 10/10 ratings and for Microsoft etc to make loads of hype over it. I mean it had a 4 hour long campaign, and that's if you played it SLOWLY, if you just do it as fast as you can you can complete it in under an hour yet it got Game of the year from all the mainstream reviewers.

Being a unique or good game very rarely gets you the credit you deserve, as ARMA 2 shows. People rather fawn over Genero-Console-FPS X because some official magazine gave it 100%

reqire high-spec

It doesn't require high-end PCs because of nothing

stupid ai

Actually it's the best out of all non-trigger-dependable ones (especially with Zeus). In all other open world games AIs just spawn out of nowhere and run at you shooting. And quickly die.

Of course the only case in which AA2's AI glitches disappear is when Bohemia will manage to make AI act exactly like humans do.

Are you joking, right?

Yes you actually have to install mods if you want to play them. Preposterous!

About multiplayer - of course it sucks if crappy Warfare, AAS and Domination are the only things you've tried playing.

Do you really want to do "gimme 20"s and spend hours fixing stuff and cleaning weapons? Sims should be sims to a degree, the one that separates them from being routine. And AA2 is far from shoot kill. You can easily have a mission where you can complete objectives without firing a single shot. If you can't find these missions online you can make one yourself.

try and spray and prey in arma 2.

Tell me another game that has dynamic AI that aint scrypted in a huge open world.

At least Ive never seen another game where the whole tank crew does not see the single soldier 10m in front of the tank on bright daylight!

Honestly, Arma AI sucks since 10 years. And I dont think pointing to other games really helps to improve the quality of this game, cos Im sure most of us want this game and not a different one - just with more improved AI (maybe)..:eek:

Oh, and I think the lack of interest in A2 is cos of the console market, of course. The more consoles are sold the more the average IQ drops! =)

People are definitely playing a different game to me. I just stuck a Warrior with a Takistani Militiaman right in front of him, he turned and killed him. I stuck him behind, he turned and killed him. Left, same, right, same.

People are definitely playing a different game to me. I just stuck a Warrior with a Takistani Militiaman right in front of him, he turned and killed him. I stuck him behind, he turned and killed him. Left, same, right, same.

Heck, put 10 of them out there and "target" which one you want him to shoot 1st.

I would like to see AI running like crazy if they knew an armored vehicle was coming to get them and had no AT weapons, like hiding inside buildings and such. Better yet, use the environment to ambush armor. Like going on the top of a building waiting for the armor to come then unleash terror on them!!!

It´s just a dream!!!

But for those who don´t know how difficult it is to make a game on this grand scale you better turn to codesuckers and their shitty flashpoints. Better yet, go play COD

I would like to see AI running like crazy if they knew an armored vehicle was coming to get them and had no AT weapons, like hiding inside buildings and such. Better yet, use the environment to ambush armor. Like going on the top of a building waiting for the armor to come then unleash terror on them!!!

It´s just a dream!!!

But for those who don´t know how difficult it is to make a game on this grand scale you better turn to codesuckers and their shitty flashpoints. Better yet, go play COD

+1. play those

Gnat;1726140']Vsync ?!

Right ..... the world doesnt play this game because of Vsync being forced on ..... sure.

What is the deal wtih Vsync and A2/OA ??

First, can't it be turned off via your Nvidia card settings? Not within the game, but within the control panel of whatever video card you have?

Should it be turned off??

What effect/affect does it have within A2/OA??